PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I must be going...

TUSooner
7/18/2008, 08:22 PM
I've kinda been a stranger round these parts lately. No grudges or anything, just been enjoying being busy with summertime stuff. I try to check in on the Homester's history threads but that's about it. Speaking of Homey... I expect to hear soon that he has copped the Highest Score Evar on the Okie lawyer test. No doubt.

Sunday, I head off to Viking land - Denmark - for a soccer ubertrip. Be back around 05 AUG.
While I'm gone, go over to the General Sports forum and sign up for the English Premier Fantasy league.

I should have access to the www, so I'll try to check in now & then. Most of the girls are 16, which happens to be the legal drinking age over there, so there could be something to report! But nothing bad, I trust.

I'll do my best to represent the Sooner Nation well on t'other side of the pond.

Y'all carry on in a great way.

TU

Jerk
7/18/2008, 08:23 PM
Who in the **** are you?

TUSooner
7/18/2008, 08:25 PM
Who in the **** are you?

International Man of Mystery, and let's keep it that way.

StoopTroup
7/19/2008, 12:22 AM
How many Folks on this board are going to Europe?

I need to see the Pope about moving The Vatican to Oklahoma...

There is going to be an eighth miracle pretty soon.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/2001/01/01/001314470.jpg

Soonerus
7/19/2008, 12:25 AM
Homey gat banned...

SoonerStormchaser
7/19/2008, 04:57 AM
http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/Gen/customerimages/products/800065.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
7/19/2008, 05:00 AM
Drop by Tule, you'll love it.

Miko
7/19/2008, 10:34 AM
Have a safe one, TU & come back soon!

Miko
7/19/2008, 10:35 AM
p.s. great thread title!!!

Scott D
7/19/2008, 10:51 AM
good show TU, I was gonna send you a PM to see if you were gonna set another one up.

Viking Kitten
7/19/2008, 10:59 AM
Mmmm. Trip to Denmark, trip to Sweden, two threads about ABBA, and Favre talking to the Minnesota Vikings. Yes. I see our plans for resurgence are coming to fruition. Mwa ha ha ha.

Prepare for the plundering of your life, South Ovaries.

Ike
7/19/2008, 12:21 PM
Nice...I'll be making my my way across the pond in a few weeks. First to Prague then to Geneva.

Unfortunately, it's for work, not vacationy type stuff.

TUSooner
8/8/2008, 02:02 PM
I suppose I ought to inflict a travelogue post on you; it just seems like the thing to do. I'll make it as short as I can.

We - a soccer team and 7 chaperones - went to Denmark and stayed at a recreation center in a little town called Skaerbaek. It's evidently popular with Germans, but it's not posh at all. Huge indoor pool, bowling alley, gym. bike rentals. "Nordic" y'know?
We saw some very old churches and other buildings, thatched-roof ouses, and some beautiful country side.
We took a day trip to Copenhagen where 3 girls (including my daughter) managed to find a spare half hour to get their noses pierced. Nothing major. The "couple of beers after the games" for the girls threatened to escalate to Scandinavian Spring Break once they discovered they could buy all kinds of booze at the local grocery store. But the coaches reined that in, so everything stayed civilized and reasonably safe - but still fun enough.

The food: lots of great breads. plus butter cheese meat potatoes and gravy mostly. Good eats, and not too starange. The hot dog lives in Denmark, and the Danish dogs are pretty good, especially the kind with toasted onions crumbled all over the top ("ristet hotdog").

We went swimming the the North Sea, which was very cold. A few people, Some Danes and some German tourists, just stripped down to nothing and changed into their bathing suits right there on the beach. One day we took a ferry to the German island of Sylt, the so-called German Riviera. My daughter almost got left behind when her companions walked out of a bookstore without her. That part of the trip was not the best, because we had to run from the pubic bus to the ferry amd just barely made it.

We visited the oldest city in Denmark, Ribe. In another little town, I took Communion in a Danish Lutheran church that was about 800 years old.

People ride bikes a lot in Denamrk. Old people young people, just about everybody. Most streets and minor highways have bike paths alongside.

For the last 4 days we were at a soccer tournament in a slightly bigger town. That part f the trip was not as pleasant and relaxing as the first 10 days. That's partly because I caught the "team cold" around Day 8 and I'm still shaking ot off. BLeccchhh. But it was still fun. We took the bronze medal in a competitive division. The only other American team there were some 16yo boys from Iowa. They won silver in their group. We played only Danish teams, but they had other teams from as far away as Iceland, Czech Rep., Poland, and Italy, in addition to Germany and the Scandinavians

Our travel agent sucked. She was friendly, but incompetent, unresponsivem, and in the end, irresponsible. She failed to properly book and confirm our reservations, which caused many unnecessary hassles in airports as half the group had to recheck in at every leg of the flight. That's not fun when you are traveling with 20-some people, including 15 teenage girls. I sent the agent a scathing email, concluding that we got no benefit from her services and could have don a better job of booking the whole thing ourselves without relying on her. I may have to eat it if it turns out I was wrong about the causes of our troubles. I dont think I was wrong, but still....

Anyway. I gave up my seat on the Copenhagen - Washington DC flight. I got to stay in a nice Copenhagen hotel, got a nice dinner and an awesome breakfast courtesy of SAS. Best of all - I got to fly first class the next day. It's actualy called "business class" on SAS, but it's first class in fact, and it's the only way to cross the Atlantic. You start by sitting down with a glass of bubbly in a big comfortable, adjustable seat, and it just gets better after that. I almost didn't want to get off the plane in DC. Plus I got a vouvher worth 1200 Euros woirth of flight, or 600 Euros in cash.

No first class from DC to NO La. But I got home. The end.

By the way, "Hello, I Must Be Going" is the title of a song Groucho Marx sang in "Animal Crackers" (1930). I think it's also the name of a biography of Groucho.

StoopTroup
8/8/2008, 07:31 PM
Sounds like you had a successful trip for the most part.

Things rarely go perfect on long trips anyway.

Congrats on the Medals.