PDA

View Full Version : The British Open

r5TPsooner
7/17/2008, 06:53 AM
Damn, I almost forgot it started today. Need to get the TIVO fired up.

I'm gonna go with Garcia or Els.

I'll post a poll later today after I see the 1st leader board.

Curly Bill
7/17/2008, 06:58 AM
I need to watch me some British Open as well. With Tiger out of action I might can even stand to watch with the sound on. ;)

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 07:23 AM
TNT always has great opening vignettes to their telecasts, and this one is no exception. The script on this one is meh, but the camera shots are world-class and makes me so happy to have an HD-DVR to a 52" HD wunderkind.

If you are DVR'ing this, don't skip through the opening...beautiful.

r5TPsooner
7/17/2008, 08:04 AM
Oh.........

the weather outside is frightful.

Phil at +infinity.

Boomer.....
7/17/2008, 08:25 AM
Els and Singh both in the clubhouse with a +10.

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 08:33 AM
The old fella from Kansas is doing well...must have practiced some at Prairie Dunes in February!

r5TPsooner
7/17/2008, 09:38 AM
Kim might be America's only hope after day one.

badger
7/17/2008, 09:53 AM
It's not the shoes... it's gotta be the putter. (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159515&hl=anthony+kim+putter,+boomer+sooner)

Mjcpr
7/17/2008, 01:39 PM
Some interesting names at or near the top of the leaderboard.

Rocco, GREG NORMAN!, David Duval, Tom Watson, AK.

Fugue
7/17/2008, 02:12 PM
and Phil shot a 79!

I watched part of the telecast this morning before I came to work - looked pretty nasty to me.

JLEW1818
7/17/2008, 02:21 PM
It seemed like there was hardly any advertisement since Tiger was not in it. Anybody else notice that?

SoonerBOI
7/17/2008, 05:17 PM
and Phil shot a 79!

I watched part of the telecast this morning before I came to work - looked pretty nasty to me.

Absolutely shocking weather for golf, and the scores reflected that, especially for the early starters. Lets hope tomorrow can bring some better conditions and better scores along with it. I need good scores for my fantasy golf team.:D

olevetonahill
7/17/2008, 06:13 PM
Does the Ball Bounce Funny ?

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 06:47 AM
Greg Norman, another good round. Furyk hanging around. hard to know how the later scores will be. it doesn't appear to be as nasty weather-wise as yesterday, but everybody still has their rainsuit on and breezy.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 07:07 AM
Kim +3 today, through 15. +5 overall.

umbrellas are out.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 08:08 AM
Kim bogeys 18 for +6 for the tournament. projected cut at +7 right now.

r5TPsooner
7/18/2008, 08:12 AM
I'd love to see Norman win it. Probably won't happen, but anything is possible.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 08:19 AM
I'd love to see Norman win it. Probably won't happen, but anything is possible.

yeah, it would have to be pretty sweet for him since so many of his near misses with last round leads in a major seem to overshadow the ones he did win.

and, it would be nice to see an old guy win it. because, whoever does win will have to deal with the "Tiger wasn't in it" factor....like the Rockets when Jordan retired. For instance, for Sergio, it would almost make him take more crap in the media if he *actually* won the major Eldrick didn't play.

r5TPsooner
7/18/2008, 09:41 AM
The conditions look almost as bad as yesterday. Mickelson is acting and playing like he's getting on a plane for the United States this evening.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 10:06 AM
The conditions look almost as bad as yesterday. Mickelson is acting and playing like he's getting on a plane for the United States this evening.

and judging from some of the quotes from Boo Weak-ly and Pat Perez and some other American PGA Tourbots....he's not alone in flying the white flag with the weather.

and you wonder why we get fannie whipped in the Ryder Cup for the last decade when our guys act like pampering, target golf, and the benjamins are the only thing they understand. a little adversity and they turtle up.

Birkdale must really set up great for camera-work because some of these shots of the dunes and rugged terrain, blind shots, really nice. you get a decent feel for TV of the undulation of the land...and kind of what links golf looks like on the ground with a club in your hand and a 30 mile an hour wind in your face.**

**this will surely cue some responses from the usual suspects and Masters humpers.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 10:43 AM
holy cow, David Duval on TV sighting!

r5TPsooner
7/18/2008, 11:02 AM

Woo woo.

Cam
7/18/2008, 11:06 AM

A double bonus is that his game's not puking up a double bogey followed by a triple bogey.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 11:26 AM
A double bonus is that his game's not puking up a double bogey followed by a triple bogey.

he's even through 8, DD is stealing the money.

Scotty Verplank -3 through 14 for the day.

Cam
7/18/2008, 11:45 AM
he's even through 8, DD is stealing the money.

Scotty Verplank -3 through 14 for the day.

Wouldn't it be something if DD and Norman are the final pair on Sunday? Who would've thunk that?

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 12:34 PM
look at Poulter tee off, elevated tee, half blind shot, into that sea of broken mounds and dunes and crazy nonsence....and drive it flat into the knee dump stuff. that's beautiful golf course.

Cam
7/18/2008, 12:36 PM
Lefty's in danger of stratagizin his way to missin the cut.

How bout a 65 for Camillio(sp)? That's one hell of a round.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 12:43 PM
KJ Choi, right there. he's got some game. really compact, solid swing.

it would be great/huger than Star Wars for the Asian game if a Korean or Japanese player won a major.

Newbomb Turk
7/18/2008, 01:17 PM
Is there a golf tournament going on?

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 01:26 PM
if Tiger is playing he's at least 20 under.

King Crimson
7/18/2008, 03:55 PM
no Tiger, no interest from the average SO "golf" fan. that's some shameful ****. good tournament setting up here on a great track. but no one cares.

you like the star and not the game, it's OK. just admit it.

the check-out magazine racks at the grocery are made for people like you.

"Tiger gives birth to an Alien who vacations with a topless Sienna Miller!"

"Who's pregnant?"

"5000 Sex Tricks He Won't Ask for but he really wants....and will still repect you in the morning."

KC//CRIMSON
7/18/2008, 09:55 PM

That's just crazy. Holy Robert Duval!

And Norman? Greg F-ing Norman?

That new poon he married must be doing wonders.

OUTromBoNado
7/19/2008, 01:54 AM
Those pros are so damn lucky to have the marshalls out there to find their balls in that thick rough. There's a course here in Amarillo that has very deep rough only 4-5 feet outside the fairway. Not as thick as the British Open stuff, but it's still really bad. Ball just sink right down into them. If you hit out the fairway, consider it gone.

Last time I played there, I lost 15 balls in 9 holes because I couldn't find them in that rough. If I did find them and tried to hit a shot, it hurt my hand something awful.

I bet if someone got onto that course at night with a clear sky and a full moon, they would never have to buy a box of balls again.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 06:25 AM
Ben Curtis seems like kind of a doofus. his NFL gear is lame-O, to free-style on the Rachel Ray lingo stylistic. his wife has big knockers. he played a nice Open when we won though Tho-mas Bjorn choked his guts out.

man, it's windy. i love it.

r5TPsooner
7/19/2008, 10:16 AM
+5 might be a winning score in these conditions.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 10:25 AM
+5 might be a winning score in these conditions.

yeah, but that's good stuff. that's the way it is. either pack it in or play the game of golf. forget these turf farm PGA corporate courses. play the game.

r5TPsooner
7/19/2008, 10:32 AM
I have no problem with links style golf and these types of elements, but I wouldn't play in them myself unless I was being paid to do so.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 10:33 AM
Furyk and Harrington look pretty good to me. these are guys who can make pars and grind, this weather isn't anything Padraig's never seen.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 10:39 AM
I have no problem with links style golf and these types of elements, but I wouldn't play in them myself unless I was being paid to do so.

who cares if you have a problem with it (Thunder), as if your judgment on "links golf" mattered. you can't tell me you don't have the sack to just up and play one day in the wind and rain at Carnoustie and enjoy the hell out it? just to do it.

Mjcpr
7/19/2008, 10:43 AM
who cares if you have a problem with it (Thunder), as if your judgment on "links golf" mattered. you can't tell me you don't have the sack to just up and play one day in the wind and rain at Carnoustie and enjoy the hell out it? just to do it.

Why is not okay for him, or anyone else to give their opinion but it is okay for you to warble on about how much you like it, it's the way golf is supposed to be, PGA corporate courses blah blah blah? You do not hesitate to state your opinion on everything and how everyone else's is stupid or wrong, r5 and everyone else should be allowed to do the same until this becomes the King Crimson Fans.com of which you would likely be the sole participant.

Scott D
7/19/2008, 10:48 AM
hope Duval can keep playing solid for the rest of the weekend. Was nice to see him make the cut.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 10:49 AM
Why is not okay for him, or anyone else to give their opinion but it is okay for you to warble on about how much you like it, it's the way golf is supposed to be, PGA corporate courses blah blah blah? You do not hesitate to state your opinion on everything and how everyone else's is stupid or wrong, r5 and everyone else should be allowed to do the same until this becomes the King Crimson Fans.com of which you would likely be the sole participant.

have fun with that. you really taught me a lesson.

put me on your ignore list.

SoonerBorn68
7/19/2008, 11:06 AM
have fun with that. you really taught me a lesson.

put me on your ignore list.

Oh snap! What wit! Wow, you must have thought hard on that one. :rolleyes:

I came here to read about a little golf, not to have King Crimson ramble on like some Kansas City *****.

King Crimson
7/19/2008, 11:08 AM
have it yer way. enjoy Mike Tirico.

r5TPsooner
7/19/2008, 11:24 AM

Sorry KC, I won't be baited into a fight on a message board. If you want to be rude and insulting to me and others go right ahead.

Personally, I won't be a part of it. So, you can try and bait someone else into a moronic discussion of which type of golf is better.

Obviously, you're so hard headed or in need of a fight on a message board, that diplomatic discussion on the matter with YOU is an utterly useless and a waste of time.

lexsooner
7/19/2008, 12:46 PM
OU's AK is back in contention, tied for fifth with a +1 71 today, only four off the lead. He's still a long shot, but the way the conditions are, the leader(s) could drop a couple of more shots by the end of today's round , and he has a shot tomorrow. What a talent.

KC//CRIMSON
7/19/2008, 12:48 PM
and Bobby Duval slips back into obscurity. damn.

r5TPsooner
7/19/2008, 04:37 PM
If Norman plays like he did today, I like his chances tomorrow.

tulsaoilerfan
7/19/2008, 06:47 PM
It would be great for golf if Norman can pull this off

sooneron
7/19/2008, 07:20 PM
I like the set up heading into tomorrow. You have the aging old dude, the reigning champ, the guys that are always near the hunt (KJ)(Furyk). The dude looking for some cred (Ben) and Anthony. Nice championship shaping up in Birkdale. I would love to play this track (in slightly better conditions mind you) it would be sweet.

I have ALWAYS been a fan of Greg. Even back at Augusta in 86.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/19/2008, 08:28 PM
king, cool it.

Lott's Bandana
7/19/2008, 11:26 PM
TNT pwns ESPN on ABCDEF.

The first hour of network coverage hardly showed any golf at all. When they did, they couldn't find the ball or were shooting too zoomed in. Then it was a half dozen hours of pretty much 3 groups. They don't know what to do without Tiger.

On the other hand, Baker-Finch has been pretty insightful and TNT shows many more golfers playing their game and much less commercials. Their videography is also top-notch.

Side note: Michelle Wie is T-2 going into Sunday...on the verge of winning for the first time on the LPGA. She's been off the radar for a while and frankly, I didn't miss her, but it would be cool to see her win and validate all that natural talent.

Mjcpr
7/19/2008, 11:36 PM
She got DQ'd for not signing her scorecard on Friday. I root for her, but she can't seem to get out of her own way. One of these days, she'll win a tournament.

Lott's Bandana
7/19/2008, 11:38 PM
She got DQ'd for not signing her scorecard on Friday. I root for her, but she can't seem to get out of her own way. One of these days, she'll win a tournament.

Now that's a black cloud.

r5TPsooner
7/20/2008, 12:56 AM
Now that's a black cloud.

No, that's being stoopid.

Back to the Open. I hope that Norman wins as I've always been a fan of his. I hope that he doesn't Duval us tomorrow.

Scott D
7/20/2008, 12:59 AM
No, that's being stoopid.

Back to the Open. I hope that Norman wins as I've always been a fan of his. I hope that he doesn't Duval us tomorrow.

pretty sure these days it's no longer Duvaling us...it's Mickelsoning us ;)

r5TPsooner
7/20/2008, 01:06 AM
pretty sure these days it's no longer Duvaling us...it's Mickelsoning us ;)

Mickelson sucks. He's washed up, done. He'll never win another major again.

Mark

It

Down.

r5TPsooner
7/20/2008, 10:53 AM
I wish that Norman's caddie would snap his driver in half!

King Crimson
7/20/2008, 12:59 PM
sos, outside tiger, the last back to back winner of the same major is whom?

Curtis Strange winning the US Open two years in a row in the late 80's/early 90's?

tulsaoilerfan
7/20/2008, 01:58 PM
sos, outside tiger, the last back to back winner of the same major is whom?

Curtis Strange winning the US Open two years in a row in the late 80's/early 90's?

That would be my guess also, and before that you have Watson with 2 British Open's in the early 80's

King Crimson
7/20/2008, 02:08 PM
i looked it up, and it's 88 and 89 for Curtis' US Open wins at Oak Hill and CC of Brookline.

however, Nick Faldo in 89, 90 at the Master's appears to be the non-Tiger answer.

Woods has done it at the Masters, British and twice at the PGA.

edit: additionally, if Woods were able to come back for it he would be going for 3 in a row at the PGA.

King Crimson
7/20/2008, 02:52 PM
just a side comment from the above "research" Whistling Straits is on the PGA docket twice in the next 7 years...which, possibly, might bode poorly for Oak Tree's renewed interest in getting a major since WS is clearly "State of the Art" Pete Dye these days.

i don't really see OT as a US Open type venue. though, i tell you if the wind blew and the USGA grew the rough out at OT....that would some real all day scrambling for 79's type hard. though, also, the rebuilt greens are not nearly as severe as the original ones.

when i was 17 i was playing to about a 4-5 hc at the Trails and Twin Hills (and The Trails was MUCH harder then that it is now)....and i played Oak Tree the first time and shot 93 and hit a lot of good shots. felt like i played pretty well afterwards, sitting in the clubhouse.

i've probably played there about 15-20 times and there some holes i 've never even sniffed making a par. 2,9,12,14,15.

tulsaoilerfan
7/20/2008, 06:55 PM
Greg Norman should have been one of the top 4 or 5 players in history, but he always gagged on major Sundays at some point or another