PDA

View Full Version : The Oklahoma City Thunder

BigRedJed
7/19/2008, 11:50 PM
I'm not crazy about the name, but oh, well. Bring on the hoop.

Pricetag
7/19/2008, 11:51 PM
It could have been a lot worse. New names are just getting really thin.

Mjcpr
7/19/2008, 11:54 PM
So Rus called it, that's the official name?

Eh, it's not bad. It's not great, it's not horrible. Those outside of OK will probably think it's a generic team name and those in the midwest will know there is more to it than just a generic name. The marketing folks can probably do a lot with it it. Good luck to them, I noticed they signed their first free agent recently.

BigRedJed
7/19/2008, 11:54 PM
My Stampede idea never grew legs. This is all my fault.

BigRedJed
7/19/2008, 11:57 PM
So Rus called it, that's the official name?

Eh, it's not bad. It's not great, it's not horrible. Those outside of OK will probably think it's a generic team name and those in the midwest will know there is more to it than just a generic name. The marketing folks can probably do a lot with it it. Good luck to them, I noticed they signed their first free agent recently.
Well, Mark Rodgers called it and Rus linked to a story on the KOCO website. Not to split hairs.

But it should be confirmed publicly tomorrow.

Rhino
7/19/2008, 11:57 PM
Any team name was going to be met with a general 'meh'.

After a few years, no one with think different.

Titans, Ravens, Grizzlies, Raptors, Bobcats, (Devil) Rays, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Marlins...most, if not all, are second nature now.

Mjcpr
7/19/2008, 11:58 PM
There is always a thin implication in his posts that he is familiar with the parties involved, so I just thought.....

:D

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 12:00 AM
Maybe even a bit more than thin......

Mjcpr
7/20/2008, 12:01 AM
Any team name was going to be met with a general 'meh'.

After a few years, no one with think different.

Titans, Ravens, Grizzlies, Raptors, Bobcats, (Devil) Rays, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Marlins...most, if not all, are second nature now.

Yeah, I think my Outisders idea was great but some fail to see my genius. :D Most of those are fairly meh, but the Dbacks, and Rockies aren't bad. Thunder seems really generic but I'm sure there are people in place that will do well with it.

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 12:05 AM
I thought Diamondbacks and Rockies, even Ravens were pretty decent. Raptors would be good, if the team was decent. But it's easy to associate suck with the name. I mean, seriously... ...Lakers? ****ty name, but a championship history worked wonders for them.

But yeah, great team names mostly are mostly snapped up at this point. I still think they should have paid Tulsa a crapload for Drillers. That name is ****ing awesome, and would be even better for a hoop squad.

Blue
7/20/2008, 12:05 AM
It's decent. What's the logo though? and colors? Black and Gold I hope.

Mjcpr
7/20/2008, 12:08 AM
I thought Diamondbacks and Rockies, even Ravens were pretty decent. Raptors would be good, if the team was decent. But it's easy to associate suck with the name. I mean, seriously... ...Lakers? ****ty name, but a championship history worked wonders for them.

But yeah, great team names mostly are mostly snapped up at this point. I still think they should have paid Tulsa a crapload for Drillers. That name is ****ing awesome, and would be even better for a hoop squad.

You've said this before....but why would anybody owe the Tulsa Drillers anything if they chose that? There are surely teams out there with the same name. The logo and stuff, I'm sure, are trademarked but who says somebody else can't use "Drillers" or whatever?

Turd_Ferguson
7/20/2008, 12:09 AM
It's decent. What's the logo though? and colors? Black and Gold I hope.What's wrong with Crimson and Cream:confused:

Blue
7/20/2008, 12:11 AM
OKC THUNDER. Rolls off the tongue.

Scott D
7/20/2008, 12:11 AM
Ownership just went with Thunder because they were huge AC/DC fans, and they wanted to try for exclusive licensing for Thunderstruck for player intros ;)

Blue
7/20/2008, 12:12 AM
That'd be cool...especially for the Finals.

You got a fan over here in Atlanta. I might even go to a Hawks game now.

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 12:13 AM
It's decent. What's the logo though? and colors? Black and Gold I hope.
I haven't seen it. I just had a friend who definitely is in a position to know call and confirm the name. But most of the talk I have heard has been people talking about just how tight-lipped everybody has been on this. Generally I can get some great gossip (downtown is just like a small town), but (supposedly) even the Mayor and the President of the OKC Chamber didn't have confirmation on the name as recently as last week.

Blue
7/20/2008, 12:16 AM
With the spurs being Black and silver, black and gold might be a longshot. Maybe Crimson and Silver? Blue and Silver?

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 12:17 AM
You've said this before....but why would anybody owe the Tulsa Drillers anything if they chose that? There are surely teams out there with the same name. The logo and stuff, I'm sure, are trademarked but who says somebody else can't use "Drillers" or whatever?
I think it would alienate potential fans in Tulsa if they just used the name without some consideration. And frankly, if they were going to use it I'd think it would work better if the Tulsa baseball team changed their name, which they wouldn't do without a whole lot of money to make it worth their while.

Plus -- and I'm no expert in law, much less copyright/trademark law -- but I'd think a team located in Oklahoma would have more of a case against another team in Oklahoma using the same name than a team in another state would. I know when I have gotten company marks more attention was paid to in-state than out-of-state.

Rhino
7/20/2008, 12:20 AM
I think they just want to play Marijuana Thunder (http://savefile.com/files/1677291).

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2008, 12:20 AM
So whaddya call the cheerleaders,

The Thunderclaps?

:pop:

Mjcpr
7/20/2008, 12:21 AM
Hmm....interesting. Well, the Drillers are getting a new stadium so maybe they'd be up for a name change for a small fee to make up for the SemGroup's donation to the ballpark which will surely go down the ****ter what with their possible bankruptcy and whatnot.

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 12:22 AM
I think they just want to play Marijuana Thunder (http://savefile.com/files/1677291).
I can't believe you found that. Actually, I guess I can't believe it took you so long to post it.

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 12:25 AM
Hmm....interesting. Well, the Drillers are getting a new stadium so maybe they'd be up for a name change for a small fee to make up for the SemGroup's donation to the ballpark which will surely go down the ****ter what with their possible bankruptcy and whatnot.
When the 89ers moved from One Sport Stadium to the ballpark in Bricktown, I remember reading some data that attendance spikes tremendously in a new ballpark automatically, and that name changes have a similar effect (strangely). That was part of the rationale when they renamed the 89ers to the Redhawks.

Mjcpr
7/20/2008, 12:34 AM
So, about that SemGroup donation.....

r5TPsooner
7/20/2008, 12:38 AM
Someone mentioned the name Bombers like The Midwest City high school and I really liked that. Unfortunately, with the federal bombing I knew that wasn't going to happen.

At least the name isn't gonna be Twisters or Outlaws.

Scott D
7/20/2008, 12:43 AM
or Ternadahs ;)

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2008, 01:36 AM
I'm appalled this hasn't been moved to the General Sports Forum.

7/20/2008, 02:01 AM
The "Oklahoma City Offseason"

Scott D
7/20/2008, 02:35 AM
I'm appalled this hasn't been moved to the General Sports Forum.

past that mod's bedtime I bet ;)

Chuck Bao
7/20/2008, 03:13 AM

The Thunderclaps?

Spek and I'm pretty sure the OKC Thunderclaps would be contagious.

tommieharris91
7/20/2008, 03:24 AM
Spek and I'm pretty sure the OKC Thunderclaps would be contagious.

Every last one of em. Even the one's they get from OU.

def_lazer_fc
7/20/2008, 03:33 AM
When the 89ers moved from One Sport Stadium to the ballpark in Bricktown, I remember reading some data that attendance spikes tremendously in a new ballpark automatically, and that name changes have a similar effect (strangely). That was part of the rationale when they renamed the 89ers to the Redhawks.

people in oklahoma like new shiny things. hence the success of that craptastical theater in moore. :pop:

Blue
7/20/2008, 03:41 AM
Why anybody in OKLAHOMA would dog this is beyond me.

def_lazer_fc
7/20/2008, 03:46 AM
Why anybody in OKLAHOMA would dog this is beyond me.

the name? i wouldn't....if this was the name of a new arena football team. sounds kinda hokie to me, but its no surprise. i knew it was going to be something to do with tornadies and such so whatever. im still gonna be rocking a throwback Detlef Schrempf jersey so the "thundah" can suck it.

Blue
7/20/2008, 03:48 AM
the name? i wouldn't....if this was the name of a new arena football team. sounds kinda hokie to me, but its no surprise. i knew it was going to be something to do with tornadies and such so whatever. im still gonna be rocking a throwback Detlef Schrempf jersey so the "thundah" can suck it.

That's dumb as ****. OKC is lucky to have a team and if you wan't more you'll support it.

Wearing a Sonics jersey would make you look like an ***.

def_lazer_fc
7/20/2008, 03:52 AM
That's dumb as ****. OKC is lucky to have a team and if you wan't more you'll support it.

i totally wan't more. (?)

and a Detlef Schrempf jersey?! hardly. dude controlled the paint like no other............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............big goofy white guy. as far as the ****-ugly gene is concerned, Big country has nothing on Detlef.

Blue
7/20/2008, 04:03 AM
ok

shaun4411
7/20/2008, 07:56 AM
people in oklahoma like new shiny things. hence the success of that craptastical theater in moore. :pop:

i believe they are building another one on memorial

OU-HSV
7/20/2008, 08:45 AM

The Thunderclaps?

Hopefully not the Thunder Thighs :eek:

reevie
7/20/2008, 09:00 AM
Fans can be the Thunderheads.

All the Thunderheads go to the Thunderdome to see the Thunderclaps cheer on the Thunder.

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2008, 09:14 AM
Go have team parties on Lake Thunderbird.

Errr, nevermind.

SoonerDood
7/20/2008, 09:18 AM
any truth to Gary England being the mascot?

reevie
7/20/2008, 09:20 AM
any truth to Gary England being the mascot?

No, but Val will be walking around the arena during the games looking for wall clouds.

reevie
7/20/2008, 09:26 AM
No, but Val will be walking around the arena during the games looking for wall clouds.

and if we're lucky, they'll interupt the game with live reports from Val on the scoreboard. "I'm on the concourse, just past the 117/118 entry Gary. I think I see some clouds, but since it is dark and raining it is hard to make out. Maybe we'll get some lightning so I can get a brief look at what is there. I have not seen any cows flying across the road, but several walk the other direction by me. Can you believe that a beer cost $12 here? Wait, Wait is that it? Oh no. I'll keep looking and let you know if I see something. now back to the game in progress."

Dio
7/20/2008, 04:47 PM
And when Shaq or Cuban show up we can flip them the Thunderbird.

Viking Kitten
7/20/2008, 05:15 PM
My son's little league football team for the last four years has been the Thunder. He's moving up to tackle this year, so the whole family is left with a lot of Thunder T-shirts and stuff. If they choose blue and gold for the team colors, this is going to rock so hard.

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 05:33 PM
By the way, I'm now less convinced of the name than I was when I posted this thread. It still sounds like speculation to me, despite where it came from. If it isn't, lots of people will have egg on their faces. This deal is wild. Like I said, as of last week even the Mayor didn't know the name, supposedly.

Viking Kitten
7/20/2008, 05:36 PM
Great. Now WTF am I gonna do with my "Thunder Mom" shirt??

birddog
7/20/2008, 05:42 PM
By the way, I'm now less convinced of the name than I was when I posted this thread. It still sounds like speculation to me, despite where it came from. If it isn't, lots of people will have egg on their faces. This deal is wild. Like I said, as of last week even the Mayor didn't know the name, supposedly.

that would make a great media punk'd episode. i hope it's true and they rock something that will knock our socks off.

you'd think if it's true they'd go ahead and formally announce it but maybe they're waiting to show the unis and logo before they give us what we want.

CORNholio
7/20/2008, 06:27 PM
I would think that if it's not true they would make a public correction after all it's in the DOK and doesn't the ownership groups family run that thing?

CORNholio
7/20/2008, 06:28 PM
Or maybe they are just testing the waters with rumors to see what the reception would be if they did choose that name.

reevie
7/20/2008, 06:34 PM

Mark Rogers with egg on his face? That's ok with me and he'll get over it because we'll have a better name.

tulsaoilerfan
7/20/2008, 06:48 PM
Or maybe they are just testing the waters with rumors to see what the reception would be if they did choose that name.

I was wondering the same thing; the Thunder just sounds too minor leaguish to me

bri
7/20/2008, 07:45 PM

So, when they do the inevitable "turn back the clock" nights where the team dresses in Sonics gear, they'll look like *sses?

StoopTroup
7/20/2008, 07:47 PM
We are clear to recruit a Player from Down-Under...

It so rhymes with Thunder.

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2008, 07:50 PM
So, when they do the inevitable "turn back the clock" nights where the team dresses in Sonics gear, they'll look like *sses?

Don't think that situation will ever happen.

IIRC, the City of Seattle retained the Sonics' nickname and the green and gold color scheme.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2008, 08:26 PM
We are clear to recruit a Player from Down-Under...

It so rhymes with Thunder.

and Jahunder.

ROCK!

GottaHavePride
7/20/2008, 08:27 PM
If "Thunder" sticks as a nickname, BlindCajun and TopDawg have already recorded a song for the team. :D

LilSooner
7/20/2008, 09:06 PM
I just wish they would hurry the heck up. Let get this going.

reevie
7/20/2008, 09:25 PM
I just wish they would hurry the heck up. Let get this going.

Amen

Getem
7/20/2008, 09:29 PM
Thunder is kind of lame. If they're going with the weather motif, I would rather have the OKC Lightning. Or the Torrent. Or the Rainstorm.

How bout the OKC Claystompers?

bri
7/20/2008, 09:31 PM

IIRC, the City of Seattle retained the Sonics' nickname and the green and gold color scheme.

I thought the settlement allowed the Bennett group to use them for "throwback" purposes?

As a Bulls fan, I'm going to enjoy walking into the Ford Center and being able to laugh at the Sonics' 1996 Western Conference Champions banner. :D

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 09:38 PM
I don't think they are actually going to hang that. It would be some serious weaksauce if they did.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/20/2008, 09:40 PM
I don't think they are actually going to hang that. It would be some serious weaksauce if they did.I thought I read where they already said they weren't. Or maybe Berry T. just said they shouldn't.

bri
7/20/2008, 09:40 PM
Well, what's the point in making two sets of trophies and banners, one to leave in Seattle and one to bring to OKC if you're not gonna display them? Was he just being an epic prick on that one? :D

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 09:42 PM
Probably. He wants his pound of flesh. The Seattle folks were a bunch of schlongs during the entire episode.

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, I just broke out Shakespeare up in this bitch.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/20/2008, 09:44 PM
Shakespeare used the word 'schlong?'

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 09:46 PM
He would have if it were around. Schlong is a great word. Especially since it isn't censored on here.

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 09:52 PM
Did I just admit to liking "schlong?"

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/20/2008, 10:00 PM
Surely you meant to just say you liked the sound of the word schlong, not the schlong itself.

Then again, you do ride a Vespa.

Blue
7/20/2008, 10:22 PM

Like Grapevine said, would they allow it? It's an entirely new team. All that stays in Seattle, I think.

CORNholio
7/20/2008, 11:32 PM
Shakespeare used the word 'schlong?'

:les: OKC Schlongs!!

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2008, 11:41 PM
Surely you meant to just say you liked the sound of the word schlong, not the schlong itself.

Then again, you do ride a Vespa.

Just don't ride a schl...

I can't say it.

:rolleyes:

Soonerpsycho
7/20/2008, 11:49 PM
If it is the OKC Thunder, does it mean this guy will be our mascot?

http://www.heroesimages.com/images/8-photos-thor-g.jpg

bri
7/20/2008, 11:52 PM
He would have if it were around. Schlong is a great word. Especially since it isn't censored on here.

Yeah, just wait until I use it in a couple of tirades. :D

OUDizzle
7/21/2008, 03:37 AM

Oooor...
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3930/thundercatsmc4.jpg

Hot Rod
7/21/2008, 07:35 AM
Well, I can see the pregame being kind of cool with some thunder sounds on the speakers as the starting lineup is called.

I wonder if they'll use Garth's song at anytime.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 07:48 AM
Oooor...

Sorry 93....

But...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=36406

OUDoc
7/21/2008, 08:14 AM
Seriously, if it were announced today, Supersonics wouldn't get a standing ovation. Say it with a lisp and it's even better. There are several NBA team names that seem goofy to me, only no one questions them because they've been around a while and have history.
Whatever it is, we'll be fine.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 08:17 AM
The Tulsa Seahawks sure have a nice ring to it. :D ;)

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 08:42 AM
Hopefully they will have the sense to eschew Garth for AC/DC's Thunderstruck. Also, I can't remember what lame nickname Tramel was pitching for the FC, but if it's anything other than the "Thunderdome" I'm gonna whip somebody.

OUDoc
7/21/2008, 08:52 AM
Sudden Center

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 09:18 AM
See? That makes me want to commence to whippin'.

Mixer!
7/21/2008, 09:21 AM

I was thinking more along this line:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/marivic1973/Raiden.jpg

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:25 AM
OTay Center. :D ;)
http://www.jayquan.com/murphy.jpg

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 09:26 AM
If they got a guy with glowing eyes and who could make craploads of electricity arc between his hands, I would be totally down with that. Kobe, Lebron et al would crap their pants every time they came here, and it would have nothing to do with the hoopsters we're throwing out there. Advantage OKC.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:32 AM
Agreed Jed...a Mascot that can go around electricuting opposing fans would be teh awesome!

OUDoc
7/21/2008, 09:34 AM
If they got a guy with glowing eyes and who could make craploads of electricity arc between his hands, I would be totally down with that. Kobe, Lebron et al would crap their pants every time they came here, and it would have nothing to do with the hoopsters we're throwing out there. Advantage OKC.

Ditka is going to be our mascot? Cool.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:41 AM
Ditka is going to be our mascot? Cool.

yeah...cool. :eek:

http://stillfootball.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/ditka-cinco.jpg

Partial Qualifier
7/21/2008, 09:57 AM
Thunder's not bad. It's got potential.

One point, which was previously theory with little doubt but was proven through all of this: When Mark Rodgers says he's got an insider, and he's got the straight scoop on something from the unnamed insider.... we can all safely ignore whatever follows.

picasso
7/21/2008, 10:10 AM
I always thought of "The Oklahoma City Five." Because they would be playing 5 at a time.

You know, a kock-off of the Seattle 7?

And they'd better not use that Garfth song, the thunder roars. blech.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 10:14 AM
OMG...

http://www.mahoningvalleythunder.com/images/news/Thunder%20Corporate%20Logo%20NEW.jpg

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.rockfordthunder.net/thunder.jpg

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.rchelicopter.com/article-images/thunder-power-rc-japanese-f3c-team.jpg

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 10:16 AM
http://hotcellularphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/thunder2.jpg

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 10:17 AM
http://www.nahl.com/news/0708/img/20080430albert_lea_thunder.jpg

StoopTroup
http://freshnessmag.com/v4/wp-gallery/aug_06/jordan_4_thunder_lighting/jordan_4_thunder_lighting_pack.jpg

picasso
thunder from jahunder.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 10:18 AM
http://www.eteamz.com/nfgsthunder/images/ThunderLogo.jpg

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 10:19 AM
The Defense rests your honor...:eek:

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 10:31 AM
You know, Thor does live in Oklahoma (http://newsok.com/article/3082682) these days. Perhaps, as part of some giant conspiracy, Clay and the boys paid Marvel to bring him here.

OUDoc
7/21/2008, 10:40 AM
You know, Thor does live in Oklahoma (http://newsok.com/article/3082682) these days. Perhaps, as part of some giant conspiracy, Clay and the boys paid Marvel to bring him here.

That article was from a year ago. If Thor and Clay exchanged emails, don't let that get out.

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 10:49 AM
That's what I'm saying. A year ago. After they had given up on the Seattle situation. You'd have to go some months back to when Marvel actually made the decision to move him here, but if it is discovered that the Marvel decision was made too many months back, Seattle probably will file another lawsuit.

soonerbrat
7/21/2008, 11:09 AM
http://www.stomptokyo.com/otf/Babysitting/DzlItem687.jpg

Fugue
7/21/2008, 11:19 AM
http://hotcellularphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/thunder2.jpg

this logo should get all the Blazers fans on board

:)

soonerboomer93
7/21/2008, 11:23 AM
Sorry 93....

But...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=36406

you had me confizzled

and then i realized, you were calling upon the awesomeness that is my thundercats avatar

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 11:26 AM
you had me confizzled

and then i realized, you were calling upon the awesomeness that is my thundercats avatar

LOL...

That I did. That's not you in the spandex is it? :D :pop:

If it is...you should color the hair red IMO.

And get some decent sneakers.

Mixer!
7/21/2008, 12:05 PM
this logo should get all the Blazers fans on board

:)
The Blazers still have fans? :O

TexasLidig8r
7/21/2008, 12:21 PM
I read the mascot will look like this...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/PhotozOnline/Album%20Two/Quake_Cereal_Box.jpg

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 12:26 PM
Oh great...

n4HJSzbO3CY&NR=1

KC//CRIMSON
7/21/2008, 07:37 PM
Great. Now WTF am I gonna do with my "Thunder Mom" shirt??

You could change it to "Thunder Mamms!"

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 07:42 PM
Cheerleeders called "Thunderthighs" in 3.....2.....

Getem
7/21/2008, 08:13 PM
THe difference between names like SuperSonics, Heat, Jazz, etc. and Thunder is that those names are not common. Thunder is completely unoriginal and besides Oklahoma already has a Thunder (http://www.oklahomathunderfootball.com/page/page/5481686.htm) - the minor league football team that Kejuan plays on (currently undefeated btw). But then, knowing the chowderheads behind all this, they chose Thunder purposefully to undermine the Tulsa-based Oklahoma Thunder. Drillers was probably their 2nd choice, followed by Roughnecks, Hurricane, etc.

soonerboomer93
7/21/2008, 08:26 PM
Cheerleeders called "Thunderthighs" in 3.....2.....

that's so last page

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 08:27 PM
Cheerleeders called "Thunderthighs" in -1.....-2.....

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 08:28 PM
I wonder what VK has to say...

Viking Kitten
You could change it to "Thunder Mamms!"

Yeah, but the only thing I intend to nurse at OKC NBA games is an icy cold beer or two. Or ten.

StoopTroup
Oklahoma Blunder is what I seem to be hearing the talking heads spewing...

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 08:29 PM
Just call me Carnac.

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 08:33 PM
I'm still not 100% convinced that "Thunder" is it. I understand a few people who have "reported" this are a little nervous right now. A number of people have stuck their necks out, and it could be a punking of epic proportions.

Viking Kitten
7/21/2008, 08:38 PM
I was thinking of something other than "Carnac" but it probably wouldn't make it past the profanity filter.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 08:42 PM
Berry Tramel was set up again by the message boards...lol

tulsaoilerfan
7/21/2008, 08:44 PM
Anything official yet?

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 08:53 PM
I still like "The Oklahoma Effin' Hillbillies".

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 08:55 PM
Or..."The Oklahoma Pint Pitchers"...or course that has more of a baseball ring...we can use that once we get The Mariners. ;) :D

reevie
7/21/2008, 09:14 PM
I'm still not 100% convinced that "Thunder" is it. I understand a few people who have "reported" this are a little nervous right now. A number of people have stuck their necks out, and it could be a punking of epic proportions.

Are you thinking someone set up the "reporters" to make them look bad? Or was Thunder on the short list and either floated out there for an initial reaction or just a premature leak before the final decision?

BigRedJed
7/21/2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I'm not thinking anything, really. It occurs to me that it might have been a good way for them to dip their toe on a name, but not commit to it. But all I'm going on is that it hasn't been confirmed or denied yet, that people who have reported it are sweating a little, and that people I have talked to who normally would have known something like this for weeks are apparently as in the dark as you or me.

It is literally shocking to me some of the people who have insisted they know nothing. Some of whom would normally tell me they know, if only to rub it in a bit. It's a weird deal.

bluedogok
7/21/2008, 09:38 PM
Go have team parties on Lake Thunderbird.

Errr, nevermind.
While drinkin' Thunderbird...

Yeah, I don't think the Baltimore Ravens have any Cleveland Browns or Baltimore Colts throwback unis......

I forgot about the Wichita Thunder, I was thinking of the WLAF/NFL-Europe Berlin Thunder.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:50 PM
Just to set the mood...

-M3_HsNlH0w&feature=related

Mixer!
7/21/2008, 10:03 PM
"Thunder" is as bland, generic, and corporate sounding as "RedHawks" (or Outlaws/Twisters/etc). Why can't teams have a nickname with local flavor anymore?

And FWIW Jed, I always thought Stampede would've made for a great name for OKC's NFL team.

GottaHavePride
7/21/2008, 10:54 PM
Why can't teams have a nickname with local flavor anymore?

Because the PC crowd sues people until people retire any and all native american-based team names out of sheer exasperation.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2008, 11:01 PM
Or..."The Oklahoma Pint Pitchers"...or course that has more of a baseball ring...we can use that once we get The Mariners. ;) :D

:mad:

Actually, the Mariners have pretty good fan support and one of the best parks in the majors.

^^

That came across as more angry or aggressive than I meant it.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 11:02 PM
Is Thunder > Lightning ?

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2008, 11:05 PM
In fact, anyone want to organize a group outing to a Mariner's game while we're all up in the U&L?

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2008, 11:11 PM
Whoops, never mind. The M's are on a 10-day roadie from the 11th to the 21st of September.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 11:11 PM
If your saying around 9/13/08 for the Washington game...

It looks like the Mariners are on the road to me...

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=sea&m=9&y=2008

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2008, 11:17 PM
Whoops, never mind. The M's are on a 10-day roadie from the 11th to the 21st of September.

If your saying around 9/13/08 for the Washington game...

It looks like the Mariners are on the road to me...

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=sea&m=9&y=2008

You don't say...;)

How about a Chickens game? They're at home vs. the 9ers on the 14th.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 11:21 PM
Unless I can pull off not using any vacation days until September...

I might not be able to do the Huskie Game.

But...if I am able to...how about a tour of the old Sonics place? ;) :D

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2008, 11:24 PM
Unless I can pull off not using any vacation days until September...

I might not be able to do the Huskie Game.

But...if I am able to...how about a tour of the old Sonics place? ;) :D

It's right next door to the EMP, so that'd be kind of cool.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 11:27 PM
We should wear Thunder Jerseys if we go...

picasso
7/22/2008, 12:21 PM
ok, out of boredom last evening I browsed an o-state board and yep, they were jizzin themselves about the prospect of playing the Garfth Brooks Thunder song for the intro.

That's how I know you're gay.

bri
7/22/2008, 12:31 PM
Why can't teams have a nickname with local flavor anymore?

Because the whole idea of having a major league sports franchise is to have a far-reaching of a fanbase as possible. "Local flavor" is what you have to do when you're a minor league team having to drum up every last bit of local support.

sooner_born_1960
7/22/2008, 12:36 PM
Winning creates a much larger "far-reaching fanbase" than nicknames. In the end, that's what will be the key factor in the success or lack of success of the new local franchise.

bri
7/22/2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, but until you play some games, a good name/design goes a long way. How many people did you see wearing San Jose Sharks, Toronto Raptors, etc stuff even before they ever played a game?

If you want the pure drive to win, go watch high school sports. These guys are here to make money, and you do that with merch sales. Don't believe me? All you have to do is look at why the team's moving in the first place; it's not because the owners were losing games, it's 'cause they were losing money.

Oh, and also because the owners only bought the team so they could move it. :D

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 01:28 PM
That's how I know you're gay.
Because you're browsing o-state boards?

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 01:35 PM
Bri...

Your right about one thing...

Maybe if when the name was released and we would see an Ad Campaign around the release and the Team Products were there for us to buy...

Well...just maybe we wouldn't be still throwing around names like we are.

Maybe we might be thinking..."Wow...those are pretty cool...I'm gonna buy one for me and my Kid".

Just a thought.

ST

Mixer!
7/22/2008, 02:55 PM
Because the whole idea of having a major league sports franchise is to have a far-reaching of a fanbase as possible. "Local flavor" is what you have to do when you're a minor league team having to drum up every last bit of local support.

All I can say in defense is:
Philadelphia Phillies
New England/Boston Patriots
Detroit Pistons
Toronto Maple Leafs
Boston Celtics
Philadelphia 76ers
Green Bay Packers
Washington Capitols

All major league teams with a "local flavor" nickname.

Now I ask in return: if this team were coming to Tulsa, would you accept a more far-reaching nickname like Thunder over a local flavor name such as Oilers, Drillers, Crude, Barons, or Roughnecks(I'm keeping with the "Oil Capitol of the World" theme here with my suggestions.)?

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 02:57 PM
Tulsa Terror

Dio
7/22/2008, 03:47 PM
The Tulsa Bikerfoxes?

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 03:50 PM
The Tulsa Bikerfoxes?

He'd be dead within a week of the announcement is my guess.

Harry Beanbag
7/22/2008, 05:56 PM
Philadelphia Phillies
Detroit Pistons
Toronto Maple Leafs
Boston Celtics
Philadelphia 76ers
Green Bay Packers
Washington Capitols

All major league teams with a "local flavor" nickname.

Now I ask in return: if this team were coming to Tulsa, would you accept a more far-reaching nickname like Thunder over a local flavor name such as Oilers, Drillers, Crude, Barons, or Roughnecks(I'm keeping with the "Oil Capitol of the World" theme here with my suggestions.)?

Here are some more...

San Francisco 49ers
Baltimore Ravens
Houston Rockets
Houston Astros
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
Minnesota Vikings
Colorado Rockies
Texas Rangers
Arizona Diamondbacks
Pittsburgh Steelers
Arizona Cardinals (just kidding)

I think Toronto Raptors is the cheesiest, most ill-fitting and contrived nickname ever. The team played its first season in 1995, before Jurassic Park came out in '93 nobody had ever heard of a velociraptor. They named their team after a Hollywood computer generated creature fer cryin' outloud. :rolleyes:

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 06:08 PM
What about the Anaheim Ducks? They named their team after a Disney movie with Emilio Estevez in the lead role. Think those guys caught some **** on the ice?

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 06:09 PM
Right up until they won the Stanley Cup, of course.

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 06:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/MightyDucksOfAnaheim.png

BigRedJed
7/22/2008, 06:10 PM
:les: SCARY!!!

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2008, 06:15 PM
Philadelphia Phillies
Detroit Pistons
Toronto Maple Leafs
Boston Celtics
Philadelphia 76ers
Green Bay Packers
Washington Capitols

Here are some more...

San Francisco 49ers
Baltimore Ravens
Houston Rockets
Houston Astros
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
Minnesota Vikings
Colorado Rockies
Texas Rangers
Arizona Diamondbacks
Pittsburgh Steelers
Arizona Cardinals (just kidding)

Including some teams that have since moved or changed names:

Washington Bullets
Portland TrailBlazers
Edmonton Oilers
New Orleans Jazz
Minneapolis Lakers
New York Knickerbockers
Florida Marlins
Atlanta Flames (I always thought that was in rather poor taste)
San Diego Clippers

Harry Beanbag
7/22/2008, 06:17 PM
What about the Anaheim Ducks? They named their team after a Disney movie with Emilio Estevez in the lead role. Think those guys caught some **** on the ice?

Yeah, that was pretty ghey too.

Mixer!
7/22/2008, 10:30 PM
I think Toronto Raptors is the cheesiest, most ill-fitting and contrived nickname ever. The team played its first season in 1995, before Jurassic Park came out in '93 nobody had ever heard of a velociraptor. They named their team after a Hollywood computer generated creature fer cryin' outloud. :rolleyes:
There was a minor league baseball team called the Ogden Raptors back in the early 90's, and they were named after the fossil/skeleton that had been unearthed near there(IIRC).

I agree with your above sentiment 100%, BTW.

RacerX
7/22/2008, 10:45 PM
Tulsa Terror

Tulsa Hills and Trees

IronSooner
7/22/2008, 11:26 PM
I think my biggest issue is that there's no "S" at the end. Thunder. Go look up WNBA names and then look up NBA names.

Drillers would've been cool, or anything referencing the oil industry. And preferably plural.

I'll get over it, as has been said, it's not great, it's not bad, could be worse. Just seems like a WNBA name to me. Or a soccer team name. Not so much the NBA. Oh well

StoopTroup
7/22/2008, 11:43 PM
Thunderers?

Scott D
7/23/2008, 06:50 AM

well to be fair, when the franchise was awarded to Anaheim, Disney had a major major stake in team ownership. And it wasn't that bad of a marketing move by them to use the movies to "debut" uniform changes for the NHL franchise. They didn't become the "Ducks" until Disney sold their stakes in the team to private investors.

Now if we want to talk insane name changes...we could start with the California Angel....er Anaheim Angel......er The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Chuck Bao
7/23/2008, 07:27 AM
I was all okay with Thunder, but OKC Drillers is better.

Can I change my vote?

StoopTroup
7/23/2008, 09:50 AM
OKC Schooners?

Jimminy Crimson
7/23/2008, 10:18 AM
Names that are just as bad as Thunder in the NBA:

Bobcats
Cavaliers
Nuggets
Warriors
Pacers
Clippers
Lakers
Heat
Bucks
Nets
Magic
Suns
Jazz

We're not alone. Every one of those names sound strange as hell.

StoopTroup
7/23/2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah Jimminy...I bet Cavaliers caused a bigger stink than Thunder.

Jimminy Crimson
7/23/2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah Jimminy...I bet Cavaliers caused a bigger stink than Thunder.

When was the last time (or ever) that there were Cavaliers in Ohio? :texan:

BigRedJed
7/23/2008, 12:07 PM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/1990-94-Chevrolet-Cavalier-94123301990102.jpg

shaun4411
7/23/2008, 12:10 PM
When was the last time (or ever) that there were Cavaliers in Ohio? :texan:

when were there any in oklahoma?

Jimminy Crimson
7/23/2008, 12:55 PM
when were there any in oklahoma?

We were the Cavalry, not the Cavaliers, if that's what you're referencing...

Jimminy Crimson
7/23/2008, 12:59 PM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/1990-94-Chevrolet-Cavalier-94123301990102.jpg

For.
The.
Win.

:gary:

BigRedJed
7/23/2008, 01:01 PM

http://www.xbox3sixty.co.uk/e107_images/newspost_images/pwned.jpg

birddog
7/23/2008, 01:16 PM

i thought about correcting him but i thought shirley he knew the difference.

BigRedJed
7/23/2008, 01:17 PM
Maybe so, but don't call me Shirley.

BigRedJed
7/23/2008, 01:17 PM
BETCHA HAVEN'T HEARD THAT ONE!!!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/23/2008, 03:06 PM
BETCHA HAVEN'T HEARD THAT ONE!!!Have you ever seen a grown man naked, Jed?

shaun4411
7/23/2008, 03:45 PM
once per week in teh shower

Harry Beanbag
7/23/2008, 05:18 PM
Names that are just as bad as Thunder in the NBA:

Bobcats
Cavaliers
Nuggets
Warriors
Pacers
Clippers
Lakers
Heat
Bucks
Nets
Magic
Suns
Jazz

We're not alone. Every one of those names sound strange as hell.

Yeah, the NBA is not the hotbed of sweet *** nicknames. Although I think Suns is perfect for the Phoenix team since it feels like we are living on the surface of it.

Stitch Face
7/23/2008, 05:33 PM
Now that you mention it, "Thunder" may be slightly better than "Jazz" or "Magic." I still don't like it as well as "Barons," however, and I never really liked "Barons" all that much. Oh, well. The grass is always greener.

soonerboomer93
7/24/2008, 12:47 AM
the nuggets crazy miner mascot was kickass though

StoopTroup
7/24/2008, 12:55 AM
Was that that Crazy George guy that started his act in Tulsa at Roughneck games?

If it was...that guy could really pummp up a crowd with a drum...lol

http://www.bsu.edu/alumni/media/15360/p42.jpg

soonerboomer93
7/24/2008, 01:36 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/nuggets/logo_maxieminer.jpg

Lott's Bandana
7/24/2008, 10:57 AM
[quote=Mike Rich;2343110]:mad:

Actually, the Mariners used to have pretty good fan support and one of the best parks in the majors.

quote]

fixed.

StoopTroup
7/24/2008, 10:58 AM
OKC Bandanas?

Mixer!
7/24/2008, 11:49 AM
OKC Warbonnets

Lott's Bandana
7/24/2008, 11:56 AM
OKC Bandanas?

Now THAT makes Lott's o' sense...

Lott's Bandana
7/24/2008, 11:59 AM
What about the Anaheim Mighty Ducks? They named their team after a Disney movie with Emilio Estevez in the lead role. Think those guys caught some **** on the ice?

Fixed.

Jed, you forgot the cheesiest part of the name.

Perhaps:

The OKC Teh Awesome Thunder

BigRedJed
7/24/2008, 12:15 PM
Well, they used to be the Mighty Ducks. I left it off because they eliminated that from their name.

Lott's Bandana
7/24/2008, 01:02 PM
Well, they used to be the Mighty Ducks. I left it off because they eliminated that from their name.

Their 'Mighty' moniker was sold to Seattle for use with SuperSonics, TBD.

LilSooner
7/24/2008, 05:04 PM
Jesus Christ I wish they would hurry up and pick a name!

Mixer!
7/24/2008, 06:39 PM
...Oklahoma City Jesus Christs? :O