PDA

View Full Version : Norman Schools....Recommendations

Taxman71
7/14/2008, 04:07 PM
Getting close to the deadline for deciding which grade school in Norman for the youngsters. Anyone have good/bad experiences?

SoonerStormchaser
7/14/2008, 04:11 PM
Not having attended any of them, I have the uninformed opinion that THEY ALL SUCK!!!

Partial Qualifier
7/14/2008, 04:15 PM
fwiw, Truman, Monroe, McKinley and Roosevelt have pretty cool playgrounds.

Taxman71
7/14/2008, 04:17 PM
Not having attended any of them, I have the uninformed opinion that THEY ALL SUCK!!!

Don't blame Norman...the 200 foot ban for sexual predators applies statewide.

C&CDean
7/14/2008, 04:17 PM
I've had kids attend Lakeview and Roosevelt. Both were good schools, but both are on the fringes of town. Unless you're going to be one of those liars who manage to get their kids in a school outside their district/area, your kids will have to go to whatever school is set up for your area.

Soonrboy
7/14/2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, open tranfers end in February. What school boundaries do you live in?

SoonerStormchaser
7/14/2008, 04:23 PM
Don't blame Norman...the 200 foot ban for sexual predators applies statewide.

You have me confused with SicEm.

King Crimson
7/14/2008, 04:33 PM
i went to Monroe and i'm a communist. that's pretty much all they taught us there, the international and book 1 of Das Kapital and a lot of hippie stuff. we listened to Moby Grape and the Jefferson Airplane at lunch.

Taxman71
7/14/2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, open tranfers end in February. What school boundaries do you live in?

We live in the Adams district. Norman has open transfer, assuming a spot is open, but most appear to be at or near capacity and, therefore, transfers are very hard to come by right now. I know Roosevelt is making is hard for "liars" to get in, even to the extent of requiring real estate contracts for people building nice homes within the district.

Since we will be enrolling in early 2009, I am hoping to make a decision and, if necessary, start house hunting since I don't want to go through the whole transfer and/or lying process every year for each kid.

We like the mid-high (Whittier) and high school (North) that Adams promotes to, but aren't sure about Adams for the next 6 years.

Taxman71
7/14/2008, 04:38 PM
i went to Monroe and i'm a communist. that's pretty much all they taught us there, the international and book 1 of Das Kapital and a lot of hippie stuff. we listened to Moby Grape and the Jefferson Airplane at lunch.

I'm guessing they have a VERY active PTA group....if you know what I mean.

sooneron
7/14/2008, 04:46 PM
McKinley seems the coolest since I grew up down the street (moved to Norman for 6th grade) As far as picking your kid up and dropping off, it seems like the worst to me- Seeing as how kids can't seem to make it school under their own power anymore.

Soonrboy
7/14/2008, 04:47 PM
Adams is a good school. In fact, I know some of the teachers at Roosevelt and really wasn't that impressed with them.

As with any school, the more you are involved the better. Get to know the teachers, the programs. Adam's music program is pretty strong, from what I understand. I think it'll be fine.

King Crimson
7/14/2008, 04:50 PM
McKinley seems the coolest since I grew up down the street (moved to Norman for 6th grade) As far as picking your kid up and dropping off, it seems like the worst to me- Seeing as how kids can't seem to make it school under their own power anymore.

i thought you lived by Jackson? i always liked McKinley's playground set up, sho nuff. that's a cool part of town, minus all the new parking lots the sororities are building for themselves.

i mean, really, what's not to love architecturally about Monroe's windowless Stalinist/Ranch motif?

Taxman71
7/14/2008, 04:57 PM
Adams is a good school. In fact, I know some of the teachers at Roosevelt and really wasn't that impressed with them.

As with any school, the more you are involved the better. Get to know the teachers, the programs. Adam's music program is pretty strong, from what I understand. I think it'll be fine.

I really hope Adams will work since I don't want to sell my house in this market and we are pretty close to Norman North....which means much less mileage to and from school when the kids are driving on their own.....yes, I think that far ahead.

stoopified
7/14/2008, 04:58 PM
What schools are in North Norman?

Taxman71
7/14/2008, 05:05 PM
None, really. Norman North HS is just south of Rock Creek Road and Roosevelt Elementary is on Tecumseh, west of I-35. Everything else is on or south of Robinson.

Soonrboy
7/14/2008, 06:15 PM
Eisenhower Elementary is on the NE side...between rock creek and robinson..

yermom
7/14/2008, 06:27 PM
Eisenhower Elementary is on the NE side...between rock creek and robinson..

i just felt a shudder...

i went to Eisehhower in Tulsa, man i hated that place

stoopified
7/14/2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks Soonr and Taxman.My wife got on at Childrens and we are looking at moving to Moore or north Norman.Right now she drives down and stays in facility housing .

Soonrboy
7/14/2008, 08:29 PM
Also Lakeview is way out by the lake, on the east side, off Robinson, I think.

Soonerus
7/15/2008, 01:13 AM
you need to go to Cleveland, Truman , rosevelt or McKinely

Taxman71
7/15/2008, 06:16 AM
you need to go to Cleveland, Truman , rosevelt or McKinely

Those are also the hardest to get into if you don't live within the district. It's beginning to look like I may be moving, dangit.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/15/2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks Soonr and Taxman.My wife got on at Childrens and we are looking at moving to Moore or north Norman.Right now she drives down and stays in facility housing .
I don't know anything about Norman schools, but I went K-12 to Moore Schools. Most of the elementary schools in Moore are less than 20 years old. A brand new high school is also opening called Southmoore.

sooneron
7/15/2008, 08:15 AM
i thought you lived by Jackson? i always liked McKinley's playground set up, sho nuff. that's a cool part of town, minus all the new parking lots the sororities are building for themselves.

i mean, really, what's not to love architecturally about Monroe's windowless Stalinist/Ranch motif?

Nope. Lived two blocks south of McKinley on Flood.

C&CDean
7/15/2008, 08:34 AM
Also Lakeview is way out by the lake, on the east side, off Robinson, I think.

It's on 108th a mile or two north of Alameda.

sooneron
7/15/2008, 08:37 AM
There's a school out there??

I can remember when Irving seemed like the edge of town.

C&CDean
7/15/2008, 08:40 AM

You're not much older than my oldest (he's 26) and he went there in 1991-92. Then we moved into town when he started Jr. High. Irving. What a POS that school is.

sooneron
7/15/2008, 08:45 AM
You're not much older than my oldest (he's 26) and he went there in 1991-92. Then we moved into town when he started Jr. High. Irving. What a POS that school is.

Oh, I'm a "bit" older than 26. Thanks tho.[hairGel]

I have never heard good things about Irving.

soonerbrat
7/15/2008, 09:23 AM
All Saints

Taxman71
7/15/2008, 09:48 AM
All Saints

Better than CCS? It is more expensive.

C&CDean
7/15/2008, 12:44 PM
If I want my kids to get knocked up and hooked on dope I'd send them to church school.

LilSooner
7/15/2008, 12:49 PM
So how does one figure out which elementary school your little ones will go to?

Partial Qualifier
7/15/2008, 12:55 PM
So how does one figure out which elementary school your little ones will go to?

playground coolness factor.

;)

Soonrboy
7/15/2008, 01:19 PM
It's on 108th a mile or two north of Alameda.

There you go!! It was awarded the blue ribbon award from the dept. of education, just like roosevelt was.

I think that Irving has cleaned up alot in the last 5 years or so. We know some kids who go there and their parents are really happy with it.

Soonrboy
7/15/2008, 01:20 PM
Better than CCS? It is more expensive.

One of them isn't accredited by the state, biggest meaning that the teachers don't necessarily have to be certified by the state to teach there.

Taxman71
7/15/2008, 01:36 PM
Not being accredited seems like a big deal.

soonerbrat
7/15/2008, 01:59 PM
If I want my kids to get knocked up and hooked on dope I'd send them to church school.

hey, i didn't get hooked on dope in high school. and i waited a year before i got knocked up.

C&CDean
7/15/2008, 02:04 PM
hey, i didn't get hooked on dope in high school. and i waited a year before i got knocked up.

Heh.

In Tucson, there was a Catholic school between my school and home. It was called Our Mother of Sorrows. Uniforms, the whole bit. The funny thing was some of the guys were selling the best weed in town, and some of those girls in the little plaid skirts, white blouses, and knee socks would do pretty much anything. And we're talking 7/8 graders, not high schoolers. And we're talking 1969/70.

soonerbrat
7/15/2008, 02:22 PM
Heh.

In Tucson, there was a Catholic school between my school and home. It was called Our Mother of Sorrows. Uniforms, the whole bit. The funny thing was some of the guys were selling the best weed in town, and some of those girls in the little plaid skirts, white blouses, and knee socks would do pretty much anything. And we're talking 7/8 graders, not high schoolers. And we're talking 1969/70.

dayum. that was right about the time I was borned.
someone put a marijuana plant in our library when I was in high school. the nun that ran the library watered it faithfully every day, completely oblivious.

Lott's Bandana
7/15/2008, 02:31 PM

I was in Irving's first year 8th grade class. We thought it was cool to have rubber basketball courts and all three grade's classes (except science) held in one bigazz, open air room seemingly about an acre in size. As an adult I have often looked back on the entire experiment and realized that us kids weren't the only ones with bongs attached to their faces...what the heel were they thinking!?

Oh, and Lincoln School is teh awesome.