PDA

View Full Version : Car shopping..anyone familiar w/these cars?

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:35 PM
It's official...our car wreck a little over a week ago totaled our car. I've been shopping on line and we spent ALL weekend driving around (in our other car) to various used car lots shopping and test driving.
Our budget (thanks to the not so great insurance check minus my deductible) is limiting us to a lower price range...which obviously limits us to slim options of family cars. Therefore, when the wife and I have spent way too much time together...talking about and looking at cars and my wife being picky...it's been a rather frustrating weekend. Hell...it's been a rather frustrating week and a half actually. So I thought I'd turn to my fellow Soonerfans for some input.

A few cars that have interested us are a couple of Plymouth Breezes and a couple Ford Contours.
I'm not much of a Ford guy..never really have been. But we found a couple clean, low mileage contours and I wondered if any of you drive, or have heard good or bad things about these cars???

Also, I have the same question in regards to the plymouth breeze and chrysler sebring.

Thanks for any help.

Okla-homey
7/13/2008, 07:37 PM
It's official...our car wreck a little over a week ago totaled our car. I've been shopping on line and we spent all weekend driving around (in our other car) to various used car lots shopping and test driving.
Our budget (thanks to the insurance check) is limiting us to a lower price range...which obviously limits us to slim options of family cars.

However, a few cars that have interested us are a couple of Plymouth Breezes and a couple Ford Contours.
I'm not much of a Ford guy..never really have been. But we found a couple clean, low mileage contours and I wondered if any of you drive, or have heard good or bad things about these cars???

Also, I have the same question in regards to the plymouth breeze and chrysler sebring.

Thanks for any help.

For a family truckster, I'd go with anything Japanese or Korean in your price range.

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:40 PM
Most of the Kias, Hondas, toyotas, etc. have been just out of our reach on price.
We've been looking at saturns, chryslers, plymouths, chevys, etc. due to the high value of the hondas, toyotas, etc.

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 07:40 PM
I drove a Ford Contour one summer working for the Gov't. It performed well enough for me, and it was a high mileage fleet car. The Contour was the Ford "World" Car at the time, and as such was engineered for sales in a wide variety of markets. They were the same as the popular Mondeo in Europe but built in Missouri, and as such have more of an import feel to them. I believe the Breeze was a Stratus rebadge. I'd take the Contour over the Plymouth if you can get one with the 2.5 Duratec.

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:42 PM
I drove a Ford Contour one summer working for the Gov't. It performed well enough for me, and it was a high mileage fleet car. The Contour was the Ford "World" Car at the time, and as such was engineered for sales in a wide variety of markets. I believe the were imported from Europe, and as such have more of an import feel to them. I believe the Breeze was a Stratus rebadge.

Cool, thanks for that info.

Yeah the Breeze and Stratus seem to be the same car as far as I can tell

Whet
7/13/2008, 07:42 PM
we used to have a contour as a 'company' car. I kept hitting my knee on the lower dash, getting in and out of the little car.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 07:43 PM
Much as I hate to say it, if I were in the market for an affordable family car right now I'd be all about a Hyundai. Reliable, decent styling, good value.

Okla-homey
7/13/2008, 07:43 PM
Most of the Kias, Hondas, toyotas, etc. have been just out of our reach on price.
We've been looking at saturns, chryslers, plymouths, chevys, etc. due to the high value of the hondas, toyotas, etc.

You're in BA right? These dealers over by me here on South Memorial are selling hail damaged rides purportedly for cheap. Have you checked out the Toyota place for hail deals? Especially on off-lease vehicles?

Also, I really like that Dodge place up on Memorial by the expressway. They used to be called East Tulsa Dodge. They are really trying hard to become a player. The dealership is the only female black owned Chrysler dealership in the US and I have been very pleased with the service post-sale.

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:44 PM
we used to have a contour as a 'company' car. I kept hitting my knee on the lower dash, getting in and out of the little car.

Yeah, I haven't got to test drive the countours yet, we found them today.

But I'm only 5'10" on a good day...so my short legs shouldn't hit the dash (hopefully)

r5TPsooner
Plymouth builds junk, plain and simple. The only Ford that I would personally purchase with my own money is the Edge.

I'd go with a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan personally. There is a reason why those vehicles cost more and hold there resale value better than most other nameplates. Hyundai would be my 4th choice. Probably the Sonata or one of there midsize SUV's.

Good luck.

OUHOMER
My daughter has a 2000 sebring. I dont know if i can say yea or nay. I have put more money into this thing in the last year than it is worth. But it still running, and she is HARD on cars. Our sales guy has a new sebring. been in the shop 4 times in the last year.

olevetonahill
7/13/2008, 07:45 PM
The Contour is Known for Tranny probs
The Sebrings Ive seen seem to have a lot of problems with the Electronic instrement cluster
The breeze Is ok But not great .

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:46 PM
Much as I hate to say it, if I were in the market for an affordable family car right now I'd be all about a Hyundai. Reliable, decent styling, good value.

Those look to be great vehicles...I've checked out the new lot in B.A. "automax" and their used hyundai are also out of our reach...unless we give up on finding a cash deal and end up financing a little.

MR2-Sooner86
7/13/2008, 07:48 PM
Since you're looking at brands I suggest looking at Consumer Reports on which company makes a better car.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/buying-advice/which-companies-make-the-best-cars/overview/0407_best_cars.htm

As has been stated, Japanease cars are the way to go. Of the American makers it seems Ford and GM go over Chrysler.

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:48 PM
You're in BA right? These dealers over by me here on South Memorial are selling hail damaged rides purportedly for cheap. Have you checked out the Toyota place for hail deals? Especially on off-lease vehicles?

Honestly the only car lots on memorial I went to was the new lot "car max"...all too $$.
Then hit up a few in Bixby. I need to give the rest of those on south memorial a look though. Good thinking. Thanks

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 07:49 PM
Have you looked at a Nissan Altima or Toyota Corolla with just your basic options? Both hold resale and run like sewing machines.

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 07:51 PM
BTW, the last place to look for neutral information on cars is Consumer Reports. Everyone knows that those guys are anything but neutral and there reviews in the past have proven that a few bucks in there pockets can land you a decent review. That is, if they even actually test drive the car that they're supposedly reviewing at all.

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:52 PM
Have you looked at a Nissan Altima or Toyota Corolla with just your basic options? Both hold resale and run like sewing machines.

Haven't seen an altima at any lots in our price range...however I've seen a couple corollas. If I find a good looking deal on a corolla, I'll probably jump on it cause we had really good luck with our toyota camry we used to own. Loved it actually.

Newbomb Turk
I'd go with a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan personally. There is a reason why those vehicles cost more and hold there resale value better than most other nameplates.

exactly. I'd consider financing a bit and getting a more reliable vehicle.

I drive an 03 Altima and have had zero problems with it. (knock on wood)

OUHOMER
Check out http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/carsales/home.do

they have good deals, and if you are a member of Weokie credit union you get a discount

Okla-homey
7/13/2008, 07:56 PM
The Sebrings Ive seen seem to have a lot of problems with the Electronic instrement cluster

But Vet, this '08 Charger is waaay cool. Super Bee baybee.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3931/superbeeprofileresizedhq1.jpg

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 07:57 PM
Oh and what about the Chevy Malibu??
Thats another one that we've seen near our price range

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 07:58 PM
Haven't seen an altima at any lots in our price range...however I've seen a couple corollas. If I find a good looking deal on a corolla, I'll probably jump on it cause we had really good luck with our toyota camry we used to own. Loved it actually.

I have a golfing buddy back in Wisconsin who used to drive a truck around until fuel prices went thru the roof. He purchased a new Corolla with just AC and power windows and locks. The drive is comfortable, the gas mileage excellent and after three years of ownership he's done nothing to it but normal maintenance.

You can't go wrong with a Toyota.

Good luck.

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 07:58 PM
Also. Take a look at Buick's. Multiple member of my family love to buy used Buicks because they were almost always driven lightly by little old folk. You can get them cheap and they come pretty solid especially if you get it with the 3800 V6. I know that my family has rode them out to 250-300K on several occasions.

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 07:59 PM

What year?

MR2-Sooner86
7/13/2008, 08:00 PM
Something I also forgot to add if you go for used cars.

I didn't know Kelley Blue Book isn't used anymore.

I guess they use Black Book now for used cars.

Anyway, here's a link to both in case you're looking at used cars.

http://www.blackbookusa.com/
http://www.kbb.com/

olevetonahill
7/13/2008, 08:01 PM

what engine ?

Newbomb Turk
7/13/2008, 08:01 PM

I had a 1975 Malibu. It was a solid vehicle. :D

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 08:07 PM
What year?

I'm thinking the ones we've seen were '98, '99, and 2000 that were close to our price.

V-6 engines

OKC-SLC
7/13/2008, 08:10 PM
But I'm only 5'10" on a good day...so my short legs shouldn't hit the dash (hopefully)

If you're 5'10", I'm 6'4".

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 08:10 PM
I have a golfing buddy back in Wisconsin who used to drive a truck around until fuel prices went thru the roof. He purchased a new Corolla with just AC and power windows and locks. The drive is comfortable, the gas mileage excellent and after three years of ownership he's done nothing to it but normal maintenance.

You can't go wrong with a Toyota.

Good luck.

I did a 50 mile camry and corolla search on autotrader.com in my price range and this is all I turn up.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=used&distance=50&address=74014&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=TOYOTA&model=CAMRY&make2=TOYOTA&model2=COROL&make3=&start_year=1998&end_year=2009&min_price=3000&max_price=5000&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

I'm gonna up the price and see what else turns up now.

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 08:12 PM
I'm thinking the ones we've seen were '98, '99, and 2000 that were close to our price.

V-6 engines I think they are okay, but those had the 3.1 V6 which isn't near the engine that the 3.8 is. If you are going to look at a GM product look for the 3.8. They are rock solid. It was named one of the 10 best motors of the 20th Century by Ward's Automotive Journal.

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 08:27 PM
If you're 5'10", I'm 6'4".

Hey dangit.....ef u. Haha

I said on a good day...My actual honest to God height is probably 5'9-1/2" if we want to get technical.

OU-HSV
7/13/2008, 08:34 PM
Would you all be hesitant of this kind of mileage on a Toyota corolla??

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?result_car_id=247949984&dealership_view_name=aztekamotor&car_id=247949984&dealer_id=58025120

...I mean my camry was running strong at like 140K when I traded it in. So I would think a Corolla would be just as solid.

Sooner24
7/13/2008, 08:41 PM
I have two Corollas. A 1994 model I bought new and a 1997 model I bought new. Still have both with the 1997 model being driven by my son at OU with over 200,000 miles and I still slum around in my 1994 model with over 180,000 miles. Two most reliable cars I have ever owned. I am getting ready to start car shopping in the next couple of months and will either get a Corolla or a Camry.

Sooner24
7/13/2008, 08:43 PM

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?result_car_id=247949984&dealership_view_name=aztekamotor&car_id=247949984&dealer_id=58025120

...I mean my camry was running strong at like 140K when I traded it in. So I would think a Corolla would be just as solid.

That's quite a few miles for a 2000 model IMO.

SoonerInKCMO
7/13/2008, 08:51 PM

I'll let you know after I put another 90k on mine. ;)

Sooner24
7/13/2008, 10:44 PM

Are you saying this is a transsexual auto! :eek:

Norman Sooner
7/13/2008, 10:51 PM
I have a 05 Chevy Impala and it gets around 31 mpg on the highway and about 23-24 in the city. I think it is a good car. I paid around 14k for it with 18,000 miles. I tend to be more poor than the rest of you guys so i thought it mght be in your range. Also, you might want to check Knipplemeir in Blanchard, very low hassle.

Mixer!
7/13/2008, 11:30 PM
But Vet, this '08 Charger is waaay cool. Super Bee baybee.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3931/superbeeprofileresizedhq1.jpg

Looks like it was designed by the Lee brothers: Cheap, Crude, and Ug. :texan:

RADsooner
7/14/2008, 12:11 AM
my wife has a 2006 Ford Fusion SEL, have had nothing but good out of it- was rated by consumer reports as the only american made in the class with the imports to have high reliability.

OU-HSV
7/14/2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all your input everyone.
We have settled on buying a 2001 Saturn L300 with a 3.0 V-6 engine.
Great looking, in very, very good shape. Looks almost brand new honestly. Drives awesome, everything works, and has a nice "get up and go" to the engine...
we found that we have to finance just a little bit to get a much better quality vehicle than what we were previously looking at.

So anyways, thanks again.

Whet
7/14/2008, 10:31 PM
good for you! Congratulations on your choice of vehicle.

OKC-SLC
7/15/2008, 12:25 AM
My actual honest to God height is probably 5'9-1/2"

If you're 5'9-1/2", I'm 6'3-1/2".

OU-HSV
7/16/2008, 10:27 PM
If you're 5'9-1/2", I'm 6'3-1/2".

Ha, that works then

r5TPsooner
7/16/2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all your input everyone.
We have settled on buying a 2001 Saturn L300 with a 3.0 V-6 engine.
Great looking, in very, very good shape. Looks almost brand new honestly. Drives awesome, everything works, and has a nice "get up and go" to the engine...
we found that we have to finance just a little bit to get a much better quality vehicle than what we were previously looking at.

So anyways, thanks again.

Saturn is a good choice. I'd prefer it over Ford and I'd definitely prefer it over anything made by Chrysler.

Good luck with it.