PDA

View Full Version : Is this going to be a problem?

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 12:37 PM
...if things go great this season. OUr season opener is against a D-1AA team; UT-Chattanooga.

Now, remember when Auburn went undefeated and didn't get to play in the MNC because one of their victories that year was against D-1AA The Citadel? Everyone said they didn't deserve to play in the MNC because they had scheduled a D-1A opponent. Heck, I said that too. (FWIW, The Citadel beat UT-C last year on the road in Chattanooga 41-17.)

Not to put the cart before the horse, but hey, its pre-season and we have to have something to talk about.

discuss.

:pop:

Jason White's Third Knee
7/22/2008, 12:43 PM
It depends on the W-L of the other elite teams. It could be a problem, but as I recall this was done because someone dropped us from their schedule (Clemson?). We needed a warm body to play.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 01:17 PM
...if things go great this season. OUr season opener is against a D-1A team; UT-Chattanooga.

Now, remember when Auburn went undefeated and didn't get to play in the MNC because one of their victories that year was against D-1A The Citadel? Everyone said they didn't deserve to play in the MNC because they had scheduled a D-1A opponent. Heck, I said that too. (FWIW, The Citadel beat UT-C last year on the road in Chattanooga 41-17.)

Not to put the cart before the horse, but hey, its pre-season and we have to have something to talk about.

discuss.

D-1AA, or more accurately Division 1 Championship subdivision. OU is D-1A, or more accurately Division 1 Bowl subdivision.

And yes, it could be an issue. The BCS formula heavily penalizes for playing a 1AA team, as victories by a 1AA team over other 1AA teams do not factor into the strength of schedule factor while all losses by a 1AA team do factor. At least, that's how I remember it. They may have tweaked it since then. I do know that playing a 1AA team can destroy your computer rankings based on SOS.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 01:23 PM
And I'll throw it out there right now: If OU is undefeated, Georgia is undefeated, and USC is undefeated and neither UGA nor USC played a 1-AA team, they should go to the BCS championship game.

Boomer.....
7/22/2008, 01:29 PM
If strength of schedule is not a factor, it shouldn't matter but I know that some of the voters might consider it later in the season. If I am remembering correctly, you can claim a W against a 1-AA team once every 4 years so we are fine there.

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 01:33 PM
And I'll throw it out there right now: If OU is undefeated, Georgia is undefeated, and USC is undefeated and neither UGA nor USC played a 1-AA team, they should go to the BCS championship game.

Georgia plays two chump teams. They open with Georgia Southern and then face Central Michigan. Not sure, but I think Georgia Southern is D-1AA. Coincidentally, Georgia Southern plays UT-C later in their season. Thus, a bizarre nexus between OU and UGA.

UGA has a BRUTAL road schedule starting in mid-Oct.: LSU, FL, KY* and Auburn...all in a row.

*beat LSU last year up in KY.

USucc plays all D-1A teams. Even though many are PAC 10 opponents.;)

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 01:37 PM
If strength of schedule is not a factor, it shouldn't matter but I know that some of the voters might consider it later in the season. If I am remembering correctly, you can claim a W against a 1-AA team once every 4 years so we are fine there.

That's only for the purposes of getting to 6 wins for bowl eligibility. Has nothing to do with the BCS formulae.

All of the computer rankings have an SOS factor.

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 01:41 PM
That's only for the purposes of getting to 6 wins for bowl eligibility. Has nothing to do with the BCS formulae.

All of the computer rankings have an SOS factor.

IMHO, we cannot lose any games to stay in the hunt with a UT-C on our schedule. Especially if usucc runs the table as everyone expects them to do.

The good news is, that appears do-able.

soonermix
7/22/2008, 01:46 PM
the main reason auburn was left out that year because of the preseason rankings we and succ were 1 and 2 all year it is very hard to jump a team with everybody being undefeated. plus the big 12 is seen as very tough this year comparitevly (sp*) speaking to the last couple of years.
we will be in the top 3 this year so as long as the top two teams aren't already ranked ahead of us we will be fine.

BillyBall
7/22/2008, 01:46 PM
All games scare me but I hate going to Stillwater and College Station. Even if we are superior in all facets of the game, those games are always close.

The Washington game is staring to bother me less now, they open with Oregon and BYU. If they lose both of those, and they will be dogs in both, I would think they would be pretty deflated when we show up.

soonermix
7/22/2008, 01:47 PM
D-1AA, or more accurately Division 1 Championship subdivision. OU is D-1A, or more accurately Division 1 Bowl subdivision.

it may be more accurate but it is stll D-1 and D-1AA to me

soonermix
7/22/2008, 01:48 PM
All games scare me

:eek: :eek: :eek: even Baylor? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 01:50 PM
the main reason auburn was left out that year because of the preseason rankings we and succ were 1 and 2 all year it is very hard to jump a team with everybody being undefeated. plus the big 12 is seen as very tough this year comparitevly (sp*) speaking to the last couple of years.
we will be in the top 3 this year so as long as the top two teams aren't already ranked ahead of us we will be fine.

What's pretty funny is that even considering the preseason rankings, etc. that had Auburn played Bowling Green and we had played the Citadel, they'd have been in the BCS title game.

The reason Auburn had to set up a game with the Citadel? Bowling Green cancelled on them to play us. :D

SicEmBaylor
7/22/2008, 01:56 PM

Every Baylor game scares me.

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 01:58 PM
What's pretty funny is that even considering the preseason rankings, etc. that had Auburn played Bowling Green and we had played the Citadel, they'd have been in the BCS title game.

The reason Auburn had to set up a game with the Citadel? Bowling Green cancelled on them to play us. :D

I was at that AU/Citadel game BTW. Wearing Citadel blue. It was ugly. :eek:

badger
7/22/2008, 01:59 PM
Every Baylor game scares me.

Poor Sic Em. Someday, some other team will take the place of Baylor as the obligatory whipping boy in the conference.

...no, sorry, that day will not come when you are successful. Rather, it will come when you are so unsuccessful that the Big 12 ejects you from the conference in favor of another private school and you are relegated to another conference.

:P

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 02:01 PM
Poor Sic Em. Someday, some other team will take the place of Baylor as the obligatory whipping boy in the conference.

...no, sorry, that day will not come when you are successful. Rather, it will come when you are so unsuccessful that the Big 12 ejects you from the conference in favor of another private school and you are relegated to another conference.

I think they should consider C-USA when Memphis bails. That way, BU could play many of their sister texass private schools every year.

FWIW, I wish Arkie would bolt the SEC for the Big XII.

BillyBall
7/22/2008, 02:02 PM

They did take us to 2ots in Norman in 05.

badger
7/22/2008, 02:09 PM
I think they should consider C-USA when Memphis bails. That way, BU could play many of their sister texass private schools every year.

FWIW, I wish Arkie would bolt the SEC for the Big XII.

The Big 12 could offer more to Ark than the SEC could... except in money, which is likely more important than anything we offer Ark.

Let us debate....

Money or Texas/Arkansas rivalry renewal?
Edge: Money

Money or new regional rivlaries?

Money or a more regional schedule?

Money or a better chance to win the conference?

Money or playing in areas where alumni work and live?

Money or a better chance at recruiting Texas and other Big 12 area studs?

Arkansas needs money more than they need the Big 12. I think other SEC schools would say the same thing.

setem
7/22/2008, 02:38 PM
I am just going to say it right now! USC is not going to run the table! They 2 QB's that have serious mental problems and I don't think either of them can compete in the PAC10.

badger
7/22/2008, 02:46 PM
USC is on the verge of a breakdown. I just don't think Pete Carroll can keep what he has going for very long. Cal and UCLA both have been stealing in-state talent as well as picking up talent that USC shunned (that's what happens when you sign 10 million running backs - players at other positions don't get scholly offers). Something's gotta give.

Also, Carroll, in my opinion, has been giving some recruits a wrong idea of what to expect as far as playing time and what their role will be, hence the transfers and then the rumors among recruits will start. If USC ever gets the NCAA hammer, other coaches will be able to use that as ammo to dissuade recruits from coming to USC, in fear that there's a postseason ban brewing (even if the NCAA findings are for basketball alone).

Carroll has been acting in a way that has no foundation for longterm success. USC will fall.

JLEW1818
7/22/2008, 02:57 PM
...if things go great this season. OUr season opener is against a D-1AA team; UT-Chattanooga.

Now, remember when Auburn went undefeated and didn't get to play in the MNC because one of their victories that year was against D-1AA The Citadel? Everyone said they didn't deserve to play in the MNC because they had scheduled a D-1A opponent. Heck, I said that too. (FWIW, The Citadel beat UT-C last year on the road in Chattanooga 41-17.)

discuss.

Auburn did not start in the top 10 ranking wise. If we start off number 3 and the 2 teams go undefeated ahead of us we are just sol. Don't count on that though. If we win every game we will be in the national championship.
I did a ten page paper on the 04-05 season.

soonerfan28
7/22/2008, 03:38 PM
It depends on the W-L of the other elite teams. It could be a problem, but as I recall this was done because someone dropped us from their schedule (Clemson?). We needed a warm body to play.

I think Joe C said it was Middle Tennessee.

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 04:09 PM
Just a FYI
Mike Stoops AZ. Wildcats are gonna spank that trojan to Bursting :hot:

DarrellZero
7/22/2008, 04:35 PM

I nominate Aggie!

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 05:02 PM
Folks,

I wasn't advocating for USC's chances at an undefeated season. I was just giving a hypothetical. A team that's played only D-1A opponents and is in a major conference who finishes undefeated will most likely jump a team that has played a D1-AA team.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 05:07 PM
And dropping Baylor for Arkansas will never happen. Baylor is in the conference for a reason, and no, it's not Anne Richards.

The Big XII is made up of 11 public institutions and 1 private (Baylor).
The Pac 10 is made up of 9 public institutions and 1 private (Stanford).
The Big 10 is made up of 10 public institutions and 1 private (Northwestern).
The SEC is made up of 11 public institutions and 1 private (Vanderbilt).

Do you see a pattern here?

Admittedly, I may be off on my counts-but the point is that every conference has a private school.

soonerboomer93
7/22/2008, 05:12 PM
USC is private

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 05:16 PM
USC wears trojans on thier privates

Fixed :cool:

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 05:16 PM
Folks,

I wasn't advocating for USC's chances at an undefeated season. I was just giving a hypothetical. A team that's played only D-1A opponents and is in a major conference who finishes undefeated will most likely jump a team that has played a D1-AA team.

Mike I was Just sayin Mikes Boys in the Desert are gonna spank hell outa usc

yermom
7/22/2008, 05:19 PM
And dropping Baylor for Arkansas will never happen. Baylor is in the conference for a reason, and no, it's not Anne Richards.

The Big XII is made up of 11 public institutions and 1 private (Baylor).
The Pac 10 is made up of 9 public institutions and 1 private (Stanford).
The Big 10 is made up of 10 public institutions and 1 private (Northwestern).
The SEC is made up of 11 public institutions and 1 private (Vanderbilt).

Do you see a pattern here?

Admittedly, I may be off on my counts-but the point is that every conference has a private school.

i believe it has something to do with open records or something

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 05:24 PM
USC is private

You are correct. I don't know why I have such a hard time remembering that.

The point remains, though-every major conference contains at least one private school.

ACC-Wake Forest and BC
Big East-'Nova, etc.

Even the non-BCS:

Mountain West-BYU
WAC-Tulsa, SMU

I'm sure the Sunbelt has one or two.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 05:25 PM
i believe it has something to do with open records or something

That's the explanation I always hear.

MojoRisen
7/22/2008, 05:30 PM
Since they factor in Championship Games, we go over Pac 10 and or Big 10

Especially if Mizzou is 10-1 or undefeated.

Our schedule is tough this year - we should be good to go...

badger
7/22/2008, 06:08 PM

Hey, I never put both of those in the same sentence. We could drop Baylor and acquire Arkansas... so long as we...

1- Drop another school (ISU! ISU!) and

2- Replace it with a private institution (A revitalized SMU? A rival upset-to-be TCU?) that fits the geography.

BoulderSooner79
7/22/2008, 06:26 PM
------
------

I think the odds of this game meaning anything by year-end is extremely remote (unless OU manages to lose it). Every team has some cream puffs on their schedule and that is more accepted with the 12 game season. OU will have the pre-season ranking to block other teams from moving up as long as the keep winning (even though that shouldn't matter, it's fact). Remember, something like 60% of the BCS score comes from human polls and politicking it a huge factor - much bigger than who play who on opening day.

yermom
7/22/2008, 06:28 PM
You are correct. I don't know why I have such a hard time remembering that.

The point remains, though-every major conference contains at least one private school.

ACC-Wake Forest and BC
Big East-'Nova, etc.

Even the non-BCS:

Mountain West-BYU
WAC-Tulsa, SMU

I'm sure the Sunbelt has one or two.

Tulsa is C-USA now

stoops the eternal pimp
7/22/2008, 06:33 PM
drop texas for rice

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 06:47 PM
Tulsa is C-USA now

Sweet. That gives C-USA one. :D

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 06:50 PM
So No one is against My statement that the Wildcats are gonna stretch the Condoms ?

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 07:04 PM
Tulsa is C-USA now

Tulsa, Rice, Houston and SMU are in C-USA. That's four private schools in one conference.

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 07:08 PM
So No one is against My statement that the Wildcats are gonna stretch the Condoms ?

I guess NOT :cool:

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 07:13 PM
Mike loves bursting trojans.

JLEW1818
7/22/2008, 07:17 PM
Tulsa, Rice, Houston and SMU are in C-USA. That's four private schools in one conference.

Houston is not a private school.

Salt City Sooner
7/22/2008, 07:19 PM
I'm not, & in fact, I'm hoping & praying that it's true. Arizona & Oregon St. are the only 2 teams with a pulse that they play on the road. Ohio St. Arizona St., Oregon, & Cal are ALL at the Coliseum.

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 07:22 PM
Mike loves bursting trojans.

Yall get thee to
Goazcats .com and help Pump these lil Bros up they are Kinda weak sauce right now
Course I can understand it
they thot (and I did to ) that Mike would turn that program around a lot fastere than he has
But I believe this Is the Year of the Cats

Sco
7/22/2008, 08:41 PM

I'll throw this out there. If UGA and "t"OSU and OU go undefeated this year, the Buckeyes will be left out, guaranteed.

No one will vote them in a third time in a row if they can help it.

VA Sooner
7/22/2008, 08:44 PM
And I'm still wondering about how BYU climbed up so high on everyone's list. I see that collegefootballnews.com has us playing BYU in the Fiesta Bowl.

Not possible... since we'll be in the MNC against UGA. (I don't think that Sanchez is the answer at USC. UGA was scary good at the end of last season and mostly with sophomores on the team).

But not enough firepower against us this year. Team is looking good.

BOOMER!!!!!

RedstickSooner
7/22/2008, 11:55 PM
Teams have been gettin' bones by arses who drop agreed-upon games when it's too late to get a replacement for *years*.

I absolutely cannot fathom how in the world it is possible, here in 2008, that we would not have contracts which include a $10 million cancellation fee.

Clemson is such a chicken-shiite school. I can't believe some pundits are picking those nimrod nancy-boy cowards as their "dark horse" national championship contenders.

KingBarry
7/23/2008, 04:37 AM
The Big 12 could offer more to Ark than the SEC could... except in money, which is likely more important than anything we offer Ark.

Let us debate....

Money or Texas/Arkansas rivalry renewal?

Money or new regional rivlaries?

Money or a more regional schedule?

Money or a better chance to win the conference?

Money or playing in areas where alumni work and live?

Money or a better chance at recruiting Texas and other Big 12 area studs?

Arkansas needs money more than they need the Big 12. I think other SEC schools would say the same thing.

Oh, how refreshing. FINALLY somebody that truly understand college football. Football has to pay the bills for all the other sports. It had better make money, and big money.

soonerfan28
7/23/2008, 06:34 AM
What are the chance that 3 teams finish undefeated?

Okla-homey
7/23/2008, 06:47 AM
Teams have been gettin' bones by arses who drop agreed-upon games when it's too late to get a replacement for *years*.

I absolutely cannot fathom how in the world it is possible, here in 2008, that we would not have contracts which include a $10 million cancellation fee.

Because unreasonably high liquidation clauses in contracts are very difficult to enforce. You can't just pick a number and say "that's what you pay if you cancel." You can't insert a high liquidation clause just to make it scarier for the other party to bail.

Courts will allow them if its difficult to estimate the real cost to the non-breaching party at the time the contract is made and the amount can be shown to be an honest effort at tieing it to the actual loss the non-breaching party will experience if the other party bails. That would be virtually impossible to do in this context, given these contracts are usually executed years in advance of the actual game.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/23/2008, 09:52 AM
I like da way you talks

badger
7/23/2008, 10:02 AM
Oh, how refreshing. FINALLY somebody that truly understand college football. Football has to pay the bills for all the other sports. It had better make money, and big money.

My sarcasm meter is broken, so I can't tell if you're serious or not. However, I will assume that you are, and add that I think many people understand the importance of money with an athletic department and have reviewed Joe C's pie graphs that show how a large amount of revenue are from donors and expenses are paid through donor generosity.

I would have to say that we cannot offer Arkansas a chance at more money and as a program with few top accolades lately, Ark cannot take any chances as donors will not have a reason to increase donations for no apparent reason should they not get the SEC money after joining the Big 12. Yes, Ark has beaten LSU, Ark had a good RB in Run DMc, Ark has been to a few SEC championship games, but Ark needs more when fellow conference foes are getting Heisman winners and finalists, getting conference and national championships, getting major television time.

Would they like the perks that come with Big 12 membership? Of course, but they just don't want to join the Big 12 to get those perks. They'd much rather "rent" membership than "buy" it. An occasional game with Texas to keep tradition up is fine. An occasional series with Big 12 geographic foes is good too.

Arkansas is like... a gold digging wife :eek:

Hehe, Ark fans in the house? Fine, let's make Arkansas the rich trust fund baby seeking love/relationship/trophy girl. Arkansas would rather have a fling or a mistress relationship with the Big 12 than marry the Big 12. That way, Arkansas has an "out" if the Big 12 is suddenly ugly (read: "not raking in the dough") or keep their alternative source of income through their 75-year-old spouse, the SEC.

That's an awful example, but it works :D

Salt City Sooner
7/23/2008, 11:37 AM
Clemson bailed back in 2004. It was MTSU who left us hanging at the last minute.

soonersn20xx
7/23/2008, 12:18 PM
I'll throw this out there. If UGA and "t"OSU and OU go undefeated this year, the Buckeyes will be left out, guaranteed.

No one will vote them in a third time in a row if they can help it.

You're assuming that sportwriters and voters won't consider our post season record as of late. To use the argument that t'OSU has choked the last two years could be turned back on us and our choking.

The media bias and homerism for the little 10 is still a scourge of college football.

badger
7/23/2008, 12:44 PM
You're assuming that sportwriters and voters won't consider our post season record as of late. To use the argument that t'OSU has choked the last two years could be turned back on us and our choking.

The media bias and homerism for the little 10 is still a scourge of college football.

That Little ELEVEN, buddy.

If they have one thing against them (or for them), it's the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that the BCS tries to correct but still sometimes fails. tOSU had one loss to end the season, but they had a little bit of time left to jump up the polls by not losing as of late unlike some other teams.

If two teams had hardcore wins after tOSU's loss and had the same record, tOSU would have been jumped. Before you point out LSU and OU had such hardcore wins in their respective conference championship games, remember that tOSU had a better overall record. Georgia had no hardcore win that week, thus "What have you done for me lately?" kicks in. tOSU didn't lose "lately" in the conference championship week, LSU just had a big SEC win "lately" in the title game, so those two get the nod.

I will once again display my outline for a new championship game. Teams must meet all three criteria to go to the game.

1- Win your conference.
Why: I know OU snuck in after losing our title game, but the next few rules will correct this issue when compared to other conference "champions."

2- No more than one team from each conference is eligible for the game, thus conferences must declare one sole champion.
Why: The NCAA basketball tournament selection committee will not accept a BS "co-champion" excuse from mid-majors hoping for two bids to the tourney, so why should the BCS include two teams from one conference to vie for the championship in the sole title game? Conferences should pick their pony, so to speak. ONE pony.

3- All conference play must end the same week.
Why: The "what have you done for me lately" mentality is kind of taking over. If the Big 10 and Pac 10 do not want to have a conference game (and I know they need to expand to be eligible, so they should expand already!). I'll back off earlier requirements to have a championship game, so long as all conference play ends the same week, championship game or not... and conferences only claim one champion.

These three changes would eliminate the following problems:

1- Georgia claiming they belong in the title game.
Why: They didn't win their conference. Simple as that. No questions ask, you're either conference champion and you're eligible, or you're not conference champion and just hope for a good bowl game.

2- tOSU receiving preferential or detrimental treatment for their final season loss
Why: Their final game to become conference champions would be the same week as other conferences. The season's end is at the same time, so this will also even out bowl preparation schedules as well.

3- Any other teams claiming they belong
Why: There will always be "what if" scenarios, but with evening the playing field, sorry for the cliche, there will be less claim to the title game.

I personally think the correct two teams went (even if I would have loved for OU to get title No. 8). OU lost twice, so any normal year we would be hoping for the BCS Fiesta Bowl and nothing more. If OU lost once instead of twice, we'd get the nod. We were LSU's equal last year, so I'm not going to debate who had more quality losses or quality wins. One of us deserved to go, and we just got unlucky, which we wouldn't have, had we won just one more game.

JLEW1818
7/23/2008, 12:57 PM
What are the chance that 3 teams finish undefeated?

Exactly. What are the chances that usc, tosu, ou, Georgia, Florida all go undefeated. Let’s think about it. USC and ohio state play each other. That is one team done right there. Georgia and Florida play each other, that’s one team gone right there. And if either Georgia or Florida only have 1 loss congratulations great job. As far as the winner of usc and ohio state, I personally want usc to win because I think they have a better chance to lose later down the road.
Therefore, in the end the team that has the best chance to go undefeated and be ranked the highest. is Ohio State IF THEY BEAT USC. Which I do not think they will, but I could see them winning out.
As for the sooners I only see us beating ourselves.

HateTheWhorns
7/23/2008, 03:41 PM

With Georgia I agree. With USC.....not so much. USC plays 12 regular season Div 1 games and two teams teams ranked in the pre-season top 20; compared to:

OU plays 11 regular season games, 1 conference championship game, and four teams ranked in the pre-season top 20 (assuming they face Missouri in the conference championshiop game).

Assuming the pre-season rankings are even close to reality, I don't see how OU gets squeezed out of the national championship game. There are too many pollsters that view the Big 12 as an elite conference this year for that to happen.

Hope you're wrong and I'm right

Mac94
7/25/2008, 11:09 AM
Back to the original post, OU will be fine. All the other preseason contenders outside of the Pac-10 (and Wake Forest) play one (or more) FCS division teams. It equals itself out. Looking at the "contenders" by conference and the FCS team(s) they play:

ACC
Clemson - Citadel, S. Carolina St.
Wake Forest - none
Florida St. - Western Carolina, Chattanooga
Virginia Tech - Furman, Western Kentucky
Miami - Charleston Southern

Big East
West Virginia - Villanova
South Florida - Tennessee-Martin

Big-10
Ohio St. - Youngstown St.
Illinois - Eastern Illinois
Wisconsin - Cal Poly

SEC -
Georgia - Georgia Southern
Florida - Citadel
LSU - Appalachian St.
Auburn - Tennessee-Martin

Bourbon St Sooner
7/25/2008, 12:02 PM
I thought the games against 1-AA teams didn't count in the computer rankings. Last year we were being hammered in the computers for playing two bad 1-A teams. I kept thinking that we would have been better off playing two 1-AA teams than 1-A teams with bad records.

IronHorseSooner
7/25/2008, 02:27 PM
Ohio St. Arizona St., Oregon, & Cal are ALL at the Coliseum.

So was Stanford last year!

John Kochtoston
7/25/2008, 02:45 PM
Because unreasonably high liquidation clauses in contracts are very difficult to enforce. You can't just pick a number and say "that's what you pay if you cancel." You can't insert a high liquidation clause just to make it scarier for the other party to bail.

Courts will allow them if its difficult to estimate the real cost to the non-breaching party at the time the contract is made and the amount can be shown to be an honest effort at tieing it to the actual loss the non-breaching party will experience if the other party bails. That would be virtually impossible to do in this context, given these contracts are usually executed years in advance of the actual game.

I would think that it would be possible to put some hard numbers together to show what having to play a D-1AA team or a weak D-1 team as a replacement vs. a decent D-1 team that bails, especially if it costs a team trip to the BCS. Even Auburn could probably show that, even though they got the same cut as every other BCS team in 2004, thy lost revenue compared to Oklahoma in T-shirt sales, ability to increase ticket prices, maybe even in donations. Maybe not $10 million dollars worth, but I'd think it be worth it for a CPA or att'y to figure out a semi-hard (heh) number to use in a liquidated damages clause.

soonerfan28
7/25/2008, 03:44 PM
Will LSU actually help there strength of schedule by having App. St?

Mac94
7/25/2008, 03:54 PM
LSU's wonderful OOC is:

Appalachian St.
Troy
N. Texas
Tulane

SEC wise thye have:

@Auburn
Mississippi St.
@Florida
@S. Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
@Arkansas

LSU, to me, seems to have a 3 game schedule (Auburn, Florida, Georgia) with the rest being fairly easy to creampuff easy.

Frozen Sooner
7/25/2008, 04:03 PM
I would think that it would be possible to put some hard numbers together to show what having to play a D-1AA team or a weak D-1 team as a replacement vs. a decent D-1 team that bails, especially if it costs a team trip to the BCS. Even Auburn could probably show that, even though they got the same cut as every other BCS team in 2004, thy lost revenue compared to Oklahoma in T-shirt sales, ability to increase ticket prices, maybe even in donations. Maybe not $10 million dollars worth, but I'd think it be worth it for a CPA or att'y to figure out a semi-hard (heh) number to use in a liquidated damages clause.

Heh.

A district court in Kentucky recently ruled that Duke was not liable for liquidated damages on a game contract with Louisville because they had arranged for a D-1AA opponent as a replacement.

The crux of the argument was that a D-1AA team was just as good as Duke. Said argument was advanced by Duke's attorneys. The ruling is kind of a hoot to read. Basically, it's several pages of the judge saying "Duke sucks."

jrfootballou
7/25/2008, 04:26 PM
Jlew1818 will help the sooners win!

John Kochtoston
7/25/2008, 04:50 PM
Heh.

A district court in Kentucky recently ruled that Duke was not liable for liquidated damages on a game contract with Louisville because they had arranged for a D-1AA opponent as a replacement.

The crux of the argument was that a D-1AA team was just as good as Duke. Said argument was advanced by Duke's attorneys. The ruling is kind of a hoot to read. Basically, it's several pages of the judge saying "Duke sucks."

I was kind of basing my original post on that ruling, at least loosely. :D