PDA

View Full Version : Good Read

SoonerInLubbock
7/19/2008, 02:36 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8344302/Sooners-have-the-goods-to-win-BCS-title

If you have an extra couple minutes (and I assume you do, considering your reading this post). Take a few minutes to read this article.:pop:

"Best Defensive Player: Sophomore DT Gerald McCoy. Welcome to the new Tommie Harris. The ultra-quick McCoy was a tremendous anchor for the front line and allowed everyone else around him to work. The superstar recruit has lived up the hype so far, and now he appears ready to take a big turn and become the type of star who gets the NFL scouts drooling".

insuranceman_22
7/19/2008, 05:51 PM
Nice read - thx

PLaw
7/19/2008, 08:52 PM
The most telling and spot on summary of the past five years.

"More than anything else, the Sooners have to be hungry again. The earlier teams in the Bob Stoops era couldn't hang with the OU teams of the last few years on talent, but they brought an attitude and nastiness week in and week out that the current versions only seem able to find every once in a while."

Is it:

a) Bob has lost his hunger and edge and the team mirrors that persona.

b) Blake recruited kids that had character and toughness and Bob brought the leadership and toughness to mold a National Champion. Bob's recruits aren't as mentally tough as those that Blake brought into the program.

c) The revolving door with assitants takes it's toll and kids are constantly changing to the demands of their new coaches.

d) Too much focus on winning the conference and the sense the season's goals have been realized in December.

I think it lies somewhere be with (a) and (d). The other two are pretty much mindless. I had a former manager (and teammate of Mike's at Iowa) say "getting to No. 1 is easy, staying there is the tough part."

BOOMER

soonerspudman
7/19/2008, 11:36 PM

"More than anything else, the Sooners have to be hungry again. The earlier teams in the Bob Stoops era couldn't hang with the OU teams of the last few years on talent, but they brought an attitude and nastiness week in and week out that the current versions only seem able to find every once in a while."

Is it:

b) Blake recruited kids that had character and toughness and Bob brought the leadership and toughness to mold a National Champion. Bob's recruits aren't as mentally tough as those that Blake brought into the program.

c) The revolving door with assitants takes it's toll and kids are constantly changing to the demands of their new coaches.

d) Too much focus on winning the conference and the sense the season's goals have been realized in December.

I think it lies somewhere be with (a) and (d). The other two are pretty much mindless. I had a former manager (and teammate of Mike's at Iowa) say "getting to No. 1 is easy, staying there is the tough part."

BOOMER

No doubt in my mind it's D. Yea, I know, a BCS game is an honer and the Fiesta Bowl trophy is important, but I really think the players look at it as a meaningless exhibition game where opponents (Boise State, WV) get to take a shot at the country's elite program and bring their total wood. Yes, the coaches and players have an obligation to win the game, Bob's a smart guy, I'm betting he has this figured out and will find a way to get the team motivated (provided they get to the BCS.

SoonerinSouthlake
7/20/2008, 10:23 AM

Is it:

BOOMER

b...Im not sure Im ready to give Blake credit for intentionally recruiting a certian type of player. He saw guys who played good on Friday night...and did a nice job getting some of them.

d...I think he has been pretty transparent on the fact that winning the conference is the main goal, since getting into the MNC game is up to voters.

that said, Id bet he is as sick as anyone of getting blasted in January.