PDA

View Full Version : How are the tires your driving on?

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 01:43 PM
I received this email from my Uncle.

He does quite a bit of driving so I'm sure he went and checked his right after seeing this on ABC.

I used to sell tires and even was trained to handle tire adjustments.

Adjustments aren't what tire manufacturers would like their customers to know about either.

If your one of those folks that think you can do Highway speeds on the donut in your trunk...this doesn't apply to you because your a moron and will soon be dead or in prison for negligent homocide.

However if you are one of those folks who keep a tire guage in your vehicle and check the air every so often...there is lots more to check while your down there.

Watch this video link...it's a good start IMO to educating yourself about your tires.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897 (http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897)

OU4LIFE
7/21/2008, 02:25 PM
nice info.

mine are 0505. So i'm good for now, I think I'll speed home.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 02:29 PM
I think this kind of stuff falls into the "I really don't want to think about how old all of those other drivers tires are" catagory.

I'd bet the amount of unsafe tires on the road is staggering.

NormanPride
7/21/2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks, ST. I've been looking into getting new tires for the Altima. It's about time.

frankensooner
7/21/2008, 03:04 PM
I always get mine replaced when they begin to seperate.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/21/2008, 03:37 PM
I went from retreads to "top of the line" when my kids were born.

Boomer.....
7/21/2008, 03:44 PM

Yeah, baby.

Good info ST, thanks.

JohnnyMack
7/21/2008, 03:58 PM
Brand new. :mad: My wallet and I can attest to that fact.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 04:01 PM
Brand new. :mad: My wallet and I can attest to that fact.

If you had watched the video you would know to go look to see what you bought.

Brand new means new to you.

They might have sold you some treads that are 7 years old and been sitting in a rack or a warehouse.

OUHOMER
7/21/2008, 05:10 PM
I need to go look at my truck tires. I am sure they are good I bought them from our resident tire guy Boarder. did he ever open a new shop?

7/21/2008, 06:08 PM
SLASH 'EM ALL!

KILL 'EM ALL!

SLASH

KILL

SLASS

KILL

ADD SALT!!!

KILL 'EM AGAIN!

JohnnyMack
7/21/2008, 08:32 PM

They might have sold you some treads that are 7 years old and been sitting in a rack or a warehouse.

It's a lease. I'm giving it back in February. I don't care if they explode the day after I turn that car in, I just wanna make it to February.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 08:43 PM
It's a lease. I'm giving it back in February. I don't care if they explode the day after I turn that car in, I just wanna make it to February.

I completely understand.

Our last lease I had my old tire depth guage out checking things the last 2 nonths of the lease.

JohnnyMack
7/21/2008, 08:46 PM
I completely understand.

Our last lease I had my old tire depth guage out checking things the last 2 nonths of the lease.

:D

If I wasn't toting Thing 1 and Thing 2 around in it woulda pushed it a little farther. But even this commie liberal pinko hippie has to take care of his kids every once and again.

colleyvillesooner
7/21/2008, 09:00 PM
4507. sweet.

now to check the wifes car.

bluedogok
7/21/2008, 09:45 PM

It means even more for motorcycle tires, I am getting to the point of new tires on my Sprint.

I know is the OEM Continentals on the wife's Escape suck. We will be putting Michelin's (most of the SUV/truck tires are made in Ardmore) on it within the year.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:53 PM
I never go over 25 mph on the bike. :D

GottaHavePride
7/21/2008, 10:38 PM
3907. Yokohamas.

OU4LIFE
7/22/2008, 04:48 AM
3907. Yokohamas.

communist

TexasLidig8r
7/22/2008, 08:38 AM
ahhhh sooo....

Honorable Falken Touring ... 3407

Arigato Hirohito.

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 09:29 AM
the sneaky bastages put the "made on" code on the inboard side of my tires. And I'm not climbing underneath to check. Therefore, if I die in a fiery crash because my tars assplode, it's on me I guess.;)

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 09:32 AM
:D

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/558489_lg.jpg

colleyvillesooner
7/22/2008, 10:12 AM
Wife's were bought from a GoodYear in Tulsa in June and were made 1908

bonkuba
7/22/2008, 10:35 AM
Many of you know I own a tire dealership. I know personally that this happens all the time in our industry. We check all of our DOT dates as the tires are unloaded.....just to make sure.

I have both a Commercial (Big Truck) and a Consumer (Car/Light Truck) store......and here is what "Grinds my gears".......

There are folks (that I won't name) buying up out of date (old DOT) truck tires and selling them on what we call the "grey" market. This means really off the books.....and to the point not paying the approx $25.23 of FET tax on the tires. As you can imagine this puts the legitimate tire dealers at a disadvantage due to us barely having $20 profit built into the tires. The truck tire industry is really competitive......so yes $20 bucks is really good profit when you are selling to large organizations. Here is the good part. These tires are old and do have issues. The customer that bought the old tire will come to me (since I am a dealer) and say "These **** tires blew out on me". We explain that the tires are old and cannot be warrantied....arguments happen....customer gets mad.......goes away mad.

Sorry for the vent.....but it really does hit home.:mad:

Sean

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 10:41 AM
Many of you know I own a tire dealership. I know personally that this happens all the time in our industry. We check all of our DOT dates as the tires are unloaded.....just to make sure.

I have both a Commercial (Big Truck) and a Consumer (Car/Light Truck) store......and here is what "Grinds my gears".......

There are folks (that I won't name) buying up out of date (old DOT) truck tires and selling them on what we call the "grey" market. This means really off the books.....and to the point not paying the approx $25.23 of FET tax on the tires. As you can imagine this puts the legitimate tire dealers at a disadvantage due to us barely having $20 profit built into the tires. The truck tire industry is really competitive......so yes $20 bucks is really good profit when you are selling to a large organizations. Here is the good part. These tires are old and do have issues. The customer that bought the old tire will come to me (since I am a dealer) and say "These **** tires blew out on me". We explain that the tires are old and cannot be warrantied....arguments happen....customer gets mad.......goes away mad.

Sean

Your absolutely right Sean.

I did Tire Adjustments when I worked for OTASCO back in the Day.

I've had to handle some pretty uncomfortable situations.

Even though tire adjustments would get ugly...

Nothing compared to flunking some crackheads car for a State Inspection Sticker. :mad:

I hope this fraud in the tire business becomes something of the past but folks who can barely afford gas and or a car are gonna buy these as long as they are available.

Our roads and highways are not a safe place.

JohnnyMack
7/22/2008, 11:02 AM
Wife's were bought from a GoodYear in Tulsa in June and were made 1908

I think I'd get a refund.

Okla-homey
7/22/2008, 11:33 AM

There are folks (that I won't name) buying up out of date (old DOT) truck tires and selling them on what we call the "grey" market. This means really off the books.....and to the point not paying the approx $25.23 of FET tax on the tires. As you can imagine this puts the legitimate tire dealers at a disadvantage due to us barely having $20 profit built into the tires. The truck tire industry is really competitive......so yes $20 bucks is really good profit when you are selling to large organizations. Here is the good part. These tires are old and do have issues. The customer that bought the old tire will come to me (since I am a dealer) and say "These **** tires blew out on me". We explain that the tires are old and cannot be warrantied....arguments happen....customer gets mad.......goes away mad.

Sean

Good for you. BTW, if you sell Michelins, I bet yours are "bakery fresh"...being in Ard Vegas and all.

Now, what about "retreads?" Are they safe for truck use as long as the tire carcass itself is not over six years old, or is that whole re-tread dealio just too shady for safety? I always assume when I see truck tire tread lying out on the interstate like a big flat black banana that Cletus bought him a retread (or 18) and the tread glue gave out and let 'er go. Wassup with that?

colleyvillesooner
7/22/2008, 11:34 AM
I think I'd get a refund.

heh

sooner_born_1960
7/22/2008, 11:44 AM
What is the incidence of tread separation for tires over six years old? Over three? I'd be interested in seeing a study that compared tread separation on tires of various ages. The linked story provides anecdotal evidence at best.

bonkuba
7/22/2008, 11:46 AM
Good for you. BTW, if you sell Michelins, I bet yours are "bakery fresh"...being in Ard Vegas and all.

Now, what about "retreads?" Are they safe for truck use as long as the tire carcass itself is not over six years old, or is that whole re-tread dealio just too shady for safety? I always assume when I see truck tire tread lying out on the interstate like a big flat black banana that Cletus bought him a retread (or 18) and the tread glue gave out and let 'er go. Wassup with that?

Very good questio actually. I am a Michelin MRT (retread) dealer as well (Big Trucks). We wont take any casings over 4 years old unless they are for yard use (and they have a low-speed re-tread).

Most of what you see on the road is from old caps that are wore down to nothing and explode....which happens to new tires (virgins) just as easy. You still have the smaller capping companies that will cap anything that will hold air.....and that is the majority of what you see on the road.

Also, now with the $$ crunch on you will see folks running "stuff" that they wouldn't normally run.....trying to save $$.

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 12:06 PM
I cringe everytime I ride past one of those casings on my bike.

I've hit one with my truck and can't imagine what happens when you hit one on a bike. :eek:

Vaevictis
7/22/2008, 12:10 PM
Are they safe for truck use as long as the tire carcass itself is not over six years old, or is that whole re-tread dealio just too shady for safety?

Michelin -- which I presume you will take as a acceptably reputable company -- buys back enough carcasses for retreading that they actually have a purchase code for it in their purchase systems.

I would assume it's like any other 'recycling' business. You have the reputable folks who do it right, and you have the shady folks that don't.

The way it was explained to me recently was that the more expensive the tire, the more likely they are to retread. The most expensive tires they'll retread something like 6-7 times and consider it perfectly safe. (and by most expensive, I'm talking the $40k ones)

Animal Mother
7/22/2008, 03:19 PM
ahhhh sooo....

Honorable Falken Touring ... 3407

Arigato Hirohito.

Hai. Toronaga-nagasama.

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 03:20 PM
How come Bonkuba's Website keeps popping up in a new browser? ;)

bonkuba
7/22/2008, 03:23 PM
Michelin -- which I presume you will take as a acceptably reputable company -- buys back enough carcasses for retreading that they actually have a purchase code for it in their purchase systems.

I would assume it's like any other 'recycling' business. You have the reputable folks who do it right, and you have the shady folks that don't.

The way it was explained to me recently was that the more expensive the tire, the more likely they are to retread. The most expensive tires they'll retread something like 6-7 times and consider it perfectly safe. (and by most expensive, I'm talking the $40k ones)

You are correct on the casings.....the top casings right now in the truck industry are Bridgestone, Michelin and Firestone. Goodyear is in fourth but in the distance. Right now, I wont buy any casings that are not from the big 3....well actually Big 2 since Firestone is made by Bridgestone.

You would be surprised how many Cletus brothers that come by more store wanting to sell used tires......anything from Double Coin (Yep it is a truck tire from China)....to Wanli (another of China's best). If you see any of these on the road stay away..........very far away :D

I believe someone mentioned buying back casings, etc. Actually it is the dealer who has to pay the fee to dispose of the tire (hence the disposal fee you are charged when you buy a new tire).

Intersting story in and of itself on the disposal fees. We pay the fees (that come from the customer) over to the OK government every month. They, in turn are supposed to dispatch trucks to come and pick these tires up.......all before the city comes at me for mosquitos or something. For the last 6 months the usual companies that pick up tires are refusing to pick up tires due to our inept OK government not paying their bills. So in essence I have Mt St. Helens over here at the truck store....making the City mad (which is OK since they are about as useless as said OK Government).

Just been a bad day for me huh? haha!!:D :D

Sean

Animal Mother
7/22/2008, 03:40 PM
Holy sh!t !!!

I just watched the video. I have an Accord that isn't a year old and I'm checking mine tonight!!!

I was a buyer in manufacturing for years. Do these tires sit due to not using modern inventory control methods are what??? If I had 12 year old stock in my CNC cribs, it better have been used to even up a table leg or something when it was six years old..

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 03:44 PM
Holy sh!t !!!

I just watched the video. I have an Accord that isn't a year old and I'm checking mine tonight!!!

I was a buyer in manufacturing for years. Do these tires sit due to not using modern inventory control methods are what??? If I had 12 year old stock in my CNC cribs, it better have been used to even up a table leg or something when it was six years old..

It's really up to the folks who inventory these tires to keep them off the street...but there isn't any law I know of that says they have to do it.

Sounds like Bonkuba knows more about what's happening these days.

bonkuba
7/22/2008, 03:45 PM
Holy sh!t !!!

Yep.....they sit. Perfect example. I ordered a tractor tire for a customer the other day.....he wanted a brand named East One (Chinese). He wanted it due to the price. When it arrived at my store yesterday the DOT dated it at 9 years old. I sent it back (refused shipment). I do this (refuse shipment) at least 2-3 times when receiving tires from my vendors that ship Chinese, etc. Keep in mind it can be any brand (if it sits).....it just seems to be more foreign stuff right now due to the boat ride I guess.....but a 8 year boat ride...geeeeeeeesh :D

frankensooner
7/22/2008, 03:51 PM
Ah, the slow boat from China!

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 03:54 PM
Folks are going to start looking at what they buy a little closer after this.

I hope.

OUWxGuesser
7/22/2008, 04:03 PM
Can you say tire time? With the rural/highway driving I do, I didn't feel like trusting a patch on a hole I could put two fingers through... I've had great luck going through tirerack.com then getting them installed locally.

http://people.aero.und.edu/~kennedya/tire.jpg