PDA

View Full Version : Future prospect

boomrsoonr
7/15/2008, 06:00 PM
There's a kid here in Glenpool that the coach is raving about. He's only a Junior this year, but the coach thinks he'll be the best halfback in the State. His name is Alex Rice, 6'0", 264 lbs, #44. Coach even said he's got the best hands on the team and is a great blocker.

So far, only OSU and TU has shown much interest. Maybe after he takes his ACT/SAT tests, the doors will open for him. I sure hope OU doesn't miss out if the Coach is correct.

Have to keep an eye on this kid. His Dad is a huge OU fan. It'll kill him if he winds up in orange.

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 07:40 PM
We need to try and get the DT from Lufkin, i hear he's a stud!

Bone
7/15/2008, 07:55 PM
6' even and 264lbs? There is a reason he isn't getting a lot of attention. He is overweight.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 08:00 PM
What's his name? I know Glenpools's coach and if he's got a kid that good he'll keep him in better shape then that.

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 08:04 PM
Jamarkus McFarland keep an eye on him.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 08:14 PM
Jamarkus McFarland keep an eye on him.

I meant the kid from Glennpool and I know who McFarland is. McFarland and Mcoy would be an awesome duo in the middle.

Eielson
7/15/2008, 09:11 PM
We need to try and get the DT from Lufkin, i hear he's a stud!

Oh really? What makes you think that?

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 09:33 PM
Oh really? What makes you think that?

Just a football name. And the top DT in the nation.

Dan Thompson
7/15/2008, 11:40 PM
Somebody has to take Lane's place at ATM

Curly Bill
7/15/2008, 11:42 PM
There's a kid here in Glenpool that the coach is raving about. He's only a Junior this year, but the coach thinks he'll be the best halfback in the State. His name is Alex Rice, 6'0", 264 lbs, #44. Coach even said he's got the best hands on the team and is a great blocker.

Kid's 6'0" 264...he ain't half of anything. :P

Sooner_09
7/15/2008, 11:47 PM
The kid sounds like he could be a possible fullback prospect.

Curly Bill
7/16/2008, 12:30 AM
I'd need more info before I got at all worked up about a possible recruit. The fact that his coach says he's great, well...what else is he gonna say? Now, if someone on the Sooner staff starts talking him up, or if he has offers from all over the country, or even if Rivals or Scout starts blowing the kid up...but the fact his coach says he's this or that -- not so much.

OU_Sooners75
7/16/2008, 03:28 AM
If he is playing for Glenpool as a Halfback with that size, he must be special. :rolleyes:

If he is as good as the coach says he is, OU would probably recruit him for DE or FB.

setem
7/16/2008, 03:52 AM
You know there are some pretty good tail backs out there who are big dudes.

Jerome Bettis

Jorvorskie Lane

Could you imagine a AD/J Train Combo in our back field?

OU_Sooners75
7/16/2008, 04:24 AM
You know there are some pretty good tail backs out there who are big dudes.

Jerome Bettis

Jorvorskie Lane

Could you imagine a AD/J Train Combo in our back field?

Jorvorskie Lane? Your kidding right?

To even mention him with Bettis is a joke.

Lane has a whopping 2100 yards in 3 seasons. Combined with 44 TDs. He is averaging just 4.63 yards per carry.
Each year he has carried more and more times, but his numbers do not improve much.

The guy is a glorified fullback. He does nothing more than short yardage. He has never been the feature back while at A&M, and he will not be a feature back in the NFL.

Jerome Bettis on the other hand, well, he was a feature back in the NFL for quite sometime!

Face it, the HUGE halfback is basically dead. And Lane is not the one to revive it.

OH and to answer your question. J. Lane would have been a fullback at OU. Maybe even a DLineman.

setem
7/16/2008, 10:28 AM

Lane has a whopping 2100 yards in 3 seasons. Combined with 44 TDs. He is averaging just 4.63 yards per carry.
Each year he has carried more and more times, but his numbers do not improve much.

The guy is a glorified fullback. He does nothing more than short yardage. He has never been the feature back while at A&M, and he will not be a feature back in the NFL.

Jerome Bettis on the other hand, well, he was a feature back in the NFL for quite sometime!

Face it, the HUGE halfback is basically dead. And Lane is not the one to revive it.

OH and to answer your question. J. Lane would have been a fullback at OU. Maybe even a DLineman.

Sheesh...you didn't have to be so mean about it! You cant come to my birthday anymore!

StoopTroup
7/16/2008, 10:45 AM
I hope these all of the kids on High School Teams are getting the help they need to get to the next level.

Some Coaches put way to much on their Star Players and overlook kids who are just now blooming and could become a Div 1 player after attending Jr. College.

Those of you who think getting a Hot Top Recruit who's coming right out of High School is something to wet their pants over need to pay attention to how many guys Stoops, and other really good Coaches, bring in as Juniors.

Lots of these type players don't get enough respect IMHO.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/16/2008, 11:01 AM

I agreee %100.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/16/2008, 11:06 AM
His myspace page says he's only 5'10. Couldn't find a scout or rivals profile.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=131760128

sooneron
7/16/2008, 11:21 AM
He's OK with me, he has Flobots on his Myspace! :D

Eielson
7/16/2008, 02:35 PM
Just a football name. And the top DT in the nation.

Yeah I know. I've checked rivals, too.

soonerfan28
7/17/2008, 10:36 AM
So this kid will probably wind up at Tulsa if anywhere.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/17/2008, 10:45 AM
The running back everyone needs to keep an eye on is camped out comfortably in the friendly confines of Titletown, otherwise known as Midwest City, Oklahoma.

He's a fellow Titan. And his name is David Oku.

snp
7/17/2008, 11:50 AM
The running back everyone needs to keep an eye on is camped out comfortably in the friendly confines of Titletown, otherwise known as Midwest City, Oklahoma.

He's a fellow Titan. And his name is David Oku.

He eliminated OU a few months ago.

boomrsoonr
7/18/2008, 11:14 PM
Sorry for not checking back before now. Been super busy. I oopsed on the kid's weight. He's 6', and 237 lbs. Don't know why 264 stuck in my feeble brain. Still, that's pretty big for a high school junior.

bringit
7/20/2008, 09:13 PM
OU eliminated him a few months ago.

Fixed

Eielson
7/20/2008, 10:48 PM
Fixed

I don't really think that OU would eliminate a guy like Oku. He might have been intimidated, though. Calhoun and Johnson have that effect on people.

picasso
7/22/2008, 12:28 PM

So far, only OSU and TU has shown much interest. Maybe after he takes his ACT/SAT tests, the doors will open for him. I sure hope OU doesn't miss out if the Coach is correct.

Have to keep an eye on this kid. His Dad is a huge OU fan. It'll kill him if he winds up in orange.

Coach Ed came to Hominy my soph year. Great great guy.

soonerfan28
7/22/2008, 05:20 PM
He left my soph year at Hominy for the Glenpool job. He was a great DC and I think after he left we went downhill.

picasso
7/22/2008, 05:31 PM
no doubt about that. Coach D missed him greatly.

soonerfan28
7/22/2008, 06:54 PM
Yea, my senior class was the first in like 25 years to not make the playoffs. We went 1-9.

toast
7/24/2008, 04:02 PM
For what it's worth, Rice will be a senior this year and is a fullback. He is a very good player at the 4A level and Tulsa would be a great opportunity for him if a scholarship is offered.

And as others have posted, Coach Edwards is a great coach and even a better person.