PDA

View Full Version : So tell me why I should trade in my treo 650 in for an I Phone

LilSooner
7/13/2008, 07:45 PM
old wise ovarians?

I use my treo for work. I get my personal email and my corporate email (well I did until the bastards told me I could get it through gmail anymore and I'm to lazy to set it up the non ghetto way).

My company also has this brazilliant idea to put our quoting system on our blackberries/treo phones which is going to be a colossal phuck up of epic proportions.

So I'm hoping if I switch to the i phone I won't be able to access it which would be teh win.

So what other reasons should I make the switch?

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 07:48 PM
I guess the obvious 1st question is whay do you want an iPhone? Does your Treo perform poorly?

There are a lot of other phones on the market that perform much better and for less money than the iPhone.

Frozen Sooner
iPhone supports secure "push" e-mail from Exchange servers. Last Treo I had did not. Therefore, your company IT guys are likely to set it up for you without having to go the ghetto route.

16GB of music so you don't have to carry both a phone and an iPod.

SuperMonkeyBall.

The screens on an iPhone (in my experience) are a lot more durable than the screen on a Treo.

OUHOMER
everyone that I know that has an Iphone, has a cracked face. And if you have long finger nails , they get in the way. You have to use your finger tips not your nails.

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 07:55 PM
everyone that I know that has an Iphone, has a cracked face. And if you have long finger nails , they get in the way. You have to use your finger tips not your nails.

Anyone can load a phone with a 16GB memory card. The best thing going for the iphone is the color screen and the ipod that's built in. I can have 2 free iphones anytime that I want but I continue to use my Blackberry because call quality is much better and receiving e-mail has never been an issue for either me or the misses.

Plus, AT&T dropped the price of the iphone but raised the monthly service fee to use it. So, you'll actually be paying more for it now than you did two years ago.

LilSooner
7/13/2008, 07:56 PM
I can't have long finger nails in the OR so that's not an issue.

Really I just want something fun to play with during our national meetings. There are only so many hours that I can can listen to some one talk about gloves and the shortage there of.

yermom
7/13/2008, 07:56 PM
I guess the obvious 1st question is whay do you want an iPhone? Does your Treo perform poorly?

There are a lot of other phones on the market that perform much better and for less money than the iPhone.

link?

the Treo i messed with sucked monkey balls, maybe even more than my 8525

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 08:02 PM
I can't have long finger nails in the OR so that's not an issue.

Really I just want something fun to play with during our national meetings. There are only so many hours that I can can listen to some one talk about gloves and the shortage there of.

The Blackberry Curve is a pretty sweet phone. Plus, you actually get to hear what the other person is trying to say to you on a phone call. There is also another Blackberry coming out in the fall from AT&T. I read about it a few weeks ago but I'm too lazy to search for a link. It got rave reviews tho.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-9985055-62.html?hhTest=1

yermom
7/13/2008, 08:08 PM
the Curve looks cool, but i'm not sold on the interface for Blackberry vs. the Apple one.

i absolutely hated the Blackberry i had, and the one with the goofy keyboard with two letters per key is ****ing retarded

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 08:15 PM
the Curve looks cool, but i'm not sold on the interface for Blackberry vs. the Apple one.

i absolutely hated the Blackberry i had, and the one with the goofy keyboard with two letters per key is ****ing retarded

That's easily adjusted in settings.

yermom
7/13/2008, 08:20 PM
the Blackberry i had was great for sending and recieving email, everything else was a bit of an afterthought

i don't think you can beat the screen, web browser or mp3 player on the iPhone. the phone doesn't seem too bad either

it still lacks a couple of things i'd like to see, but an AIM client is a good thing to see so far

LilSooner
7/13/2008, 08:26 PM
My treo is ok, although it's getting harder to hear people on it. It does the job, but I have had it for three years and with all the hub bub about the iphone i thought it would be cool to have.

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 08:28 PM
I don't use the mp3 player so that's one of the reasons I have not owned it. Plus the call quality is e=teh suck from many reviews that I've read which is unacceptable.

yermom
7/13/2008, 08:34 PM
no one i know has griped about that really, but i hear the new ones are better

hurricane'bone
7/13/2008, 09:05 PM
There's a lot of bull**** being tossed around in this thread

LilSooner
7/13/2008, 09:09 PM
So clear it up for me.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 09:15 PM
There's a lot of bull**** being tossed around in this thread

HB, you bought an iPhone at launch, and if I recall didn't you have a Treo before? What are your thoughts.

For me, the only things I miss from the Treo compared to the iPhone is that the Treo could sync over Bluetooth and supported OBFX (so I could push my address book to my car interface.

Call quality seems superior to me on the iPhone.

Syncing with Outlook seems superior.

Web browsing is far superior.

Durability is superior-my Treo's screen blew up after about six months.

bluedogok
7/13/2008, 09:52 PM
Everyone that I have known with a Treo went to something else, some went to a Motorola Que (Verizon customers) or an iPhone (AT&T customers) and some switched from Verizon to AT&T to get an iPhone. I have a Samsung Blackjack (AT&T customer), it is average at everything. When I come up for renewal I will be switching to an 3G iPhone. My iPod's (old 4G 40gb iPod and newer 160gb iPod Classic) are the only Apple products that I own, so it is not like I am a Mac-fan or anything.

hurricane'bone
7/13/2008, 10:22 PM
I sent a PM to lil going into more detail, so I'll just post a shorten version here.

Full disclosure: I did work for Apple at the time of the first iPhone launch, however - I had planned to buy one prior to going to work for them.

The only thing that I missed about my Treo was cut and paste. Obviously things like the screen, storage capacity, and OS have been discussed over and over.

I guess the biggest thing for me that has made the iPhone more valuable is the App Store. It absolutely kicks ***. Seriously. If you have iTunes take a look at the over 500 Apps that were available at launch.

Like bluedogok said, everyone I know has ditched their Treo or has plans to, my parents just ditched theirs, my mom for my old iPhone, and my dad for a regular phone. Brother, to an iPhone. Others have switched to other phones that I just can't remember right now.

People will always complain but in my experience between iPhone and Treo/Blackberry/every phone I've had, there is no comparison - the iPhone wins hands down, especially now with the 2.0 update.

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2008, 10:28 PM
The call clarity problem has been fixed with the 3G. I ended up picking one yesterday at AT&T and love it. Fits better in your hand than the 1st one.

Exchange was easy to setup. Wish you could automatically see which sub folders had new emails without having to click in them first. Also, MANY iPod steros and accessories don't charge the 3G phone. They've disabled all FireWire charging. Other than that, no complaints. Glad they ditched the recessed headphone jack.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 11:04 PM
The call clarity problem has been fixed with the 3G. I ended up picking one yesterday at AT&T and love it. Fits better in your hand than the 1st one.

Exchange was easy to setup. Wish you could automatically see which sub folders had new emails without having to click in them first. Also, MANY iPod steros and accessories don't charge the 3G phone. They've disabled all FireWire charging. Other than that, no complaints. Glad they ditched the recessed headphone jack.

Yeah, the reconfiguration of the 20-pin connector pisses me off a bit. Supposedly Apple has an adapter in the works so you can use your old accessories with the 3G iPhone.

So far, the following accessories that I own will not charge a 3G iPhone:

Denon iPod Adapter
Mercedes iPod integration kit
Altec Lansing inMotion speakers (which have worked with EVERY iPod from 1st Generation until now!)
Klipsch iPod Speaker Dock

:mad:

(And yeah, I broke down and bought a 3G. I'm a tard.)

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 11:06 PM
OK, I just checked instead of assuming. The Denon adapter works to charge the phone. So there's that. The Benz and the two speaker docks definitely don't, though.

colleyvillesooner
7/14/2008, 12:05 AM
yeah the wifes car has a direct line that let's you change the song from the steering wheel..no longer charges. Haven't tried it yet on our portable iPod "boombox"

I'm sure that adapter is gonna look reel nice sticking off every dock/audio piece :mad:

Frozen Sooner
7/14/2008, 12:23 AM
yeah the wifes car has a direct line that let's you change the song from the steering wheel..no longer charges. Haven't tried it yet on our portable iPod "boombox"

I'm sure that adapter is gonna look reel nice sticking off every dock/audio piece :mad:

Yep, that's exactly what mine does. The menus and such are displayed in the instrument cluster. Still works, but just won't charge.

On the bright side, Apple is pretty big on form being as important as function, so maybe the adapter will look OK. It'd be pretty easy to just make the adapter be the same form factor as the base of an iPod Classic so it'll just fit in to your old docks.

LilSooner
7/21/2008, 09:40 AM
Ok so Iphone is out. Our IT says that is is not supported on our system. We have to use good link to get our email to our phones.

He said something about Iphone killers, but didn't tell me what phones they were.

Any ideal what I should look at next?

Thanks

yermom
7/21/2008, 09:55 AM
hmm... that's weird. i guess they just don't want to support them.

i don't run exchange, but i didn't think they needed special software to work

my understanding is that they aren't quite as robust with Active Sync though, it probably needs some time, it's new and it works, but it's not really a competitor in that area yet IMO

complaints i've heard so far include disabling constant pushes which kills the battery, and no way to downgrade to EDGE instead of 3G to save battery

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/21/2008, 10:00 AM
My company doesn't support the iPhone - we're a Blackberry people. I'd love to get one, though. But since I can't, I think Immina get me one of these widgets when they come out.

There's another video there on the right that compares the Bold to the iPhone. One's better at some things and the other's better at other things.

I don't know if you can wait a little bit but if you can - whooboy.

http://news.cnet.com/blackberry-bold-debut/?hhTest=1

9wf41zgLf_M

yermom
7/21/2008, 10:04 AM
the Curve seemed ok

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/21/2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, that was what I was going to get before I saw this thing. They had really good reliability ratings but the video was always referred to as a bit weak. Whatever that means...

As awesome as this new looks it doesn't really matter. In a few months something even more awesome will come out and I'll be all :mad: .

It's hard to keep up nowadays what with how expensive these things are getting.

shaun4411
7/21/2008, 10:13 AM
iphone supports push for exchange. also for enterprise servers if you have one. you can turn this feature off to save battery.

far superior screen (which is durable if you actually you know...take care of it as you would any expensive toy). call quality much better with 3g model. very dependable software. if your iphone is jailbroken, your experience will be much more enjoyable. you can pretty much do ANYTHING with it at that point. including any number of apps that really unleash its power. i.e. MMS (that's right, MMS), video recorder, screenshot utility, battery meter utility, Instant messenger, hundreds of games including NES emulator, rss feeds, web shortcuts, the ability to block incoming sms or calls from specific numbers..and many many many more. the iphone is more customizeable than lunch at a chinese buffet.

the biggest (only) knock i have found is the battery life. it just isnt that good. other than that, its a computer that does everything, and just happens to make phone calls.

colleyvillesooner
7/21/2008, 11:59 AM
the Curve seemed ok

My wife loves hers.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2008, 12:02 PM
my wife just sent her curve back to get the palm centro...

I m currently working with the lg vu 920....its alright

soonerboomer93
7/21/2008, 12:03 PM
my understanding is that the new exchange server will have built in blackberry communication, so you'll no longer need a seperate blackberry server. Even though it's a negative to Blackberry in some ways, it's also a boon because it will help them remain the leader in pda/smartphones.

Honestly, it's going to take a long time for many IT departments to accept the iPhone. It's seen as an music player/toy first, with the other things being secondary.

LilSooner
7/21/2008, 12:08 PM
My company doesn't support the iPhone - we're a Blackberry people. I'd love to get one, though. But since I can't, I think Immina get me one of these widgets when they come out.

There's another video there on the right that compares the Bold to the iPhone. One's better at some things and the other's better at other things.

I don't know if you can wait a little bit but if you can - whooboy.

http://news.cnet.com/blackberry-bold-debut/?hhTest=1

9wf41zgLf_M
Yeah that looks awesome! I have never had a blackberry. I was going to get one in 2005 but that was when they were in their lawsuit with RIM.

shaun4411
7/21/2008, 12:09 PM
my understanding is that the new exchange server will have built in blackberry communication, so you'll no longer need a seperate blackberry server. Even though it's a negative to Blackberry in some ways, it's also a boon because it will help them remain the leader in pda/smartphones.

Honestly, it's going to take a long time for many IT departments to accept the iPhone. It's seen as an music player/toy first, with the other things being secondary.

they may not have to. if you have pop/imap protocols or use owa, you can connect using the iphone. its those people still using goodlink/goodmobile or xpressmail or blackberry enterprise servers that havent been sold on iphone. a lot of exchange servers are owa accessible which would work.

SeattleOUstudent
7/21/2008, 12:18 PM
Why should you? Because it's not 2005 anymore?

LilSooner
7/21/2008, 12:20 PM
Why should you? Because it's not 2005 anymore?

It's gotta be better than the treo and those stupid palm centro things.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/21/2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, apparently they're also releasing the Blackberry Thunder after the Bold is released.

It's basically their touchscreen version. Just like the iPhone. I HATE touchscreens so I'm still wanting a Bold.

'Thunder'. Heh.

http://gizmodo.com/389923/touchscreen-blackberry-thunder-coming-exclusively-to-verizon

bluedogok
7/21/2008, 09:50 PM
complaints i've heard so far include disabling constant pushes which kills the battery, and no way to downgrade to EDGE instead of 3G to save battery
I read somewhere that you could disable 3G searching to save battery.

I guess that sometimes it can be a good thing to be your own IT department...and my boss is a gadget freak so he already has one (and the prior model) so we get to debug his first.

LilSooner
7/27/2008, 09:29 PM
So I got an email on Thursday that my company will now support the IPhone!

So my dear, sweet wonderful husband let me stand in line today after a crazy weekend up in Tulsa to get my IPhone.

I am in so in love with this damn phone it ridonkulous. It is so freaking cool and I am so happy that I went ahead and got it.

Thanks for everyone for your input I really appreciate it.

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2008, 09:57 PM
So I got an email on Thursday that my company will now support the IPhone!

So my dear, sweet wonderful husband let me stand in line today after a crazy weekend up in Tulsa to get my IPhone.

I am in so in love with this damn phone it ridonkulous. It is so freaking cool and I am so happy that I went ahead and got it.

Thanks for everyone for your input I really appreciate it.

have fun wasting hours on end for the next couple of days. :D

Here is a good forum for questions and information about future updates etc:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/

shaun4411
7/29/2008, 05:44 PM
modmyifone.com too.

dont forget to google dev-team jailbreak to jailbreak your phone.