PDA

View Full Version : New Rule Changes for 2008

sooner59
7/13/2008, 09:24 PM
Don't know if this has been posted already, but if not, its pretty interesting. Alot of rule changes. Some I can handle, but several I don't care for.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/35981-2008-rule-changes-what-every-fan-needs-to-know

Stitch Face
7/13/2008, 09:32 PM
I thought this was gonna be another thread about the board.

Stitch Face
7/13/2008, 09:35 PM
What the rule change really does is take out one more human element from the game, and that is a shame.

Uh-huh...

The outcome of the game could well hinge on the subjective judgment of the referee—a tension that was a part of the beauty of the game.

Yeah, right...

Sooner_09
7/13/2008, 09:39 PM
About time they get rid of sideline warnings. TRRW is going to be so proud they finally implemented his rule in college.

Stitch Face
7/13/2008, 09:41 PM
Under the new rules, the clock will again stop when the ball is taken out of bounds. However, instead of waiting for the snap, the clock will again begin to run when the ball is marked ready for play.

will not be in effect during the last two minutes of each half

This rule is so necessary it will only be used part of the time, so the game can be faster but the last two minutes can still be thrilling! Dumb.

Stitch Face
7/13/2008, 09:45 PM
1) A horse-collar tackle—grabbing the back of the shoulder pads of a runner and jerking them down—will now be a personal foul

Sooner-n-ga in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Stitch Face
7/13/2008, 09:57 PM
Is this thing on?

Man, slow board. For a...Sunday night.

BermudaSooner
7/14/2008, 09:27 AM
The facemask rule change is ridiculous.

No sideline warning? Maybe I can get a job at OU as "get back" guy.

yermom
7/14/2008, 09:46 AM
you can probably thank Mack's stepson for the sideline warning change :D

the horse collar rule makes sense. i mean the NFL is trying to protect thier players for $$$ but college kids should probably have more safety rules than the pros IMO

i kinda like the face mask thing, just touching the face mask accidentally shouldn't be a penalty, but grabbing it enough to turn someone's head should be

i'm not sure about the clock changes. maybe it will be more clear later, i just hope there are still about the same number of plays

sooner518
7/14/2008, 09:48 AM
sweet. now i dont have to spend so much time watching football!:rolleyes:

Cam
7/14/2008, 10:13 AM
i kinda like the face mask thing, just touching the face mask accidentally shouldn't be a penalty, but grabbing it enough to turn someone's head should be

The way I read that one was that if called, they'll both be personal fouls.

Did I read that wrong?

swardboy
7/14/2008, 10:38 AM

Did I read that wrong?

That's what it sounds like to me. I think officials will feel pressure to call something, but the 5 yarder is not an option anymore....so here comes 15!

What a game-changer this could be....the intent was probably to cut down on face-mask penalties, but the opposite may be the result.

yermom
7/14/2008, 11:30 AM

Did I read that wrong?

maybe i was reading it how i wanted it to be... i'll try to find the actual wording somewhere

RedstickSooner
7/14/2008, 02:49 PM
The way the dude described it, they're all 15 yarders on the face mask.

And, I sure hope Stoops settles down some -- we got a *lot* of sideline warnings in the past. If each of those were 5 yard penalties, Stoops brain might explode. He's not fond of penalties. I cannot imagine how unfond he must be of penalties called on *him*.

yermom
7/14/2008, 03:41 PM
9-1-2-q (formerly s) (FR-119)
No player shall twist, turn or pull the face mask or any helmet opening of an opponent. It is not a foul if the face mask or helmet opening is not twisted, turned or pulled. When in question it is a foul. (A.R. 9-1-2-XV).

looks like i understood it right, but the original linked article kinda made it sound the other way

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2008, 04:22 PM
I like the intent of the new face mask rule, but I fear the implementation. It is supposed to get rid of those 5 yarders where there is no risk from touching the mask. I just hate it when the defense "wins" on a play only to have the offense bailed out on a ticky-tack facemask touch. This happens alot on pass rushers who have their hands in the air and barely touch the QB's mask. But if these turn into 15 yarders because the ref didn't get a good look, it will be even worst. I just hope the refs huddle on such a call and are not afraid to pick up a flag if someone had a better view.

Dan Thompson
7/14/2008, 09:28 PM
Now, if they would just implement the 30 yard penalty for “late hit out of bounds”
USC would have their best defensive play in serious trouble.

tulsaoilerfan
7/14/2008, 11:14 PM
I don't care for any of those changes; hell the sidelines at OU aren't very deep, so how can they expect the thousand or so on the sideline to see the game if they can't get close to it? Freaking Maroons

tulsaoilerfan
7/14/2008, 11:15 PM
About time they get rid of sideline warnings. TRRW is going to be so proud they finally implemented his rule in college.

Yeah, in place of the warning is a 5 yard penalty;that's an improvement for sure :mad:

OU-HSV
7/14/2008, 11:21 PM
I don't really care for any of these changes.
I guess the extra challenge given to the coach is a good thing...but remember we don't have a great record w/critical challenges anyways, so it probably won't have an impact on us

OU-HSV
7/14/2008, 11:37 PM
You know, the more I look at this "bleacherreport.com" site, the more I realize how stupid it is.
After my thread the other day and then what I've seen tonight, geeze.
If you click the "big 12 football" link on the right hand side of the page, the first thing that pops up is a big pic of Tebow. If you click in the list of "potential" heisman winners, Sam isn't even on the list. Gotta love the stuff these people are writing and coming up w/on that website.

Cam
7/15/2008, 02:29 PM
looks like i understood it right, but the original linked article kinda made it sound the other way

I like that wording much better. My guess is that there will be a lot more 15 yarders early in the year because the officials don't want to pick up a flag once it's been thrown. I hope that's not what happens, but...

Jacie
7/16/2008, 05:49 PM
I don't care for any of those changes; hell the sidelines at OU aren't very deep, so how can they expect the thousand or so on the sideline to see the game if they can't get close to it? Freaking Maroons

Perhaps there needs to be a civilian-free zone around the team areas of the sideline so there won't be so many people crammed into too small a space.

JLEW1818
7/16/2008, 05:55 PM
Ya honestly this could be a real key penalty in a big situation.

soonersn20xx
7/19/2008, 06:15 PM
I am afraid the new facemask rule will have negative effects on the game unless the officials are instructed not to throw a flag on simple brushes or touches. There should be a clear and distinct twist or hold of the facemask before that flag is thrown.

Rogue
7/20/2008, 06:16 PM
Most of these suck. Particularly the ones designed to further "speed up the game." Look, it's not basketball, mmmmKay? It's football. There is a pace and cadence to the game that is beautiful in its own right. Stop screwing with it, NCAA. And, not to be outdone by the NFL, now we have more rules that are only rules for the first 28 minutes of the half. Either it's a rule from start to finish or it's a gimmick.