PDA

View Full Version : "99 percent" of autistic children are misdiagnosed "brats"

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2008, 09:56 PM
Source (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,388861,00.html)

Angry parents and activists were still waiting on Tuesday for Michael Savage to apologize for describing "99 percent" of autistic children as misdiagnosed "brats," with some groups calling on Talk Radio Network to fire the syndicated radio host.

Jim Ward, founder and president of ADA Watch and the National Coalition for Disability Rights, said in a statement on Monday:

"ADA Watch/NCDR calls on Talk Radio Network to fire Michael Savage. As America prepares to celebrate the 18th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on July 26, people with disabilities, parents, family members, friends and advocates across the nation are outraged over Savage's latest attack on people with disabilities.

"His despicable assault on children with autism — calling them 'frauds' and 'brats' — is rightly being condemned as hateful and bigoted. But it is just the latest of Savage's numerous and painful attempts to demean and disenfranchise people with disabilities."

Talk Radio Network didn't immediately respond to FOXNews.com's request for comment.

Late Monday afternoon, Aflac, the insurance company, announced it was withdrawing all advertising from Savage's show.

"We understand that radio hosts pick on any number of targets however we found Michael Savage’s recent comments to be both inappropriate and insensitive," Laura Kane, a company spokeswoman, said in a statement.

Savage offered no apology in a message posted Monday on his Web site (he made the comments last Wednesday). He said greedy doctors and drug companies were creating a "national panic" by overdiagnosing autism, a mental disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate.

On his radio show last week, Savage said: "What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, you idiot.'"

Savage also said: "In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out."

Children's advocates want Savage to apologize and retract his statements. They are also calling for a boycott of stations that air Savage's show.

Protesters gathered on Monday outside WOR-AM in New York City, which broadcasted Savage's remarks.

WOR posted this statement on its Web site:

"The views expressed by Michael Savage are his views and are not those of WOR Radio. As Michael Savage is a syndicated show, the content is the responsibility of the syndicator, which is Talk Radio Networks. Unfortunately, it is impossible for WOR Radio to know the subject matter in advance of airing. WOR is in the business of serving the community in which we broadcast. That is our stated goal, and we will continue to do so. We regret any consternation that his remarks may have caused to our listeners."

Savage's statement was also posted on the WOR710.com Web site:

"My comments about autism were meant to boldly awaken parents and children to the medical community's attempt to label too many children or adults as 'autistic.' Just as some drug companies have overdiagnosed 'ADD' and 'ADHD' to peddle dangerous speed-like drugs to children as young as 4 years of age, this cartel of doctors and drug companies is now creating a national panic by overdiagnosing 'autism' for which there is no definitive medical diagnosis!"

Wendy Fournier of the National Autism Association, a parents' advocacy group, said she was invited to speak Monday on Savage's three-hour program by Savage's boss, Mark Masters of Talk Radio Network, which syndicates the show across the country.

Fournier called Savage's comments "way, way, way over the line and cruel."

"I'm hoping to make him see the reality of what these kids are facing," she said. "You can't fix it by telling a kid to shut up. It's like telling a kid with cancer to stop being sick."

Evelyn Ain, whose 8-year-old son has been diagnosed with autism, said she had never heard of Savage and couldn't believe what she had heard when she first listened to the remarks. She organized the demonstration Monday outside WOR-AM.

"That isn't just freedom of speech, it is hateful speech when you say 99 percent of children with autism are brats," she said. "I'll tell you, I wish I had a brat."

Savage, with more than 8 million listeners a week, is talk radio's third most popular personality behind Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, according to Talkers magazine. He's made a living off bold, outrageous statements: His brief MSNBC show was canceled after he told a caller he should "get AIDS and die, you pig."

Peter Bell, executive vice president of national advocacy group Autism Speaks, said he isn't aware of any big controversy about overdiagnosis of autism. He said Savage's remarks, effectively blaming parents, reflect an outdated point of view.

"He's an entertainer, he does these things for attention," Bell said. "I think we should, to the best we can, ignore it."

Autism Speaks also posted this statement on its Web site:

"One important goal of increasing awareness about autism is to foster a greater level of acceptance and understanding of the very real and significant challenges it poses to individuals with the disorder and their families. The good news is that we see more and more expressions of this compassion every day and everywhere, from classrooms and playgrounds to ballparks and supermarkets. Unfortunately, there are those who are apparently incapable of feeling compassion. They deserve our pity, not our scorn."

The government estimates about 1 in 150 children have some form of autism. But many experts believe these unsociable behaviors were just about as common 30 or 40 years ago and that the increase is mostly caused by a surge in special education services and a corresponding shift in diagnoses.

:pop:

JohnnyMack
7/22/2008, 09:59 PM
Michael Savage is a piece of crap.

Soonrboy
7/22/2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah, friggin idiot has never been in an autism classroom or he'd keep his friggin mouth shut.

Veritas
7/22/2008, 10:26 PM
While Michael Savage is wrong, there are mountains of kids misdiagnosed as having ADD, ADHD. After all, it's much easier to write off a child's abhorrent behavior to some illness rather than having to take responsibility for the fact that you're just a ****ty *** parent and that your child is a reflection of your ineptitude.

tommieharris91
7/22/2008, 10:30 PM
While Michael Savage is wrong, there are mountains of kids misdiagnosed as having ADD, ADHD. After all, it's much easier to write off a child's abhorrent behavior to some illness rather than having to take responsibility for the fact that you're just a ****ty *** parent and that your child is a reflection of your ineptitude.

Over/under on when this thread gets locked: 5 pages.

Mixer!
7/22/2008, 10:48 PM
20 posts/page = DONE!

sooner_born_1960
7/22/2008, 11:21 PM
Mixer, that's not how it works. You have to take over or under.

Viking Kitten
7/22/2008, 11:22 PM
Correspondingly, 99 percent of Michael Savage's listening audience is drooling troglodytes.

Soonrboy
7/22/2008, 11:26 PM

There is a HUGE difference between a kid with autism and kid with ADHD. Huge.

Curly Bill
7/22/2008, 11:33 PM
I'm taking the under

start talking about kids and peeps get all pissed off

edit...it's like talking about race or abortion, you aren't going to win or convince anybody of anything, you're just gonna make them mad and yourself too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/22/2008, 11:39 PM
There is a HUGE difference between a kid with autism and kid with ADHD. Huge.
Exactly. All of the people who think kids with autism are just bratty little ****s have obviously never been around them. It's thinking like Michael Savage's that makes it difficult to get needed legislation so these kids' treatment can be insured.

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 11:47 PM
There should be a poll on this.

Vcash is my internet friend.

soonerscuba
7/22/2008, 11:59 PM
Over/under on when this thread gets locked: 5 pages.
Depends on when "the v word" shows up. I'm going over, the board has been pretty civil lately.

texas bandman
7/23/2008, 12:30 AM

And some parents just want their kids to be diagnosed ADHD so that they can medicate them into zombies. I once had a clarinet player in my band that walked through life in a stupor and I could never get 2 words out of him (he was in my band for 7 years). After he got out of high school he came off of the medication and he actually came into the band hall after homecoming and talked to me for a couple of hours. For his parents, the drugs made raising him easy. Sad :(

stoops the eternal pimp
7/23/2008, 12:37 AM
My nephew is autistic...believe me, we all wish it was just him being a brat, because then we would have a clue on what to do

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2008, 12:39 AM
My nephew is autistic...believe me, we all wish it was just him being a brat, because then we would have a clue on what to do

Nah. Your sibling is just a ****ty parent.

:rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
7/23/2008, 01:50 AM
Honestly, I don't know who that guy is because I don't listen to talk radio, but he sounds like an idiot

olevetonahill
7/23/2008, 02:06 AM

Verytiitays
I got to agree with you somewhat
My Oldest Kid which a few here have Met was LABLED LD thru school
I yanked hisass Out and taught him at Home till the Popos came Knocking , I didnt have the Home school Thingy
That LD kid Now reads Blue prints and Runs High Tech welding Jobs
I was right the school and Popos were wrong
There Is a Lot Of Mis Lableing going on
IF a Kid Has a prob Treat em as best you Can But dont lay it at the Parents feet either . The schools Back then were the Prob .

olevetonahill
7/23/2008, 02:10 AM
Exactly. All of the people who think kids with autism are just bratty little ****s have obviously never been around them. It's thinking like Michael Savage's that makes it difficult to get needed legislation so these kids' treatment can be insured.

Ive been around Severly Retarded Kids and I loved em all . They are all Gods children
Not saying an Autistic child Is Retarded . Just sayin Every Child Is gifted In some way .
Did I mess that up ?:confused:

Ike
7/23/2008, 02:41 AM
This just in:

Talk radio hosts talk out of their ***es. Film at 11.

olevetonahill
7/23/2008, 02:43 AM
This just in:

And so does Olevets ?

Scott D
7/23/2008, 06:55 AM
Depends on when "the v word" shows up. I'm going over, the board has been pretty civil lately.

the word Veritas appeared in the 4th post. so based on the fact that there was a verititttays sighting in the thread it should have been locked before you posted. :D

frankensooner
7/23/2008, 09:06 AM
Jeff Gillooly should smash that guy's kneecaps.

Viking Kitten
7/23/2008, 09:17 AM
Jeff Gilooly would want to get paid. I'd kick him in the junk for free.

SoonerJack
7/23/2008, 09:37 AM
And I never thought I would hear the name Jeff Gilooly again. I think Savage is confusing autism with something else, like ADHD, which is routinely over-diagnosed. I know a family with 4 kids and every one of them was placed on ritalin. it was like they were raising freakin' zombies. I felt bad for the kids.

soonervegas
7/23/2008, 09:50 AM
SoonerJack is right. This guy is uninformed. He is thinking ADHD in his mind...and you know what he is partially correct. Not every rowdy boy needs to be put on ridalin. It's ridiculous....

But the fact that he used autistic just shows his ignorance. Like everyone has said....if you a child with autism, there is no way they are just being "bratty". That's like saying a cancer patient is just not eating enough.

StoopTroup
7/23/2008, 09:58 AM
I don't think it matters what some guy on the radio says....

I've attended The Special Olympics.

I went as a Super Hero.

Those kids have lots of love to give.

I was changed forever.

If you have never been apart of Special Olympics...don't be scared. Just Dive right in and leave all of your misconceptions at Home if you have them that is.

It's an experience you'll never forget and when you run into a Special Kid...you'll know how to react.

I can't say enough about my experiences...

If your a Parent or Relative of one of these great kids...you too are a very special person IMO.

God Bless you all.

ST

badger
7/23/2008, 10:11 AM
There was a time when a teacher thought I had ADD. I didn't - I was just a student that wasn't learning anything in her class and didn't feel like doing her assignments. Oh, and I had a lot of energy which didn't really translate well to the sit-in-your-desk-and-shut-up classroom setting.

I think it's easy to write off kids problems as a disorder or an illness rather than look at the issue from another perspective.

I was definitely being a brat, no question. However, in retrospect, I think that the teacher didn't fathom the thought that she wasn't able to teach someone through those sit-in-your-desk-and-shut-up methods.

SoonerBBall
7/23/2008, 10:20 AM
Michael Savage is a *********, but it seems pretty clear that (like all talk radio hosts) he was exaggerating to make his point. Whether or not his point has merit, I don't know. I tend to lean towards our society over-diagnosing nearly everything these days just to avoid dealing with the consequences of under-diagnosing the very same problems.

Regardless, calling for him to apologize is stupid. If he stands behind the statement and his bosses stand behind him on the matter, then who cares? It is just like the "nappy headed hoes" comment. It is up to the listeners to decide with their radio dials and the advertisers to vote with their ad dollars. It isn't up to Michael Savage to say popular things to make us love him if he doesn't feel like it.

TMcGee86
7/23/2008, 10:21 AM
I listen to Savage.

I think he, like all radio talk show hosts that gain any level of popularity, is a self-absorbed blow hard. He was good for about a year, then he became so full of himself that he's nearly unlistenable now.

I only listen now because he was one of the only ones who didn't have Bush's scrotal region firmly planted in his mouth from the beginning (before it became popular to bash Bush) and wasn't afraid to say when he disagreed with the President.

Most on here are right, he is lumping Autism in with ADD/ADHD.

I think what he said is wrong, and it's obvious he hasn't been around many true cases of Autism, as they are nothing like ADD kids, and usually dont act like brats, they act sort of strangely withdrawn and distant, quite the opposite of bratty behavior in my mind anyway.

But I think he's right in that there is an inherent risk of over-diagnosis of something like Autism that has no actual medical definition. And he's right that such a risk runs parallel to the drug companies pushing doctors to prescribe whatever medication they can convince people to buy.

It's a profitable gambit. And it hurts the children who really suffer from the disorder, and the parents of those children.

Viking Kitten
7/23/2008, 10:21 AM
Since the d-bag said "autism" and refused to apologize when called on the carpet by parents dealing with autism, one can only assume his ignorant a** meant "autism."

frankensooner
7/23/2008, 10:24 AM
Lit M-80 up where the sun don't shine, that'll learn him.

StoopTroup
7/23/2008, 10:24 AM
What happened to the good old days when the Townspeople could go take care of the Frankenstein Monster?

TMcGee86
7/23/2008, 10:26 AM
Since the d-bag said "autism" and refused to apologize when called on the carpet by parents dealing with autism, one can only assume his ignorant a** meant "autism."

Oh he most definitely meant it. He just lumps them all together in one big category.

It's also important to note that Savage is a doctor (Phd) who studied alternative medicines early in his career.

He has lived abroad in places like Fiji trying to find natural cures to common diseases.

I am in no way defending him here, just trying to give a clearer picture of where he comes from and the reason for the distrust of the pharmacological industry.

frankensooner
7/23/2008, 10:31 AM
So, he is an expert like Tom Cruise?

StoopTroup
7/23/2008, 10:36 AM

I'd like to apologize about the Monster comment...

I now realize that was uncalled for and very inappropriate.

I am deeply sorry. :D

SoonerStormchaser
7/23/2008, 10:41 AM

DING DING DING! WINNAR!

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid...still have it...and it really pisses me off to see how quickly the docs are nowadays to throw meds at the problem. That South Park ritalin episode really had a point.

badger
7/23/2008, 10:42 AM

You don't know the history of psychiatry, I do!

In all seriousness, there are much easier alternatives available through medical shortcuts than actual discipline of kiddos.

The kid is up screaming and won't go to sleep? Feed some Nyquil.

Your kid doesn't want to spend all summer in the weight room to make the football team? Steroids!

Your child wants to take the day off school to see the new Harry Potter movie at midnight? Call 'em in sick, cuz the school will never know the difference.

Where are we at in society today? Makes me wanna puke ;)

TMcGee86
7/23/2008, 10:48 AM

No. He's not psycho about it like Tom, and he is Jewish, not Scientoli...gish?

And, he actually is sort of an expert on it. He has written a book called Healing Kids Naturally.

While I don't agree with his opinions, nor his alternative means to a solution, I would say having a PHD and studying the subject for a decade plus, makes you an "expert".

He's still a blow hard, and an ******* most of the time. Usually it makes for good radio, and then every so often he shoves his foot down his throat, like he's done here.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/23/2008, 10:58 AM
Lit M-80 up where the sun don't shine, that'll learn him.

My brother spoke of something a little more violent last night..

One of the most painful parts of dealing with this disease is that you feel like there is nothing you can do most of the time...My nephew spends a fair amount of time with me and I enjoy it but I know it has to be tough to deal with 24/7.....He's a good kid, I just hate it for him.We turn off the TV while he at our house, because he'll repeat back every show he sees after seeing it once. He s now at a point where he can tell you when he needs something but sometimes all you get is cartoon quotes and stuff like that.....What I can't stand is the adults who point and whisper when we go places....I wish we could be there for him everytime someones does so I could put them in their place....

OUDoc
7/23/2008, 11:18 AM
I'd like to know what medicine for Autism he thinks is driving this over-diagnosis by pharmaceutical companies. What an *******.

bonkuba
7/23/2008, 11:19 AM
And some parents just want their kids to be diagnosed ADHD so that they can medicate them into zombies. I once had a clarinet player in my band that walked through life in a stupor and I could never get 2 words out of him (he was in my band for 7 years). After he got out of high school he came off of the medication and he actually came into the band hall after homecoming and talked to me for a couple of hours. For his parents, the drugs made raising him easy. Sad :(

I hate to agree....but I must. My wife is an elementary teacher and it is amazing how many parents actually look forward to putting their kids on meds so they don't have to do any parenting.......really I am not joking at all. Dope 'em up so I don't have to deal with them.:mad:

Now, I know that there are real cases....believe me. But it is amazing how many are just "I don't want to deal with that....isnt there a med for that??".

Me? I love my kids to much to dope em up with meds (for ADD or ADHD or whatever symptom some smart doc comes up with). I will trying parenting first.:D

bonkuba
7/23/2008, 11:21 AM
I don't think it matters what some guy on the radio says....

I've attended The Special Olympics.

I went as a Super Hero.

Those kids have lots of love to give.

I was changed forever.

If you have never been apart of Special Olympics...don't be scared. Just Dive right in and leave all of your misconceptions at Home if you have them that is.

It's an experience you'll never forget and when you run into a Special Kid...you'll know how to react.

I can't say enough about my experiences...

If your a Parent or Relative of one of these great kids...you too are a very special person IMO.

God Bless you all.

ST

Good for you!!! :D :D :D

achiro
7/23/2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know who this savage is, I don't agree with him but I will say that there are a lot of autistic kids that full well understand discipline and lack there of. In many cases, the parents "baby" the kid because of their autism and let them get away with a lot of stuff that they shouldn't. On the other hand, there are a lot of Autistic kids that really don't get it at all.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/23/2008, 11:32 AM
I agree..I don't know everybody's situation involving autism, but I know my nephew understands what to do and not to do to a certain extent. Now if its something that cause him to go into an episode, its tough to bring him back down.

My brother and his wife divorced a few years ago, and its rough on the boy...When he is at home with his mom, She (by her own admission) turns a tv on in his bedroom and he's in there all day..When he comes to my brothers, it seems like it takes days to get his head cleared to engage in some light conversation and get him in a mode of listening to directions...She treats him like he is not capable of much, and my brother sometimes expects too much from him...But he's trying to help him learn to be with people and interact with them

Soonrboy
7/23/2008, 11:38 AM
You know, learning how to parent an autism kid has to be hard, and I'm sure many don't do a good job of it. Hell, being a parent of a "normal" child is hard enough, why insult the parents of a autistic child about not knowing how to do it?

badger
7/23/2008, 11:44 AM
You know, learning how to parent an autism kid has to be hard, and I'm sure many don't do a good job of it. Hell, being a parent of a "normal" child is hard enough, why insult the parents of a autistic child about not knowing how to do it?

Life is hard.
http://ammaryasir.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/14639.jpg
Hang in there. :)

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2008, 12:13 PM
I'd like to know what medicine for Autism he thinks is driving this over-diagnosis by pharmaceutical companies. What an *******.

Doc, he has a PhD in something and spent time studying alternative medicine among pre-technological tribespeople.

How dare you, with your medical degree based on hundreds of years of experimentation and scientific evidence, question Michael Savage?

shaun4411
7/23/2008, 12:20 PM
savage is funny. he is usually right. not always. he is an entertainer afterall. money says his ratings have risen since this happened.

fyi: he does have a phd in nutrition

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/23/2008, 02:59 PM
I volunteered at the Autism Walk earlier this year. There were about 10,000 people in attendance over the course of the day.

Next year when I volunteer, I'll be sure and stand on the pitching mound at The Brick and tell all those parents that autism is no big deal. Their kids are just hyper.

Scott D
7/23/2008, 05:48 PM
It's also important to note that Savage is a doctor (Phd) who studied alternative medicines early in his career.

Those who can, practice (MD) those who can't, observe (PhD) :D

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2008, 05:52 PM
fyi: he does have a phd in nutrition

Well, that certainly makes him an authority on peanut butter. Not so sure what it does for his diagnostic pediatric psychology credentials.

homerSimpsonsBrain
7/24/2008, 10:43 AM
It always amazes me when a guy gets a PhD in the mating rituals of prehistoric moonbats, he automatically becomes an expert on absolutely everything.

tbl
7/24/2008, 11:02 AM
I was on the way home last night flipping through and stumbled onto his show. He said the quotes were completely taken out of context and that the problem is all the misdiagnosis's of autism. He said he knows autism is real; his own brother had it so severe that he had to live his life in an institution. I agree with him that not as many people have it as are diagnosed.

badger
7/24/2008, 11:10 AM
It always amazes me when a guy gets a PhD in the mating rituals of prehistoric moonbats, he automatically becomes an expert on absolutely everything.

You can now get PhD's in the mail for $50, right?

I'M A DOCTOR NOW, DANG IT!

SCOUT
7/24/2008, 11:26 AM
To save the trouble, here is the intro to his Wiki page.

Michael Alan Weiner (born March 31, 1942 in New York City), better known by his pseudonym Michael Savage, is an American radio host, author, and conservative political commentator. His nationally-syndicated talk show, The Savage Nation, airs throughout the United States on Talk Radio Network. He holds master's degrees in medical botany and medical anthropology and he earned a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, in nutritional ethnomedicine. As Michael Weiner, he has written books on herbal medicine and homeopathy. As Michael Savage, he has written four New York Times bestsellers. His radio show reaches more than 10 million listeners on 410 stations throughout the United States, ranking third in number of stations syndicated nationwide and third in nationwide audience behind Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

Savage summarizes his political philosophy in three words: borders, language, and culture. Some, including Savage himself, have characterized his views as conservative nationalism.[2] Consequently, he is a critic of illegal immigration, a supporter of the English-only movement, and claims that liberalism and same-sex marriage are degrading American culture. Although his radio delivery is sometimes characterized by colorful language and a confrontational approach, much of his show involves ruminating on topics such as history, culture (food, books, television), health issues, and personal anecdotes. His show is peppered with such phrases as "liberalism is a mental disorder", and many of his comments have earned Savage the criticism of liberal groups and even some conservatives.

And the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage_%28commentator%29

Weiner, heh.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2008, 11:27 AM
I was on the way home last night flipping through and stumbled onto his show. He said the quotes were completely taken out of context and that the problem is all the misdiagnosis's of autism. He said he knows autism is real; his own brother had it so severe that he had to live his life in an institution. I agree with him that not as many people have it as are diagnosed.

"In 99% of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent?"
"They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz.'"

There's the quotes in context.

Viking Kitten
7/24/2008, 11:40 AM
As Doc already pointed out, there is no reason anyone would be "overdiagnosing" autism. There is no magic pill for it. In about half the states, an autism diagnosis would completely f*** a family because their insurance then wouldn't be required to cover any of the associated treatments. So "ruminate" on something else, Mr. Savage.

frankensooner
7/24/2008, 11:42 AM
You mean Mister Weiner. (sometimes a name just fits) ;)

TMcGee86
7/24/2008, 04:52 PM
As Doc already pointed out, there is no reason anyone would be "overdiagnosing" autism. There is no magic pill for it. In about half the states, an autism diagnosis would completely f*** a family because their insurance then wouldn't be required to cover any of the associated treatments. So "ruminate" on something else, Mr. Savage.

I think he claims the reason behind the overdiagnosing is actually misdiagnosing because we have no real parameters for what the disease actually is or is not, and he believes lazy doctors lump kids into the broad category of Austism because it gives them an out. And the parent's readily accept it because it takes the blame off them.

MR2-Sooner86
7/24/2008, 05:15 PM
I listen to Savage.

I think he, like all radio talk show hosts that gain any level of popularity, is a self-absorbed blow hard. He was good for about a year, then he became so full of himself that he's nearly unlistenable now.

I only listen now because he was one of the only ones who didn't have Bush's scrotal region firmly planted in his mouth from the beginning (before it became popular to bash Bush) and wasn't afraid to say when he disagreed with the President.

Most on here are right, he is lumping Autism in with ADD/ADHD.

I think what he said is wrong, and it's obvious he hasn't been around many true cases of Autism, as they are nothing like ADD kids, and usually dont act like brats, they act sort of strangely withdrawn and distant, quite the opposite of bratty behavior in my mind anyway.

But I think he's right in that there is an inherent risk of over-diagnosis of something like Autism that has no actual medical definition. And he's right that such a risk runs parallel to the drug companies pushing doctors to prescribe whatever medication they can convince people to buy.

It's a profitable gambit. And it hurts the children who really suffer from the disorder, and the parents of those children.

I won't write anything and will just agree with most of this. Listen to the guy myself but think this was over the line and grouped things together too much.

However, I do agree with him on his whole "take a pill" age we're in. Kid won't behave? Take a pill. Want to lose weight? Take a pill. Kid won't do his homework? Take a pill. Want to build muscle? Take a pill.

As he stated many children aren't developing into people, going through the life experiences that shape us as a person because they're on some prescription medications that affect their minds. Now as some people have stated with stories on here with parents doping up their kids, do you not agree somewhat?

PhilTLL
7/24/2008, 05:41 PM
I think he claims the reason behind the overdiagnosing is actually misdiagnosing because we have no real parameters for what the disease actually is or is not, and he believes lazy doctors lump kids into the broad category of Austism because it gives them an out. And the parent's readily accept it because it takes the blame off them.

Pardon my terseness, but yeah right. :rolleyes: Autistic parents are routinely consumed with guilt that they're somehow responsible for their child's condition. I've known many who were thus wrought, like my aunt and uncle. But then again, you do listen to Dr. Weiner, so what should I expect.

Scott D
7/24/2008, 08:22 PM
To save the trouble, here is the intro to his Wiki page.

And the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage_%28commentator%29

Weiner, heh.

ooh, I know I'm going to go to a guy who studied dead plants and fossils to get his masters degree about autism. Maybe that extinct 300 million year old plant held the key to autism.

goingoneight
7/24/2008, 09:54 PM
My brother-in-law had a step-brother that his mama always catered to. When he messed up something or got in trouble, even just had a disagreement with someone, mama said it was a condition. So I don't see the kid for about two years and next time I see him he's dropped a ****load of weight and acts like a mature gentleman.

The answer to his "condition," USMC boot camp cured him.

Now... is there a such thing as autism, you betcha. But I'm one to believe a lot of problems kids have today is a product of their upbring. You can't blame it all on the parents, but you can't just be naive, either. I quit taking medication when I was a kid for ADHD... I didn't tell anybody for a few weeks until mom asked and noticed that I was just fine without it. As it turns out, we didn't need to drug me, we just needed that little counseling you typically have with the doc prior to prescription. My mom is a great mom, great family, no divorce drama, no step-siblings or any crazy drama. We just weren't on the same page as I was a little hellion for awhile.

Again... I'm not everybody, neither is the bro-in-law's step-bro. However, that's two off the top of my head. A doctor, no matter how smart or experienced, is only evaluating you based off of what you tell him. How many times have you told a mechanic what's wrong with your car, only to have it misdiagnosed? Granted, we're not machines... but you get the comparison. He listens, he watches... and after a short while he diagnoses. Anyone who has ever been in an emergency room with a heart attack scare can tell you that doctors do indeed slip up and/or make mistakes, too. The common belief is that most are trigger-happy with the ritalins and such. Not my words, commoners words.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2008, 10:18 PM
Seriously? You guys really think that Autism is the same thing as ADD?

They are two totally different things. The few Autistic kids I know are the exact opposite of having an attention deficit disorder.

Half a Hundred
7/24/2008, 10:33 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/6689/calvinaddremix8sfyd8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/6689/calvinaddremix8sfyd8.b6e41bc313.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=76&i=calvinaddremix8sfyd8.jpg)

I know it's not real, but it's appropriate

Soonrboy
7/24/2008, 11:33 PM
My brother-in-law had a step-brother that his mama always catered to. When he messed up something or got in trouble, even just had a disagreement with someone, mama said it was a condition. So I don't see the kid for about two years and next time I see him he's dropped a ****load of weight and acts like a mature gentleman.

The answer to his "condition," USMC boot camp cured him.

Now... is there a such thing as autism, you betcha. But I'm one to believe a lot of problems kids have today is a product of their upbring. You can't blame it all on the parents, but you can't just be naive, either. I quit taking medication when I was a kid for ADHD... I didn't tell anybody for a few weeks until mom asked and noticed that I was just fine without it. As it turns out, we didn't need to drug me, we just needed that little counseling you typically have with the doc prior to prescription. My mom is a great mom, great family, no divorce drama, no step-siblings or any crazy drama. We just weren't on the same page as I was a little hellion for awhile.

Again... I'm not everybody, neither is the bro-in-law's step-bro. However, that's two off the top of my head. A doctor, no matter how smart or experienced, is only evaluating you based off of what you tell him. How many times have you told a mechanic what's wrong with your car, only to have it misdiagnosed? Granted, we're not machines... but you get the comparison. He listens, he watches... and after a short while he diagnoses. Anyone who has ever been in an emergency room with a heart attack scare can tell you that doctors do indeed slip up and/or make mistakes, too. The common belief is that most are trigger-happy with the ritalins and such. Not my words, commoners words.

Congrats to you and the Marine for overcoming ADD...that has nothing to do with children living with autism. Nothing whatsoever.

Okla-homey
7/25/2008, 06:20 AM
I listened to him yesterday during a work-out. The subject of his comment came up. Apparently, he alleges one of the reasons autism is over-diagnosed, and perhaps one of the biggest reasons, is government benefits are available to parents of children with autism tied to various state laws. Particularly in California.

E.g., in California, benefits are paid to families raising an autistic child, while parents of children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, mild to moderate mental or developmental retardation, or even certain brain injuries don't get these benefits. Thus, Savage alleges, parents of kids with these problems in California seek out willing and unethical neurologists who will diagnose autism allowing the parents to fraudulently collect those state benefits. He alleges this problem is widespread and pervasive in California.

Several callers confirmed his allegations at least to the extent they were collecting such benefits or where somehow connected to the system in California and had observed this sort of thing during the course of their employment.

Sounds reasonable if such benefits are available and the criteria he cites are factual.

soonerhubs
7/25/2008, 08:47 AM
Those who think in false dichotomies are usually wrong on both sides of the pendulum. How about we all come clean of this nature vs nurture fiasco and admit that there are multiple underlying factors that lead to such symptoms indicating Autism? Why can't factors such as genetics, stress during birth, negligence on the parents' part, or even diet all be considered a part in this puzzle of multivariate analysis.

I know of a woman who raised each of her kids the exact same way, she put their butts in front of the TV for hours on end. They all came out pretty normal except that last one who was diagnosed with Autism. They have her in special classes now and she's learning how to compensate for the deficiencies caused by said disorder. Is the parent responsible for this disorder? I argue that she's partially to blame, but she wouldn't admit it because her philosophy would say that her other kids turned out just fine. Hence you have other factors that contribute to it. So she's partially correct in her own defense.

Some genetic predispositions never become realized because parents are active stimulating the child and compensate early for such deficiencies. Note that I said SOME. Some cases are more extreme than others, and no amount of activity can compensate in these circumstances.

It's like the Star Wars Theory: If Anakin had never been discovered by Qui Gon and Obi Wan, he never would have become Darth Vader, though he had the genetics perfect for such ventures. :D

In summary the MDs and Mr. Weiner are both partially right. :D

swardboy
7/25/2008, 09:40 AM
Spot on soonerhubler....I try to understand the onslaught of autism diagnosis in a relatively short time, but it's puzzling. I think a cultural shift from the "nuclear family" to over 50% single parenting...to dietary deficiencies...to genetic predisposition....to possible triggering through immunization shots...have got to have their cumulative effect on children.

But I must admit that when 1 out of 150 children are diagnosed with autism, my antennae come out and a red flag goes up.

TMcGee86
7/25/2008, 10:48 AM
Pardon my terseness, but yeah right. :rolleyes: Autistic parents are routinely consumed with guilt that they're somehow responsible for their child's condition. I've known many who were thus wrought, like my aunt and uncle. But then again, you do listen to Dr. Weiner, so what should I expect.

Yeah, I almost prefaced that with obviously this is ONLY in cases of misdiagnosis and not in acutal cases of Austisim.

But I thought it was clear from my post.

Obviously it wasn't, and I apologize.

Scott D
7/25/2008, 01:00 PM
So I've learned that achiro is a lazy guilt ridden parent who just wanted meds for his kid to keep the kid under control, as diagnosed by a guy who got his degree studying extinct plants, and then some made up **** to get a PhD. I'm sure achiro appreciates it.

Animal Mother
7/25/2008, 01:59 PM

That's a load of crap sir!!! You don't really expect me to believe that you believe that Michael Savage thinks, do you?????

Animal Mother
7/25/2008, 02:02 PM
This just in:

This just in.

The popcorn you've been eating has been p*ssed in. Film at 11.

Condescending Sooner
7/25/2008, 04:03 PM
So I've learned that achiro is a lazy guilt ridden parent who just wanted meds for his kid to keep the kid under control, as diagnosed by a guy who got his degree studying extinct plants, and then some made up **** to get a PhD. I'm sure achiro appreciates it.

Yeah, that's exactly what they said. :rolleyes: Geez.

Frozen Sooner
7/25/2008, 04:07 PM

Don't be silly. Why prescribe medicines when he can just crack their backs? ;)

Fugue
7/25/2008, 04:13 PM
This just in.

The popcorn you've been eating has been p*ssed in. Film at 11.

:confused:

Sooner_Bob
7/25/2008, 04:27 PM
"In 99% of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent?"
"They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz.'"

Take the statement about autism out and the guy is dead on about a lot of kids.