PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, and Good Riddance

Scott D
7/14/2008, 09:01 AM
Billy Packer out at CBS, to be replaced by Clark Kellogg

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3485871

Curly Bill
7/14/2008, 09:20 AM
I don't get all the Billy Packer hatred. Mike and Mike were talking about it this morning and neither of them were fans either, like they don't largely suck. Anyway, I'm not saying Billy Packer was the greatest or anything, but it didn't bother me to listen to him like it does say...Dick Vitale.

edit...add in Bill Walton as another that can be painful to listen to.

Ash
7/14/2008, 10:20 AM
Packer is a dinosaur whose commentary offers little if anything and is often off the mark.

He also thinks teams should get into the tourney as legacies. LOL

He was on top for a long time but all good things come to an end.

badger
7/14/2008, 10:27 AM
I like all the bobbleheads on Mike and Mike. However, as substitutes on that show have shown, both Mikes are interchangeable with other talking heads on the radio and I don't think there's any commentator other there who's irreplaceable.

Such is the case with Billy Packer. As much as I would love to love a "Packer," there is no question that he should take fan's opinions into account when commentating. Also, it's ignorant to say that a game is over when half of it isn't done yet. If one team can accomplish a huge lead in one half, who is to say the reverse won't happen in the next half, which it almost did?

You take fan's opinions into account because they are your audience. You speak for your audience, you wouldn't be speaking if you didn't have an audience and the only reason your position exists is for the benefit of the audience.

Billy Packer, Bill Walton, the Mikes, the list goes on, they're all replaceable commentators. I've even had my problems with the likes of Marv Albert and John Madden, the most irreplaceable commentators in the business, but even they can be taken out and replaced with another talking head.

In any event, goodbye and good luck (or good riddance, whatev). Obligatory "After years of posting, I started the Hollis Price thread, I shall take my business elsewhere, CEO of weird company I never heard of in Oklahoma City."

stoopified
7/15/2008, 12:27 PM
Now all that is left is for Digger Phelps to be drooped into a dark,deep (if not bottomless ) hole.

Ash
7/15/2008, 12:31 PM
Now all that is left is for Digger Phelps to be drooped into a dark,deep (if not bottomless ) hole.

Better put a lid on it or make sure it is bottomless -- he could just use the glow from his tie to find his way out.

badger
7/15/2008, 01:26 PM
Better put a lid on it or make sure it is bottomless -- he could just use the glow from his tie to find his way out.

Why stop at a Lid? Let's just throw him in the Prince of Persia dungeon and make sure the spikes pop out at the bottom when he falls.

Dun, dun DAAAAAAAA! :D

bri
7/15/2008, 02:34 PM
Finally, I can watch the Final Four with the sound on again.

Oh, wait, they'll still have that fairy Nantz on there, won't they?

F*ck.

silverwheels
7/15/2008, 02:44 PM
Should have been Raftery to take his place.

ONIONS!!!!

bri
7/15/2008, 03:42 PM
SEND IT IN, JEROME!!!

I propose a Gus Johnson/Bill Raftery SAP announce team for people who like to get drunk and yell during the Final Four.

cb4ou
7/15/2008, 04:07 PM
I am glad i am not the only one that think Mike and Mike is a joke.

Taxman71
7/15/2008, 04:32 PM
Packer followed the path from top of their profession to just mean-sounding grumpy old man paved by Keith Jackson, John Madden and others. I hate it when announcers think they are a head coach critiqueing every play by every player in the locker room. Raftery gets that it should be about positive entertainment.

Vitale has always been horrid and has been described as the anti-Billy Packer...that is, he sucks up to anyone and everything.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/15/2008, 05:14 PM
Finally, I can watch the Final Four with the sound on again.

Oh, wait, they'll still have that fairy Nantz on there, won't they?

F*ck.

Unfortunately. While I'm glad that it was Packer that was whacked, I sort of wish it was the other way around. I, too, was hoping for the dream pairing of Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery. Nantz should just stick to covering golf; I also propose that Kevin Harlan gets the network's No. 1 NFL gig with Phil Simms.

sooneron
7/15/2008, 05:14 PM
I've even had my problems with the likes of Marv Albert and John Madden, the most irreplaceable commentators in the business, but even they can be taken out and replaced with another talking head.

Madden? You must love his Favre humping style or something. Yeah, I need someone to tell me that it hurts to have your ankle rolled up on over and over and over and over for say, 5 minutes. He should have quit when he left fox. He should have quit before then.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/15/2008, 05:27 PM
Madden? You must love his Favre humping style or something. Yeah, I need someone to tell me that it hurts to have your ankle rolled up on over and over and over and over for say, 5 minutes. He should have quit when he left fox. He should have quit before then.
Madden has so "jumped the shark" that I don't even play his video game anymore. I play with NFL 2K5 instead and just update rosters every year. And yeah, he should have left the booth when Pat Summerall did.

badger
7/15/2008, 10:14 PM
Madden? You must love his Favre humping style or something.

Oh, so I suppose you like it when somebody gawks at your future spouse? Hellz no! Competition, my friend! How DARE he hit on my boyfriend Favre! Every Packer girl has had a crush on Favre at some point (especially after far-cuter Mark "Yes, he has a tight end" Chumura did that thing that I won't mention here). So yes, Madden can just eff off :D

Frozen Sooner
7/15/2008, 11:29 PM
Hey, you were right in Chewie's wheelhouse back then..

badger
7/22/2008, 09:44 AM
Madden has so "jumped the shark" that I don't even play his video game anymore. I play with NFL 2K5 instead and just update rosters every year. And yeah, he should have left the booth when Pat Summerall did.

You know, Blitz the League is coming out with a new version this year. Perhaps that would be the more fun variety?

EA's monopoly on the Neffel and the...um... Nehcaah is uber lame. Then again, they both have total monopolies on the best professional football and college players, so what do you expect besides more monopolies.

I would have thought by now that with the popularity of college and professional football, that there would have been some viable alternatives out there. Think of all the baseball and basketball leagues there are out there! You can be a professional golf or tennis player anywhere in the world. However, for football, you have two choices: here or Canada (and the CFL has sucky rules and suckier pay, from what I read).

I am quite hopeful that someday there will be another XFL or another try at the All American League or another USFL, because the players deserve it and the fans do too. Granted, the XFL folded in one season because of poor ratings and the AAFL didn't have enough money to even get to season one, but seriously - get your shizzle together and get an alternative up and running.

Scott D
7/22/2008, 05:23 PM
You mean the XFL didn't fail because Vincent Kennedy McMahon didn't really think out the whole "Strippers as Cheerleaders" idea? :)

walkoffsooner
7/22/2008, 05:32 PM
Vitale needs to go next. Packer was a basketball guru compared to that guy.

Taxman71
7/23/2008, 09:31 AM
The only thing worse than listening to Vitale do a college basketball game is listening to him talk about MLB, A-Rod, etc. on Mike & Mike in the mornings. He must have secret photos of EVERYONE at ESPN.

Vegas Sooner
7/23/2008, 02:29 PM
couldn't stand Packer.

r5TPsooner
7/23/2008, 02:35 PM
I don't get all the Billy Packer hatred. Mike and Mike were talking about it this morning and neither of them were fans either, like they don't largely suck. Anyway, I'm not saying Billy Packer was the greatest or anything, but it didn't bother me to listen to him like it does say...Dick Vitale.

edit...add in Bill Walton as another that can be painful to listen to.

I agree. At least they replaced him with someone that is decent in Kellogg.

Remembering Tom Stidham
7/23/2008, 03:36 PM
Now, if we could just get rid of Bob Barry, my day would be complete. Absolutely the worst play-by-play announcer I ever had to listen to. Bring back Kurt Gowdy.

badger
7/23/2008, 04:08 PM
Remember when Bud Wilkenson announced the Game of the Century?

I know what you're thinking: "Badger, you weren't even alive yet." No, but the entire gamecast as it appeared on CBS is now on SoonerSports.com. You should definitely check it out, if for no other reason than to laugh at retro sports graphics at the beginning :D

RacerX
7/23/2008, 07:03 PM
Mike and Mike were talking about it this morning and neither of them were fans either, like they don't largely suck.

They don't.

Curly Bill
7/23/2008, 07:06 PM
They don't.

You like Mike and Mike?

I listen to them occasionally and they're OK, other times not so much.