PDA

View Full Version : You Might Be A Redneck If The Movers Write "Nick Nacks" On Over 50% Of Your Boxes

VeeJay
7/17/2008, 08:48 PM
We got nick nacks, bric-a-brac, notions, trinkets, and more uncategorized junk than a cop's got Dunkin Donuts.

One box yielded 27 rolls of Christmas wrapping paper, a pile of kitchen dishrags and pot holders (how many would one family of three need?) and several mismatched sets of curtain rods. I am the only coffee drinker in my household yet we have around 45 coffee mugs. If I tried to discard one mug I'd get the third degree and a lecture on the sentimental value behind the cheap cup made in China, straight out of a two-bit carnivalesque souvenir shop on the outskirts of a theme park.

The rest of the garage is choking with tall boxes, short boxes, partially opened boxes and caved in boxes with similar heirlooms and valuables.

Has anyone had any experience disappearing and assuming another identity? I knew of a guy who did it once and was spotted ringside 10 years later at a heavyweight boxing match.

Soonrboy
7/17/2008, 08:52 PM
Sounds like my garage. We bought a house with a 3 car garage, and still so much crap from my teaching days and my wife's teaching career, that both of our cars sit in the driveway.

SoonerJack
7/18/2008, 07:53 AM
You both should try putting all of your boxes in the driveway and your cars in the garage.

"Honey, come see what I've done with the place!"

r5TPsooner
7/18/2008, 07:59 AM
I just told them to write crap on the boxes with stuff like that.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 08:28 AM
isn't it spelled "knick-knacks"? or no?

my grandmother collects miniature ceramic chickens/roosters. she's got probably 100 of various sizes, "makes", etc.

Cam
7/18/2008, 08:37 AM
Our last movers were kind enough to label the boxes with the location the stuff was in, not what was in them. The movers before that asked me what to name some of the stuff and I told them to right "junk" on the box. Wife didn't like that too much, but we ended up throwing out 3/4ths of the stuff in those boxes.

Okla-homey
7/18/2008, 09:34 AM
The key, and this is based on over 10 interstate moves in our lives, is have a garage sale a month before the movers come to pack you out.

That, and be ruthless. If you haven't worn it, used it, or touched it in a year, it needs to go.