PDA

View Full Version : Plumley Suspended. Will not play this season.

Sooner24
7/17/2008, 06:54 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3271463/

Curly Bill
7/17/2008, 06:55 PM
So...will this cut our turnovers in half?

BoomerGirl34
7/17/2008, 07:09 PM
Looks like Jasmine Hartman will play immediately.

zeke
7/17/2008, 07:11 PM
I'm not a big basketball fan or follower but I really enjoyed watching this young lady play. I hate to see this. Hopefully she will learn from this and get back on track.

BoomerGirl34
7/17/2008, 07:17 PM
Big kudos to Coach Coale for taking the hard way....with luck, Jenna will get herself squared away and be back in '09-'10 with a solid GPA, and a good attitude.

badger
7/17/2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080717_2__Unive05508

I'm sad. :(

tommieharris91
7/17/2008, 07:28 PM
I get the feeling that the basketball team will be better for this.

KC//CRIMSON
7/17/2008, 07:29 PM
suspended indefinitely.

BoomerGirl34
7/17/2008, 07:39 PM
Attitude will determine whether she weathers this well or not. Like the old adage, life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with it. She needs to ditch the bad friends (just some rumblings I've heard) and get with some solid people who have her best interests at heart.

I wish her luck. My daughter's favorite player and my girl is CRUSHED over this.

I want to see a success story!

Sooner24
7/17/2008, 07:51 PM
Didn't take long for them to get her name off the roster.

http://soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/okla-w-baskbl-mtt.html

Sooner24
7/17/2008, 07:57 PM
Jenna lives with Rose Hammond and Abi Olajuwon in Abi's house. They had been called in to Coach Coales because of some late night partys and noise complaints by the neighbors. I was told they were warned if there were anymore complaints they would be back in the dorms. Looks like one of them might be for sure.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2008, 05:43 AM
Sounds like someone has some maturing to do.

soonerfan28
7/18/2008, 08:10 AM
Finally an excuse to bench her. She needed to sit.

Boomer.....
7/18/2008, 08:23 AM
Jenna was a big part of the team and definitely gave them boosts when they were down. She is going to be missed next season.

Cam
7/18/2008, 08:41 AM
Yes she'll be missed, but the team will move on. Hopefully she's able to get her head together and come back a better person and teammate.

picasso
7/18/2008, 09:19 AM
can't be her first fudge up, not with the penalty she's gotten.

I'm pulling for her. Shoplifting is no way to further one's career.

soonerfan28
7/18/2008, 09:23 AM
can't be her first fudge up, not with the penalty she's gotten.

I'm pulling for her. Shoplifting is no way to further one's career.
Yea, she should have talked to Granger.

bri
7/18/2008, 10:51 AM
Jesus, good thing it wasn't a felony. :eek:

BoomerJack
7/18/2008, 11:05 AM
From reading the articles in the Tulsa & OKC fishwrappers, it sounds like Jenna was in Coale's doghouse to begin with. This incident at the Wal-Mart was the capper.

It would be wonderful if she hangs tough in Norman, elevates the GPA and comes back to be a contributor to the team in '09-'10.

The announcement sez she's still on scholly. But how does it affect eligibility?

dolemitesooner
7/18/2008, 11:06 AM
Dumb beyonce

Scott D
7/18/2008, 11:28 AM
don't think she ever redshirted, so it's possible it could become a redshirt year, but that might depend on how things develop.

badger
7/18/2008, 11:47 AM
Jesus, good thing it wasn't a felony. :eek:

Sherri Coale's System of Systematic Discipline.

(1) Police or RA called, warnings issued
Examples: Practicing trumpet or bad singing styles at 2 a.m. in the dorms, DDR dancing on the second floor or above and the person below you gets pissy, making out with boyfriend in boy dorm until after curfew, mouthing off to an RA

Coale Penalty: Stern face and verbal berating that will make offender cry. Offender must perform actions in front of rest of the team for public humility. After showing rest of the team how action is performed, rest of team emulates actions while Coale judges accuracy. Offender must run wind sprints until rest of team passes Coale's judgment of action accuracy.

(2) Police or RA called, fine or citation issued (first time)
Examples: Waking an RA up for stupidity, damging university property in a minor way, possession of alcohol (not caught drinking it), bad driving stuff (like parking tickets, speeding tickets, etc), having a noise violation for a loud party at night.

Coale Penalty: Stern face and verbal berating that will make offender cry. Offender must apologize to entire team at next practice, offender must promise to never do it again. Offender will then need to shoot 100 free throws (CP3 hopefully never had to do this) while team counts out loud the number offender makes. Offender will then run one mile for each free throw missed and will not be allowed to practice or play until miles are finished.

(3) Same as above (second and final time)

Coale Penalty: Stern face and verbal berating that will make offender cry. Offender will serve a one-game penalty, but must show up to game in full uniform and a fake cast to give the perception of a minor injury. Offender will be timed on amount of cheering done during game - chants started, clapping, yelling, etc. Offender will look to basketball band and cheer squads for a lot of help. Offender will run one mile for each minute of non-cheering during the game and will not be allowed to practice or play until miles are finished.

Any additional fines or citations will result in an indefinite suspension.

(4) Police and RA called, arrest and/or court date in future

Examples: Stealing makeup, underage drinking, physical violence, etc (first and last time)

Coale Penalty: Stern face and verbal berating that will make offender cry. Offender's offense will be made public, as will one of the punishments of a four-game suspension. During the four games, however, the public will not know of the added private penalty that is kept secret to everyone except the game: Team Beyonce. Offender will dress in hotel maid outfit, complete with feather duster. During practices, Team Beyonce will issue everyone pieces of gum, Gatorade, water, a basketball, a towel, whatever they want. After practice, Team Beyonce will remove all leftover gum from the bleachers left by teammates, will mop the entire practice areas of any gatorade/water spills, will be responsible for collecting and cleaning practice balls, and will do team laundry, including towels, uniforms, sweat bands, socks, everything.

Any additional arrests/court dates will result in an indefinite suspension.

(5) Classwork offenses

Examples: Failing class, not showing up to class, mouthing off to professors, any slacking off.

Coale Penalty: Stern face and verbal berating that will make offender cry... and "The Dunce Cap." Player will perform all practices and non-public appearances with a traditional dunce cap cone hat on with symbols of the failing class visible as a reminder to everyone else what she is failing. For example, the word "Dunce" in Spanish is "burro" (or burra, for the feminine version) if she's failing Spanish. Anytime The Dunce Cap falls off the player for whatever reason (basketball is a very physical sport, or perhaps she wants to shower following practice?), the offender will run one mile - with The Dunce Cap, yes. Player will not play in any game until miles are finished.

(6) Severe offenses

Examples: DUI, illegal drug use or distribution, assault, stuff involving felonies that you'd expect out of some of the bad football programs.

Coale penalty: Indefinite suspension. Player will not receive a stern talking to (as the player likely is already in tears), but rather, a personable talking to so they understand what they must do to turn their life around and perhaps someday, rejoin the team. Hey, Coach Coale is a coach and mother, after all :D

poke4christ
7/18/2008, 12:41 PM
man, I think that's a little harsh. Has she even been formally accused of it? It sounded like she was just detained. Also, it's months till the season starts and they are already saying she's out for the year. Wow. Maybe I'm just being too easy on the situation.

edit: okay, I just read the article. I see now this wasn't an isolated incident. They've had multiple problems with her. Too bad. I hope she stays at OU and continues to work on her degree.

SOONER STEAKER
7/18/2008, 01:18 PM
I wonder if the Paris twins have sock/soaped her yet. :D

This is one of the worst things that could happen to this team.

badger
7/18/2008, 01:31 PM
I wonder if the Paris twins have sock/soaped her yet. :D

This is one of the worst things that could happen to this team.

That would have been the Coale Penalty had it not been a repeat offense. My list was not all-inclusive. ;)

Ardmore_Sooner
7/18/2008, 03:06 PM
Two words...

Whitney Hand.

Eielson
7/18/2008, 04:14 PM
I think we could have gotten as far as we did last year with any point guard as long as we have Ashley and Courtney Paris.

okienole3
7/18/2008, 05:56 PM
Was she having grade problems too?

Sooner24
7/18/2008, 06:01 PM
Two words...

Whitney Hand.

Two words back at you.

Mr. Hand

http://www.fu-manchu.com/morbidaj/mrhand.jpg

Dio
7/19/2008, 12:30 AM
Two words back at you.

Mr. Hand

http://www.fu-manchu.com/morbidaj/mrhand.jpg

Aloha

Remembering Tom Stidham
7/19/2008, 11:17 AM
I'll bet she succumbed to that ancient enemy of the American indian, firewater!

tulsaoilerfan
7/19/2008, 06:46 PM

Ouch, that's kinda harsh right there

tulsaoilerfan
7/19/2008, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know what got her into the doghouse in the first place?

soonerfan28
7/19/2008, 08:46 PM
I read an article that said she was partying too much off campus where she was living.

Sooner24
7/19/2008, 09:33 PM
I read an article that said she was partying too much off campus where she was living.

That plus poor grades a bad attitude and then the Wal-Mart deal was the last straw.

My sources say she has pretty much been ostracized by the team, she has been locked out of the practice facility and odds are she won't make her grades because she never studies. Unless she does a quick 180 she is probably gone. I really hope she does some serious soul searching and realizes what a golden opportunity she has been given.

LoyalFan
7/21/2008, 10:22 AM
Well, at least there's been none of the "Give her a break cause she's a victim of the poor treatment given 'Native Americans' " stuff. Hell, I'm of German/English descent and I'M a Native American. Yep, my nativity occurred in America. If fact, in Oklahoma...Fort Sill...COMANCHE County.
Having a bad day. Sorry. No intent to offend.
Grumble...mutter...

LF

badger
7/21/2008, 11:02 AM
Well, at least there's been none of the "Give her a break cause she's a victim of the poor treatment given 'Native Americans' " stuff. Hell, I'm of German/English descent and I'M a Native American. Yep, my nativity occurred in America. If fact, in Oklahoma...Fort Sill...COMANCHE County.
Having a bad day. Sorry. No intent to offend.
Grumble...mutter...

LF

Uh, why would you expect such talk? Most of this state has Indian ties.

If a dude gets fired in San Francisco, odds are he won't get anywhere by claiming that he got fired because he's gay, because nearly everyone around him is, too.

If another dude can't find work in El Paso, odds are he won't get anywhere claiming that nobody will hire him because he's Hispanic, because so are most of the rest of the city... and area...in south Texas.

Such is the case in Oklahoma, where if you are not Cherokee, you are Choctaw, if you are not Choctaw, you are Creek. If you are not Creek, you are Cherokee, and if your neighbor's Seminole, your other neighbor's Delaware. If you aren't any of the above, you're all of the above through your ancestry and even if you aren't one drop of Native American blood, you're surrounded by people who are.

I love Oklahoma because we embrace our Native heritage. Hell, it says so on our license plates!

So anyways, hope you cheer up. Offseason is almost over. We're all grumbling around here from lack of sports too :)

picasso
7/21/2008, 03:31 PM

yes, because no other race of college athlete partakes in such things.:rolleyes:

Statalyzer
7/22/2008, 10:40 AM
I think we could have gotten as far as we did last year with any point guard as long as we have Ashley and Courtney Paris.

There's a lot of truth to that, but having guards that can hit the outside shot helps a lot when the Parises get double teamed.

don't think she ever redshirted, so it's possible it could become a redshirt year, but that might depend on how things develop.

Getting a redshirt for getting kicked off the team doesn't make much sense to me.

There has to be more to this than the theft incident given the punishment she got.

The_Red_Patriot
8/6/2008, 10:11 AM
Jarboe and Plumley.......cute

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/ou-jarboe-plumley.jpg

NormanPride
8/6/2008, 10:28 AM
Are they starting a club? Call Rawls, Bomar, and Quinn...

Jeopardude
8/6/2008, 01:27 PM
Did you see the article in the OKG about Courtney Paris taking Newsgathering at the journalism school this summer? I wonder if she found out about Plumley before the others.

badger
8/6/2008, 01:39 PM
Did you see the article in the OKG about Courtney Paris taking Newsgathering at the journalism school this summer? I wonder if she found out about Plumley before the others.

News Gathering is a very difficult class... or at least is was under the professor I took that recently retired.

It is all news-related, not sports in the class. Campus, city, government, but not sports. I spent the semester tagging along with the enormous College of Arts and Sciences.

Students in that class struggle to keep up with course demands, thus they usually do not uncover the rare Plumley-like story.

Catch 22
8/6/2008, 10:20 PM
Unless Jarboe is standing on his knees, that pic says he stands about 5' 9 instead of the 6'3 he was claiming......unless he was measured in his hat...:P

badger
8/21/2008, 02:16 PM
The Epilogue to this story. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080821_2__Jenna21100)

What a sad ending to what started off as such an awesome story - Jenna Plumley, full-blooded Native American, Oklahoman, and starting point guard for the University of Oklahoma. :(

Chuck Bao
8/21/2008, 03:38 PM
I am terribly disappointed, as I know a lot of her other fans will be.

Good luck, Jenna, and I hope you transfer to a good school, finish your degree and find success.

badger
8/21/2008, 07:58 PM
me too, man. me too

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2008, 08:28 PM
Same thing I say about all the others who wasted opportunity...good luck...c ya later...

tulsaoilerfan
8/22/2008, 06:14 PM
Just don't understand why she can't stay at school, sit out the year, and come back re-dedicated next year; transferring to another school is the easy way out

badger
8/22/2008, 06:28 PM
Just don't understand why she can't stay at school, sit out the year, and come back re-dedicated next year; transferring to another school is the easy way out

it's also not that beneficial, unless she goes to an I-AA or lesser school, she's not gonna play this year no matter what... and I'm not sure I-AA is that great.

It's like Brett and D.J. getting kicked off the fooseball team. They went to I-AA to get their eligibility right away, but there at lesser schools... and then got suspended for the season by the NCAA anyways.