PDA

View Full Version : Which college football team won't live up to expectations?

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 07:53 AM
Now that the college football magazines have been released and everybody has had a chance to see the top 25's. What team is going to be the most disppointing his year. I would have to say Texas. They are in the preseason top 10 every year and this year is no different, however this will be the first year that they don't have double digit wins. I also think West Virginia will slump this year even though they have one of the best QB and O-line's in the nation. Any opinions?

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2008, 08:00 AM
Most polls have Texas out of the top 10. The expectations for this year's Texas team are as low as they have been in probably 6 or 7 years. This year is about getting young players experience and finding gamebreakers. A 10 win season would be exceeding expectations.

If you want a team that is could be a turd in a tuxedo, look no further than the west plains of Texas. Sand aggy is a trendy, national, "look out for these guys".. they have a QB who threw for a bajillion yards and wide receiver who will catch 300 balls this year... and their defense is now for real. Yeah right.

Now.. with everyone you have back, will it be a disappointing year for OU if you aren't playing for the MNC?

olevetonahill
7/15/2008, 08:25 AM
EVERY year that we dont Play for the Crystal is a disapointing year :P

Miko
7/15/2008, 08:28 AM
will it be a disappointing year for OU if you aren't playing for the MNC?

For most of us, not playing for the MNC any year is something of a let down.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 08:30 AM
I agree that they seem to be the trendy pick, but Tech is ranked 16,18,&20 and Texas is ranked 8,11,&11 by Lindy's, Athlon and Sporting News and ESPN is the only one to have Texas ranked lower at #11 to Tech's #8. In the end it's Texas and if they don't have at least 10 wins then they are a disappointment. Nobody really expects Tech's D to be good.

soonerinabilene
7/15/2008, 08:39 AM
In the end it's Texas and if they don't have at least 10 wins then they are a disappointment. Nobody really expects Tech's D to be good.

srsly dude, you are starting to sound like a poke. The biggest horn fan on the board just said 10 wins would be a huge surprise. Quit saying its Texas just to say something bad about Texas. Lids Tech comment was right on. Watch Espn sometime. They are pimping Tech as a dark horse MNC contender.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 09:02 AM
Does anybody really expect that Tech's defense is going to be good. They have never had a defense good enough to get them to the Big 12 championship and especially not the national. My point is that everybody but ESPN has Texas ranked higher and they have had double digit wins since like 99, so how can anything other then 10 wins not be a disappointment.

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2008, 09:32 AM
My point is that everybody but ESPN has Texas ranked higher and they have had double digit wins since like 99, so how can anything other then 10 wins not be a disappointment.

The talent appears to be in place, but there are so many question marks.

Last year, the offensive line was in disarray. Injuries resulted in a different offensive line starting nearly every game. There was no cohesiveness. Granted, the entire offensive line that started the bowl game returns, but can they remain in tact and keep injuries down to a minimum?

Was Colt's down year last year the result of that offensive line, or were his poor decisions which were present in some games the result of a player who has already peaked?

Running back... the game breaker is gone. We are left with three good, but relatively untested players. Chris O was mainly a third down back and did not carry the ball much. Vondrell McGee was exceptional in high school, and was very good in short yardage situations. But does that translate over to being a feature back? Fozzie Whittacker, a redshirt freshman, has that burst of speed and is incredibly quick but has never played a down of college football. Then, there is the perception that they are keeping the position warm until Chris Whaley arrives on campus in the fall of 2009.

Wide receivers? Limas is gone after being out most of the year. Cosby and Jordan Shipley are proven talent and are very good, but the reserves, while again, talented are inexperienced and unproven on the collegiate level.

Defense.. jeez.. where to start... DT is very good.. but very thin. We get injured there, and it will spell trouble. DE is exceptional.. perhaps the best in conference. the LB crew looks to be much more talented than last year. The secondary.. well.. it's hard NOT to improve on a secondary which was ranked.. what.. 116th last year?! Younger, more talented players are stepping up but there are so many question marks. The new defensive coordinator has a track record of immediately improving defenses, but, there's a lot to improve... from personnel decisions to schemes.

The schedule is more challenging this year. The improving Muffaloes the week before we play you hillbillies... Misery in Austin the week after we play you hillbillies... Tech at Lubbock where Tech gets a good, healthy buzz on for Texas. Is KU for real? We have them at KU Nov. 15. And, we are always the jihad game for aggy (although aggy will be lucky to get to 6 wins this year).

In short, Misery, Tech, you hillbillies are all very loseable games and all in which we will not be favored.

Now, 2009 is another story. But, this year, with all of those question marks, I will be ecstatic with 10 wins.

olevetonahill
7/15/2008, 09:43 AM
Do you think that after coltys 1st year where he got his *** knocked out a few times . Hes Playing skeered and Making bad decisions trying to get rid of the Ball so He dont get hurt again ?

TheUnnamedSooner
7/15/2008, 09:49 AM
To answer the title of the thread..... Oklahoma State, it happens every year.

NormanPride
7/15/2008, 09:59 AM
As nice as Cosby and Shipley are, I don't think they're the kind of players that can create without someone like Sweed around. I hope that's not the case with Iggy and Johnson on our end.

As usual, the RRS will be a battle to remember. Hopefully you'll pull past the Intermural Team from Colorado and stay undefeated when playing us. Who do you have OOC? UTEP should be good, right? About like our Washington game, I guess.

And I think you're forgetting a team when you call your DEs the best in the conference. ;)

Back on topic, I think Kansas will have a lot of problems replicating last year's success.

illinisooner
7/15/2008, 10:12 AM
If we're going by fan expectations, Notre Dame, because the Domers think they're going undefeated every year, regardless of talent/coaching.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 10:12 AM
Any chance Dan Buckner plays this year?

UTgolfer
7/15/2008, 10:15 AM
Do you think that after coltys 1st year where he got his *** knocked out a few times . Hes Playing skeered and Making bad decisions trying to get rid of the Ball so He dont get hurt again ?

His sophomore campaign was definitely disappointing...but an inexperienced OL which was unable to consistently provide protection was a big part of it. He has taken a number of shots but doesn't appear to be gun shy in my opinion...but scrambling away from defenders definitely contributed to poor execution and decision making.

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2008, 10:22 AM
As nice as Cosby and Shipley are, I don't think they're the kind of players that can create without someone like Sweed around. I hope that's not the case with Iggy and Johnson on our end.

That could be. But, Sweed was out for the rest of the year from the OU game on. A couple of the younglings look really, really good.

As usual, the RRS will be a battle to remember. Hopefully you'll pull past the Intermural Team from Colorado and stay undefeated when playing us. Who do you have OOC? UTEP should be good, right? About like our Washington game, I guess.

Florida Atlantic. SmellsofBourbon is already talking about how they are coming to Austin to win. A mid bowl team from last year, they have 18 starters back. Nonetheless, mudhole.

UTEP, a night game in El Paso. 21 point win.

Arkie in Austin. Could be ugly... 21 point win.

Rice... in Houston. The MOB.. a good excuse to eat at some good restaurants. They could play it closer... 14 - 17 point win.

Muffaloes at Boulder. They're improving. A tough game. Who knows?

And I think you're forgetting a team when you call your DEs the best in the conference. ;)

Back on topic, I think Kansas will have a lot of problems replicating last year's success.

I agree on Kansas. They have a stretch of games where they play...

Colorado at home.
You Hillbillies in Norman the next week.
Texas Tech at home.
Kansas State at home.
Bugeaters on the road.
Then us in Kansas.

And with no bye week in there.

I'm thinking Mangino reverts back from being a "Genius, Stout Man" to a Larger Stand In for Jabba the Hut.

They may very well lose 4 of the 5 games leading up to the Texas game and be so beaten down by then, that they're mailing it in.

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2008, 10:28 AM
Any chance Dan Buckner plays this year?

He has the potential to be a beast. With him participating in spring practice this year, the likelihood of him seeing the field this fall is likely.

NormanPride
7/15/2008, 10:43 AM
Sounds good. This year is gonna be fun!

Sooner_09
7/15/2008, 12:00 PM
If we're going by fan expectations, Notre Dame, because the Domers think they're going undefeated every year, regardless of talent/coaching.

Does that mean they hope to beat Navy this year??!!:eek:

KantoSooner
7/15/2008, 12:08 PM
My pick to underperform is Florida. They were getting a lot of love in preseason polls, with a very questionable secondary.....and now they've lost two starting CBs to 'CL tears. It would be something of a surprise if their pass defense is even moderately good.....and that could make for some long afternoons.
BUT, my nephews arrive from Jacksonville this Friday and I'm SURE I'll get more Gator-talk than a normal man could endure over the following week.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 12:51 PM
He has the potential to be a beast. With him participating in spring practice this year, the likelihood of him seeing the field this fall is likely.

What about Kirkendoll. I remember he thought we were going on probation and switched, but that may have just been an excuse. He seems small but fast.

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 01:04 PM
I think Georgia's schedule is just going to kill them. If they go undefeated they deserve the credit.

Sooner_09
7/15/2008, 01:13 PM
I agree. If I had to pick a team to disappoint this season it would be Georgia.

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 01:17 PM
Ya I think they our a great football program, but they our coming off a year which they beat Hawaii. What if they lose to Hawaii last year? Then they would be pre-season ranked like what 10-15? I'm thinking after week one we are going to be ranked 3-6. Thats right where we need to be.

goingoneight
7/15/2008, 07:55 PM
Howsaboot Ohio State... #1 in some peoples' poles?

SUC... supposed to be the greatest team ever (again) and doesn't even have a QB yet.

OU... regardless of circumstances surrounding each loss, bottom line is 11 wins and a conference title are considered 'meh' anymore regarding Oklahoma. Now, slap a Taco Tech or an orange aggy into that 11-win, conference title mold and we'll hear about it for ages to come. Still, it just goes to show that 4 BCS losses are nothing to sit and point fingers about. Nobody's going to believe in us or credit us until we prove it. We're more than capable of being a National Title contender.

Texas is slipping into their former "Holiday Bowl or Bust" self. I'm sorry, I think UT will be good, 10 wins won't surprise me, but I'm never shocked by Texas playing mediocre football or choking. 2 years ago, Texas was top five entering the season, fresh off an MNC and a new lease on life after VY's miracle bowl... now I think "Bobby Bowden" when I see UT play. They're good enough and have a smart enough staff to win big, they just... don't... for some reason.

All these Cinderella hopefuls flooding the top 25. Apparently people still fail to see that the vast majority of the time, Cinderella gets pwn3d by halftime while "Goliath" soaks up the media love. For every Boise State Fiesta Fiasco there's ten to fifteen Hawaii's getting pounded and embarassed the way God intended.

LSU... boring football at it's finest. Maybe I've just been in SEC country too lmuch lately, I just don't buy into any hope of a repeat for last year's 2-loss "National Champions." Partially because I know the game isn't in Louisiana for another four years.

UGA has a helluva road out in front of them. They appeared to be one of the top teams in college football by season's end... but I'm seeing and hearing about UGA players getting in trouble and/or injured a lot it seems lately. Doesn't bode well for a team with one of the toughest schedules out in front of them.

Jacie
7/16/2008, 05:39 PM
This year's whorn team is dangerous because there are so many question marks. Being preseason #11 is more incentive than a Top 10 ranking for a young team. The kids stepping into starting roles are still the cream of the Texas recruiting crop. I believe they will earn their #11 ranking at the very least and continue the double-digit win streak in 2008. (Note that I have rationalized for three seasons previous how saxet would not win 10 games and been wrong every time, so this year is a huge flip-flop for me)

Other teams that should finish at or above their preseason rankings:

Meatchicken and the Golden Domers, neither getting a lot of love from the prognisticators, averaging an out-of-the-Top 25 ranking at #26.

Two teams that I think will have a difficult time living up to the preseason hype are Kansas #13 and Illinois #16.

bluedogok
7/16/2008, 08:21 PM
Lids Tech comment was right on. Watch Espn sometime. They are pimping Tech as a dark horse MNC contender.
My wife and my Tech co-workers are a bit wary of all the pre-season hype for them this season. In the back of their minds they still feel like they are going to lose to someone they shouldn't (namely OSU no matter how bad they are) and at Norman, because the game is in Norman. They are hopeful but they just aren't buying it for the most part.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/18/2008, 09:32 AM
I have to go along with Texas Tech....As long as that D has to practice against that O, I don't see how they can improve much and errbody is talking them up despite ranking..

this thread is about teams not meeting expectations(media,fans), so teams not likely to meet expectations are IMO

USC- lost 3 O linemen and heart of defense in Rivers, Ellis, and Jackson

LSU- lost key players and D coord.

Collier11
7/18/2008, 09:42 AM
I say LSU, they lost a ton of talent

Scott D
7/18/2008, 10:46 AM
all of them, because everyone can't go undefeated scoring 100 points a game and throwing shutouts every week.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/18/2008, 10:50 AM
Scott since your in region, whats the feeling about Michigan this year?

Scott D
7/18/2008, 10:59 AM
Things have been pretty quiet about Michigan so far. I think most people are expecting 9-3 or 8-4, and steeling themselves for 6-6 or 7-5. Spring game didn't tell them much, and it's always a crapshoot with a complete system overhaul.

Sparty seems to be getting cocky that they'll topple the Wolverines this year though, it's cute in a way.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/18/2008, 11:04 AM
Is Threet starting you think?

Cam
7/18/2008, 11:08 AM
Sparty seems to be getting cocky that they'll topple the Wolverines this year though, it's cute in a way.

More than the typical little brother syndrome cocky?

If they're going to do it any time soon, this is probably their best shot.

Scott D
7/18/2008, 11:21 AM
Threet will probably be the opening game starter, but lots of time between now and then. This year is just going to be funky for them, they'e working hard on getting a QB in the 09 class that fits the system.

Cam, typically Sparty "hopes" they can beat Michigan in football. But I haven't seen em this cocky going into a season since the Nick Saban days (not that Saban did all that well against them).

Cam
7/18/2008, 11:47 AM
If they moved their game to earlier in the season, maybe they'd have a shot. Too much puking on themselves in the 2nd half of their season lately.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/18/2008, 11:53 AM
Michigan St is to football as the Texas Rangers are to baseball

badger
7/18/2008, 12:00 PM
Let's see... hmm... well, who expects great things? I'll go by conference for those teams expecting something to happen this year:

Big 12: Missouri and Oklahoma

Out of those two, I would say Mizzou is headed for a crash course into disappointment. The team is now on everyone's radar, a recipe for disaster.

Big 10: Ohio State and Michigan

Out of those two, I would say they're both headed for disappointment (which is anything short of the title game, based on the past few years). Look to some Big 10 team to upset them each a few times this year. I will go with Purdue to upset Michigan and Illinois to once again upset Ohio State. In the head to head, I will pick Michigan for once to beat tOSU. Wisconsin will beat them both for the Rose Bowl, yay! However, Wisconsin will lose to Penn State, so no BCS championship for them, either.

ACC: Clemson and Miami

I think they're both going to disappoint. Miami is back? Hardly. Clemson always lays a few eggs to totally scratch your head about what they're doing to their talent down there.

Big East: West Virginia

South Florida FTW! WVU doesn't make the BCS. Shock and Awe.

Pac 10: USC (always), Oregon and Arizona State

USC will once again be Rose Bowlin'. ASU and UO threaten USC, but never make it. USC loses to UCLA and Cal, so a conference championship is as far as it goes for them (Wisconsin wins Rose Bowl!)

SEC: Everyone except Ole Miss, Miss State and Vanderbilt think its their year to win it all.

Only one team won't be disappointed... I will go with Florida to go to the title game and South Carolina to be the at-large BCS. Look for some coaching changes after this season due to fan outcry.

Mid Major/Indy: Notre Dame, Boise State, Brigham Young

None make it anywhere. A load of hype with no results. Charlie Weis once again becomes a whale on the sideline counting his money.

Collier11
7/18/2008, 12:40 PM
Let's see... hmm... well, who expects great things? I'll go by conference for those teams expecting something to happen this year:

Big 12: Missouri and Oklahoma

Out of those two, I would say Mizzou is headed for a crash course into disappointment. The team is now on everyone's radar, a recipe for disaster.

Big 10: Ohio State and Michigan

Out of those two, I would say they're both headed for disappointment (which is anything short of the title game, based on the past few years). Look to some Big 10 team to upset them each a few times this year. I will go with Purdue to upset Michigan and Illinois to once again upset Ohio State. In the head to head, I will pick Michigan for once to beat tOSU. Wisconsin will beat them both for the Rose Bowl, yay! However, Wisconsin will lose to Penn State, so no BCS championship for them, either.

ACC: Clemson and Miami

I think they're both going to disappoint. Miami is back? Hardly. Clemson always lays a few eggs to totally scratch your head about what they're doing to their talent down there.

Big East: West Virginia

South Florida FTW! WVU doesn't make the BCS. Shock and Awe.

Pac 10: USC (always), Oregon and Arizona State

USC will once again be Rose Bowlin'. ASU and UO threaten USC, but never make it. USC loses to UCLA and Cal, so a conference championship is as far as it goes for them (Wisconsin wins Rose Bowl!)

SEC: Everyone except Ole Miss, Miss State and Vanderbilt think its their year to win it all.

Only one team won't be disappointed... I will go with Florida to go to the title game and South Carolina to be the at-large BCS. Look for some coaching changes after this season due to fan outcry.

Mid Major/Indy: Notre Dame, Boise State, Brigham Young

None make it anywhere. A load of hype with no results. Charlie Weis once again becomes a whale on the sideline counting his money.

SEC:Lsu without a qb will falter but I think uga will too, too tough of a sched.
Big 10-Ohio state will stay about the same, I think Illinois could challenge Ohio state this year for the league crown(seriously)
ACC:I think Clemson will finally play as expected and win the league. BC will have a down yr
Big 12- I think Texas will have a similiar yr to last yr, Tech I dont think can live up to the hype, Colorado could challenge mizzou in an upset
Big East- Wvu will falter, I think Pitt will finally have a big yr

IronHorseSooner
7/19/2008, 07:37 AM
LSU- lost key players and D coord

Stole my thunder on that one. Their season will resemble our 2005 season. Good D, no QB, lost D-COORD (ironically, the same guy).

S008NER
7/19/2008, 11:07 PM
Agree with Badger on Mizzu.

goingoneight
7/20/2008, 01:49 PM
Stole my thunder on that one. Their season will resemble our 2005 season. Good D, no QB, lost D-COORD (ironically, the same guy).

They don't have an AD-caliber player to bail them out either. I'm honestly going to watch LSU closely this year to see if Lester can separate himself from the flash-in-the-pan type of coach and prove he's not just some crazy and extremely lucky bastard. You can pick four plays last year that make LSU 7-6. I just don't really ever think of LSU as a dominant team watching them. I think of a boring and predictable offense that manages to be effective and a defense that's no better than OU's, having at least three brain farts a year with top-tier talent and coaching left scratching their heads, but a trigger-happy head coach who always seems to have to gamble his way to win. If Bob Stoops played all his BCS games in Oklahoma City, he'd likely be undefeated in bowls, too. You've seen how we play in front of a dominant Sooner crowd. See: OU vs. Missouri 2007. We broke down just enough times in that game in Norman that had it been in Columbia, it'd have been ugly for sure.