PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Ranks the Big 12 Coaches as Players

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/16/2008, 03:07 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

An old adage in sports is that the best athletes typically aren't the best coaches. Something about learning to overcome limitations is thought to develop acumen among many journeyman players. It's presumed that it's something star players don't possess.

With that in mind, here's a subjective ranking of the college careers of the 12 current Big 12 head coaches.

1. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State: A four-year starter at Oklahoma State, he remains the most decorated quarterback in school history.

2. Gary Pinkel, Missouri: Two-time all-conference tight end and an honorable mention All-American at Kent State.

3. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: Four-year starter at defensive back at Iowa, including two seasons as an All-Big Ten selection and an honorable mention All-American selection as a senior.

4. Bo Pelini, Nebraska: Four-year letterwinner at free safety at Ohio State, including three-time selection to the Academic All-Big Ten team. As a senior, he won the "Bo Rein Award" given annually to the most inspirational Buckeye player.

5. Mack Brown, Texas: Two-year letterman as a running back at Florida State whose career was cut short by knee injuries. He started his college football career at Vanderbilt.

6. Art Briles, Baylor: Played wide receiver at Houston, cracking the playing rotation for the 1976 team that made the Cotton Bowl in its first season in the Southwest Conference.

7. Dan Hawkins, Colorado: Bullish blocking fullback was a four-year letterman at California-Davis.

8. Ron Prince, Kansas State: Played two seasons at Appalachian State after two seasons as an all-conference tackle at Dodge City (Kan.) Community College.

9. Mike Sherman, Texas A&M: Played defensive end and offensive tackle at Central Connecticut State University.

10. Gene Chizik, Iowa State: His career as a linebacker ended prematurely at Florida after he contracted an unusual career-ending illness that doctors initially feared was colon cancer.

11. (tie) Mike Leach, Texas Tech: Didn't play college football, spending much of his time playing club rugby and observing LaVelle Edwards' practices at BYU.

11. (tie) Mark Mangino, Kansas: Didn't play college football at Youngstown State.

It's easy to be the most prolific passer in Aggy history when defenses are constantly planning to stop the run with Barry Sanders in the backfield. PA Fade, PA Cross, PA Post...dropped pass in the end zone. And I'm sure Mark Mangino ate some players along the way...does that count for anything?

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2008, 03:21 PM
Bo Pelini did have a pro career.

Cam
7/16/2008, 03:24 PM
So being a two time all conference at Kent State is more of an achievement than a two time all conference in the Big 10 and an HM AA?

Doesn't matter who's who in that equation IMO.

sooner94
7/16/2008, 03:58 PM
So being a two time all conference at Kent State is more of an achievement than a two time all conference in the Big 10 and an HM AA?

Doesn't matter who's who in that equation IMO.

Yeah...I can't understand that either. I actually think Stoops should be at the top of the list. Why does being the most decorated QB ever at OSU mean anything? Oh...because he was better than Jim Traber.;)

kbsooner21
7/16/2008, 04:00 PM
Oh...because he was better than Jim Traber.;)

Awesome!!! :D

badger
7/16/2008, 05:04 PM
Obligatory "OSU actually wins at something," "Well, he IS a man, after all" "Pokes play easy opponents which ran up his stats" "Mullet for the win!" "Too bad OSU will never be at the top of the Big 12 in anything cept rasslin'... actually, that isn't too bad." "How dare he rank Stoops No. 3, boycott boycott boycott!" "Let's buy season tickets so we can attend the Badlem game! Oh wait, we're OU fans so we don't have to"

Bone
7/16/2008, 05:25 PM
Of note regarding Gundy: The guys on the animal were talking yesterday about how Gundy, nor any other OSU QB for that matter, has ever even been first-team all Big 8 / Big 12. I can't vouch for the validity, but it sure makes it difficult to place Gundy at #1 when he wasn't even regarded as the best QB in his conference when he played. I think this is just the usual QB > all scenario.

yermom
7/16/2008, 05:28 PM
anyone that gets OSU to 10 wins is pretty darn good

soonerinabilene
7/16/2008, 05:36 PM

The world record for the biggest turd ever is still just a gigantic hunk of sh*t.

JLEW1818
7/16/2008, 05:40 PM
Look at leach and mangino mauahahahha

47straight
7/16/2008, 07:33 PM
Leach didn't even play high school ball, from what I understand.

soonerfan28
7/16/2008, 07:37 PM
If I'm not mistaken wasn't Leach a law school grad.

Curly Bill
7/16/2008, 07:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken wasn't Leach a law school grad.

yep...Pepperdine

sooner59
7/16/2008, 07:47 PM
Per Wikipedia:

"In 1986, Leach earned a law degree from Pepperdine University. Leach is also one of the most prominent graduates of the United States Sports Academy, from which he earned a Master's of Sports Science/Coaching in 1988."

snrsinica
7/16/2008, 07:48 PM
Keywords: contracted; colon

sooneron
7/16/2008, 07:53 PM

Handing the ball to a guy that averaged over 200 yds a game didn't hurt. Gundy was pretty good, but not that good.

bluedogok
7/16/2008, 08:06 PM
Gundy had a bunch of good parts around him during his time there as a player but he was still a good player. In addition to Sanders there was Thurman Thomas, Hart Lee Dyke$, and other good (not great) players and a solid O-line.

If they would have had anything resembling a good defense in 1988 they could have contended for a title, OU and Nebraska just outpointed them...of course Garrett Limbrick's mouth and Brent "OOPS" Parker's hands helped out.

JLEW1818
7/16/2008, 08:15 PM
Can anybody find any film of Bob Stoops in college ?

yermom
7/16/2008, 08:50 PM
i can't remember where i was the other day in Norman that had it, but there is pic of him and Billy Sims playing on Owen Field

it's pretty flippin' sweet

yermom
7/16/2008, 08:59 PM
here are a few pics of both of them in that game:

http://craigman.smugmug.com/gallery/427563_HHEhG#17160857_uBMLk

tulsaoilerfan
7/16/2008, 09:31 PM
Of note regarding Gundy: The guys on the animal were talking yesterday about how Gundy, nor any other OSU QB for that matter, has ever even been first-team all Big 8 / Big 12. I can't vouch for the validity, but it sure makes it difficult to place Gundy at #1 when he wasn't even regarded as the best QB in his conference when he played. I think this is just the usual QB > all scenario.

Cause everyone knew that Jamelle was the best in the Big 8; i'm assuming Steve Taylor beat out Gundy in 88?

tulsaoilerfan
7/16/2008, 09:33 PM
And, as much as i don't like Gundy, the guy was a pretty good QB at Boone State

Curly Bill
7/16/2008, 09:57 PM
Ditka could take all those fools...

...at once. :D

goingoneight
7/16/2008, 10:14 PM
That Iowa game link was awesome. :D

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/16/2008, 11:36 PM

Agreed 100%. I remember a few years ago I saw a posed picture of Bob and Mike in Iowa uniforms at Al Eschbach's place on Campus Corner...but these are the first in-game pictures I've ever seen of him. The fact that it's against OU makes it a million times cooler.

OUMallen
7/17/2008, 10:21 AM
Pinkel? I'd drop him to 4th.

Outopia
7/17/2008, 12:29 PM
Gundy had a bunch of good parts around him during his time there as a player but he was still a good player. In addition to Sanders there was Thurman Thomas, Hart Lee Dyke$, and other good (not great) players and a solid O-line.

If they would have had anything resembling a good defense in 1988 they could have contended for a title, OU and Nebraska just outpointed them...of course Garrett Limbrick's mouth and Brent "OOPS" Parker's hands helped out.

Without all those guys, Gundys last year was not-so-hot as I recall.

Animal Mother
7/17/2008, 04:38 PM

We were sweating like hookers in church in the stands of that game. We drank about a fifth of Bacardi 151 between three of us because we thought we would romp. Iowa and Stoops came to play that day. We came to fumble.

bluedogok
7/17/2008, 09:24 PM
Well, he is still probably the best QB that they have had outside of Rusty Hilger. We know that Traber/Nutt weren't as good.

KingBarry
7/18/2008, 09:25 AM
Did ANYBODY notice that the "best" player is arguably the worst coach? (Now that Franchione is gone.)

SicEmBaylor
7/20/2008, 11:10 PM
If GuyMo were still our coach, I dare say he'd top this list.

OSUAggie
7/20/2008, 11:32 PM

'89, the year without all those guys, was his best year statistically. The team went 4-7ish.

I don't think he was all that great, but he is the all-time leading passer in the history of the Big 8. I realize that's a bit like being the tallest midget, but whatever.