PDA

View Full Version : Which OU player will step up this year?

soonerfan28
7/19/2008, 08:31 AM
I guess what I mean is what player will have a bigger role then last year? I'm going to say that Adrian Taylor will one of our best DT's this year and push to start. I also could see Travis Lewis maybe making an impact. RJ Washington could also come in and get some snaps. On offense I hope Chaney can be that guy that steps up and has a good year and maybe Broyles.

swardboy
7/19/2008, 12:27 PM
I hope it's Bradford in the sense that he really takes over that offense. Stellar numbers last year aside, I felt that "deer in the headlights" look on his face too much. But hey, he was a freakin' freshman. Here's to no sophomore jinx, and a warrior leader on the field.....

Sooner_09
7/19/2008, 01:41 PM
Who I expect to step up: Nic Harris
Who I hope steps up: Dom Franks

JLEW1818
7/19/2008, 01:50 PM
Franks will. hehe

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 02:28 PM
I really hope its that One player who Plays that position

soonersn20xx
7/19/2008, 05:57 PM
Despite the numbers, Bradford's command of the offense was shaky at times.........having to get his defensive reads from the sideline as well. I am hoping that this offseason will have provided him the mental acumen to be a complete QB, if he has......feel sorry for our opponents.

soonerfan28
7/19/2008, 06:42 PM
I agree that Bradford needs to step up especially in away games. I was watching the Tulsa game the other night and that was his first "road" game and he just came out a little shaky and threw that interception. I think he will have a lot of help especially from the o-line this year and we have so many weapons on offense that its crazy. I think it's going to be scary to see what our offense can do if we can get the no huddle down. I think defensively is where we really need guys to step up and if Lewis is anywhere near as fast as he was in high school then he can be a monster at WLB.

JLEW1818
7/19/2008, 10:26 PM
Gots a year under his belt. Should have a lot more confidence. Chris Brown will have a huge part.

okcusooner
7/20/2008, 02:42 PM
Who I hope steps up: Phil Loadholt
Who I really hope steps up: The linebackers
Who MUST step up: Tress Way

bosworthsteroidmafia
7/20/2008, 02:54 PM
On offense, I am going to say Jermaine Gresham. Not that he didn't step up last year, but I think he will turn into a bona fide star this year. He's too fast for most linebackers and too big/physical for most safeties. He should be a TD machine.

On defense, Keenan Clayton. I expect big things from him, especially considering his well-documented playing time woes and fight for a starting spot. He brings a lot of speed to the LB position.

NormanPride
7/21/2008, 10:20 AM
I really hope Way has a huge leg for kickoffs. Field Goals are not a huge concern of mine, especially since last year's kicking was so hot and cold.

I think either Broyles or Bryant will be big time this year. It would also be nice to have a real dump-off threat out of the backfield like Clapp.

illinisooner
7/21/2008, 10:59 AM
One of the linebackers needs to step up and become a Lofton/Alexander type player. Hopefully it's Reynolds, but I could easily see Clayton doing that.

soonerfan28
7/21/2008, 11:03 AM
I think what is great is that we always seem to worry about the LB's, but we always have somebody step up and play good. I think it can be Lewis this year. I already feel like Reynolds is going to be the leader in the middle.

IronHorseSooner
7/21/2008, 11:19 AM
I think it can be Lewis this year.

My thoughts exactly. Without looking at the numbers, we could have the fastest set of LBs at this level.

Who is hope steps up: Quentin Cheney
Who will step up: Ryan Reynolds

VA Sooner
7/21/2008, 08:42 PM
I question Reynolds injury-prone nature... my money is on Clayton (playing with a vengeance) and Austin Box (Enid H.S. if I remember correctly).

Need monster LB's making plays to intimidate the middle... I think Harris and Franks have the edges/secondary wrapped up. Both lines are killers... as long as Granger doesn't need a coat.

setem
7/21/2008, 08:44 PM
It is going to be Jeremy Beal. I said he would be great last year and he did great when he was on the field. This year he is going to dominate EVERYONE!

goingoneight
7/21/2008, 09:12 PM
Trent Smith steps up and takes the mic while Bob Barry goes on a 14-game hotdog hunt. :D

Offense:
Who absolutely needs to: Quentin Chaney
Who likely will: DeMarco Murray
Who could surprise: Ryan Broyles
Who should because he might need to: Joey Halzle (just in case)

Defense:
Who absolutely needs to: Ryan Reynolds at MLB
Who likely will: Nic Harris
Who could surprise: Brian Jackson and/or Dominique Franks
Who should because he might need to: Cory Bennett (I'm not ruling out another Granger brain fart just yet).

Special Teams:
Who absolutely needs to step up: Anyone on kickoff coverage
Who likely will: Tress Way
Who could surprise: Ryan Broyles at KR and PR, Jimmy Stevens as a PK, or Tress Way serving as a punter (Stoops has already mentioned this).
Who might need to: David Sims and Juqain Iglesias if Murray goes down for the count.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:18 PM
I'd like to see a Season with no major injuries.

Seeing Sam out with a concussion had my stomach in butterflies the rest of the season.

So...maybe the training staff needs to be the one stepping it up.

Lets get our boys into shape.

soonerfan28
7/21/2008, 09:19 PM
Any chance they let Bryant try middle. He has nice speed, but does he have enough strength? I wouldn't mind seeing Balogun start in the middle. If he's really 250 with 4.6 speed then that could be sweet.

MojoRisen
7/24/2008, 10:40 AM
Josh Jarboe got some props from M Johnson. Said he looked really good and Owens looked pretty good.

shaun4411
7/24/2008, 10:42 AM
definitely franks. if he performs up to his potential, man oh man, things will be good.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
7/25/2008, 02:57 PM
On offense, providing he stays healthy, I say Murray, with the O-line we have he might just be in the running for the Heisman by years end. And on D, I am very excited to see Lewis play, he was 215-220 out of HS and now he's listed at 232, and if he hasn't lost any speed (4.36 at the reebok combine in Houston) he could be a monster on the field, he might just be the fastest LB in the nation. I think its safe to say that if he has to drop into coverage and cover a TE he will be more than capable, but time will tell............

BOOMER

JLEW1818
7/25/2008, 03:04 PM
I think we have a chance to be a lot like the 2003 team skill wise.

soonerfan28
7/25/2008, 03:23 PM
On offense, providing he stays healthy, I say Murray, with the O-line we have he might just be in the running for the Heisman by years end. And on D, I am very excited to see Lewis play, he was 215-220 out of HS and now he's listed at 232, and if he hasn't lost any speed (4.36 at the reebok combine in Houston) he could be a monster on the field, he might just be the fastest LB in the nation. I think its safe to say that if he has to drop into coverage and cover a TE he will be more than capable, but time will tell............

BOOMER
That is the guy I can't wait to see on the field. He's got Teddy Lehman speed if not better and could be a monster. I like Box, but I hope that he gets beat out by Lewis.

jrfootballou
7/25/2008, 04:33 PM
Stoops has got a few tricks up his sleeves folks, be ready