PDA

View Full Version : OU/saxet in decline? Mandy's delusional

Jacie
7/20/2008, 08:41 AM
Red River Shootout's decline

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/07/16/cfb.bag/index.html?eref=T1

The gist of this article suggests OUr game versus the whorns has lost some luster this decade. Does he pay any attention to college football? He doesn't remember that between the two teams there are 6 conference titles and two national championships in 4 appearances over the last 8 seasons. I wonder what Mandy thinks it would take for the Red River Rivalry to NOT be in decline?

SoonerinSouthlake
7/20/2008, 09:23 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/07/16/cfb.bag/index.html?eref=T1

The gist of this article suggests OUr game versus the whorns has lost some luster this decade. Does he pay any attention to college football? He doesn't remember that between the two teams there are 6 conference titles and two national championships in 4 appearances over the last 8 seasons. I wonder what Mandy thinks it would take for the Red River Rivalry to NOT be in decline?

I didnt read it that way. His mistake was saying it has lost some luster "this DECADE" He shoulda said for the last 3 years....

I know there have been MNC implications every year, but Id say for the decade, the rivalry was at its peak the day of the SUPERMAN game. I suppose while WE all get fired up for the RRS, Nationally people dont think its as big of a deal

and to his point, unless they are big time favorites going in (like in a rebuild year for us) it has been pretty one sided.:D

AlbqSooner
7/20/2008, 09:48 AM
Actually he praised the importance of the rivalry "earlier this decade" and mentioned that it had lost some luster the past two of years.

soonersn20xx
7/20/2008, 09:57 AM
I guess this reporter forgot about the 90's.....:rolleyes:

Octavian
7/20/2008, 11:14 AM
Then what about Ohio St.-Michigan? Tressel has dominated the Wolverines and Michigan hasn't been in the national championship discussion in over a decade.

USC-Notre Dame? The Irish are a national laughing stock and Pete's annual whipping boy....ND hasn't won a bowl since the Holtz Era.

Florida-Georgia? The Dawgs have won, what, 3 times in the last 2 decades? They're both good now...but Georgia hasn't competed for a NC since the days of Herschell Walker.

Florida St.-Miami? Florida St.-Florida? Those games don't have anywhere near the implications they had at the beginning of the decade. FSU is an also-ran and Miami regularly gets pasted by basketball schools.

Alabama-Tennesse? Please.

If Mandel thinks the RRS has lost its luster....he's not coming to that conclusioin by comparing the RRS to the current state of other rivalries across the country. Maybe he's just holding OU and Texas to a standard in which both should be in the Top 5 every year. If he's doing that though, there isn't a true rivalry anywhere in America.

I like Mandel, but he didn't think about this answer for very long before he gave it.

Scott D
7/20/2008, 12:46 PM
Michigan/Ohio State is still the "prettyboy" in the rivalry game whether folks here like it or not. It's going to get the massive pimping by ESPN etc...because of it's usual implications in relation to the Rose Bowl, and we know how that bowl is more important than anything else in college football ;)

badger
7/20/2008, 01:16 PM
When you go from scores like 63-14 and 65-13 and 35-24 and stuff down to21-14, yeah, I'd say it might be in decline of total points scored.

KantoSooner
7/21/2008, 10:41 AM
It's going to be different since it is no longer an inter-conference thing. Think of the added 'zang' if OU had an annual game with LSU, or tOSU or USC. Although it's still the game of the year for me, as an intra-conf game, it just isn't the same on a national stage.

badger
7/21/2008, 11:05 AM
It's going to be different since it is no longer an inter-conference thing. Think of the added 'zang' if OU had an annual game with LSU, or tOSU or USC. Although it's still the game of the year for me, as an intra-conf game, it just isn't the same on a national stage.

I wouldn't mind an inter-intra-inner-conference series.

BAMA! We need a game! :D

IronHorseSooner
7/21/2008, 11:25 AM
Wherever I've been around the country, everybody seems to view the RRR as second to tOSU-Michigan, but still an important rivalry due to the success of both teams. Interestingly, most also view our rivalry with Neb right behind them. This is where I wish that the Big 12 would do like the SEC and have a designated other-divisional rival as a yearly game.

BillyBall
7/21/2008, 11:46 AM
Michigan hasn't been in the national championship discussion in over a decade.

Many people thought that Michigan deserved to be in the MNC game in a rematch against tOSU 2 years ago.

KantoSooner
7/21/2008, 01:07 PM
Many people thought that Michigan deserved to be in the MNC game in a rematch against tOSU 2 years ago.

Gadzooks! How horrible would that have been? Two teams typifying fat, slow, white boys playing with decades old schemes. Seriously, we should simply put the Big 10 off by themselves in a college football version of a 'Home for the Mentally Slow' and let them have a 'national championship' each year as they play each other. (Kind of a sub for a conf champ game).
They could have bunting in team colors, some neat-o songs and, when it was over, both teams could get trophys and t-shirts and go to a pizza joint for a post-game dinner together.

badger
7/21/2008, 02:04 PM
Wherever I've been around the country, everybody seems to view the RRR as second to tOSU-Michigan, but still an important rivalry due to the success of both teams. Interestingly, most also view our rivalry with Neb right behind them. This is where I wish that the Big 12 would do like the SEC and have a designated other-divisional rival as a yearly game.

Somebody remind me again what Michigan and Ohio have that we don't?

Oh yes, a history. They have a history. Ohio had tons of manufacturing jobs which helped build them up a blue collar state with hard workers. Michigan had manufacturing jobs in the auto industry, in addition to being home to many top auto makers.

Oklahoma also has a history in the oil industry and being the last Indian reservation. Texas has a history of being an energy state as well as an agricultural state. However, unlike Michigan and Ohio, Oklahoma and Texas have a history as well as a future.

tOSU and Michigan need the rivalry status more than OU and Texas do. Let them have it. There was a time when Oklahoma might have needed football to cope with Dust Bowl moving and the oil bust, but we're moving forward, dang it :)

picasso
7/21/2008, 03:33 PM

it's been bigger than ever since 2000.

sheesh.

bluedogok
7/21/2008, 08:52 PM
Well, to be fair, so many of these media people and fans have such short attention spans that 2-3 years is a "decade" to them....and a century is like 10-15 years :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:31 PM
If anything has lost it's "luster"...it's the Cotton Bowl.

I guess they are fixing it up a little but...really...they need to tear that thing down.

I know they probably won't unless they can build a new one and keep the old one intact until the new stadium was built. There's to many folks jumping on ending the Dallas thing to have a lapse.

soonerfan28
7/21/2008, 09:33 PM
Any chance both teams will be ranked as high as in 2002? We were 2 and Texas was 3.

stoopified
7/22/2008, 10:58 AM
Then what about Ohio St.-Michigan? Tressel has dominated the Wolverines and Michigan hasn't been in the national championship discussion in over a decade.

USC-Notre Dame? The Irish are a national laughing stock and Pete's annual whipping boy....ND hasn't won a bowl since the Holtz Era.

Florida-Georgia? The Dawgs have won, what, 3 times in the last 2 decades? They're both good now...but Georgia hasn't competed for a NC since the days of Herschell Walker.

Florida St.-Miami? Florida St.-Florida? Those games don't have anywhere near the implications they had at the beginning of the decade. FSU is an also-ran and Miami regularly gets pasted by basketball schools.

Alabama-Tennesse? Please.

If Mandel thinks the RRS has lost its luster....he's not coming to that conclusioin by comparing the RRS to the current state of other rivalries across the country. Maybe he's just holding OU and Texas to a standard in which both should be in the Top 5 every year. If he's doing that though, there isn't a true rivalry anywhere in America.

I like Mandel, but he didn't think about this answer for very long before he gave it.Couldn't have said it any better.