PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine Hartman

badger
7/20/2008, 12:37 PM
We have had a good laugh about Whitney Hand, how she can outshoot a certain NBA Maverick, how an elementary school booed her when she said she was going to Oklahoma (to which she laughed and did a Horns Down), but the class also includes a certain point guard named Jasmine Hartman:
http://www.imagecabin.com/files/2008/07/20/thumbs/2165740288f709dbad94c4570.jpg (http://www.imagecabin.com/?view=2165740288f709dbad94c4570)
This is Hartman and Hand together (pic via SS.com). Hartman is from Bellaire, Texas.

HIGH SCHOOL ACCOLADES• Nation's No. 12 Point Guard (SLAM Magazine)
• Nation's No. 73 Overall Player (SLAM Magazine)
• Texas' No. 3 Point Guard (SLAM Magazine)
• 2008 Texas Class 5A All-State (Texas Association of Basketball Coaches)
• 2008 TABC All-Star Game Participant
• 2008 All-Texas First Team (Premier Basketball Report)
• 2008 All-Greater Houston First Team (Houston Chronicle)
• 2008 District 20-5A MVP (Houston Chronicle)
• 2008 Houston Top 20 Selection (Houston Top 20)
• 2006 District 20-5A Third Team (Houston Chronicle)
• 2005 and 2006 Top Ten All-America Camp Selection

BELLAIRE HIGH SCHOOL• Led the nation in assists (528) with 13.9 per game.
• Averaged 5.9 points, 4.4 rebounds and 13.9 assists as a senior.
• Point guard for team that finished season with 36-2 overall record (15-1 in district) and regional quarterfinal appearance; Bellaire averaged a 34-point margin of victory.
• Missed most of junior season after tearing posterior cruciate ligament (PCL).
• Coached by Michael Kramer at Bellaire; famous alumni include Carla Cortijo, Emeka Okafor and Jai Lucas.

PERSONAL• Daughter of Jessica Horton, the payroll manager for the Houston Astros; father is Julius Addison; stepfather is Tarik Horton.
• Has one younger sister, Tamia Horton.
• Granddaughter of J.C. Hartman, a Negro League All-Star, the first African-American player for the Houston Astros (Colt 45's), Kansas City Monarch and teammate of Satchel Paige and former Oklahoma City 89er.
• Picked Oklahoma over Arkansas, Missouri, TCU and Texas.
---

So there you have it. No lack of assists this upcoming season. My guess is that D-Rob Danielle Robinson will get the nod over Hartman initially, with potential for a froshie stealing the starting job later in the season.

There is also Rose Hammond, but she is more of a reserve, from what I've seen so far (Rose is now a junior). There is also a walk-on guard named Lauren Willis, who is sure to make you boys blush a la some of other notable off-the-bench players.

Depending on the opponent, it may also be a situation where we need a faster lineup, so Nyeshia Stevenson might also fill in the position of "point."

Right now, projected starters for a typical "I'm gonna beat you, beyonces" game will be...

C- Courtney Paris, 6-4, (Holy carp, a senior now?!) Piedmont, Calif.

Why: Because she fails rebounding each game, but yet still gets rebounding awards. Here's hoping she finally gets that elusive national championship/

Next reserves in order: After CP3 gets in early foul trouble, look for sister Ashley Paris to come off the bench. Next, Abi Olajuwon.

F- Amanda Thompson, 6-0, Junior, Chicago, Ill. (Whitney Young)

Why: Thompson, while she has the tendency to take questionable shots, has been one of our most solid players this past season. Look for another solid performance from Amanda "Let's give her a cool nickname" Thompson.

Next reserves in order: If Amanda starts fouling out of poor shooting frustration, look to Ashley Paris to take her place (if she has not already taken Courtney's spot on the floor). Abi Olajuwon will also be the next-in here.

F/G - Nyeshia Stevenson, 5-9, Junior, Little Rock, Ark. (McClellan)

Why: She's speedy, something the rest of the team's starters lack at times.

Next reserves in order: Carlee Roethlisberger, then they'll start taking guards... or perhaps we'll see three centers out on the floor at once? Not likely, but it might make for entertaining basketball.

G - Jenny Vining 5-9, Sophomore, Marshall, Ark. (Marshall)

Why: I think she earned a starting spot with last season's play. She really was a spark off the bench and reminded me of some past 3-shooters OU has had.

Next reserves in order: Rose Hammond has always been a quality back-up last season. Look for them to rob the cradle with hot shooter Whitney Hand is Vining's threes don't fall. If Vining doesn't secure her starting job, look for Hand to replace her mid-season. However, I don't see Hammond as a starter at all this year.

G - Danielle Robinson, 5-9, Sophomore, San Jose, Calif. (Archbishop Mitty)

Why: D-Rob add more much-needed speed. However, this is another spot that is up for grabs after the initial tune-up games.

Next reserves in order: The thread namesake here, Jasmine Hartman, who I think could challenge for a starting job if she proves to be less turnover prone than the starters. One thing's for sure - don't slack off on the off-season and off-court. We see enough of that in the men's sports.

badger
7/20/2008, 09:32 PM
Why do you all read but not comment? :(

Just for that, I am going to crush your little spirit:

IT IS STILL OFF SEASON!

:D Ok, now don't you feel like making offseason a little bit shorter by posting here? :D

Please? :O

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/20/2008, 09:48 PM
It's going to be an interesting season for sure. Whitney and Jasmine look invaluable.

badger
7/20/2008, 10:03 PM
Yay! No longer having basketball conversation with self.

Of course I love football season, being OU and all, but I think this team has the potential to do great things. There was definitely some chemistry issues last year. It seemed like every week a different player was caught in a slump and they didn't feed off each other's energy and stuff. Hmm...

I would be concerned about us only bringing in two new girls, but I suppose it depends on scholly availability. What is it, no more than five each year, no more than eight every two years? I dunno. Anyone else out there wanna play at OU? We swear that Sherri's System of Systematic Discipline isn't as bad as we make it sound here! (it's probably worse, tee hee)

So... more signees on the way? Do chicks do the juco thing too? Of course they do! Where the recruits at?

Eielson
7/20/2008, 10:41 PM
Why do you all read but not comment? :(

I'm sorry. I was still staring at shiny stuff.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/20/2008, 11:17 PM
I'm kind of concerned that with as few schollys as they have that they went ahead and kept Jenna on scholarship. Is this a normal thing to suspend someone indefinitely but let them keep their full ride?

Frozen Sooner
7/20/2008, 11:41 PM
I'm kind of concerned that with as few schollys as they have that they went ahead and kept Jenna on scholarship. Is this a normal thing to suspend someone indefinitely but let them keep their full ride?

I assume that her scholarship had already been renewed for the 2008/2009 school year. At this point, who are you going to bring in that'll help this year? If she gets her **** together, she's back next year. If she doesn't, we'll know in advance of the renewal date for 2008/2009 and can recruit someone who will have their **** together.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/21/2008, 03:54 AM
PERSONAL• Daughter of Jessica Horton, the payroll manager for the Houston Astros; father is Julius Addison; stepfather is Tarik Horton.
• Has one younger sister, Tamia Horton.
• Granddaughter of J.C. Hartman, a Negro League All-Star, the first African-American player for the Houston Astros (Colt 45's), Kansas City Monarch and teammate of Satchel Paige and former Oklahoma City 89er.
• Picked Oklahoma over Arkansas, Missouri, TCU and Texas.

Glad to see Ms. Hartman met the criteria of "you must have at least one famous relative before you sign with the Sooners.":D

badger
7/21/2008, 09:11 AM
Glad to see Ms. Hartman met the criteria of "you must have at least one famous relative before you sign with the Sooners.":D

Meh, I wouldn't call them as famous as, say... a young Super Bowl winning quarterback, a two-time NBA Finals MVP and champion, and a Super Bowl winning offensive lineman.

Think Lloyd Noble has room to make a little "celebrity box" so that the cameras know exactly who to show after every shot?

ESPN: We are here with Courtney and Ashley Paris' father, former NFL offensive lineman and Super Bowl champion Bubba Paris. Bubba, are you going to get your daughter a car?

Bubba Paris: Wtf... I thought we were going to talk about basketball...

ESPN: Just answer the question, Bubba. Your daughters. A car?

Bubba: Um... sure. I think I'll get them a car.

ESPN: There you have it, folks. The Paris twins are going to get a car. Back to you guys.

:rolleyes:

picasso
7/21/2008, 09:25 AM
I'm assuming Bellaire is the Houston suburb? My Sis used to live there.

badger
7/21/2008, 10:47 AM
Let's just make this a general women's basketball talkin' thread :D

Apparently, the team had a busy summer (insert unfunny joke about the wall marts here). You can view more info about their summer trip to Greece, including daily diaries from each player here. (http://www.soonersports.com/ot/02_wbb_euro_tour.html)

Is it November yet? The (Coach Coale: We are not the "Lady") Sooners host the preseason WNIT on the 15th, which SS.com reminds you does NOT fall on a football weekend! More info here. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/070708aaa.html)

I probably overreacted (I never overreact, haha) to us only having two in our recruiting class. I assume that they only mentioned these two because they are on campus now, whereas most who follow the traditional schooling route will not show up until later. Hand and Hartman, like some footballers we've had on campus, enrolled early in summer classes so they would be eligible to practice earlier. Linky here. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060608aaa.html)

Coach Coale has also been busy, and not just in refining her system of systematic discipline. Here (http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_194005406.html), she tells future kiddo athletes to not blow opportunities they have in front of them. After all, it took until the 70s for Title IX to take effect, but took decades more for OU to get on the map in volleyball and basketball. In other words, we are in the golden age of Oklahoma. Either love it, or go to Poke State :D

...ok, clarification. Poke State of now is not Poke State of old, even if their court's mascot is still the Cowboy and not the Cowgirl... maybe they can make him in Burke's likeness? Anyways, OSU is suddenly thinking they can compete with us (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080721_93_B1_spancl265527 ). We can blame the recruit that got away. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080721_93_B5_spancl982023 )

Probably because she didn't have any famous celeb parents or connections, right? Lolz. Carry on. I like the discussion :D

NormanPride
7/21/2008, 04:44 PM
Riley should really get her scholly in boxing.