PDA

View Full Version : A heartbreaking NPR story about a family on food-stamps

Jerk
7/18/2008, 09:28 PM
A generation ago, the livelihood of Gloria Nunez's family was built on cars.

Her father worked at General Motors for 45 years before retiring. Her mother taught driver's education. Nunez and her six siblings grew up middle class.

Things have changed considerably for this Ohio family.

Nunez's van broke down last fall. Now, her 19-year-old daughter has no reliable transportation out of their subsidized housing complex in Fostoria, 40 miles south of Toledo, to look for a job.

Nunez and most of her siblings and their spouses are unemployed and rely on government assistance and food stamps. Some have part-time jobs, but working is made more difficult with no car or public transportation.

Low-income families in Ohio say they are particularly hard-hit by the changes in the economy, according to a new poll conducted by NPR, The Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard School of Public Health. Two-thirds of lower-income respondents, or 66 percent, say paying for gas is a serious problem because of recent changes in the economy. Nearly half of low-income Ohioans, or 47 percent, say that getting a well-paying job or a raise in pay is also major problem.

'I Just Can't Get A Job'

Nunez, 40, has never worked and has no high school degree. She says a car accident 17 years ago left her depressed and disabled, incapable of getting a job. Instead, she and her daughter, Angelica Hernandez, survive on a $637 Social Security check and $102 in food stamps.

Hernandez received her high school diploma and has had several jobs in recent years. But now, because fewer restaurants and stores are hiring, she says she finds it hard to find a job. Even if she could, she says it's particularly hard to imagine how she'll keep it. She says she needs someone to give her a lift just to get to an interview. And with gas prices so high, she's not sure she could afford to pay someone to drive her to work every day.

People tell Nunez her daughter could get more money in public assistance if she had a child.

"A lot of people have told me, 'Why don't your daughter have a kid?'"

They both reject that as a plan.

"I'm trying to get a job," Hernandez says. "I just can't get a job."

Hernandez says she's trying to get training to be a nurse's assistant, but without her own set of wheels or enough money to pay others for gas, it hasn't been easy.

'What's Going To Happen To Us?'

Most of their extended family lives in the same townhouse complex. The only employer within walking distance is a ThyssenKrupp factory that makes diesel engine parts. That facility, which employs 400 people, is shutting down and moving to Illinois next year.

The only one with a car is Irma Hernandez, Nunez's mother. Hernandez says that with a teenage son still at home, the cost of feeding him and sending him to school is rising, and she can no longer pay for the car.

She's now two car payments behind.

"I'm about to lose my car," she says on her way to pick up one of her daughters to take her to Toledo. "So then what's going to happen to us?"

So Nunez and her daughter are mostly stuck at home.

The rising cost of food means their money gets them about a third fewer bags of groceries — $100 used to buy about 12 bags of groceries, but now it's more like seven or eight. So they cut back on expensive items like meat, and they don't buy extras like ice cream anymore. Instead, they eat a lot of starches like potatoes and noodles.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92592545

http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2008/july/ohio/nunez540.jpg

Blue
7/18/2008, 10:15 PM
Is this supposed to be funny? Cause it kinda is. Looks like they're not hurting too bad.

I wonder why she can't get a job? Maybe she eats the fries as she takes it to the counter?

MR2-Sooner86
7/18/2008, 10:48 PM
"I'm about to lose my car," she says on her way to pick up one of her daughters to take her to Toledo. "So then what's going to happen to us?"

You walk off some of that damn weight you ****ing fat ***.

Oh...truely a heartbreaking story :(

Blue
7/18/2008, 10:58 PM
People tell Nunez her daughter could get more money in public assistance if she had a child.

Thank you welfare. Probably lives in temporary housing she moved into 30 years ago.

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 12:08 AM
WAZZUP LADIES !

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1103/110329/300_110329.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
7/19/2008, 01:50 AM
But now, because fewer restaurants and stores are hiring, she says she finds it hard to find a job. Have you tried the local Hooters?

tommieharris91
7/19/2008, 02:14 AM
Have you tried the local Hooters?

I don't think they would hire her...

Nunez, 40, has never worked and has no high school degree. She says a car accident 17 years ago left her depressed and disabled, incapable of getting a job. Instead, she and her daughter, Angelica Hernandez, survive on a $637 Social Security check and $102 in food stamps.

Did this **** off anyone else here? I'm glad my taxes go to support these people. :mad:

Flagstaffsooner
7/19/2008, 03:45 AM
I don't think they would hire her...

Did this **** off anyone else here? I'm glad my taxes go to support these people. :mad:
Spek

Okla-homey
7/19/2008, 05:38 AM
They needn't worry. The Obamamessiah will create CHANGE and get them back to their accustomed twelve bags of groceries lickety-split when he's elected. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
7/19/2008, 05:51 AM
http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2008/july/ohio/nunez540.jpg

Truly sad story, but you know, if you really wanted to, I bet you could find a job.

Okay, I'm obese by definition - for me too much travel and not enough exercise, these people have to be watching a lot of TV and not doing stuff be at this weight. You don't get this way by not eating and trying to do stuff like find a jorb!!!

Flagstaffsooner
7/19/2008, 06:10 AM
Truly sad story, but you know, if you really wanted to, I bet you could find a job.

Okay, I'm obese by definition - for me too much travel and not enough exercise, these people have to be watching a lot of TV and not doing stuff be at this weight. You don't get this way by not eating and trying to do stuff like find a jorb!!!Methinks Springer and ut football tapes.

7/19/2008, 07:48 AM
There is nothing sad about this story.

47straight
7/19/2008, 09:12 AM
Ok, so I don't have any animosity towards these peeps. They don't know better, or whatever.

I think the bigger point that noone has mentioned is what NPR was thinking when it ran the story in the first place. It also makes you wonder how much NPR covers up by being primarily radio. Good grief. Talk down the economy, get your man elected. Shameful.

Harry Beanbag
7/19/2008, 09:44 AM
There is nothing sad about this story.

Nope, but it is pathetic.

r5TPsooner
7/19/2008, 10:28 AM
Wow, there boobies and tummies are as one with there bodies.

Ick.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 10:35 AM
She aint gonna have No baby cause aint NO ONE hard up enough to Knock her up

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 10:37 AM
It would take a beer bong to get the baby batter in there.

Turd_Ferguson
7/19/2008, 10:38 AM
She aint gonna have No baby cause aint NO ONE hard up enough to Knock her upYou know there's some sick bastard that will....'scuse me while I go poke out my mind's eye.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 10:44 AM
It would take a beer bong to get the baby batter in there.

what wrinkle would you put it in ?
As Fat as that bitch is if Ya rolled her in flower to find the wet spot, all that sweat and stuff would just turn it to Dough :eek:

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 10:45 AM
You know there's some sick bastard that will....'scuse me while I go poke out my mind's eye.

I think a Poke just might go for it.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 10:47 AM
I think a Poke just might go for it.

Ya saying she has a shot at gettin T Booned ?

badger
7/19/2008, 10:50 AM
I just wonder why they think their situation is somebody else's fault.

I can sympathize with not being able to get your foot in the door, but everyone's costs are going up. I can sympathize with there being no employers close by, but Ohio is in a failure state of mind right now with many businesses and quality jobs abandoning the state. It is a main talking point in campaigns that hope to win the highly faught battle ground state.

The thing that must happen is not throwing more money at these people, and I can appreciate that they want to find work and not find child support payments via the government by having a kid.

They must move. Find a place that has more work readily available within walking or mass transportation distance. Their way of life in Ohio is dying around them and there's nothing they can do about it by talking to the National Public Radio.

They must move to an area like Cleveland or Cinci, or a suburb of either. Find a support system and work there where there's a demand for minimum wage part time workers. Your little south-Toleda town is not going to change in your lifetime with the way Ohio's headed.

I know how hard it is to lose weight, so I'm not going to question their appearance. My guess is that with their depressing situation, they've found a way to cope with it through their 12 (now 7-8) bags of groceries via food stamps. With a little confidence boost, like a new job and a new hometown, they'll work it off.

Take care of yourselves by moving. You've done as much as you've can where you are.

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 10:53 AM
If you want something bad enough...

You'll figure a way to get it.

Turd_Ferguson
7/19/2008, 10:54 AM

You'll figure a way to get it.Agree. I just stoled my neighbor's weedeater.

Scott D
7/19/2008, 11:09 AM
Cleveland isn't exactly bustling with employment opportunities.

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 11:11 AM
If you don't have a job...

What do you need a car for?

Scott D
7/19/2008, 11:12 AM
to get a job..sheesh ;)

SoonerBorn68
7/19/2008, 11:16 AM
Don't worry ladies, help is on its way. Comrad Obama will take from all of us who work to make sure you're taken care of. I'll make sure I get up and go to work every day to make sure you don't have to.

yermom
7/19/2008, 12:00 PM
I just wonder why they think their situation is somebody else's fault.

I can sympathize with not being able to get your foot in the door, but everyone's costs are going up. I can sympathize with there being no employers close by, but Ohio is in a failure state of mind right now with many businesses and quality jobs abandoning the state. It is a main talking point in campaigns that hope to win the highly faught battle ground state.

The thing that must happen is not throwing more money at these people, and I can appreciate that they want to find work and not find child support payments via the government by having a kid.

They must move. Find a place that has more work readily available within walking or mass transportation distance. Their way of life in Ohio is dying around them and there's nothing they can do about it by talking to the National Public Radio.

They must move to an area like Cleveland or Cinci, or a suburb of either. Find a support system and work there where there's a demand for minimum wage part time workers. Your little south-Toleda town is not going to change in your lifetime with the way Ohio's headed.

I know how hard it is to lose weight, so I'm not going to question their appearance. My guess is that with their depressing situation, they've found a way to cope with it through their 12 (now 7-8) bags of groceries via food stamps. With a little confidence boost, like a new job and a new hometown, they'll work it off.

Take care of yourselves by moving. You've done as much as you've can where you are.

are they going to walk to another town?

yermom
7/19/2008, 12:04 PM

You'll figure a way to get it.

this is pretty much it.

it's easy to pick something and say "i can't do X because of Y"

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 12:08 PM
Maybe if someone sees how hard I'm pleeding to be led to water they'll send me some free sports drinks.

Waa Waa Waa...

Sickening....

badger
7/19/2008, 02:06 PM

They said they have transportation every so often. It seems they could use their one-time transportation to move to a better situation in a new town (even if that means moving outside Ohio)

Like I said, it seems like they're saying that their situation is someone else's fault. Sometimes, situations are nobody's fault, but the question is whether it is one's own responsibility to get themselves out of said situation, or if they believe it is someone else's responsibility to help them out.

I say, if you're expecting others to bail you out each time you are caught in a bad situation, then you're destined for a bad situation the rest of your life.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 02:13 PM

Maybe they should , Then they wouldnt be such fatasses

walkoffsooner
7/19/2008, 02:17 PM
Get them hooked on Meth. That will thin them up and there job will be getting some more.

batonrougesooner
7/19/2008, 02:20 PM
they could sell blowjobs for $10 a piece until they have enough money for a bus ticket.

Got to think like a businesswoman.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 02:21 PM
they could sell blowjobs for $10 a piece until they have enough money for a bus ticket.

Got to think like a businesswoman.

youd Pay 10 Bucks fer that ? :eek:

Harry Beanbag
7/19/2008, 02:23 PM
Nunez, 40, has never worked and has no high school degree.

No excuse at all. On the bright side though, we only have to pay for her to live for another 40 years or so.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 02:25 PM
No excuse at all. On the bright side though, we only have to pay for her to live for another 40 years or so.

Naw as Fat as she is she will be dead from a HA soon .

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/19/2008, 02:29 PM
The Messiah will provide the change necessary for them to have hope for the future, if they can somehow hang in there til next january.

Sooner24
7/19/2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.biggestloserclub.com/3booklanding.asp?cm_mmc=N-_-Textlink-_-Static_JoinNow_Homepage-_-N10133&keycode=N10133&fml=1

Harry Beanbag
7/19/2008, 02:34 PM
Naw as Fat as she is she will be dead from a HA soon .

Nope. Universal Healthcare will take care of that. :)

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 02:35 PM
Nope. Universal Healthcare will take care of that. :)

Well Hell

Flagstaffsooner
7/19/2008, 03:02 PM
Nope. Universal Healthcare will take care of that. :)I'm afraid those blobs will move to AZ and get ACCHS... or whatever it is called.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 03:05 PM
I'm afraid those blobs will move to AZ and get ACCHS... or whatever it is called.

Right Next door to you , so you can give em a ride :D

Flagstaffsooner
7/19/2008, 03:12 PM
Right Next door to you , so you can give em a ride :DI have a Ranger, wont take that big of load.:O

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 03:14 PM
I have a Ranger, wont take that big of load.:O

well you need to get a Bigger truck so you can them that are less fortunate

Flagstaffsooner
7/19/2008, 03:20 PM
well you need to get a Bigger truck so you can them that are less fortunateLike the Wister Shuttle?http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/GeeVor/Afghanistan_12.jpg

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 03:27 PM
Heres Ya a couple to Help you stay Warm in those Cold Flagstaff winters
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj14/Nivens989/FatChicks.jpg

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 03:32 PM
Those girls need a dog to keep them in good spirits...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3120904/8867007

CrimsonandCreamForever
7/19/2008, 03:34 PM
The thing that kills me is that there are tons of jobs out there that no one wants to do. I manage a fast food joint right now while I'm finishing up school. We're always looking for people, and, more often than not, we're short-handed. Now, it takes no skill or brains whatsoever to work in my place, but why come work for me when you can make almost as much sitting on your *** at home?

And everyone wonders why we're having the border problems. The illegals don't care about doing crappy jobs, and they can't get on welfare, so they do what our welfare people don't want to do. I don't feel bad for these ladies at all.

BigRedJed
7/19/2008, 03:48 PM
I agree with the near-universal disgust in this thread over the welfare state that America has become. Of course, I'll add my twist to the story that nobody, liberals or conservatives will care to hear.

While I despise institutionalized entitlements, if we are going to subsidize housing, we should ONLY subsidize housing where people can walk to work or the store or easily use public transit. An automobile is possibly the single biggest (and most wasteful) drain to the budget of someone on a limited income, yet if you (or circumstances) take away the auto of someone living somewhere where they need one for just about any circumstance, you have effectively sealed their fate as a welfare recipient. I agree as stated here; they need to move. But they won't unless they are focred to. Subsidized housing should be highly conditional, if it exists at all.

Next: welfare and foodstamps should only be made available to people who have high school diplomas or who are working on getting their high school diploma or equivalency.

And finally, I will give the people in this story props for one thing:

They both reject that as a plan.

"I'm trying to get a job," Hernandez says...
That's actually pretty unusual thinking in the entitlement community. If we're going to offer welfare to people, we need to stop rewarding them for turning out more lifetime welfare recipients. It's sick.

Unfortunately, those types of changes are extremely difficult to bring about, because there are politicians for whom these people are their primary constituency, and who would lose said constituency if welfare recipients were actually incentivized/prodded into changing their situations.

badger
7/19/2008, 04:36 PM
I'm afraid those blobs will move to AZ and get ACCHS... or whatever it is called.

Oklahoma used to have a way with dealing with annoyances to the state.

Apparently, in 19XX-something, Oklahoma leaders said that criminals could be released from prison if they signed an agreement to never again set foot in Oklahoma. Many took the opportunities to leave Oklahoma and never come back, much to the chagrin of surrounding states.

That probably wouldn't work today, but if the federal government doesn't take care of problems, what do you expect states to do? :D

r5TPsooner
7/19/2008, 04:38 PM
Heres Ya a couple to Help you stay Warm in those Cold Flagstaff winters
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj14/Nivens989/FatChicks.jpg

Is that what you want for your birthday? That's a whole lotta womans even for you vet.:D

batonrougesooner
7/19/2008, 04:46 PM
youd Pay 10 Bucks fer that ? :eek:

I wouldn't but I promise you there are those who would. Some probably live in her neighborhood. Or Stillwater.

NYC Poke
7/19/2008, 05:46 PM
Those must be some really big grocery bags . . .

tommieharris91
7/19/2008, 07:07 PM
This thread became really worthless.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 07:13 PM
Is that what you want for your birthday? That's a whole lotta womans even for you vet.:D

I was thinking about going Camping I could use thier drawers fer a tent :eek:

tommieharris91
7/19/2008, 07:15 PM
I was thinking about going Camping I could use thier drawers fer a tent :eek:

Only if you don't mind the smell.

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 07:24 PM
Only if you don't mind the smell.

EWWWW I forgot about that :O

tulsaoilerfan
7/19/2008, 09:08 PM
Damn i was thinking of sending them the stale doritos from my route until i saw their picture.:D

olevetonahill
7/19/2008, 10:58 PM
Damn i was thinking of sending them the stale doritos from my route until i saw their picture.:D

Ya threy dont need any more Fat content :D