PDA

View Full Version : VH1 rock honors The Who

def_lazer_fc
7/17/2008, 10:13 PM
a lot of bands doing bad covers.

one thought: they are honoring the Who but the foo fighters open with young man blues which isn't even a who song.

second thought: do i really need to hear the singer from fall out boy talk about the who? yeah, you heard baba oreilly on the opening credits to CSI or something.

third thought: incubus?! really?! really???!!! :mad:

sooneron
7/18/2008, 09:18 AM
I pretty much agree. The Who did make Young Man Blues big, tho.

I thought Wayne and the boys did a good job. The lead singer from Supergrass rendition of Bargain was spot on good. PJ did well as expected.

The sad thing is that I really think it's time The Who hang it up. Roger barely has a voice anymore and hasn't for a while now.
Is it me, or did the sound not sound as good as I would have thought? I know it's recorded live, but their mix didn't seem all that great.
My only guess is that Incubus must have really good management.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/18/2008, 09:19 AM
I thought Pearl Jam did a good job

sooneron
7/18/2008, 09:26 AM

I think it's pretty much a given that they will bring it every time out.

Okla-homey
7/18/2008, 09:32 AM

My Blonde Daughter called last night to inform me one of her sorority sisters' dad was playing the piano for that performance. That's how you know you're old BTW.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/18/2008, 09:41 AM
I had a friend watching the whole special and I told him to text me when PJ was going to play....I watched them perform then I was tuned back out.....the band lineup kinda scared me a bit to sit through it....

wow a college age girl's dad playing with PJ....They have been around for a while...They would have been much cooler if they stuck to the original band name....at least they titled an album after him

sooneron
7/18/2008, 09:43 AM
I think the line up was fine, minus Incubus and Jack Black kept it pretty low key (for him). At least they go bands that seem like they were inspired or influenced by Teh Who.
Face it, you're just really old.

;)

soonerinabilene
7/18/2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, after Make Yourself Incubus really started to suck. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was killer though.

BigRedJed
7/18/2008, 11:22 AM
Incubus has no soul. It shows when you're covering Who tunes.

PJ was the highlight of that show. Absolutely blistering. It's been a long time since I gave a **** about them, and that practically gave me goosebumps.

The lead singer from Supergrass was totally overpowered by Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl's voice was blown. Taylor Hawkins (FF's drummer) can do a pretty convincing Daltrey.

Tenacious D was fun, and a nice little respite. I had no problem with them. Really enjoyed Adam Sandler's bit too.

Too cool that the Lips made it onto the bill; they are probably the biggest Who fans of that entire bunch (with the possible exception of Vedder). They invoke the Who all of the time when describing what they've tried to be as a band. The Lips' manager, Scott Booker, is borderline obsessed with Townshend, and they've (the Lips, Booker and the Who) actually been working together a lot over the past couple of years, including working on a Tommy-like Broadway musical based on Lips tunes. Michael Ivins' famous skeleton suit is a tribute to John Entwistle, who wore a similar one. Their set was cool, though I'll agree that mixes seemed to be a bit off all night and it was especially evident on Steven's guitar parts.

Last but not least:

Hearing sooneron say that the Who should hang it up makes me want to engage in fisticuffs. I hope those two play until they simultaneously drop dead on stage at 95 years old. Watch the Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who documentary that has been showing on MHD leading up to this Rock Honors thing. It gave me a completely new appreciation for the relationship between Daltrey and Townshend. They are perhaps the happiest they have ever been with each other as musical partners, and I think Townshend is enjoying touring in a way he hadn't since before Moon died.

I know it was written as a bookend to the Endless Wire opera, but that song they performed at the end, Tea and Theatre, is an obvious love song from Pete to the band, and especially Daltrey, IMO. I hope those guys play forever, rough voices be damned. They built their entire career of "**** you, we do what we want." Why should they stop now?

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 11:32 AM
yeah, Young Man Blues a Mose Allison tune (as Petey tells us on Live at Leeds, Jimmy Page is never going to say...this is Willie Dixon song..). but the opening riff that Townshend plays is smoking hard.

BigRedJed
7/18/2008, 11:35 AM
:les: FISTICUFFS, I SAY!!!

StoopTroup
7/18/2008, 12:06 PM
Nobody can do The Who like The Who...

They deserve to respect.

Animal Mother
7/18/2008, 12:20 PM
LONG LIVE ROCK!!
I NEED IT EVERY NIGHT!!!

Seen THE WHO six times, even with Moon. Sat so close back in the day that I could see the blood dripping from Townshend’s hand from all the bowling riffs. When I saw them in 1976 in OKC, that was the loudest, most insane crowd ever !!!

Pete: “Mose Allison was a jazz sage.”
Keith: “Sage. Isn’t that a kind of chicken?”

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 12:47 PM
awwright, that's enough. i'm plugging in the other hard drive and listen to Who Sells Out and Live at Leeds.

and part of me doesn't trust VH1, at all.

bluedogok
7/18/2008, 08:52 PM
I thought it was pretty good, better when played through the home theater rather than the TV speakers. I saw from the Lips until about 12:30 last night on MHD, recorded it today to see the rest. If they come somewhere close, I will try to go see them.

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:11 PM
:les: FISTICUFFS, I SAY!!!

Bring it!! Beyothch!!!

I just think it's time. I want to remember them as being the howling mad badasses they were. I also want to go one more in the side of blasphemy, I think there are some really solid songs on Face Dances. I bought it on vinyl the day it came out.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 07:20 PM
VRblHKs-PEY

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 07:25 PM
Bring it!! Beyothch!!!

I just think it's time. I want to remember them as being the howling mad badasses they were. I also want to go one more in the side of blasphemy, I think there are some really solid songs on Face Dances. I bought it on vinyl the day it came out.

what's on face dances other than face dances?

i bought this about the same time at Record Bar in the mall.

2R8m0GcIGRA&feature=related

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:28 PM
hKUBTX9kKEo&feature=related

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 07:29 PM
the who at monterey pop:

"this is a group that will destroy you completely". hell yeah.

x9UWKbP6qEA

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:29 PM
URFbwUkBrjA

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:33 PM
I was surprised (and yet not) that no one covered substitute. Great tune that shows how much they progressed.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 07:39 PM
t5euZ3YWLXQ&feature=related

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 07:40 PM
this is, of course, the famous one from M pop:

i0XknwXqLDo&feature=related

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:40 PM
LOL!!!

Dpu9VsdroVw

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:41 PM
I would rank The Who above Led.

[ducks]

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 07:53 PM
I would rank The Who above Led.

[ducks]

i don't think it's an impossible thought. one night in 1994, when i was honestly experiencing a really bad girl breakup and "coulda" got married type bullsh*t. but i was feeling pretty low...and Daltrey is on Letterman and watching it...he says: "there is no doubt in my mind that the WHo are the greatest rock band ever".

more and more, i'm inclined to almost agree.

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:55 PM
Me too. It's tough, the boys from 'pool or The Clash

BigRedJed
7/19/2008, 08:17 PM
The Who didn't drink iced tea out of whiskey bottles onstage.

BigRedJed
7/19/2008, 08:17 PM
Don't get me wrong; loves me some Clash. But The Who would whip all of their asses.

Literally.

def_lazer_fc
7/20/2008, 04:00 AM

never been a fan of pearl jam really, but dude's got some pipes which just kills for the song they chose. prob the best of the night imo.

def_lazer_fc
7/20/2008, 04:07 AM
the who doing a quick one at rock n roll circus is just killer. this may be untrue, but i heard that the stones decided not to air their segment as the who blew em out of the water. anybody able to shine light on this?

tulsaoilerfan
7/20/2008, 11:48 AM
I have read that Daltrey and Townshend can't stand each other and want totally separate accomodations all the time; so much for them liking each other as was posted earlier in this thread

BigRedJed
7/20/2008, 12:23 PM
Meh.