yermom
7/15/2008, 09:34 PM
for basic?

Melo
7/15/2008, 09:35 PM
for basic?

No, for the SO sleepover.
Cmon.
I dont even post anything here, unless it has to do with my military endeavor.
;)

SoonerStormchaser
7/15/2008, 09:41 PM
How's the PT'ing coming? And what's your AFSC?

olevetonahill
7/15/2008, 09:42 PM
Cmon.
;)

You Need to start Posting More :P
Grats Little One I wish you the Best:cool:

Melo
7/15/2008, 09:45 PM
How's the PT'ing coming? And what's your AFSC?

Funny you should ask!
I got highly unmotivated working out. So now I pretty much have to start all over again. :(

My AFSC is 9TG58, which I dont think I am too happy with. I just dont know how it works. I thought I would be given a job. But instead, I waited around on an open contract. Im afraid Im going to get stuck with a job I dont want.

olevetonahill
7/15/2008, 09:48 PM
Didnt you ask for a specific Mos?

SoonerStormchaser
7/15/2008, 09:54 PM
Ok...what's 9TG58? That's like me telling you I'm a 12R3A.

Melo
7/15/2008, 09:56 PM
General 58 aptitude

SoonerStormchaser
7/15/2008, 09:57 PM
What the hell does that mean?

Lott's Bandana
7/15/2008, 09:58 PM
Vet was a BR549...he did okay with that, took a "shine" to it iffen you know what I mean.

SoonerStormchaser
7/15/2008, 09:58 PM
12R3A= AWACS Nav.

Melo
7/15/2008, 10:02 PM
What the hell does that mean?

Zomg. ;)

Its an open general contract. Meaning I have no job. And "apparently" when I get into my second week of basic, I will be able to pick my job from there. The 58 means I am over-qualified for any job with a min. requirement lower than a 58.

SoonerStormchaser
7/15/2008, 10:09 PM
Oh ok...
So you still have some choices! And that's not a bad thing.

Come be an AST, CSO, ART or CDMT up here with me!

yermom
7/15/2008, 10:14 PM
Cmon.
;)

i couldn't remember if you had started already or of you were shipping out fo realz

good luck

Melo
7/15/2008, 10:17 PM
Oh ok...
So you still have some choices! And that's not a bad thing.

Come be an AST, CSO, ART or CDMT up here with me!

What are those?
And yea, I looked at a list (which Im not sure is accurate) but if it is, there is 18 jobs available to me, most of which were what I wanted, anyways. I just have heard too many scare stories of people getting 'stuck' with jobs they dont want. :(

Czar Soonerov
7/15/2008, 10:22 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTURTbyslXQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTURTbyslXQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SouthFortySooner
7/15/2008, 10:39 PM
My son brought home a video of his basic training experience. They like run and stuff. :D

olevetonahill
7/15/2008, 11:04 PM
Vet was a BR549...he did okay with that, took a "shine" to it iffen you know what I mean.

But I had to do that recon shat to Find the recipe !:eek:

SoonerStormchaser
7/15/2008, 11:05 PM
What are those?
And yea, I looked at a list (which Im not sure is accurate) but if it is, there is 18 jobs available to me, most of which were what I wanted, anyways. I just have heard too many scare stories of people getting 'stuck' with jobs they dont want. :(

All the enlisted positions on the AWACS (basically, you fix stuff on the plane and also assign tracks to pretty planes on the scope).

But no, the USAF normally doesn't assign people to stuff they don't want (unless it's me vs. a Gunship)...remember, they want to keep you for as long as possible.

7/15/2008, 11:07 PM
Good for you, Melo. Make the most of this opportunity afforded you in life.

StoopTroup
7/16/2008, 12:12 AM
Hey Melo...

Thanks for letting us know your date.

We all wish you the best experience possible.

Don't stress that's what posers do and your no poser.

GO GET EM GIRL!

ST

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2008, 12:24 AM
Whatever you do, don't wind up flying cargo planes full of rubber dog**** out of Hong Kong. I hear that's kind of a bad assignment.

Good luck to you.

r5TPsooner
7/16/2008, 04:05 AM
Best of luck to you.

AlbqSooner
7/16/2008, 06:16 AM
But no, the USAF normally doesn't assign people to stuff they don't want.

LAAWZEEEE! The Air Force is different than when I was in.
Good luck Melo. You are in for a number of new experiences, most of them good. Enjoy as much of it as you can and realize that civilian life also requires enduring a bunch of unpleasantries.;)

Okla-homey
7/16/2008, 06:19 AM
Up We Go...

Congrats. And please remember. You now have the new GI Bill as of the day you complete basic. That means a free bachelors plus free living expenses while in school at any state college or university in the US you decide to attend. helluvadeal.

Okay. here's a tip. Since you'll be at Lackland for Thanksgiving and Christmas, celebrate both holidays before you leave in mid-Nov. It'll take some of the sting out of it. Or heck, I dunno, by the six week point, they might be letting y'all of base on pass at Christmas. Dpn't worry about it. You'll get briefed on all that when the time comes.

Next, that going to basic with an open contract is not a bad thing. particularly since now know have additional motivation to do well. See, outstanding graduates of BMT have additional perks. One of them is choice of job cluster. Or at least that's the way it used to be.

Finally, remember, no matter what job you get, and it is entirely possible you could be given a job you didn't want, do well at that job!. That way, if you end up disliking it and want into something else, you'll have the support of your leadership on your application for cross-training.

One one last thing. Even if you get a "crappy" job, remember this. You signed up in order to grow-up and to help draw a bead on what you wanna be when you grow up. Doing things we don't like, and doing them well, is one of the most effective "grow-up" vehicles ever. And people who maintain a positive attitude, and a cheerful atttitude, even among crappy circumstances, usually go very far in life. I know they go far in the USAF, I spent 23 years in that big blue beyotch and I saw people auger in because they stayed p1ssed about an assignment for too long and it succed being around them. Attitude is about 80% of the game.

Lott's Bandana
7/16/2008, 07:05 AM
Up We Go...

Congrats. And please remember. You now have the new GI Bill as of the day you complete basic. That means a free bachelors plus free living expenses while in school at any state college or university in the US you decide to attend. helluvadeal.

Okay. here's a tip. Since you'll be at Lackland for Thanksgiving and Christmas, celebrate both holidays before you leave in mid-Nov. It'll take some of the sting out of it. Or heck, I dunno, by the six week point, they might be letting y'all of base on pass at Christmas. Dpn't worry about it. You'll get briefed on all that when the time comes.

Next, that going to basic with an open contract is not a bad thing. particularly since now know have additional motivation to do well. See, outstanding graduates of BMT have additional perks. One of them is choice of job cluster. Or at least that's the way it used to be.

Finally, remember, no matter what job you get, and it is entirely possible you could be given a job you didn't want, do well at that job!. That way, if you end up disliking it and want into something else, you'll have the support of your leadership on your application for cross-training.

One one last thing. Even if you get a "crappy" job, remember this. You signed up in order to grow-up and to help draw a bead on what you wanna be when you grow up. Doing things we don't like, and doing them well, is one of the most effective "grow-up" vehicles ever. And people who maintain a positive attitude, and a cheerful atttitude, even among crappy circumstances, usually go very far in life. I know they go far in the USAF, I spent 23 years in that big blue beyotch and I saw people auger in because they stayed p1ssed about an assignment for too long and it succed being around them. Attitude is about 80% of the game.

Melo,

Print out what Homey wrote. Summed up the formula for a successful time serving.

Our country is in a period where, for the first time in it's history, the majority of our goverment's leadership never put their boots on at 2am, stood in the rain guarding concrete, moved every 1-3 years, spent time in other countries carrying our flag on their sleeve...there is a new generation of impressive leadership coming, all with the character-forming experience of "follow-first". You will be a part of this group and your time served will teach you, more than your civilian peers, what is truly important and what isn't.

Fair winds...

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/15/2008, 06:57 AM
I wonder how Melo is doing???

olevetonahill
11/15/2008, 08:09 AM
Im sure she has enjoyed the Life so far .;)
I hope when she Gets a Chance she lets us Know .

soonerboomer93
11/15/2008, 10:17 AM
I wonder how Melo is doing???

she did get engaged before she left

olevetonahill
11/15/2008, 10:19 AM
Yup
Not sure How long she will be , before she can get on the innerwebs .

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2008, 10:39 AM
Not til she finishes basic.

SteelCitySooner
11/15/2008, 11:04 AM
Totally agree with what Homey said! When I went in, I got a job I initially didn't thought sucked...healthcare administration..I was like wtf? I'm a farmboy from Oklahoma, hell make me a mechanic at the least... but not administration!. But after I got over it, I did it and did it well, went to college and got my undergrad, got commissioned in the same field. Now 20 years later, I'm still doing that job in the reserves (in the Army now but that's another story) and love it. Plus, I am working in healthcare as a senior executive at a major hospital network in my civilian job. I fully credit the Air Force for where I am now.

If there is a job available in healthcare, strongly consider it. My oldest son is active duty AF now and he went into Public Health, and he's loving it...and the training directly translates to a civilian job that pays well when he gets out. But like Homey said, whatever you get, do it and do it well. You never know what comes from it.

Congrats again. You have made a great decision and you'll love it. :)

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2008, 11:10 AM
..and the training directly translates to a civilian job that pays well when he gets out.

At least SOME of us get that perk...there ain't much civvie equivalent to a Navigator. :(

OklaPony
11/15/2008, 11:24 AM
At least SOME of us get that perk...there ain't much civvie equivalent to a Navigator. :(
What? No navs in civvie aviation? But, there was one in Airplane! :D

If you're young enough you could probably qualify for ATC school in a heartbeat when you get out. If you got the mindset for it, that can be a great career.

Boffingham
11/15/2008, 11:43 AM
No gunships available?

soonerboomer93
11/15/2008, 01:01 PM
naw, wifey doesn't want him on one :D

he needs to be around for her diaper changes

Okla-homey
11/15/2008, 01:32 PM

Don't you have a met degree? (inferred from your screenname) You could become something useful like a weatherman.

Okla-homey
11/15/2008, 01:33 PM
No gunships available?

that's a long story, but, he says he was offered one, swapped it for the flying geekmobile so he could live in Midwest City. :rolleyes:

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2008, 03:39 PM
that's a long story, but, he says he was offered one, swapped it for the flying geekmobile so he could live in Midwest City. :rolleyes:

I live in Norman...geez!