PDA

View Full Version : for you lawyer types

shaun4411
7/14/2008, 11:06 AM
for the past 10 months i have been invested with a businesswoman in okc. currently i am owed $10,000. two months ago we agreed to and signed our monthly contract. the provisions of the contract essentially state my principal, my consideration for the investment, and a "general" time period for the consideration.

We communicate by phone and fax. She faxes me the signed (not notarized) contract, and i sign and fax the completed contract back to her. Two months ago was the last time we spoke. She was supposed to pay me on June 10th, and has subsequently ignored all of my calls, text messages, and faxes since that date.

What are some of your suggestions? I have considered small claims court. i have also considered hiring an actual lawyer. While this is a lot of money for me, i dont want to spend a lot of money in a frugal effort that may end up not turning out in my favor. As a side note, from what i hear, she is currently involved in a lawsuit and im told she is being taken for everything she has. I offered a friend $500 to have a talk with her in his own way, but i dont know how well that'd work.

Okla-homey
7/14/2008, 05:23 PM
for the past 10 months i have been invested with a businesswoman in okc. currently i am owed $10,000. two months ago we agreed to and signed our monthly contract. the provisions of the contract essentially state my principal, my consideration for the investment, and a "general" time period for the consideration.

We communicate by phone and fax. She faxes me the signed (not notarized) contract, and i sign and fax the completed contract back to her. Two months ago was the last time we spoke. She was supposed to pay me on June 10th, and has subsequently ignored all of my calls, text messages, and faxes since that date.

What are some of your suggestions? I have considered small claims court. i have also considered hiring an actual lawyer. While this is a lot of money for me, i dont want to spend a lot of money in a frugal effort that may end up not turning out in my favor. As a side note, from what i hear, she is currently involved in a lawsuit and im told she is being taken for everything she has. I offered a friend $500 to have a talk with her in his own way, but i dont know how well that'd work.

It wouldn't hurt to buy an hour of time from a lawyer in your area who does this transactional stuff and get some advice. If you're unsure of whom to call, you might consider calling the Oklahoma Bar Association and getting a free referral. Or ask PhilHMFIC in a peem. He knows a lot of guys who do that stuff around OKC.

Good news is, the initial meeting with the lawyer is prolly free. He'll likely make copies of your stuff, do some research, then have you back to let you know where you stand. If its as simple as you say, that follow-up meeting won't cost much, if it is necessary at all. There may be some steps you can take right now to improve your position if the bidness eventually goes belly-up.

shaun4411
7/14/2008, 10:54 PM
thank you. ill be doing that. it is as simple as that, but i know how important notarizations are.

Taxman71
7/15/2008, 06:32 AM
If you can obtain a judgment fairly cheaply, do it. However, a judgment isn't worth much if you cannot enforce it via garnishment, property lien, seizure, settlement, etc. Sounds like the most difficult part will be getting a collection lawyer to get some money AFTER you get the judgment.

shaun4411
7/15/2008, 07:10 AM
i knew as soon as this happened, that the luck of the jew was looking (in)favorably upon me and that it would be an uphill battle to get my money back.