soonermix
7/17/2008, 01:44 PM
i might put snyder a bit higher seeing what he started with

SteelClip49
7/17/2008, 01:50 PM
I should have said retired coaches.

badger
7/17/2008, 03:00 PM
Do feel-good, morale, people's championships count?

If not (and no, they do not count), then go ahead and put BSU's Pederson and AU's Tubby up there too.

Oh... retired coaches. Well in that case, I nominate UW's legend Barry Alvarez. He took Wisconsin to three Rose Bowls (winning all three), had a Heisman winner (Ron Dayne) and resurrected a program that is usually third-tier to Meatchicken and tOSU (and Penn State in its day). He always had Wisconsin ranked, even if he never won the overall championship.

He continues to be a part of the Wisconsin program, despite Nebraska's pleas for him to come home. That has to count for something around these here parts :D

Octavian
7/17/2008, 05:48 PM
good list.

Possibly also Fred Akers (don't laugh). Akers wisely made the switch from the Wishbone to the I in his first season to exploit the talents of Earl Campbell. After winning the Heisman, Earl and Akers were a bowl win away from winning the '77 NC. Notre Dame blasted the previously undefeated and #1 ranked Horns in the Cotton.

In 1983, #2 Texas went into the Cotton Bowl undefeated again but lost to Georgia 10-9. Had the Horns won, they would have won the NC then too...because later that night Miami beat #1 Nebraska in the classic 31-30, failed 2-point conversion game.

He finished poorly in general and especially against Switzer and OU. But had the ball bounced differently for him in a couple games...he'd be remembered as a legend.

2. Frank Broyles- Undefeated in 1964

Arkansas is widely credited for winning the NC in '64....even though Bama won the AP and UPI.

Frank's Hogs (a team that included Switzer) were the only team to finish the bowl season unbeaten.

On New Years Day, UofA was #2 and defeated Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl while #1 Alabama lost to Texas in the Orange. Arkansas celebrated as champions, were named so by Football Writers Association of America and the Helms Ath. Foundation, received rings, and it was widely viewed by the public as legitimate (ie. not an Auburn's "Peoples Championship").

It was the final season that the AP awarded a champ prior to the bowl games -- and Arkansas still claims the 1964 NC and displays it.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/17/2008, 05:53 PM
I agree with soonermix. Snyder took the worst team in college football and turned it into a powerhouse (temporarily) with some of the worst facilities in the country. I would put him up at #1.

Bo underacheived imo. It's Michigan, you're going to get top recruits, you're going to have great facilities, it's going to be easy to hire good assistants.

Octavian
7/17/2008, 05:55 PM
I agree with soonermix. Snyder took the worst team in college football and turned it into a powerhouse (temporarily) with some of the worst facilities in the country. I would put him up at #1.

Bo underacheived imo. It's Michigan, you're going to get top recruits, you're going to have great facilities, it's going to be easy to hire good assistants.

agree on both counts.

r5TPsooner
7/17/2008, 07:04 PM
John Blake <ducks>

Curly Bill
7/17/2008, 07:08 PM
John Blake <ducks>

Hard to believe he never won one huh? :D

badger
7/17/2008, 07:41 PM
Hard to believe he never won one huh? :D

Obligatory "He one through his players that he recruited in the 2000 championship" "He won recruiting national championships" "What about when he was a player?" "Boooooooooo"

Big Red Ron
7/17/2008, 07:57 PM
Well, I would take Leach before any of those guys. Guess it depends on how you argue it.

Curly Bill
7/17/2008, 07:58 PM
Well, I would take Leach before any of those guys. Guess it depends on how you argue it.

Pirate lover!

:D

AllAboutThe'O'
7/17/2008, 08:16 PM
Here is what I say......

1. Bo Schembechler- best finish was #2 in 1985

2. Frank Broyles- Undefeated in 1964

3. Bobby Dodd- Undefeated in 1952

4. John Cooper- 3 golden opportunities in 1993, 1996 and 1998

5. Don Nehlen- played for titles in 1988 and 1993

6. Frank Kush- 2 Undefeated seasons with the Sun Devils

7. Bill Snyder- 1998 was his best shot

8. R.C. Slocum- Undefefeated in 1994

9. Pat Dye- Royally screwed when previously #5 Miami jumped them

10. John Vaught- 2 Undefeated seasons at Ole Miss

If I'm not mistaken, in addition to Broyles' '64 Razorbacks winning the Grantland Rice Trophy, awarded by one news service as its national champion, Dodd's '52 Georgia Tech team and one of Vaught's Ole Miss teams were also awarded national titles by at least one wire service. In fact, the '60 Ole Miss team was also awarded the Grantland Rice Trophy.

A couple of more names I would like to add to the list:

Charley McClendon (LSU): Had the longest head-coaching tenure of any LSU football coach - 18 seasons (1962-79). Won at least nine games from 1969-73, including the '70 SEC championship. Also holds the school record for most coaching wins, most bowl appearances and most bowl wins.

Another Charley, Charley Pell (Clemson and Florida): Had some solid teams at both schools, but got in trouble for recruiting violations. Pell's replacement at Clemson, Danny Ford, went on to win the '81 national title while Pell's replacement at Florida, Galen Hall, won the '84 SEC title.

Any old-timers want to put Chuck Fairbanks on that list? What if he didn't leave OU after the '72 season to take over the New England Patriots?

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/17/2008, 08:23 PM
Arkansas is widely credited for winning the NC in '64....even though Bama won the AP and UPI.

Well then they didn't win one. No disrespect to The King's old EDIT: assistant coachin' days, but the AP and UPI were the best system in place at the time. It may not be perfect, but you have to recognize. Southern Cal is widely credited for winning the NC in '03, but they didn't win the BCS. Imperfect as that is, it's the system in place at the time, and you have to recognize.

Jdog
7/17/2008, 08:24 PM
i might put snyder a bit higher seeing what he started with

I have to agree with you. When you consider where KSU was for the decades before Snyder, to where he got'em --- I would have to put him up, a head of the Great Woody Hayes Prodigy, as the "best coach" with out a NC.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/17/2008, 08:26 PM
Well then they didn't win one. No disrespect to The King's old playin' days, but the AP and UPI were the best system in place at the time. It may not be perfect, but you have to recognize. Southern Cal is widely credited for winning the NC in '03, but they didn't win the BCS. Imperfect as that is, it's the system in place at the time, and you have to recognize.

The King was an assistant on that '64 Razorback team; he played for them in the late '50s.

Eielson
7/17/2008, 08:27 PM
Man, where is that real MAN!?