PDA

View Full Version : iPhone w/2.0 havers?

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 08:38 AM
Would someone give me a quick note about what this "push" term means with regards to data?

Besides messing up my icon arrangements, I'm not seeing much other changes so far...just not sure what the push capability will do for me. I was already getting my email on my phone prior to this update...

TIA

yermom
7/17/2008, 09:05 AM
i don't think it matters unless you are using Exchange mail

yermom
7/17/2008, 09:06 AM
the push thing, i mean

also there is the app store and various other things, like tagging your pics with your current location

r5TPsooner
7/17/2008, 09:37 AM
Do you have to go to an Apple store to purchase one of these things? I've also read that just in time for X-Mas, a new and improved iPhone will hit the market with more speed, and more internal memory>?

yermom
7/17/2008, 09:58 AM
i haven't heard anything about the next one, they might be talking about the one that just came out?

the Apple stores got more than the AT&T stores did, apparently they ran out fast

in theory you can get them from AT&T, if you can find them. i haven't been looking to buy one, so i'm not sure what the status is on finding one today

Frozen Sooner
7/17/2008, 10:36 AM
I got one from an AT&T store on Saturday, but we don't have Apple Stores. :mad:

"Push" means that your e-mail and calendaring shows up on your phone as soon as it hits the server. If you want to pay Apple $100/year for a service that doesn't work right now, they'll get your e-mail set up through their deal to do that.

mdklatt
7/17/2008, 10:54 AM
Would someone give me a quick note about what this "push" term means with regards to data?

What it generally means (might be something else altogether with an iPhone) is that data is effectively pushed down to you by the server rather than being pulled down by you from the server. It's usually used in the context of updates. If your e-mail is set to automatically receive messages as soon as they hit your e-mail server, that one example of push. What this means to you as the user is that the newest e-mail/news/data/whatever just automagically shows up.

Sooner_Havok
7/17/2008, 01:19 PM
OU email is now on exchange, I get my email as soon as it is sent pretty much. There is almost no delay between my outlook client and my ipod now.

r5TPsooner
7/17/2008, 01:20 PM
I think I'm getting the wife unit one for her anniversary. Thing is... I get reimbursed for it.

Heh heh.:twinkies:

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 06:11 PM
What it generally means (might be something else altogether with an iPhone) is that data is effectively pushed down to you by the server rather than being pulled down by you from the server. It's usually used in the context of updates. If your e-mail is set to automatically receive messages as soon as they hit your e-mail server, that one example of push. What this means to you as the user is that the newest e-mail/news/data/whatever just automagically shows up.

So, if I'm used to just checking my email from time to time, the only noticable change to my iPhone with 2.0 is that I can save .jpgs sent thru email or on Safari? (that and it deleted all my inbox emails and screwed up my screen icon organization)

hurricane'bone
7/17/2008, 06:54 PM
Push has already been explained - so I'll skip over that.

Do you have to go to an Apple store to purchase one of these things? I've also read that just in time for X-Mas, a new and improved iPhone will hit the market with more speed, and more internal memory>?

You can purchase at either ATT or Apple stores, however, as Yermom said Apple Stores will have more stock. You can check for instock status at the Apple Store for the next day at www.apple.com/retail/pennsquare.

As to the rumor you posted, I'd say there is a 99.999% chance its bull****. It's probably being egged on by the same people who would walk into the Apple Store the day after the iPhone came out last year and talk about how the iPhone nano was supposed to be coming out in a matter of months.

"Push" means that your e-mail and calendaring shows up on your phone as soon as it hits the server. If you want to pay Apple $100/year for a service that doesn't work right now, they'll get your e-mail set up through their deal to do that.

Incorrect, it is working - and as a courtesy to all .mac/mobileme customers, Apple is extending their service by one month. (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2408) It also does your mail, calendar and contacts through your iPhone, Me.com, or iCal/Address Book/Mail, in addition to giving you 20 GB of online storage as well as the ability to host your own domain (if you use iWeb)

Lott's Bandana - When you installed the 2.0 update, how did it screw up your home screen organization? When I updated my original one, I don't remember if it did or not - but I know that once it syched (which was immediately after the update) everything was back to normal.

Did you do the update on a computer you don't normally use?

Do you use POP or IMAP for email?

The biggest update for 2.0 was the App Store. You are doing yourself a tremendous disservice if you haven't checked it out, the ability for screenshots and to save pictures was also a part of the update but the App Store was by and large the biggest part and you should check it out. The number of Apps on the store is already up to 800.

yermom
7/17/2008, 06:59 PM
iPint sounds like fun

the one with the Mario sounds might be pretty cool as well

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 08:28 PM
Push has already been explained - so I'll skip over that.

Lott's Bandana - When you installed the 2.0 update, how did it screw up your home screen organization? When I updated my original one, I don't remember if it did or not - but I know that once it syched (which was immediately after the update) everything was back to normal.

Did you do the update on a computer you don't normally use?

Do you use POP or IMAP for email?

I had 5 screen pages, after the update I had two...all the icons scrunched up together. Had to break them out again...separate the wx icons from the camera/photo icons, etc.

I used my normal 'puter to update.

POP.

Great info above...I'll check out the app store when I have some down time (not posting on SF, ha!)

Sooner_Havok
7/17/2008, 08:39 PM
I had 5 screen pages, after the update I had two...all the icons scrunched up together. Had to break them out again...separate the wx icons from the camera/photo icons, etc.

I used my normal 'puter to update.

POP.

Great info above...I'll check out the app store when I have some down time (not posting on SF, ha!)

I am guessing you had a few icons on different pages didn't you. Yeah, when you update in puts all your icons into as few pages as possible.

hurricane'bone
7/17/2008, 09:21 PM
I'd imagine the reason it cleared out inbox is because the 2.0 firmware required a complete wipe, but I'm still surprised that they weren't stored on your iPhone restore.

Some of my favorite Apps:

NetNewsWire - Mobile RSS reader, can sync with their website so you don't re-read the same feeds

MLB At Bat - Gives you score updates and the ability to watch highlights from the game. Even if the game is still in progress. (Hoping the NBA and NFL at least come up with something similar.)

Remote - Controls your iTunes library and Apple TV (Only works over wi-fi)

Jott - Voice Note software that will transcribe your notes into a to-do list

Pandora - Works exactly like the website

AOL Radio - Listen to Internet radio stations as well as CBS Radio stations from across the country

Box Office - Movie showtimes sorted by Rotten Tomatoes Rankings

Mobile News Network - AP Wire, includes local wire.

Facebook - App that works like the website

and MLB At Bat is the only one of those that costs anything, and its 5 bucks.

Frozen Sooner
7/17/2008, 09:25 PM
mobileme is up and running smoothly now?

(counts what's in his wallet)

Hmmm. May have to sign up. :D

Lott's Bandana
7/18/2008, 10:31 AM
I'd imagine the reason it cleared out inbox is because the 2.0 firmware required a complete wipe, but I'm still surprised that they weren't stored on your iPhone restore.

Some of my favorite Apps:

NetNewsWire - Mobile RSS reader, can sync with their website so you don't re-read the same feeds

MLB At Bat - Gives you score updates and the ability to watch highlights from the game. Even if the game is still in progress. (Hoping the NBA and NFL at least come up with something similar.)

Remote - Controls your iTunes library and Apple TV (Only works over wi-fi)

Jott - Voice Note software that will transcribe your notes into a to-do list

Pandora - Works exactly like the website

AOL Radio - Listen to Internet radio stations as well as CBS Radio stations from across the country

Box Office - Movie showtimes sorted by Rotten Tomatoes Rankings

Mobile News Network - AP Wire, includes local wire.

Facebook - App that works like the website

and MLB At Bat is the only one of those that costs anything, and its 5 bucks.

Great recs...

I'm going to try Shazam now...supposedly you can hold your iPhone up to the radio and it will tell you the name of the song, artist, etc...that seems pretty dammm cool to me. Hope it works!

Edit: OK, I played Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love and it nailed it!! Plus, it gives a link to iTunes if I want to download it. This app rocks!!

yermom
7/18/2008, 10:52 AM
there is another one that you can hum or sing to and it will name the song