PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen Movie

Sooner_Havok
7/17/2008, 08:27 PM
I am really, really, really hoping this doesn't suck. The trailer looks pretty good, but that doesn't mean crap.

Watchmen Trailer (http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/17/must-watch-zack-snyders-watchmen-trailer-absolutely-stunning/)

Harry Beanbag
7/17/2008, 08:34 PM
Another comic book movie. Jeez.

Sooner_Havok
7/17/2008, 08:37 PM
Another comic book movie. Sweet action!.

I know, I feel the same way :D

KC//CRIMSON
7/17/2008, 08:41 PM
In.

Way In.

Sooner_Havok
7/17/2008, 08:44 PM
In.

Way In.

You know I just read the comic for the first time maybe a month or so ago. I can't believe I hadn't read it sooner, it was pretty freakin' sweet.

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 09:00 PM
Are those the twin towers at :35??

I liked the music.

reevie
7/17/2008, 09:40 PM

of only the greatest comic ever

Frozen Sooner
7/17/2008, 09:45 PM
Doctor Manhattan doesn't look cheesy. This is good.

reevie
7/17/2008, 09:47 PM
The trailer does look good. What I'm curious about is do the non-comic book fans find the trailer interesting or should they have told a bit about the story to get the hook in?

reevie
7/17/2008, 09:49 PM
Doctor Manhattan doesn't look cheesy. This is good.

Nor does he look like the whiney emotional guy I remembered

SoonerAtKU
7/18/2008, 06:46 AM
Excitement. Snyder and some of the writers behind the 2 good X-Men movies. Great source material, and a budget worthy of the project.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 07:00 AM
to me, this is the kind of film the "300"/Beowulf technology could REALLY be fantastic rather than sword fights and Angie J0lie dipped in gold with a tail. sword fights, at the end of the day, are pretty low tech affairs.

i hope they haven't decided that Rorshach isn't as "sexy" as Dr. Manhattan as a de facto narrative presence. can't read much into the trailer minus a few memorable scenes from the graphic novel--the comedian in Nam, etc. Dr. M seems a little foregrounded to me. it's all about Rorshach, really. he kind of drives the thing.

Harry Beanbag
7/18/2008, 07:37 AM
The trailer does look good. What I'm curious about is do the non-comic book fans find the trailer interesting or should they have told a bit about the story to get the hook in?

I don't know. Although I didn't find the trailer interesting at all, I'm not sure knowing what was going on would really make me care either.

Cam
7/18/2008, 08:47 AM

I've never heard of Watchmen, but thought the trailer looked interesting. I'll see it on-demand.

sooneron
7/18/2008, 09:36 AM
to me, this is the kind of film the "300"/Beowulf technology could REALLY be fantastic rather than sword fights and Angie J0lie dipped in gold with a tail. sword fights, at the end of the day, are pretty low tech affairs.

i hope they haven't decided that Rorshach isn't as "sexy" as Dr. Manhattan as a de facto narrative presence. can't read much into the trailer minus a few memorable scenes from the graphic novel--the comedian in Nam, etc. Dr. M seems a little foregrounded to me. it's all about Rorshach, really. he kind of drives the thing.

So you're saying that you are familiar with it.:D

and in

Sooner_Havok
7/18/2008, 02:43 PM
Are those the twin towers at :35??

I liked the music.

Yeah, the movie is set in 1985

Sooner_Havok
7/18/2008, 02:47 PM
I also heard that there will be no "Tales of the Black freighter" in the movie, but when Watchmen is released to DVD they will have a Tales anime style side release.

reevie
7/18/2008, 03:30 PM
I heard that The Black Freighter will be a DVD release at the same time as the Watchmen theatrical release.

Sooner_Havok
7/18/2008, 03:32 PM
I heard that The Black Freighter will be a DVD release at the same time as the Watchmen theatrical release.

You're right

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/business/media/26retail.html?_r=3&ref=business&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin)

KC//CRIMSON
7/18/2008, 08:20 PM
I don't know. Although I didn't find the trailer interesting at all, I'm not sure knowing what was going on would really make me care either.

http://67.222.3.193/customavatars/avatar2259_4.gif

fail.

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2008, 08:54 PM

Boy, I'd say that the narrative thread holds together much better with the Owl than Roscharch. The story chronicles Hollis' moral struggles and journey much more than other characters.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 09:00 PM
Boy, I'd say that the narrative thread holds together much better with the Owl than Roscharch. The story chronicles Hollis' moral struggles and journey much more than other characters.

i have to disagree (which is not to say i'm not wrong) but i think the moral conscience of the whole series is Rorschach--better and worse, and conflicted. dark and ****ed up society, stare it in the face.

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2008, 09:03 PM
Right, but Rorschach isn't conflicted-there's no struggle.

Hollis, on the other hand, is the fulcrum of the story. Everything turns on his choices.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 09:10 PM

Hollis, on the other hand, is the fulcrum of the story. Everything turns on his choices.

Hollis only gets pulled into the thing after Rorshach notices the death of the Comedian. and he's impotent without the suit and the Owl. R is the only one maintaining through with the ambiguous conscience of bad and right--he's the guy. Hollis has the tech, but he's a wuss until he nails whatshername. R is still working, breathing the streets.

that's the real story of society. the refuse.

reevie
7/18/2008, 09:11 PM

Of course, he lost his buttons.......he's looking for them.

How awesome would the movie be to have Rorschach missing buttons on his trenchcoat at different times in the movie like the book?

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2008, 09:21 PM
Hollis only gets pulled into the thing after Rorshach notices the death of the Comedian. and he's impotent without the suit and the Owl. R is the only one maintaining through with the ambiguous conscience of bad and right--he's the guy. Hollis has the tech, but he's a wuss until he nails whatshername. R is still working, breathing the streets.

I'd argue that Rorschach's investigation of the Comedian's death sets up as a framing device. The entire plot frames Hollis' journey from a callow and impotent man to a fully-functional adult.

I can't figure out how to hide text, so I won't go into the major plot points that I think support Hollis' being the central character to Watchmen so that I don't ruin the movie for anyone, but to me the whole story is really told through Hollis' eyes.

KC//CRIMSON
7/18/2008, 09:25 PM
I'd argue that Rorschach's investigation of the Comedian's death sets up as a framing device. The entire plot frames Hollis' journey from a callow and impotent man to a fully-functional adult.

I can't figure out how to hide text, so I won't go into the major plot points that I think support Hollis' being the central character to Watchmen so that I don't ruin the movie for anyone, but to me the whole story is really told through Hollis' eyes.

before text spoil

after text /spoil

and put [ ] before and after both

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2008, 09:28 PM
I agree that Rorschach is at least one version of conscience-he's the no-compromises part of Hollis' personality that says "law be damned, I'm going to do what's right." And he certainly has a narrative presence.

However, Hollis is the protagonist in Watchmen. The book is his coming of age, even though he starts the book in his late 30s. Heck, the book even continues after Rorschach's death.

Consider:

The initial struggle is Hollis trying to find his place in a world that doesn't want costumed adventurers.

The next struggle is Hollis trying to determine whether sleeping with Silk Spectre is right, or whether he should follow his feelings.

The next struggle is Hollis coming to grips with breaking Rorschach out of prison and returning to crime-fighting.

The final struggle is when Ozymandias' plot is revealed and Hollis realizes that 1) there's nothing he can do about it and 2) that Ozymandias may have been right.

Hollis is torn between Rorschach's moral outrage and Ozymandias' calculations for the greatest goods.

Finally, only Hollis grows in the story. As you point out, he's impotent-callow, even-at the beginning. By the end, he's a confident, functional adult.

The Black Frigate serves as a counterpoint to show that righteous moral outrage can wind up destroying what we love-showing that Rorschach's course is incorrect.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 09:28 PM

that's interesting. there are certainly precedents in literature and philosophy for both "owls" and "eyes" as narrative or wisdom. it could be true what you say: inside the psychoanalytic frame of the Rorshach blots...the internal narrative (psychosis) is the Night Owl.

i'm not sure though. i prefer, at this point, R as the dark conscience of a society and the idea of "vigilante".

Harry Beanbag
7/18/2008, 10:06 PM
http://67.222.3.193/customavatars/avatar2259_4.gif

fail.

Could someone translate this and tell me wtf it means? Thanks.

KC//CRIMSON
7/18/2008, 10:21 PM
It means you failed, as in "to fail."

OUTromBoNado
7/19/2008, 01:47 AM
In.

Way In.

So, only about an inch and half? :texan:

I keed, I keed! :D

Harry Beanbag
7/19/2008, 09:32 AM
It means you failed, as in "to fail."

Yeah, I can read that. Whatever.:rolleyes: What's with the demon guy jacking off?

KC//CRIMSON
7/19/2008, 10:10 AM
Failure Demon

Harry Beanbag
7/19/2008, 10:14 AM
Oh. It must be another comic book thingie.

KC//CRIMSON
7/23/2008, 01:42 PM
Free "Watchmen Motion Comics" over at iTunes. Check it out!:cool:

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080717/cover-story/comedian_l.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2008, 01:36 PM
'Watchmen' Director Zack Snyder Discusses Challenges Of Taking Comic To The Big Screen

These days, "300" director Zack Snyder is hard at work perfecting the impossible. As you read this, he is undoubtedly in some dark edit bay, unshaven and chugging a Starbucks, doing his very best to transform "Watchmen" from an unfilmable comic book into the next smash superhero movie.

So far, what we've seen of his efforts has been nothing short of perfection, from the trailer to the fan-pleasing in-jokes to the decision to have My Chemical Romance cover a Bob Dylan song for the end credits.

But how does he deal with the issue of Dr. Manhattan's crotch? What does he do when the script demands that he cut secondary characters like Hooded Justice? And why won't the creator of the graphic novel stop trashing Snyder when he hasn't even seen the movie? In a candid chat with MTV, the director of the March 2009 flick gave us a rundown of the landmines he's tiptoeing around while crafting a cinematic event worthy of the "Watchmen" name.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080717/cover-story/sally-jupiter_l.jpg

MTV: When "Watchmen" was first published in 1986-87, it was a shock to readers who'd become accustomed to clear-cut, antiseptic superheroes. After all the men-in-tights movies we've seen in the last few years, are moviegoers similarly ripe for a film that tears apart the mythologies of a Batman type, a Superman type and others?

Zack Snyder: Well, that's the hope. The hope is that people see their icons in this movie, and they see them deconstructed. That creates a conversation that is transcendent of a superhero movie. It's not just "Oh, that was fun, let's get a beer," but "That was great! Let's talk about it!" or "What does that mean?"

MTV: "Watchmen" creator Alan Moore recently gave an interview to Entertainment Weekly in which he reinforced his hatred toward any movie version of his book. Moore said he "would rather not know" what you do with your movie and that "There are things that we did with 'Watchmen' that could only work in a comic." How do you feel about his comments?

Snyder: I think it's consistent with his stance, and I respect that. Like I say, the point of the movie is not to replace the graphic novel. Look, after the trailer came out, "Watchmen" went to #2 on Amazon and suddenly hundreds of thousands of copies of the graphic novel are selling. That's all I can ask for. If the movie is successful, that's great. But in the end, I want people to read [Moore's] book.

MTV: It's no secret that Nite Owl is based somewhat on Batman. With the success of Christopher Nolan's films, did you try to ramp up such comparisons?

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080717/cover-story/nite-owl_l.jpg

Snyder: Well, Nite Owl's still a character who is a rich guy. He decided to become a crime-fighter. He lives in a brownstone. Under his brownstone is an abandoned subway station that he's turned into his Owl Chamber, as he calls it. He's built this ship; he's a genius of gadgetry. He has gadgets, and you could call him a gadget-based superhero. He has a grappling gun, and he throws things, and so he is very Batman-esque in that way. He was based on Batman as well as Blue Beetle.

MTV: You've said before that the character is like Batman if Batman couldn't get it up.

Snyder: [Laughs.] Yeah, that's just real. You've got to have that scene.

MTV: At Comic-Con, you revealed some very cool new "Watchmen" posters. What was the inspiration behind them?

Snyder: There were some materials that David [Gibbons] had created to advertise the book. We took those and said, "Let's just make some versions of that with Photoshop magic and re-create them almost exactly." [The Sally Jupiter] one we had to make up; that's the only one we didn't have. They were actually designed to be put in comic book stores to advertise the book. They were drawings that looked exactly like that.

MTV: Another big question, pardon the pun, is Dr. Manhattan's crotch area. He's naked in many scenes. So did you CGI things out or enhance them or what?

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080717/cover-story/Rorschach_l.jpg

Snyder: It's an R-rated movie, right? What you see in the trailer had to be a little bit squished around so it could get on TV. I think in the final film, you'll see it's true to the graphic novel. He's naked.

MTV: Malin Akerman's Silk Spectre costume also looks beautiful but seems like it would need some serious technical assistance.

Snyder: It's all latex. It's a very tight latex suit that we had to oil her up to get her into. [Laughs.]

MTV: Was it hard for her to deal with?

Snyder: I think it was uncomfortable, but we were like, "It's sexy." And so she was like, "I guess it's OK." ... She was constantly like, "Ow, it's poking me here!" and I was like, "Well, that's the superhero lifestyle!"

MTV: The footage you've shown gives us a brief peek at some secondary Watchmen like Dollar Bill. But you almost cut out Hooded Justice, correct?

Snyder: Yeah, it was hard [to get them all in]. There was a point where Hooded Justice wasn't in the movie. But then I was like, "No, we've got to have him in," so we had to scramble and get him in. Hooded Justice is in the movie, and he beats up Blake.

MTV: What's the current run time on the flick?

Snyder: Right now, it runs at around two hours and 50 minutes. I'm trying to make it shorter, because it's better if it's shorter, apparently. There is an online petition that says, "Keep 'Watchmen' at three hours." We'll see how that ends. Look, I just don't want to lose any story line, because you know eventually that's what happens. You start to have to cut characters out, and I just don't want to do that.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080717/cover-story/dr-manhattan_l.jpg

MTV: Where do you stand with "Tales of the Black Freighter"?

Snyder: We're waiting for some of the animation to come in, and we're just working on the edit. We did get Gerry Butler to do the voice. He's being the voice of the Sea Captain.

MTV: Can you tell us about a moment creating the "Watchmen" movie where you dared to veer away from the comic?

Snyder: Wow. ... I added dialogue between Nixon and Kissinger — that kind of stuff was fun to do. It's Nixon and Kissinger, and they're older than we would remember them, because it's 1985.

MTV: Are the Watchmen in these scenes?

Snyder: No, we [cut] to scenes with them. There are scenes where Nixon goes to the War Room, and they're talking about the escalating war with the Russians. It's that line of the story. ... In most cases, it's elaboration.

MTV: You're making a movie out of a literary classic, where everybody knows how it ends. Do you find yourself fighting the desire to change the ending and just throw a curveball at all the die-hard fans?

Snyder: I don't. There's something that happens in the graphic novel at the very, very end with one of the lead characters and how he resolves things that is not very Hollywood. ... Basically, the graphic novel offers us a moral dilemma. That's the crux of the book: It offers you a moral dilemma about what's the right thing to do. It's so complex that the true answer of what is right is not an easy one-line fix [typical] for Hollywood. ... In order to create the conversation at the end of the movie, in order to create the debate about whether it's right or wrong, you need to do it a certain way. And that's what we tried to do. ... For the fans, it's not about what happens at the end. It's about being able to have that conversation after the end.

pergdaddy
8/12/2008, 02:11 PM
I just finished the GN. What a great story. Knowing Snyder and how he did 300, the movie visually should look great as is shown in the trailer. Hopefully he sticks close to the novel, which it seems he does in the trailer.

And the movie's focal point is Ozymandias. He controls the flow of everything that is happening. He single handedly dismantles Rorschach (jail), Doc Manhattan (mars), SPectre (leaves Jon O) and the Comedian (out a window). Not to mention his intentions and that he takes a fake hit out on his own life to throw everyone off.

The protagonist would have to be ROrshach. He is on it from day one after Comedian's death.

This is going to be a fantastic movie.

But I do have a question? You all keep saying Hollis and everything as the protag and all but wasn't he the old dude that got the crap beaten out of him by the street thugs and isn't the Nite Owl in the book that sleeps with Laurie and survives Dan Dreiberg?

Frozen Sooner
8/12/2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, you're right, I meant Drieberg. It's been a couple of months since I read it.

pergdaddy
8/12/2008, 02:26 PM
It's no problem.

I was just afraid I missed something in the story. I thought I paid pretty good attention while reading it, so I was concerned.

Now onto Batman: The Long Halloween.

setem
8/12/2008, 02:53 PM

Graphic novel get it right!:rolleyes:

IN!

OUMallen
8/12/2008, 03:15 PM
Finished it this week. Awesome. I might read it again; borderline fanboy over the movie!

pergdaddy
8/12/2008, 03:35 PM
I hear ya.

I can't wait for the movie. I might re-read the novel closer to the release of the movie.

reevie
8/12/2008, 07:46 PM
Now onto Batman: The Long Halloween.

Excellent Choice

pergdaddy
8/13/2008, 09:40 AM
I haven't started it yet reevie, but it was highly recommended by a friend.

reevie
8/13/2008, 08:07 PM
Well, what are you waiting for?

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2008, 08:18 PM
Well, what are you waiting for?

Labor Day? ;)

Seriously, pergdaddy, read that book. That's what I think an ideal third Batman movie would be worked around (though some things would obviously have to change.)

reevie
8/13/2008, 09:27 PM
Labor Day? ;)

Seriously, pergdaddy, read that book. That's what I think an ideal third Batman movie would be worked around (though some things would obviously have to change.)

Having the Maroni's in Begins and The Dark Knight makes The Long Halloween a very attractive third movie. But since they set up the Police VS Batman storyline in Dark Knight I feel that the next movie will probably center around that plotline rather than Batman being a detective.

pergdaddy
8/14/2008, 08:33 AM
reevie,
I'm going on vacation this coming weekend to a cabin out in the woods. I'm holding out on the book so I have something to read at night while my kids watch Spongebob.

I'm torn on what the third Batman should be like. Obviously Batman is on the run with the police after him. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of Bruce as he will probably hang up the Batsuit for a while. Probably a menace will start taking control of the town and he'll resist being Batman for a while. He'll come out of "retirement" halfway through to take on said menace. Problem is you need a villain/bad guy with as much intensity to take on the character that both Ledger and Eckhart had with theirs. There is also obviously the possibility that they are stashing Dent at Arkham and he's not actually dead plus The Joker didn't die. They could pull something where he's controlling things from Arkham (althought I think that would be very difficult to pull off).

I'm just not sure which way they should go with it. I'm not real impressed with Penguin being in it. Riddler would be Ok if done seriously, not the Jim Carrey Riddler. Catwoman, I"m 50/50 on. I just don't know. SOmebody mentioned Bane to me wrecking havoc on Gotham.

pergdaddy
8/18/2008, 08:36 AM
The Long Halloween was a very very good story. I enjoyed that book.

Experts please, what are the best Batman GN's to read. I've read The Long Halloween and The Killing Joke (and Watchment). What are other ones worth reading. I was thinking of getting Arkham Asylum.

Mixer!
8/18/2008, 05:23 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BNx%2BCJLLL._SS500_.jpg

YWIA.

reevie
8/18/2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah, what Mixer said, The Dark Knight Returns must be on your list. Also add:

Year One (Frank Miller wrote this and The Dark Knight Returns)
The Man Who Laughs (A Joker origin story by Ed Brubaker who's doing good things on Daredevil and Captain America right now. And recently re-released in hardcover)

Those three are probably the big ones you need to go after now. Here are some others to consider

Hush (If you like lots of people getting beaten up and would be helpful if you pick up the current story in Detective Comics)

I enjoyed Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk.
I also pretty much enjoy anything Paul Dini writes. If you watched Batman: The Animated Series in the 90s, he wrote them and there are some classics he did there (Mr. Freeze origin story for example). He's been the regular writer for Detective Comics for about 2 years.

I haven't read Arkham Asylum. To me, Grant Morrison is hit and miss and the art hasn't appealed me enough to read it. If you like Arkham Asylum and Morrison, add Gothic to your list and probably stuff from his run on Batman the past 2 years (Resurrection of Rha's al Ghul, Batman and Son)

Going back to the Long Halloween, Jeph Loeb also wrote a sequel and a spin-off. Dark Victory and Catwoman: When in Rome.

Also, go to your local comic shop and and just start reading Batman and Detective Comics. A good shop will have back issues, so don't be afraid that you're jumping into the middle of R.I.P. because you should be able to get all the back issues for it. Then just start reading Batman monthly.

Hope this helps...

reevie
8/18/2008, 08:16 PM
Here are a couple of Paul Dini GNs:

Batman: Detective (collects Detective Comics 821-826)
Batman: Death and the City (collects Detective Comics 827-834)

Both of these are from his current run (issue 847 is the most recent release)

pergdaddy
8/19/2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks Reevie.

I'll write some of those down. Pay day's a comin'.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2008, 08:29 PM
new trailer with some new footage

c3O1RAq7NQ0

jage
10/22/2008, 09:08 PM

Yeah, I was lost...looked pretty strange to me.

King Crimson
10/22/2008, 09:12 PM
i read a fanboy thing on yahoo! a few weeks ago that said the prelim footage was kickass and "Tales/Black Freighter" would be made as an animated short on the DVD release....

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2008, 09:14 PM
i read a fanboy thing on yahoo! a dew weeks ago that said the prelim footage was kickass and "Tales/Black Freighter" would be made as an animated short on the DVD release....

From what I've read Tales will by released on DVD sometime around the time the movie hits theaters. It's also supposed to have Under the Hood on it too.

Hella cool

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2008, 09:22 PM
Warning:

Apparently a major plot point has been changed from the GN to the movie.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2008, 09:23 PM
Warning:

Which one?

The end I would imagine

King Crimson
10/22/2008, 09:25 PM
Warning:

c'mon Mike, don't be like that. tell us.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2008, 09:27 PM
c'mon Mike, don't be like that. tell us.

I'm betting they don't off Rorschach

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2008, 09:33 PM
The entire plotline with the artists and such doesn't happen. Instead of the crazy telepathic extradimensional beastie, Ozymandius devises a machine that's capable of detonating and seeming like it was done by Dr. Manhattan. Ozymandius sets it off in multiple cities (not just NYC) and Dr. Manhattan agrees to play along to help save the world. And Rorschach does indeed crunch his final crunch.

reevie
10/22/2008, 09:37 PM
Warning:

Studio Exec: "hmmm, we can **** off Allan Moore by doing this movie, what else can we do to him?"

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2008, 09:38 PM
I don't know what I think about that

King Crimson
10/22/2008, 09:54 PM
huh.

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2008, 10:43 PM
I think it's probably a good move. Tightens up the plot a bit with a device that's already in play. Also makes someone a more interesting character.

reevie
10/23/2008, 06:32 AM
If it works, I'll be ok with it.

pergdaddy
10/23/2008, 10:50 AM
I didn't hear that Mike. I had heard there were only minor plot changes, nothing serious. From the footage I have seen, that seems to suggest that.

I hope they didn't change it. the GN storyline is great and changing it would diminish what the GN was saying.

I did see Manhattan's Giant hand coming down through the roof at Ozy's antarctic palace and the shot of Nite Owl screaming no in the snow seems to suggest that Ozy either already pulled off the plot or ROhrschach did indeed meet his maker.

I'll have to investigate further. I hope they didn't change it. I'll keep an open mind if they did and see how it works, but I was hoping they would leave it alone.

King Crimson
10/23/2008, 02:36 PM
the thing i read had Alan Moore saying the screenplay "was as close to Watchmen" as you could get.

i don't have the link anymore, apologize.

KC//CRIMSON
10/23/2008, 05:31 PM
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/10/22/watchmen-poster-justice.jpg

New Trailer - http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/10/more_of_that_watchmen_movie.php

soonerboomer93
10/24/2008, 12:47 AM
Kevin Smith said it was awesome, or atleast the screening version he was invited to see was.

Sooner_Havok
10/24/2008, 05:08 AM
Kevin Smith said it was awesome, or atleast the screening version he was invited to see was.

What would he know about an awesome movie?

ZING!

No really, he does some pretty good work. Jersey Girl though, WTF?????

pergdaddy
10/28/2008, 11:53 AM
And it's rated R.

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

KC//CRIMSON
11/14/2008, 11:00 AM
New Trailer :cool: - http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/11/new_watchmen_trailer.php

King Crimson
11/14/2008, 01:12 PM
New Trailer :cool: - http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/11/new_watchmen_trailer.php

pretty cool. one thing that seems off, Silk Spectre/Janey isn't with Rorshach or Night Owl when they get to Veidt's polar palace thing. Ozy still needs to be older.

NormanPride
11/14/2008, 01:50 PM
I'm going to nerdrage if they mess this up.

King Crimson
11/14/2008, 02:28 PM
I'm going to nerdrage if they mess this up.

like LOTR, this is pretty high stakes they are playing around with....in geekdom.

if they sell to the younger people, they alienate the 30-35 age group (now) that were the original readers/fans in the late 80's.

rated R and 2.5-3 hours should be somewhat consoling...or encouraging.

but, until it's out...it's a big question mark.

pergdaddy
11/14/2008, 03:46 PM
Crimson,
I didn't think Janey was with them when they went. I thought Dan and Rorschach went in the Owlship. Wasn't janey still on Mars with Jon? Isn't that how she got there was because he teleported them back to the arctic palace? It's been a couple of months since I read it, so I'm not 100% sure.

King Crimson
11/14/2008, 04:09 PM
Crimson,
I didn't think Janey was with them when they went. I thought Dan and Rorschach went in the Owlship. Wasn't janey still on Mars with Jon? Isn't that how she got there was because he teleported them back to the arctic palace? It's been a couple of months since I read it, so I'm not 100% sure.

yeah, that's how it is....in the original.

she's with John.

reevie
11/22/2008, 01:52 PM
I picked up a copy of the recently released new hardcover today. I'm ready to start the re-read.

KC//CRIMSON
12/31/2008, 02:05 PM
Featurette - http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/12/watchmen_featurette_hey_its_mo.php

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2009, 12:47 PM
Japan Has A Trailer Too!

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/01/japan_has_a_watchmen_trailer_t.php

King Crimson
1/7/2009, 01:01 PM
I picked up a copy of the recently released new hardcover today. I'm ready to start the re-read.

is that the Ultimate Watchmen thing? i saw someone toting that the other day. i did the reread in November. i'd like to try and see the movie on it's merits.

i liked the LoTR movies (though i'd never have thought in a billion ****ing years that was even possible)....though, still mildly PO's they nixed Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights. Also, the "Many Meetings" and "Councils with Elrond" chapters got massively shortchanged...that stuff was like 150 pages inna day. I read LoTR when i was in 4th grade, i busted my *** to read that hoe-down at Rivendell which was confusing, boring, and WTF?....and all Peter Jackson can do is have Gimli try and split the ring with his axe and a bunch of friggin' waterfalls?

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2009, 05:42 PM
New Featurette:

r4olvISjbj0

reevie
1/7/2009, 08:29 PM
is that the Ultimate Watchmen thing? i saw someone toting that the other day. i did the reread in November. i'd like to try and see the movie on it's merits.

You mean the Absolute Edition? No, I did not pick up a copy of the Absolute Watchment, mainly cause it is $75.00. But DC recently released a hardcover edition. But according to the DC website (http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=10206) it is basically the Absolute edition in a more normal format.

King Crimson
1/7/2009, 11:36 PM
minutemen featurette: sally jupiter and silhouette, rawr.

reevie: absolute is what i meant above.

NormanPride
1/8/2009, 11:04 AM
Jeez, this had better not suck.

Frozen Sooner
1/8/2009, 01:42 PM
I will be mildly surprised if this movie actually comes out in March

KC//CRIMSON
1/21/2009, 07:49 PM
This Video May Prove Dr. Manhattan Actually Exists

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/01/21/watchmen-manhattan-news.jpg

Watchmen is really upping the quality of these viral marketing schemes. Those Dark Knight viral sites like, the Joker's defaced version of The Gotham Times, The Ha Ha Ha Times, were fun but left lingering questions about why a criminal psychopath would spend so much time on decoupage and scanning. This video about Dr. Manhattan, done in a style that perfectly replicates a '70s network news broadcast, on the other hand, is pretty great--both as marketing and as a companion piece to the film. If this were one of my dementia "bad days", I'd think this was real:

nd5cInmK6LQ

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2009, 08:17 PM
Looks like Fox and WB finally settled, so I take back my comment about the movie not coming out in March. Yay!

KC//CRIMSON
1/29/2009, 03:37 PM
World Exclusive Unseen Watchmen Images

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/n/nite-owls-antarctica-suit-630-75.jpg

Nite Owl II's Antarctica suit

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/j/jon-osterman-and-janey-slater-pose-for-a-significant-photo-630-75.jpg

Jon Osterman and Janey Slater pose for a significant photo

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/t/the-many-faces-of-rorschach-630-75.jpg

The many faces of Rorschach

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/t/the-axis-of-evil-630-75.jpg

The Axis Of Evil

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/b/billy-crudup-and-malin-akerman-take-direction-during-the-destruction-of-new-york-630-75.jpg

Billy Crudup and Malin Akerman take direction during the destruction of New York

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/w/watchmen-the-film-companion-630-75.jpg

Watchmen: The Film Companion

OU4LIFE
1/29/2009, 03:57 PM
I just got the paperback version this weekend, wanted to read it before I saw the movie.

so far...eh. But i'm only into chapter 4.

KC//CRIMSON
2/18/2009, 04:16 PM
Clips!

6FlQN9GsvBI

00paR4jXgPo

OU4LIFE
2/19/2009, 08:20 AM
Looks like they've done a pretty good job.

I hope it's as good in the theater.

King Crimson
2/19/2009, 08:39 AM
hard to know from those clips. i guess the "new" Dr. Manhattan plot line is available in clip 2?

the Ozymandius character in the clip seems weary enough...seemed way too young in some of the other stuff to be a "mask" vet.

OUmillenium
2/19/2009, 12:26 PM

I'm with King, and from the trailers it appears Rorshach is narrator. Trailers look great in how they are depicting characters/events so far. I have followed the making of this movie for about 3-4 years and am so glad it is finally here. My wife might even read the comic at some point ( her first ).

You know tons of story will not be in it but that is OK. I am really excited.

OUmillenium
2/19/2009, 12:40 PM
For those of you just now reading Watchmen, the 2nd reading will be much better than the first in many ways! You'll see...

KC//CRIMSON
2/20/2009, 04:55 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen? - A Veidt Music Network (VMN) Special - 1983

sCpl3MLVwUc

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 05:13 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen? - A Veidt Music Network (VMN) Special - 1983

sCpl3MLVwUc

kind of stupid, if you ask me.

KC//CRIMSON
2/26/2009, 05:52 PM
Gotta love viral marketing.....