PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams

okcusooner
7/20/2008, 02:53 PM
Though not as sexy a topic as offense and defense, the Sooners have challenges to meet on Special Teams.

Jimmy Stevens or Tress Way (probably the latter) need to get up to speed quickly. The ability to stretch a late 7 point lead to 10 (especially on the road) is crucial. i.e. K-State 2000.

We no longer have the best gunner in college football. Allen Patrick shortened many kick-off and punt returns.

Hopefully, our punt returns will automatically improve by the loss of Reggie Smith.

soonerfan28
7/20/2008, 05:36 PM
I'm really anxious to see if Sims can be the man on KR and PR. He has the speed and had a pretty good highlight tape even though it was against lesser talent. I was never that impressed with Smith's ability as a returner. He never seemed like he knew which direction he wanted to go.

ultimatesooner1
7/20/2008, 06:24 PM
Though not as sexy a topic as offense and defense, the Sooners have challenges to meet on Special Teams.

Jimmy Stevens or Tress Way (probably the latter) need to get up to speed quickly. The ability to stretch a late 7 point lead to 10 (especially on the road) is crucial. i.e. K-State 2000.

We no longer have the best gunner in college football. Allen Patrick shortened many kick-off and punt returns.

Hopefully, our punt returns will automatically improve by the loss of Reggie Smith.

Tres Way by a mile - he will be the best kicker we have had under Stoops if he plays all 4 years

Someone will fill the shoes as a gunner, we have crazy good athletes all over the place

Returns will improve by a mile - you could tell Reggie didn't wanna be back there last year

tulsaoilerfan
7/20/2008, 06:54 PM
Tres Way by a mile - he will be the best kicker we have had under Stoops if he plays all 4 years

Someone will fill the shoes as a gunner, we have crazy good athletes all over the place

Returns will improve by a mile - you could tell Reggie didn't wanna be back there last year

I'm not sure Reggie wanted to be anywhere last season other than the NFL

IronHorseSooner
7/21/2008, 11:37 AM
I have been wondering about the return game a little. Will DM be back as a KR as much since his injury, or will Sims take his place? Also, will the coaches employ the 2-PR scheme like they did last year with someone opposite Franks like Sims/Broyles?

JLEW1818
7/21/2008, 12:37 PM
I'm sure Franks will get the nod on punts. Iggy is our guy on kickoff returns, he probably will never run it all the way back but he sets us up really nicely. D Murray will get some more too, just can't get the young man hurt, but we can’t be overprotected with him. Just gotta let the boys play. As for the kicker, I have no idea what he's made of. Big difference between a 30 yarder in practice, and a 30 yarder in the cotton bowl.

soonerfan28
7/21/2008, 01:07 PM
I have been wondering about the return game a little. Will DM be back as a KR as much since his injury, or will Sims take his place? Also, will the coaches employ the 2-PR scheme like they did last year with someone opposite Franks like Sims/Broyles?

I hadn't thought about Broyles on returns but he might be pretty good. I don't know that I would let Murray be a return man if he's going to be getting 15-20 carries a game. I know that last year he got hurt on special teams even though it was a non contact injury.

Blitzkrieg
7/21/2008, 01:38 PM
We did lead the nation in kickoff returns last year. Just thought I'd be positive.

Sooner_09
7/21/2008, 04:22 PM
I expect to see Iggy and Johnson taking kickoffs and Franks as PR, at least for week 1.

Curly Bill
7/21/2008, 04:26 PM
We did lead the nation in kickoff returns last year. Just thought I'd be positive.

That kind of attitude is not welcome around here, thank you. :mad:

:D

soonerfan28
7/21/2008, 04:58 PM
I think Proctor would make a great gunner. If he's as good as advertised then he could be a monster.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/21/2008, 06:09 PM

Kind of what I was thinking!!!! Maybe this year I won't have to cover my eyes on punt returns!

VA Sooner
7/21/2008, 08:33 PM
Rumor has it that the coaches will be protecting Murray a bit... no more kickoff returns. Would love to see Sims in action here.

Has anyone seen Tress Way kick? He's the dude from Tulsa Union that's supposed to have the huge leg. I thought Stevens did a decent job at the Spring Game.