PDA

View Full Version : Need help: I no longer know what's offensive and what's not.

pergdaddy
7/14/2008, 11:46 AM
What's one to do anymore. Didn't know if this was discussed yet here or not.

from michellemalkin.com

Via the Dallas Morning News (hat tip - JWF):

A special meeting about Dallas County traffic tickets turned tense and bizarre this afternoon.

County commissioners were discussing problems with the central collections office that is used to process traffic ticket payments and handle other paperwork normally done by the JP Courts.

Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield, who is white, said it seemed that central collections “has become a black hole” because paperwork reportedly has become lost in the office.

Commissioner John Wiley Price, who is black, interrupted him with a loud “Excuse me!” He then corrected his colleague, saying the office has become a “white hole.”

That prompted Judge Thomas Jones, who is black, to demand an apology from Mayfield for his racially insensitive analogy.

Cam
7/14/2008, 11:54 AM
When did "black hole" become racially insensitive when used in that context? If you're talking about the hooker on the corner or call girl in the hotel lobby, then I get it. Here, not so much.

Curly Bill
7/14/2008, 11:54 AM
The Dallas Morning News has been on this.

The good part was that Mayfield refused to apologize...

Curly Bill
7/14/2008, 11:55 AM
When did "black hole" become racially insensitive when used in that context?

Apparently you aren't familiar with one Mr John Wiley Price.

OKLA21FAN
7/14/2008, 11:59 AM
Sadly, dallas proper has much more to worry about than this.

Cam
7/14/2008, 12:00 PM
Apparently you aren't familiar with one Mr John Wiley Price.

I am not. Could I assume that everything is about race with him?

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 12:01 PM
I'd tell him to p*ss off.

Scott D
7/14/2008, 12:02 PM
When did "black hole" become racially insensitive when used in that context? If you're talking about the hooker on the corner or call girl in the hotel lobby, then I get it. Here, not so much.

about the time Michelle Malkin continued to try and prove that she's relevant.

Bone
7/14/2008, 12:03 PM
Regardless of Mr. Price's reputation, which I know nothing about, I don't think that using "black hole" in that context is a grounds for reprimand.

OKLA21FAN
7/14/2008, 12:06 PM
Regardless of Mr. Price's reputation, which I know nothing about, I don't think that using "black hole" in that context is a grounds for reprimand.

what about 'being in the black' in terms of Financials? Isn't that a good thing? :gary:

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 12:07 PM
I'm gonna have to outlaw Crackers and White Bread.

Curly Bill
7/14/2008, 12:08 PM
I am not. Could I assume that everything is about race with him?

Absolutely everything...

He likes to lecture how the color white is associated with good things, a white Christmas for example, while the color black is associated with dark, evil, or misunderstood things.

Besides the fact he has a certain constituency that supports him, he's a laughingstock.

SoonerProphet
7/14/2008, 12:10 PM
Mr. Price's reputation is that of a race baiter to some and stand up guy for others. For example a few years back he launched a crusade to get rid of alcohol signs in South Dallas, some viewed it as brave, others as anti-capitalist.

BudSooner
7/14/2008, 12:33 PM
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/blackhole.jpg

It's quite obvious Texans hate old Disney movies.

Ike
7/14/2008, 12:40 PM
damn racist astronomy....

RacerX
7/14/2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/blackhole.jpg

It's quite obvious Texans hate old Disney movies.

First ever PG from Disney.

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 12:45 PM
Commisioner Price...I'm so sorry for my comment...[approaches Mr. Price :D] What I meant to say was...[throat punch].

badger
7/14/2008, 12:47 PM
There was a Boondocks episode on this - Huey said intelligent things while brother Riley and Grandad tries to get the school to pay millions after a teacher uses the N-word.
Link to Wikipedia describing the episode here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_S-Word_(The_Boondocks))

Basically, Huey said that you can't regulate offensive words because who determines what is offensive and what isn't.

BigRedJed
7/14/2008, 12:50 PM
Reminds me of a few years back during the "niggardly" incident in Washington (white mayor's aide resigns after people take offense to him -- properly -- using "niggardly (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=niggardly)" in a budget context). The best quote that came out of that came from none other than the then-chairman of the NAACP, who said "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people’s lack of understanding. David Howard should not have quit. Mayor Williams should bring him back — and order dictionaries issued to all staff who need them."

Cam
7/14/2008, 01:21 PM
about the time Michelle Malkin continued to try and prove that she's relevant.

Never heard of her either.

Absolutely everything...

He likes to lecture how the color white is associated with good things, a white Christmas for example, while the color black is associated with dark, evil, or misunderstood things.

Besides the fact he has a certain constituency that supports him, he's a laughingstock.

When the falling snow is black instead of white, we'll call it "black Christmas".

Sooner_Havok
7/14/2008, 01:30 PM
damn racist astronomy....

No kidding! Black holes suck up matter, and white hole spit matter out. That is very racist. The fact that black holes are black because light cannot escape them is irrelevant! :rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
7/14/2008, 01:31 PM
what about 'being in the black' in terms of Financials? Isn't that a good thing? :gary:

Damn it!!! Now you're gonna get the Indians pizzed!!! Good jorb :mad:

mdklatt
7/14/2008, 02:05 PM
Could I assume that everything is about race with him?

Yes. I blame him for most of the racial divide in Dallas. John Wiley Price is the living embodiment of everything that Jesse Jackson's critics say Jackson is. He's a hypocrite and a crook, views racial tension as his way to achieve power and influence, and is an attention whore like no other. It's truly disturbing that he continues to get elected.

EDIT: I forgot to work "charlatan" in there somewhere. And "******rocket".

Scott D
7/14/2008, 03:57 PM
Yes. I blame him for most of the racial divide in Dallas. John Wiley Price is the living embodiment of everything that Jesse Jackson's critics say Jackson is. He's a hypocrite and a crook, views racial tension as his way to achieve power and influence, and is an attention whore like no other. It's truly disturbing that he continues to get elected.

EDIT: I forgot to work "charlatan" in there somewhere. And "******rocket".

so what you are saying is that he's a politician who secures his power by playing on the fears of his constituency? Or basically, the same as every other politician out there.

Scott D
7/14/2008, 04:00 PM
Never heard of her either.

In some circles, she's considered an asian hating asian.

When the falling snow is black instead of white, we'll call it "black Christmas".

I call it every december on Barbers Point because the base was next to Sugar Cane fields which got burned every winter to burn the leaves off of them because they were very very sharp for harvesting.

C&CDean
7/14/2008, 04:22 PM
Look at our resident token brotha go.

Maybe y'all can get "white" changed to "black" and then it'd be fashionable to tell ****** jokes again.

I've never heard of this nimrod, but it sounds to me like he needs to start up a KKK for black folks.

Sooner_Havok
7/14/2008, 04:27 PM

Maybe y'all can get "white" changed to "black" and then it'd be fashionable to tell ****** jokes again.

I've never heard of this nimrod, but it sounds to me like he needs to start up a KKK for black folks.

Eh, the New Black Panthers are doing just fine on that front

Scott D
7/14/2008, 04:46 PM

he doesn't need to. He just needs to start an exclusionary group to get put in the national database for hate groups. That's all that it seems to take to be in there these days.

mdklatt
7/14/2008, 05:20 PM
so what you are saying is that he's a politician who secures his power by playing on the fears of his constituency? Or basically, the same as every other politician out there.

No, he's actually worse.

Sooner_Havok
7/14/2008, 05:23 PM

I'm out of the loop, who's "our resident token brotha"

yermom
7/14/2008, 05:47 PM
http://walkingalongtherailways.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/token.jpg

:D

ScottD

bluedogok
7/14/2008, 06:30 PM
Does JWP still have his Ferrari?

He is very much the capitalist, as long as his pockets are the ones being lined.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/14/2008, 06:42 PM
damn racist astronomy....It's a regular hate-crime science!

Scott D
7/14/2008, 10:12 PM
http://walkingalongtherailways.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/token.jpg

:D

ScottD

it's not time for token avatar yet :D

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/sargmon/token2.jpg

Scott D
7/14/2008, 10:13 PM
No, he's actually worse.

nah, the ones that are worse are the ones that don't play on those fears. they're the ones that have a deeper darker agenda.

Whet
7/14/2008, 10:18 PM
What? This ignorance has been going on for a while now!

Washington, DC's black Mayor, Anthony Williams, gladly accepted the resignation of his white staff member, David Howard, because Mr. Howard uttered the word 'niggardly' in a private staff meeting.

Webster's Tenth Edition defines the word 'niggardly' to "grudgingly mean about spending or granting". The Barnhard Dictionary of Etymology traces the origins of 'niggardly' to the 1300's, and to the words 'nig' and 'ignon', meaning "miser" in Middle English. No where in any of these references is any mention of racial connotations associated with the word 'niggardly'.

In other words, it's a perfectly good and useful word. But there is the unfortunate coincidence that it starts with the same four letters as the word "******". The news media are so loathe to use the "N" word, that they've been substituting the phrase "racial slur", as in "...they mistook the word 'niggardly' for a racial slur..."

Washington, DC's population is 60% black, and it's citizens have been very critical of Mayor Williams for "not being black enough" -- especially because he hired several well-qualified whites to help him run this troubled city.

Racial intolerance, ignorance, and misplaced political correctness have cost a white mayoral aide his job in Washington, DC. And, as many of the other stories on Adversity.Net clearly illustrate, the "niggardly" controversy is only the tip of the "intolerance iceberg".

pergdaddy
7/15/2008, 12:19 PM
Whet,

what was funny about that story if I remember reading it correctly is the president of the local chapter of the NAACP blasted the people who made the guy resign. He suggested the mayor should purchase dictionaries and pass them out to his staff as they obviously don't truly know the meaning of words.
That was from the president of the NAACP.

People today, and this is in light of the Obama New Yorker cover, are overly sensitive to everything. I understand that it may come off as an offensive caricature, but isn't the cover playing into all of those people who don't like him way of viewing his character? Isn't that called satire/sarcasm? Isn't that what the New Yorker was going for ? I just don't get it. YOu can't use black hole without getting blasted by somebody. YOu can't make jokes because you could get sued for making somebody uncomfortable.

Everybody is different, but since when did understanding and common sense get lost in the world of social being?

Ike
7/15/2008, 12:37 PM
Everybody is different, but since when did understanding and common sense get lost in the world of social being?

Did they ever exist in the first place?

Whet
7/15/2008, 01:07 PM
In some circles, she's considered an asian hating asian.

That would be the Huffington Post, MoveOn.org, and Daily Kos crowd, btw.

pergdaddy
7/15/2008, 02:11 PM
Ike,
Good point. Not sure they ever did. But as times have passed, it seems to be getting worse.

DBrown
7/15/2008, 04:15 PM
At the great risk of negspek and being compared to Don Imus....
there is a distinct difference between a "black hole" and a "black ho".
This is AMERICA where FREE SPEECH IS SUPPOSED TO BE ALLOWED and
where we can AGREE TO DISAGREE!
This quote comes to mind..."while I don't agree with what someone says,
I'll defend unto death their right to say it!"
As long as everyone is heard and things are 50/50 and it isn't a one way
street!

Hamhock
7/15/2008, 04:24 PM
I'm out of the loop, who's "our resident token brotha"

doleo?

Whet
7/15/2008, 10:05 PM