PDA

View Full Version : Bush to lift ban on offshore drilling

Boomer.....
7/14/2008, 09:30 AM
Bush to Lift Executive Ban on Offshore Oil Drilling
Monday, July 14, 2008

WASHINGTON — The White House says President Bush is planning to lift an executive ban on offshore oil drilling.

In a Rose Garden statement on Monday, the president plans to lift the ban. But by itself, the move will not lead to more drilling off America's coastline.

Congress must still lift its own legislative ban before offshore drilling can happen.

White House press secretary Dana Perino says Bush is acting now in hopes of spurring Congress to act. So far, lawmakers have shown no interest in doing so.

Finally.

:pop:

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 09:33 AM
Brings a tear to my eye...

How about a nice song...

XiY1NQwEbCE

yermom
7/14/2008, 09:35 AM
a nice bandaid for the bullet hole

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/14/2008, 10:32 AM
Something good happens in D.C.!

soonerscuba
7/14/2008, 10:33 AM
THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!!!

85Sooner
7/14/2008, 05:34 PM
Now congress has to lift their ban. That ain't gonna happen as long as reid and pelosi are in charge.

tommieharris91
7/14/2008, 05:37 PM
Now congress has to lift their ban. That ain't gonna happen as long as reid and pelosi are in charge.

I dunno. Reid was talking like he was for it today.

CORNholio
7/14/2008, 05:57 PM
There never should have been a ban in the first place.

mdklatt
7/14/2008, 06:53 PM
a nice bandaid for the bullet hole

It's not even much of a bandaid. Gas is up to $3.95 at Campus Corner Market. If Congress votes to lift the ban, I bet the price of oil drops $5/bbl. For a week. Several years from now when oil actually begins to flow.

But it sure gives the illusion that Bush is doing something worthwhile, and gives the pubz ammo against the demz. Question: How come Bush is just now getting around to doing this if it's such an important thing to do?

7/14/2008, 06:57 PM
, Question: How come Bush is just now getting around to doing this if it's such an important thing to do?His father is the pres. who put the ban on in the first place. Just another reason why Bush Sr. didn't get re-elected. Took some huevos to spank his dad like that!

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2008, 07:05 PM
Question: How come Bush is just now getting around to doing this if it's such an important thing to do?

Because it's merely a symbolic gesture since he knows the Democratically controlled Congress will not follow suit. Gives the Repubs more ammunication to shoot at their Demo opponents this fall.. the old.. "See.. we Repubs are trying everything we can to help the poor and oppressed and the Dems are blocking us!"

The usual election year contrived bullcarp.

It's the Dems turn now to do something equally as contrived. :rolleyes:

soonerhubs
7/14/2008, 07:06 PM
This is more like pulling out the bandaid and handing it to congress to burn while Americans still suffer at the pumps.

Insert Democrat sound byte: "Besides isn't their like 58 million acres of land the Oil Companies aren't using?"

;)

Chuck Bao
7/14/2008, 07:16 PM
How much of that decision should be state's rights? I read somewhere that Arnnie doesn't agree to allow more drilling off of the California coast.

The more I read about it the more I think it is a red herring and get the finger pointing away from where it should.

Get building mass transit projects in our major cities and get people weened off of their cars.

soonerhubs
7/14/2008, 07:23 PM
:):):):) (http://www.pickensplan.com/)

***Patiently awaiting the negs.***

He's put together quite the ad campaign.

mdklatt
7/14/2008, 07:25 PM
The more I read about it the more I think it is a red herring and get the finger pointing away from where it should.

The entire basis of US energy "policy" since forever.

Whet
7/14/2008, 10:13 PM
mass transit, mass transit, mass transit!!!!

Too bad it's not that easy to implement in the majority of the country! Sure, in the very large metro areas, where very large numbers of people are employed in the "downtown" area, mass transit is possible. But, that is just a small minority of the population that could use (and is currently using). Tulsa, OKC, Norman, Dallas, and the list goes on - would not reap the benefit of developing similar mass transit systems, like Chicago or NYC. The costs would be billions, probably trillions, but would not provide the necessary "savings" in fuel to make the investment worth it. The mass transit mantra is yet another good phrase, but in reality, will not work for the majority of the U.S.!

Until there is an alternative fuel for the current hydrocarbon-based fuel, WE ARE dependent on petroleum! As such, we should be exploring and developing ALL potential areas of reserves. Yes, we should be exploring the CS, Anwar, and any other untapped areas. It may take a few years to get great production out of some of those untapped areas, but we need to start today.

Harvesting known production will not take years to see production come on line, so don't buy the oft repeated phrase "It won't help because it will take years to see any benefit" B.S.

A large percentage of the price of oil is based on speculative perception of fear, not any real problem of supply. So, if we start this massive exploration/production drive, that perception of hand-wringing worry would be seriously dampened, thus causing a drastic reduction in the speculative price of oil..... Combine that effort with changes in the minimum monetary requirements for spec fuel purchases, we should see real price relief....

But, we would not see anything like this effort because one party wants to keep the pressure on the American people for their personal gain. Why has Congress not passed an energy plan? Every year, the Administration has submitted a plan, but it has always been ignored by the current ruling party of Congress, and prior to that, was always subject to filibuster by the same party!

No, I didn't say we should give up on alternative sources! But, you can't switch to these alternative sources overnight, or within ten years. We must drill, mine and produce as much as we can until that time....

So, ignore the mantra in fav for the day, whether it be "mass transit is the answer" to "Bush lied, people died" and take a look at reality!

tulsaoilerfan
7/14/2008, 11:06 PM
So in response to this earth shaking news, how much did a barrel of oil drop in price today?

tommieharris91
7/14/2008, 11:13 PM
So in response to this earth shaking news, how much did a barrel of oil drop in price today?

Closed up about $0.30.

7/14/2008, 11:22 PM
So in response to this earth shaking news, how much did a barrel of oil drop in price today?Is this a serious Q? Gosh, I hope not, as the market knows the thieving congress will not budge.

SoonerKnight
7/14/2008, 11:46 PM
How much of that decision should be state's rights? I read somewhere that Arnnie doesn't agree to allow more drilling off of the California coast.

Get building mass transit projects in our major cities and get people weened off of their cars.

No, states right here! Off shore means Federal property!

yermom
7/14/2008, 11:54 PM
this is more like it:

http://dorgan.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=299624

speculation has caused the price increases to crazy levels. if i remember right, gas was about $2 when they mucked with the regulations. yet again people with politicians in their pockets make tons of cash with the regular citizen paying the price

tommieharris91
7/15/2008, 12:00 AM
The funnies thing about that bill is the false statement that the run-up isn't caused by simple fundamental issues. It is. The supply of oil will keep shrinking and the US consumption will not fall fast enough to keep up with the diminishing supply.

yermom
7/15/2008, 12:03 AM
but it still shouldn't have gone up so quickly. has the demand outpaced the supply?

i'm still pretty surprised we didn't learn anything from the 70's

tommieharris91
7/15/2008, 12:05 AM
but it still shouldn't have gone up so quickly. has the demand outpaced the supply?

i'm still pretty surprised we didn't learn anything from the 70's

Yes, demand has outpaced supply, especially in the US. Even at these prices, world demand for oil is still about 1.5x greater than world production.

Harry Beanbag
7/15/2008, 07:45 AM
Yes, demand has outpaced supply, especially in the US. Even at these prices, world demand for oil is still about 1.5x greater than world production.

Why aren't there shortages then? Your argument might make sense in 20 years, but it doesn't now.

Boomer.....
7/15/2008, 07:58 AM

Too bad it's not that easy to implement in the majority of the country! Sure, in the very large metro areas, where very large numbers of people are employed in the "downtown" area, mass transit is possible. But, that is just a small minority of the population that could use (and is currently using). Tulsa, OKC, Norman, Dallas, and the list goes on - would not reap the benefit of developing similar mass transit systems, like Chicago or NYC. The costs would be billions, probably trillions, but would not provide the necessary "savings" in fuel to make the investment worth it. The mass transit mantra is yet another good phrase, but in reality, will not work for the majority of the U.S.!

Mass transit has to be planned out and implemented before the cities grow. Most cities are too sprawled out now that it could never work much less finding the right-of-way to use for it.

Dallas does have a nice system between it and Ft. Worth. DART (http://www.dart.org/)

sooner_born_1960
7/15/2008, 07:59 AM
ANWR. Just saying.

Condescending Sooner
7/15/2008, 08:49 AM

Too bad it's not that easy to implement in the majority of the country!

Until there is an alternative fuel for the current hydrocarbon-based fuel, WE ARE dependent on petroleum! As such, we should be exploring and developing ALL potential areas of reserves. Yes, we should be exploring the CS, Anwar, and any other untapped areas. It may take a few years to get great production out of some of those untapped areas, but we need to start today.

A large percentage of the price of oil is based on speculative perception of fear, not any real problem of supply. So, if we start this massive exploration/production drive, that perception of hand-wringing worry would be seriously dampened, thus causing a drastic reduction in the speculative price of oil..... Combine that effort with changes in the minimum monetary requirements for spec fuel purchases, we should see real price relief....

But, we would not see anything like this effort because one party wants to keep the pressure on the American people for their personal gain. Why has Congress not passed an energy plan? Every year, the Administration has submitted a plan, but it has always been ignored by the current ruling party of Congress, and prior to that, was always subject to filibuster by the same party!

No, I didn't say we should give up on alternative sources! But, you can't switch to these alternative sources overnight, or within ten years. We must drill, mine and produce as much as we can until that time....

So, ignore the mantra in fav for the day, whether it be "mass transit is the answer" to "Bush lied, people died" and take a look at reality!

At last, someone who knows what he is talking about.

Fugue
7/15/2008, 08:49 AM
ANWR. Just saying.

the bears in the area are already on board.

http://www.polar.ch2m.com/Files/images/bearonipeline1.jpg

StoopTroup
7/15/2008, 09:41 AM
Last year I bought a few cases of oil for the oil changes on my vehicles.

Was I speculating?

I feel dirty.

BTW...Bears are cool.

tommieharris91
7/15/2008, 09:44 AM
Last year I bought a few cases of oil for the oil changes on my vehicles.

Was I speculating?

I feel dirty.

BTW...Bears are cool.

You actually have the product, so, no.

StoopTroup
7/15/2008, 09:45 AM
[relieved] :D

tommieharris91
7/15/2008, 10:01 AM
And right now, crude oil is trading about $3.00 lower today.