PDA

View Full Version : Looking at all the uproar "Thunder" is causing...

OUDoc
7/22/2008, 08:16 AM
The Oklahoman said this morning that "Thunder" has something like 49% approval, according to their poll.
Assuming "Thunder" isn't what the nickname is going to be, do you think they can do better than making 49% of the people happy?

OUDoc
7/22/2008, 08:18 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3272736

Hot Rod
7/22/2008, 08:26 AM
Do I 100% agree with the name? No, but I'm going to do my part to support the team (whatever the name is).

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 08:36 AM
They could do better.

I still don't like The Grizzlies.

That how long folks hold on to their feeling something is bad.

Thunder....it may not be bad...but it is overused.

This isn't just a farm team type situation...

It's THE FREAKING NBA!

You'd think they could even help with finding a respectable name for their newest Team. I say newest Team as this isn't an expansion team...it's renaming a Team that didn't workout in the last marketplace. I thought Sonics was a great name. Since they can't keep that name...they need to come up with something better than Sonics.

Thunder < Sonics.

It just is.

Sad.

sooner_born_1960
7/22/2008, 08:46 AM
They could call them the Flying Assclowns, and people would support them if they win. Start losing, and not so much.

mdklatt
7/22/2008, 08:48 AM
The Oklahoman said this morning that "Thunder" has something like 49% approval, according to their poll.

Hey, that's more than enough to win a presidential election nowadays.

Assuming "Thunder" isn't what the nickname is going to be, do you think they can do better than making 49% of the people happy?

Nope. I like the nickname, but then again I'm a weather nerd.

OUDoc
7/22/2008, 09:00 AM
I actually like it too. The more I think about it, the more I wish we'd just kept the Sonics name and colors. Why buy a team and then change the name and colors? (<--rhetorical question) It looks like a new team.

batonrougesooner
7/22/2008, 09:09 AM
I like Thunder. It's a decent name and will grow on us once it is in use.

This is a league with teams named Jazz, Spurs, Rockets, Sonics (r.i.p.), Suns, etc.

If you were hearing anyone of those names for the first time attached to your city, you would probably think those names were ghey as hell. I would anyway. The only reason we don't think twice about those names is the history behind them.

badger
7/22/2008, 09:11 AM
I don't mind Thunder, but I think they could have expanded it to Thunderbirds.

I also think they didn't need to expand the "Oklahoma" part to "Oklahoma City," but yeah, whatever.

Someday, when Tulsa overtakes you (yes, I'm thinking in the long term here) and Tulsa has to support the NBA team when OKC can't, I think "Tulsa Thunder" would sound better than "Tulsa Thunderbirds," so I like Thunder just fine. See, we need to consider this scenario, because we always are hopeful up here :D:D:D:D

OUDoc
7/22/2008, 09:13 AM
Someday, when Tulsa overtakes you (yes, I'm thinking in the long term here) and Tulsa has to support the NBA team when OKC can't,
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

Viking Kitten
7/22/2008, 09:16 AM
Thunder caused lots of uproars. That's why he got banned. JUST KIDDING HA HA!

Beef
7/22/2008, 09:35 AM
Someone just needs to post a picture of a spider, then this will be pg's favorite thread of all time.

Beef
7/22/2008, 09:36 AM
And crap., I'm going to get negged for that. :D

AZSOONER
7/22/2008, 09:39 AM
Thunder isn't bad, but it just doesn't feel like IT. It's the best I've heard so far, there have been some terrible names tossed around.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/22/2008, 09:41 AM
******rockets.

OUDoc
7/22/2008, 09:49 AM
Someone just needs to post a picture of a spider, then this will be pg's favorite thread of all time.
OKC Spidermen. Good call, beef!

soonermix
7/22/2008, 09:53 AM
i guess the name is starting to grow on me. the more i hear it the more i like it. once they start to play we will start to own the name as OUr team and everybody will like it more and more. after a while we will all be "Thunderstruck"

royalfan5
7/22/2008, 10:03 AM
While I don't have a dog in this fight, it seems to me that this is just a reflection of teams adopting really generic nic-names instead of something that really reflects their home community. And it happens at all levels of sports. So we get Thunder and Lightning instead stuff like Sooners and Cornhuskers. And I think that is too bad.

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 10:15 AM
Oklahoma Land Thieves

Tulsa_Fireman
7/22/2008, 10:21 AM
Oklahoma City Cement-Ditch-Havers.

soonermix
7/22/2008, 10:22 AM
:gary:

SteelClip49
7/22/2008, 10:40 AM
when I think of Thunder, I think of WCW Thunder and the Wichita Thunder....hell, if they are called the Thunder then that will be more pathetic and ghey than the BOBCATS.

New Jersey is the NETS....perhaps OKC could be known as the Cylinders.

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 10:43 AM
OKC Defibralators

Viking Kitten
7/22/2008, 10:46 AM
The Oklahoma Biblethumpers?

Viking Kitten
7/22/2008, 10:48 AM
The Oklahoma Meth Addicted Pregnant Teens?

Pricetag
7/22/2008, 10:48 AM
:gary:
The Getners!

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 10:50 AM
OKC Turnpikers

NormanPride
7/22/2008, 10:53 AM
OKC CNG

Tulsa_Fireman
7/22/2008, 10:58 AM
OKCDEFG's.

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 11:08 AM
OKC PSOers

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 11:29 AM
Oklahoma City Schlongs.

Viking Kitten
7/22/2008, 11:55 AM
Oklahoma City Schlongs.

"We're bringing stiff competition to the Western Conference!"

badger
7/22/2008, 11:55 AM
To quote bitter Seattle media:

"Oklahoma City becomes the 14th professional basketball team to adopt a mascot with a singular nickname --10 of those teams reside in the WNBA (congratulations)."

The others that I am aware of...
Atlanta Dream
Chicago Sky
Connecticut Sun
Detroit Shock
Indiana Fever
New York Liberty
Minnesota Lynx
Phoenix Mercury
Seattle Storm

Yes, you only counted nine teams. That means that Seattle's idiot likely counted one of the many folded WNBA teams:
Charlotte Sting
Miami Sol
Orlando Miracle
Portland Fire

Or perhaps, Seattle dude only looked at the first word in San Antonio's name and thought they were the San Antonio Silver (rather than the Silver Stars).

Let us find the others...

Miami Heat (NBA)
Orlando Magic (NBA)
Utah Jazz (NBA)
Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)
Minnesota Wild (NHL)
Houston Dynamo (MLS)
Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)
D.C. United (MLS)
Chicago Fire (MLS)
Columbus Crew (MLS)
New England Revolution (MLS)
Toronto FC (MLS)
FC Dallas (MLS)
Real Salt Lake (MLS)

My guess is this Seattle media dude didn't count the MLS (shame on you! You're about to get a team!) and accidentally counted one NBA or NHL team as a WNBA team and thus, 14 teams... but if he did count MLS (and again, Seattle is getting a team, we remind you!), he could also include this ex-MLS now-folded teams:
Miami Fusion F.C.
Tampa Bay Mutiny

So, as you can see, it is clearly quite common to have a singular nickname, and it's just a nickname. If you hate it, just remember that we could have something uber lame like the Oklahoma City O's... OKC Cheerio's? O-K-C-heerio's?

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 12:00 PM
I've got it...

The OKC Gaylords

sooner_born_1960
7/22/2008, 12:07 PM
"Oklahoma City becomes the 14th professional basketball team to adopt a mascot with a singular nickname --10 of those teams reside in the WNBA (congratulations)."
Uh, thunder is the plural of thunder.

badger
7/22/2008, 12:24 PM
[/I][/B]Uh, thunder is the plural of thunder.

You're funny.

"Singular" in this context means that there's no "S" at the end... or in the case of defunct Utah WNBA team, no ZZZZZZZZ at the end (Starzzzzzzzz)

Ok, so I added a few Z's.

But, I like your logic. Thunder really isn't singular or plural, it's both. Thank goodness we are not going to be seeing the name Thunders. That would cue really lame jokes like "Thunders are Blunders" and crap like that.

So, without further ado, the revised Singular/Plural basketball-only nickname list, which we remind you, will NOT include Thunder/s:

Atlanta Dream (WNBA)
Chicago Sky (WNBA)
Connecticut Sun (WNBA)
Detroit Shock (WNBA)
Indiana Fever (WNBA)
New York Liberty (WNBA)
Minnesota Lynx (WNBA)
Phoenix Mercury (WNBA)
Seattle Storm (WNBA)

Wow, that was easy... unless you like your Heats, Jazzes and Magics... Magicks? I included the above teams, because they have plural forum - Dreams, Skies, Suns (if we're being astronomers here, there are more suns out there than just the closest one), shocks ("I stuck my tongue on the power line twice and got two shocks"), Fevers ("My little brat is likely faking to skip school since he's had 20 fevers this semester"), Liberties, Mercuries (I had to look this one up - so here's my sentence: "I love my mercuries, from the Greek god I read about, to the car I drive, to that metallic substance I swallowed labeled "Quicksilver..." oh no, I've been poisoned.") and of course, Storms, as in, "Oklahoma has a lot of storms, but will not have the Seattle Storm, because we don't like better fundamentals that make up for the inability to dunk."

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 01:19 PM
It shoulda been the "Oklahoma Flying Dickwheels "
Yall are slippin ;)

stoopified
7/22/2008, 04:16 PM
It shoulda been the "Oklahoma Flying Dickwheels "
Yall are slippin ;)I shudder at the thought of what that logo would look like.

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 04:17 PM
I shudder at the thought of what that logo would look like.

Ok all you Arteest come up with something .

Sooner_Havok
7/22/2008, 04:23 PM
At least it is grammatically correct, unlike the Toronto Maple Leafs

Tulsa_Fireman
7/22/2008, 04:57 PM
To quote bitter Seattle media...

Speaking of MLS, you forgot the Burn and the Wiz.

HEYOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!

http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/literature/McMahon-E.jpg

Harry Beanbag
7/22/2008, 05:33 PM
At least it is grammatically correct, unlike the Toronto Maple Leafs

They were Canadian, cut them some slack.

apusooner
7/22/2008, 05:44 PM
Change Thunder to Thunda. Sounds cooler in my head.

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 05:47 PM

nOOb, Change it to " Oklahoma Flying Dickwheels "
End Of subject :D

apusooner
7/22/2008, 06:05 PM
i suppose the flying dickwheels could bring the thunda

olevetonahill
7/22/2008, 06:07 PM

Winnah :D

Harry Beanbag
7/22/2008, 06:19 PM

They could sell grilled fromunda cheese sandwiches in the concession stands.

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 06:23 PM
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 06:23 PM
BETCHA NEVER HEARD THAT ONE!!!

birddog
7/22/2008, 06:25 PM
okc shart attacks. uni's could be brown with corn yellow polka dots.

sooneron
7/22/2008, 08:54 PM

"too boston"

Czar Soonerov
7/22/2008, 09:15 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynKoZD-sFi4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynKoZD-sFi4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Czar Soonerov
7/22/2008, 09:16 PM
Hell's comin' with me!

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 09:18 PM
Wow...that looks like a really good movie. :D

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2008, 09:21 PM
We should keep Thunder. Then re-name the Ford Center Thunderdome!

apusooner
7/22/2008, 09:22 PM
They could sell grilled fromunda cheese sandwiches in the concession stands.
the thunda fromunda sandwich, selling for $5.99
topped with trouser chili for $1 more

Jerk
7/22/2008, 09:39 PM
The Oklahoma City Left-Lane Nazis

Season ticket discounts to senior citizens.

OUstud
7/22/2008, 09:45 PM
Cougars. A fierce animal paired with a somewhat obscure sexual reference=win.

SteelClip49
7/23/2008, 12:59 AM
OKC Wishbone

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2008, 01:17 AM
The Oklahoma City "Really Unrealistic Expectations and no Coach will ever be good enough because they're not Billy Tubbs"s.

SoonerKnight
7/23/2008, 01:25 AM
To truly name a Oklahoma team that reflects the state would be to incorporate and indian tribal theme. Thunderbird or Thunderbirds works because it does have some native american history behind it. But the only the I could think of would be too long. Like Tribal Nation or OKC Nation Or Oklahoma Nation etc but that doesn't seem to fit.

Thunder does fit. While thunder happens everywhere I have never been anywhere else where the thunder is so loud it will shake windows etc. Oklahoma gets some nasty thunderstorms. Oh and I love watching the lightning during a storm! I miss Oklahoma!!!!!

CrimsonandCreamForever
7/23/2008, 01:27 AM
OKC Wishbone

Oklahoma City Wishboners

Brilliant! :D

olevetonahill
7/23/2008, 01:46 AM
NO damnit
I Insist On the " Oklahoma Flying Dickwheels "
Or I aint gonna go to a Game :mad:

CrimsonandCreamForever
7/23/2008, 02:29 AM
NO damnit
I Insist On the " Oklahoma Flying Dickwheels "
Or I aint gonna go to a Game :mad:

But it would be kinda hard to play some basketball with an assault weapon slung over your shoulder and a jar of OVJ tied to your belt ;)

olevetonahill
7/23/2008, 02:40 AM
But it would be kinda hard to play some basketball with an assault weapon slung over your shoulder and a jar of OVJ tied to your belt ;)

A Man gotta do what a Man gotta do !:D