PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Euphoria

okcusooner
7/21/2008, 06:27 PM
It's strange to me that many are already heralding the greatness of the 2008 offensive line. This is the same line that returns from last year. And last year this line was good at times, not so good at others. In fact, its final performance was horrid. If you can stomach it, go back and look at all the false starts, holds, and illegal formations in the W.V. game.

Just because some national pundits are saying OU's offensive line is great doesn't make it so. Often these pundits are doing nothing more than basing their opinion on a cursory glance of the roster. While Loadholt's and Robinson's size may be impressive that doesn't translate into impressive play.

Will Robinson go a full game w/o a false start? Loadholt? (remember his three in Missouri game) Trent Williams? (not to mention his recent tendency for personal fouls)

While the pass blocking was solid last year, will the push up front on the ground game improve?

Can we keep the holding penalties down?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then this may indeed prove to be a very good offensive line.

BUT WE NEED TO SEE IT FIRST!

yermom
7/21/2008, 06:37 PM
some of those things should improve with experience

VA Sooner
7/21/2008, 08:30 PM
I thought Robinson was pretty solid all year. Loadholt is the offender with the false starts but then reading his stats about how well he covers on the edge... pretty impressive with his knockdowns and blocks.

Then again, it's hard to get around a tree... especially when it's falling down around you.

soonerfan28
7/21/2008, 09:31 PM
I think people are going off of potential and they weren't bad last year. Maybe they're looking at what Bradford did with these 6 guys blocking. Yes I know we only have 5 lineman but I was counting Williams/Braxton. Loadholt needed to get quicker on the edge and if you believe what soonersports says then Loadhot is down to like 337, so maybe he's trying to get quicker and stop trying to make up for it with false starts. I like the passion that Duke plays with but he can go to far and get those unsportsmanlike.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:40 PM
I think most people go with the idea that players learn from their mistakes.

I refuse to sit in my seats waiting to watch for a mistake so I can post it on a message board.

I like talking about the positives.

I've even been on a player's side when many folks start dogpiling him on these boards as I don't think they need to hear about what we think when they probably have a few Coaches lighting a fire under their a$$.

Plus...I've seen firsthand how a Family sends their kid to "The Dream" and after he meltsdown or slides backwards into the depth chart...the Family really has to put earmuffs on in order to protect their love of "The Dream".

You can continue to sit back and wait for something good to happen...or you can root The Sooners on as they make something good happen every week.

I'm not complaining either...just sayin'

JLEW1818
7/21/2008, 09:41 PM
A lot of people dont realize Sam's numbers in the bowl game.

Completion percentage 63.6 %
2 Td's, 1 pick
242 yards. With the horrible O-Line that game Sam still did really good. I'm just interested to see how he does this year, with a solid year of that o-line working together. Like it is said, a solid O-line, and a solid offensive backfield is going to be dangerous.

soonerspudman
7/21/2008, 10:12 PM
OU lead the nation in touchdowns scored last year, Sam Bradford was rarely sacked and led the nation in passing efficiency while setting a freshman record for touchdown passes.

These things don't happen without an excellent line. The pre-season talk is justified, but actually delivering is the key. No bones about it, this could be one of the all time great O lines, we'll see.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/22/2008, 12:38 PM
It's strange to me that many are already heralding the greatness of the 2008 offensive line. This is the same line that returns from last year. And last year this line was good at times, not so good at others. In fact, its final performance was horrid. If you can stomach it, go back and look at all the false starts, holds, and illegal formations in the W.V. game.

Just because some national pundits are saying OU's offensive line is great doesn't make it so. Often these pundits are doing nothing more than basing their opinion on a cursory glance of the roster. While Loadholt's and Robinson's size may be impressive that doesn't translate into impressive play.

Will Robinson go a full game w/o a false start? Loadholt? (remember his three in Missouri game) Trent Williams? (not to mention his recent tendency for personal fouls)

While the pass blocking was solid last year, will the push up front on the ground game improve?

Can we keep the holding penalties down?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then this may indeed prove to be a very good offensive line.

BUT WE NEED TO SEE IT FIRST!

Are you serious? We had an awesome ground game and passing attack last year. Sure we had a few brainfarts and ALL of these kids are back.

YOU HAVE SEEN IT! THEY ARE INCREDIBLE! NOW THEY ARE ALL SENIORS!

This preliminary opinion is all based on the assumption that they will be better than last year. That's what experience and coaching does. If you are going to base their entire season's performance on a couple of games against some of the best opponents in the country then you have a really skewed way of judging a season.

illinisooner
7/22/2008, 01:19 PM
I think what he's trying to say is that if the o line is supposed to be #1 in the country, they didn't put together a complete game of dominance last year. If they're the #1 line in the country, they should be able to do that. But we do have one of the biggest and most experienced lines in the country, I feel bad for the Mocs d line here in a few weeks.

101sooner
7/22/2008, 01:47 PM
Just accept the greatness. Offensive line was the least of OU's problems last year.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/22/2008, 02:15 PM
I think what he's trying to say is that if the o line is supposed to be #1 in the country, they didn't put together a complete game of dominance last year. If they're the #1 line in the country, they should be able to do that. But we do have one of the biggest and most experienced lines in the country, I feel bad for the Mocs d line here in a few weeks.

They were still great last year. The speculation just comes from them being all heavily experienced seniors. Other schools have underclassmen and inexperience on the line. We don't. They will be dominant this year.

Tru.

Dat.