PDA

View Full Version : Always gives me the jitters!!!!

Crimson_Balls
7/23/2008, 07:12 PM
OU 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HCPSryPyRE

yermom
7/23/2008, 07:40 PM
LASooner greatness

V55DtWevqHc

you might as well call that the TD Snatcher video :eek:

AlbqSooner
7/23/2008, 07:49 PM
Goosebumps. Thanks for posting that.

SoonerInLubbock
7/23/2008, 07:52 PM
"and the eye's of Texas have been blackend". LOL love that quote!

semperfisooner
7/23/2008, 10:19 PM
and weren't kstate nebraska and texas all in the top 3 at some point in the season? dang big 12 was loaded and we beat them all. good memories wish we could do that again! that team had more work ethic, heart and motivation then these past teams. we need that again.

r5TPsooner
7/23/2008, 10:45 PM
good stuff

JLEW1818
7/23/2008, 11:05 PM
Did anybody else get teary eyed? Number 15 is huge number to have on defense.

Watching that video again, it just looked more like a team.

PrideAlum
7/24/2008, 01:21 PM
I haven't posted in years. I'm now so pumped that I'm watching South Carolina - Tennessee

AZSOONER
7/24/2008, 01:50 PM
and weren't kstate nebraska and texas all in the top 3 at some point in the season? dang big 12 was loaded and we beat them all. good memories wish we could do that again! that team had more work ethic, heart and motivation then these past teams. we need that again.

Agreed. Something about blue chip kids think they don't need to work as hard crap.

birddog
7/24/2008, 01:57 PM
man, i want to see another magical run like that.

we had some special players that sacrificed to give us a season for the ages.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 02:01 PM
Agreed. Something about blue chip kids think they don't need to work as hard crap.

I agree with that statement. Maybe if they're reading about how great they are then they're also reading about how embarrassing it is to lose two straight Fiesta Bowls.

NormanPride
7/24/2008, 02:33 PM
Oh man, Stoops saying "That's Oklahoma football" at the end gets me every time.

yermom
7/24/2008, 03:13 PM

seems like Texas was #10, KSU was #3 and Nebraska was #1

they could have varied in different polls though

Crimson_Balls
7/24/2008, 04:03 PM
Anyone have Stoops' email addy?

Someone email this clip to Bobby to remind him what its like to be an underdog. And what its like to play with passion.

Do you see the OU sidelines and how everybody's jumpin around? Awesome chemistry in 2000

OKC-SLC
7/24/2008, 09:18 PM
One of the best years of my life, and largely because of that.

OUmillenium
7/25/2008, 11:46 AM

I love rewatching that tape and that quote is money! I think it was Musberger. And now I need to go dig it out and find out fur shur.

We are due for another annihilation of Tejas. Time to go surf austin360 and stir the pot!!!!!

:texan: sux

OUmillenium
7/25/2008, 11:48 AM
One of the best years of my life, and largely because of that.

Same here...got married to an angel...got a job in the Tulsa area and moved to Jenks...got back in the martial arts...played tons of golf...and OU gets back to the top...Sweetness

TMcGee86
7/25/2008, 11:56 AM
unabashed awesomenss.

Man that group was special. Watching Roy hug peeps on the sideline after a pick six vs. UTEP and then works carrying five people into the endzone when up 40 on that same UTEP squad, just really shows how much those guys wanted it.

tru2ou
7/25/2008, 12:42 PM
The loudest I ever heard Owen Field was when Strait intercepted the pass vs. Nebraska in 2000 and took it back for 6. When OU blocked the punt is was crazy too but we only ened up getting a FG out of that blocked kick. That's why I think the interception return was a little louder.

I lived in Carlsbad California that year and made it to every game but the Baylor and TAMU games. I still remember sitting in the upper corner of the stadium in Manhatten and seeing all the Harley's on the field. And how cold it was in KC sitting in the upper deck watching OU win a shot at th national title. Then sitting in the FSU section for the OB and people yelling at my wife and I to sit down. Oh, and a security guard chasing me on the field after the game. I still have the photo of me and Reynaldo Works on the field after the game.

What memories...Hopefully we can make some new ones this year.

- Tru

JLEW1818
7/25/2008, 01:13 PM
"and the final seconds ticking away, and Oklahoma stays unbeaten"

Anybody remember his name?

soonerfan28
7/25/2008, 03:39 PM
Energy and Hunger should be the slogan for this season. Because we haven't played with the same amount since 2000.

Salt City Sooner
7/25/2008, 03:43 PM
I love rewatching that tape and that quote is money! I think it was Musberger. And now I need to go dig it out and find out fur shur.

We are due for another annihilation of Tejas. Time to go surf austin360 and stir the pot!!!!!

:texan: sux

I can save you the trouble. Sean Grande & David Norrie did OU/UT '00.

goingoneight
7/25/2008, 10:09 PM
Anyone have Stoops' email addy?

Someone email this clip to Bobby to remind him what its like to be an underdog. And what its like to play with passion.

Do you see the OU sidelines and how everybody's jumpin around? Awesome chemistry in 2000

That was "Stoops the Hunter" all season long.

Do we not remember a thing about how things were then?

Let me remind you.

1998 = 5-6 record... could have been worse if not for pure dumb luck.

So in 1999 this Stoops dood from Floriduh comes in and delivers a 7-5 season. Happens all the time. Look at all the dimwhits predicting a National Championship after their first bowl season in years (*cough* RUTGERS *cough*). He returns a lot of starters nest year, but it isn't clear to anyone that this defense could actually carry the team because of it's lackluster road game performance and vulnerability to the big play.

UTEP = if we lose this game... there's flat-out something wrong with us and we need to be slapped back down to reality for even thinking 7-5 is possible again. Nice showing by the Sooners, and goingoneight's official first home game of the Stoops era. I haven't made a home-opener since. Blame me, not Venables. :D

ARRR-Kansuhs Aggy = Seriously? Boo's scheduling tactic looks like he's trying to mimmick Snyder at K-State to get back on top. Thankfully he wasn't coaching and the Sooners had another strong showing.

Rice = Another yawner of an opponent gets beat just right... Stoops is careful not to pour it on too much for he knows he's in a whole new league come next game. You can call it hiding your playbook.

Texass = Just in case you don't remember... people were laughing at OUr 3-0 record and calling for a sure 3-3 record by week 7. With #11 Texass, a road game at #2 K-State and #1 Nebraska coming to Norman to beat us down, we were sure to lose at least two of them, right? Wrong. Every week we heard at least one player, coach, ESPN talking head or rival call us out as pretenders, fakes and the like.

6-0 in dominant fashion... and it took OU kneeling in victory formation at 6-0 for the talking heads to finally say "Oklahoma's back... in a big way." Naw... like smacking a top 15 team in the mouth didn't tell the tale? Whatever... I like mouthy critics. At this time, 14 or 15-year old Chase Daniel should be paying attention.

So next up we rack up stats against the 85 Bears. By that I mean the 85 scholarship athletes who pretend to play football for Baylor. #1 gets a little polish to make 'er nice and purdy.

Texas A&M... you remember it. If you don't, go to www.soonersports.com and look at the little video synopsis of the game. The defending BIG 12 Champs had plenty of mouthing off to do. The largest crowd in Texas history witnessed us take the field. The agroids wore "Don't believe the Heup" t-shirts and we heard all kinds of crap leading up to the game from aggy players. It was a game that for most of four quarters left us feeling the same way we all felt in 1999... like we were "almost there" and wanting to puch the lights out of the arrogant Aggies... moreso just because it appeared they were proving what they said all week. Still, OU was just competitive enough throuhout the whole game you just kind of felt something big was going to happen. I think we all know that perhaps the biggest play of the Stoops era still belongs to Torrance Marshall on this very day. No Pontiac Game-Changing Performance will ever top this one. It was a season defining play that just proved we were in it to win it... ALL.

Tech at home was a little closer than we might have wanted to admit, but it appeared this Mike Leach guy was going to succeed no matter where he coached by this time, so we let it slide.

OSU should have been an indicator to Stoops of what would come the next two years... but how do you truly expect a guy out of Iowa to truly know everything about Sooner football, namely that Bed-lame is the Aggy Super Bowl. When you think of OU Football, probably the last thing you think of is some "rivalry" with a team that's only beaten you 14 times in 90+ attempts. Still, a true froshie made another signature play that told the aggies "your time will come... but not tonight." Unfortunately, it would be the best moment he'd have against aggy for quite a long time. Still, "just win" comes to mind in this snoozer of a ballgame.

OU's 11-0, but starting to look a little more human with Josh Heupel banged up. Somehow, this questionable defense has really turned a corner to pick up the slack now that everyone and their brother has offered their left cojone to beat us.

want you to watch this video and pay attention to what Herbstriet says... you'll soon remember that was the National perception of us. Everyone teasing, taunting, itching and drooling waiting for us to fail. If you truly remember this season, you'll remember that aura of things surrounding the Sooners. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Sd47zv0wE&feature=related) We almost lost to a great and determined team... ALMOST. The stage was set when the clock struck all zeros for us to cap the most impressive football season in a long, long... LONG time.

That stage... the grand finale in the Orange Bowl. Need I remind you that the early lines had FSU by as much as three scores.
FSU is missing their star receiver... no big deal, right? Not like BCS Bowls are hard for this "dynasty." Sound familiar?

As you can see... there was not one moment until the final snap of the 13th win that anyone besides the Oklahoma faithful believed. There really was none of this negative attitude... the hunger was there. These Sooner veterans were years separated from success and all their lives had been doubted and expected to come up short. That's not the case for Adrian Peterson, Malcom Kelly, Reggie Smith and the like. All are great Sooners, but you just can't coach these blue-chippers into Josh Heupel's shoes. We can win a National Championship with what we've got... USC has done it, LSU has done it, Miami and Florida as well. Countless others have been in OUr current state and won it all... fact is you just don't know when a great team is 100% fully on the same page as the 2000 squad was. It's a chemistry thing.

Today, we're favored in every game we play, unless Vegas has learned their lesson about January games by now. We have people salivating over the talent on hand in Norman. Not a team in the nation will tell you they don't have room for Jermaine Gresham's 12 TDs, a record-smashing QB with three more years eligibilty, the most dynamic running back in the country and a solid defense to boot. I honestly think we've made OUr bed full of doubters now, but I thought that after Boise State, too. Fact is we all too often get away with crappy performances when you can just tell this team doesn't have half the heart of the 2000 team. Iowa State comes to mind. You want to pick on USC for losing to Stanford? Imagine if OU's defense didn't pull their heads out of their asses on that day? That team had only won one game prior to hosting us. They lost to KENT STATE.

Like the old tune says, "oh, Lord it's hard to be humble." I'll say this, I'm glad to hear in the interviews so far that we don't have a lot of cocky attitudes on this year's team as far as we know.

We're not going to get a MNC game in OUr own backyard, we're not going to take prestige over the SEC or SUC any longer. We're not going to be viewed as a "can't lose" anymore... we've made OUr bed with all these hiccups.

As far as team personality, you can't help but like the level-headed guys we have returning. Sam Bradford, DeMarco Murray, Juaqin Iglesias, Manuel Johnson, Coop... lots of guys on offense to have fun, play well but at the same time keep our cool and composure.

Nic Harris, Brian Jackson, Gerald McCoy, Auston English... you can't help but like those guys... and you know they're going to continue to lead like they always have. It's just the one kind of thing you know you can count on in CFB.

There's plenty of crowd-pleasers to make it fun and get us involved as well, from coaches to players. Cale Gundy (likes to wake up the crowd), Bob and BV (intensity), Gresham and Murray (everybody's favorite guys to meet in the endzone). 2008 is a one-step-at-a-time situation that again looks positive. Look around, not everyone (*cough* Nebraska, Texass, Michigan *cough*!!!) can say the same.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/25/2008, 10:36 PM
I only regret that they didn't show how AWESOME Ontei Jones was in the Orange Bowl that year. He will always be my MVP of that game.

He made so many key plays that will never be recognized. I

t's a damned shame.

That was his best game as a Sooner.

He had everything to do with that win.

goingoneight
7/25/2008, 10:46 PM
No ****, dood... you said it. The guy was on fire on both D and ST that night. He took out their best RB on that screen pass when he blew it up. Then he covered a kickoff as good as I've ever see one guy cover all by himself. And add to his resume, he picked off the final FSU play to seal the deal.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/26/2008, 06:28 AM
Texass = Just in case you don't remember... people were laughing at OUr 3-0 record and calling for a sure 3-3 record by week 7.

I do remember. And we were 4-0 going into Texas, not 3-0. We had a somewhat lackluster game against Kansas the week before, and people were bee-hatching out of their minds. Even Trabor, not one for even-handedness for sure, was saying (paraphrasing), "People need to get a grip. You just took care of a pretty good Kansas team. You don't get to play UTEP and Rice every week in the Big XII."

And aTm was not the defending Big XII champ. Nebraska was.

Man, I forgot how nasty our defense was in the Orange Bowl. They were just killing guys. Those hits must have set off seismographs all over South Florida..

stoopified
7/26/2008, 09:07 AM

May favis : Mack Brown has the look of a puzzled,puzzzled man.

OKC-SLC
7/26/2008, 09:56 AM
I had forgotten just how hard K State blitzed Josh in that CCG.

soonersweetie
7/27/2008, 09:17 PM
Just WOW! If that doesn't get you ready for football season, well, then you're dead.

That was an amazing year for many reasons, but as previously said, one of them was our return to greatness.

We played with such hunger and passion and determination. I agree, let's email it to Bob.

I have a feeling that this year is going to be good, really good :)

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!