PDA

View Full Version : Oregon football player dies.....

SteelClip49
7/14/2008, 12:58 PM
From the Register-Guard in Eugene, Oregon.....

UO football player dies in river incident
Monday, July 14, 2008

A University of Oregon football player. Todd Doxey, died Sunday night after jumping into the McKenzie River from the Marcola Road Bridge.

Doxey, a San Diego native, jumped from the Marcola Road bridge around 3:20 p.m. and began swimming across the current toward a boat ramp. However, witnesses said he began struggling and had difficulty keeping his head above water, according to the Lane County Sheriff’s Office.

A fisherman in a drift boat pulled Doxey from the water a few minutes later, took him to a gravel bar below the boat ramp and began administering CPR, Lane County Sheriff’s Marine Patrol Deputy Paul Vitus said.

Springfield Fire and Life Safety rescuers brought Doxey to the boat ramp, where an ambulance took him to McKenzie-Willamette Hospital. He was listed in critical condition initially, sheriff’s Sgt. Cliff Harrold said. Doxey was transferred to Sacred Heart Medical Center, where he died at 8:05 p.m., he said.

Read more in Monday’s Register-Guard

obviously this is sad and you gotta feel for the family but why jump off a bridge into a river???

Also, and I am not making fun of him, but it would only take a matter of a few posts before it came up....but I thought Ducks were used to the water and obviously Fowl play is not suspected either. Ok, I'm done. Prayers to the family and program...especially with the season nearing.

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 01:02 PM
I did it when I was young.

I hit bottom once into some mud and felt lucky that I didn't hit a rock.

Sadly this kid didn't get another chance like I did.

Prayers for his Family.

OUDoc
7/14/2008, 01:03 PM
Sad. My condolences to his family. :(

7/14/2008, 01:06 PM
That's sad. I'll bet most of us pulled some crazy stuff at that point in our lives.

Boomer.....
7/14/2008, 01:09 PM
Very sad. Prayers.

BigRedJed
7/14/2008, 01:10 PM
I'm gonna go with "the duck jokes were in poor taste," for five hundred, Alex.

Condolences to his family, friends, and the UO community.

SteelClip49
7/14/2008, 04:34 PM
I understand in poor taste...only reason why I did that is because I have seen death posts before and have seen some try to poke a little fun at the opportunity when it's there....so, I am sorry if I offended anyone by this.

Okla-homey
7/14/2008, 06:47 PM
No one ever figured out why Billy Joe McAlester jumped off the Tallatchee Bridge either.

In all seriousness, far too many of our young people choose permanent solutions to temporary problems. We should do a better job trying to instill in our children the notion that the overwhelming majority of the problems we face in life can be endured and we'll come out on the other side stronger and wiser and can still enjoy a rewarding and fruitful life.

SoonerJack
7/15/2008, 07:54 AM
Of course, he may have jumped off the bridge for fun. Remember that one bridge over the Illinois River that everybody jumps off of, but the truly "brave" climb to the top and jump?

Nonetheless, life lost so young is just a tragedy no matter how you look at it. Prayers for his family.

sooneron
7/15/2008, 08:13 AM
Sad to hear. Condolences to his family.

OU4LIFE
7/15/2008, 08:15 AM
Levity in uncomfortable situations is one thing. but dang.

Sorry for his family.

olevetonahill
7/15/2008, 08:27 AM
Prayers to the Family and his team.

Collier11
7/16/2008, 08:27 AM
[I][B]obviously this is sad and you gotta feel for the family but why jump off a bridge into a river???

The same reason that I got hammered and jumped off of a 30 ft cliff with 7 of my friends when I was 21 at Lake Tenkiller, it is fun. 99% of the time the jumps are safe but it only takes one rock, one strong current, or one slip and it can get dangerous...I feel for the family

Quack 10
7/16/2008, 10:19 AM
The same reason that I got hammered and jumped off of a 30 ft cliff with 7 of my friends when I was 21 at Lake Tenkiller, it is fun. 99% of the time the jumps are safe but it only takes one rock, one strong current, or one slip and it can get dangerous...I feel for the family

From what I understand, several of the players jumped off the Hayden Bridge that day, but most carried their innertubes with them. Doxey didn't.

I did it many times as a kid, from cliffs and bridges on dozens of rivers. Kids think they're invincible. Unfortunately, the McKenzie is very cold and this year the current is especially storng due to record snowfall last winter in the Cascades.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

StoopTroup
7/16/2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Quack...

Sad it took a life to get those guys to think about the danger.

Hopefully, some how, this can be turned into a positive...:(

Sorry for the loss.

ST

ousoonerfan
7/16/2008, 10:49 AM
Remember that one bridge over the Illinois River that everybody jumps off of, but the truly "brave" climb to the top and jump?

Comb's Bridge.

We used to camp by that bridge and watch the "brave" jump.

Quack 10
7/16/2008, 02:20 PM
Sad it took a life to get those guys to think about the danger.

Doesn't it always seem to go that way? A 5-year-old boy drowned in the Columbia last weekend, and a 17-year-old boy drowned in the Umpqua. The football team may take some steps to avoid it, but the rivers here will always claim lives.

Trivial as it seems now, Doxey was expected to replace Patrick Chung as the starter at Rover in '09, and was probably gong to be an NFL-caliber safety. It's truly a senseless waste.

Jdog
7/16/2008, 03:49 PM
Our thoughts, condolences and prayers are with his family, UO team (especially the guys that were with him), and Duck fans.