PDA

View Full Version : GIS

Penguin
7/16/2008, 04:32 PM
Well, since my professional career is still sitting in the doldrums, I am strongly considering going to community college and getting an associates degree in Geographic Information Science. It seems like that would blend well with my meteorology degree.

I have heard some great things about this field. Does anyone know specifically about this career field and if it will continue to experience explosive growth like it is now?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/16/2008, 05:07 PM
Well, since my professional career is still sitting in the doldrums, I am strongly considering going to community college and getting an associates degree in Geographic Information Science. It seems like that would blend well with my meteorology degree.

I have heard some great things about this field. Does anyone know specifically about this career field and if it will continue to experience explosive growth like it is now?You can win big on Cash Cab on the Discovery channel. They ask a lot of Geography Q's.

Whet
7/16/2008, 09:05 PM
do you like to make maps?

royalfan5
7/16/2008, 09:06 PM
My experiences with GIS made me want to stick a fork in my eye if that helps.

Whet
7/16/2008, 09:08 PM
do you like to search Google Earth?

sooneron
7/16/2008, 09:10 PM
I thought this was going to have dirty pictures from a Google Image Search! ****ing penguin.

Whet
7/16/2008, 09:12 PM
Well, Penguin can practice finding such items.... to see if he likes doing that kind of stuff...

Fraggle145
7/16/2008, 09:34 PM
Using ArcGIS can be a rather tortuous experience... You can make some cool maps and it is a good way to look at data. It should be beneficial for meteorology considering that the Oklahoma Mesone (http://www.mesonet.org/)t data is all in GIS I think. Just about every state out there is trying to copy that as a model.

Penguin
7/16/2008, 11:34 PM
Well, I like treasure maps and bottles of rum.

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

StoopTroup
7/16/2008, 11:39 PM
I knew Johnny Depp was a Sooner Fan.

SoonerStormchaser
7/16/2008, 11:43 PM
Well...GIS kinda helps me in my job...then again, so does meteorology...

StoopTroup
7/16/2008, 11:47 PM
Can you track a cougar with it?

SoonerStormchaser
7/16/2008, 11:49 PM
Worked for me...

StoopTroup
7/16/2008, 11:58 PM
:D

I knew you had help.

mdklatt
7/17/2008, 12:19 AM

Very much so. I need to get around to learning to do more than hate ArcGIS from an IT perspective, like learning to hate it from a user's perspective.

I have heard some great things about this field. Does anyone know specifically about this career field and if it will continue to experience explosive growth like it is now?

It's not for everybody. I would love to do more with it as a tool, but I would probably shoot myself and my coworkers (not in that order) if that's all I did all day. Being a GIS grunt seems like a very tedious existence, but if you get into all the cool customization it could probably be a lot of fun. As I hinted at above, the de facto standard, ArcGIS, is a royal pain in the ***. It can do some seriously cool stuff, but you're going to spend a lot of hours cursing at it.

I imagine there's a ton of work for GIS/meteorology people in the renewables industry in H-town right now.

P.S. Taking a class is barely going to scratch the surface of what you'll need to do with GIS in something like meteorology, but I'm sure you'll be a whiz at doing plats and mapping sewer lines when it's over. But hey, you gotta start somewhere.

StoopTroup
7/17/2008, 12:24 AM
Back in HS I dated this gal for a little while and her Dad drew Geological Maps for Oil Companies I think.

He had a nice House near Utica Square drove a new Vette and his Wife took Private Tennis lessons at Southern Hills.

I think he was doing pretty well.

That was before the fancy schamncy computer stuff.

He did it by hand people!

He had these drawing tables that nobody...I mean nobody was to get near. :D

I was glad to help keep his Daughter busy while he sharpened his pencils.

mdklatt
7/17/2008, 12:25 AM
It should be beneficial for meteorology considering that the Oklahoma Mesone (http://www.mesonet.org/)t data is all in GIS I think.

They have their own custom applications for data analysis and display; I'm not sure how much is GIS based. GIS is certainly a Next Big Thing in meteorology. The GIS sessions at AMS are growing in extent and audience popularity every year.

Penguin
7/17/2008, 12:34 AM
I imagine there's a ton of work for GIS/meteorology people in the renewables industry in H-town right now.

P.S. Taking a class is barely going to scratch the surface of what you'll need to do with GIS in something like meteorology, but I'm sure you'll be a whiz at doing plats and mapping sewer lines when it's over. But hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Yeah, there are tons of jobs everywhere. I think that I've gone as far as I can go with my meteorology degree alone (at least in the private sector). I'm hoping this will open the door to a M-F 9-5 job.

This thing is a 2 year program, so I hope that I will be doing more than just scratching the surface.

StoopTroup
7/17/2008, 12:35 AM
I also had this Teacher who taught strictly Geometry.

He had a PHD in Meterology.

Authur Howe was his name.

He could start speaking and at least half the room would be either asleep or comotose and drolling within 5 minutes.

If you could stay awake long enough you could actaully see people hurt themselves as they passed out.

We called him Mr. Monotone. :D

mdklatt
7/17/2008, 12:47 AM
This thing is a 2 year program, so I hope that I will be doing more than just scratching the surface.

You'll do more than scratch the surface, but not with the stuff that's useful for meteorology. In my somewhat limited exposure to the GIS community, it's dominated by city planning office types. I imagine the training programs are geared to that (and the software is to a large extent as well). I think the newest version is different, but for a long time the ESRI stuff had no concept of 4D data.

SoonerJack
7/17/2008, 08:19 AM
My division of GE programs ArcGIS extensions tailored for the gas pipeline industry. Good stuff.

mdklatt
7/17/2008, 08:24 AM
My division of GE programs ArcGIS extensions tailored for the gas pipeline industry. Good stuff.

I would rather develop extensions for ArcGIS than use the damn thing. It is a hateful piece of software.

ESRI has been at the top of my DIAF list for a long time.

OUWxGuesser
7/17/2008, 09:23 AM
Two words: SAVE OFTEN... if you use anything in the Arc line of GIS software.

mdklatt
7/17/2008, 09:25 AM
Two words: SAVE OFTEN... if you use anything in the Arc line of GIS software.

And hope that the save "takes". :mad:

Tulsa_Fireman
7/17/2008, 09:28 AM
Use your meteorology degree to get a job at KOTV Channel 6.

Then hook me up with Katie Green.

Who I will then promptly bang.

Wash, rinse, repeat. CAREER MATERIAL. You don't have to thank me for the advice.