PDA

View Full Version : OU vs georgia in title game???

SoonerKnight
7/13/2008, 07:06 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/34711-dream-matchup-oklahoma-georgia-for-the-2009-national-championship

This guy likes the idea!

Dream Matchup: Oklahoma-Georgia for the 2009 National Championship
Oklahoma against Georgia in the national championship. Now there's a bold prediction from Daniel Brommer.

For the past few weeks I've heard nothing but championship predictions. I've heard everything from USC against Florida, USC against West Virginia, USC against anybody basically. I gotta say that it's getting old.

Yes, USC is loaded again, but what else is new. The only thing I have against that is that, wasn't USC loaded last year? And they still lost to Standford????

I'll say it again, Stanford.

Florida is loaded, again. They lost four games though last year, four. And we're ready to crown them the national champions already. I'll be interested in seeing the way they perform this year with so many new weapons on offense and a solid defense.

West Virginia? Pass. I'll take anyone over them. Ever since the Pat White era started, everyone has predicted them to not only go to the big game, but to win it. That's neither her nor there—bottom line is that you can't make it to a national championship getting owned by USF and having all your dreams shattered by Pitt.

I'll go a different route. I'm predicting Oklahoma vs. Georgia, and why not? Who doesn't like Bobby Stoops or Mark Richt. They are great coaches in their own right. Stoops has another solid team, and Georgia should've been playing for the national championship last year.

I know they didn't win the SEC, but I would've taken Georgia over LSU any day of the week last year.

The only hole in my prediction is these guys have crazy schedules. Oklahoma has home games against Chattanooga, Cincinnati, TCU, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, and Texas Tech. They have away games at Washington, Baylor, Kansas State, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State.

This doesn't look like a hard schedule, but if Kansas plays the way they did last year and if Texas Tech is what everyone is predicting them to be, this could be a tough road for the Sooners. There's always Texas too.

Then there's Georgia. This is where it gets tricky. They have home games against Georgia Southern, Central Michigan, Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Georgia Tech.

Then there's their road games. South Carolina, Arizona State, Tennessee, LSU, Kentucky, and Auburn. Not to mention the "neutral site" game with Florida in Jacksonville. I would say Oklahoma has the better chance of getting it done than Georgia.

The thing both teams have going for them is their players. Oklahoma found gems in Sam Bradford and DeMarco Murrey, who is a burner and makes Reggie Bush-like plays.

Their offensive line is massive and their defense is still young and ready, even with the departures of key defensive players like Reggie Smith and Curtis Lofton. They have a lot of talent across the board though, enough to get them to where they want to be.

Georgia, on the other hand, is loaded. Matt Stafford is a growing star. His sophomore year was a giant upgrade from his freshman year. Then there's Knowshon Moreno, who I pick to win this season's Heisman. He's a monster, 1,334 yards rushing with 14 rushing touchdowns last season.

They have a solid receiving core, and their defense is very good with standout cover corner Asher Allen. If these guys can get through their grueling schedule, they will no question be the favorite to win the national championship.

Bottom line is this: both of these teams have great players, great offensive lines, and great coaches. Barring injury, and getting through their schedules, we should see this matchup at the end of the year in the BCS National Championship game.

Sorry USC fans, but I don't think Sanchez is your answer. As for Florida, I might be wrong about this, but when Georgia faces them on November 1, that game will decide who goes to the national championship.

JLEW1818
7/13/2008, 11:42 PM
Oklahoma vs USC/Auburn

King Crimson
7/13/2008, 11:58 PM
guy lists Texas as a home game.

cred=none.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/14/2008, 12:40 AM
I'm damn sick and tired of the over blown preseason predictions of who will be playing in the national championship game and the crappy back-slapping that goes on among some as a result.

That's not to say I don't like the pre-season rags and/or their initial Top 25 lists. They are fine as a starting point and a good synopsis of the key players in the race.... but that's it.

Square up and face the truth, my brothers and sisters of the chruch of Sooner Magic:

Cincinatti was a 10-win team last year, and lost to West Virginia 28-23. (i.e. they held them to 3 touchdowns less than we held them and were within a field goal and safety of what we were able to score against WV.)

Before we get all a-twitter about our prospects for this season, how about we beat somebody first. And not have a letdown against someone like KSU second.

Really, it sucks that players can read this crap. The fact of the matter is that too many of them buy into it. And I can prove it:

OU v. Colorado 2007.

Marcus Dupree.

If I were Stoops I'd set up bunks and desks in the Everest Center, and the walk to class would be as close as they ever got to "the real world" during the season. They can be normal students during the spring.

Oh, and I'd bane most of you to prevent you from any undue influence. ;) :P

RedstickSooner
7/14/2008, 03:19 AM
Oklahoma vs USC/Auburn

I dunno, I pump sunshine as much as the next guy, but I'm not totally on board with the idea that we'd win if we faced USC *and* Auburn.

Do we play them back-to-back, or somehow simultaneously?

OUDoc
7/14/2008, 08:07 AM
I dunno, I pump sunshine as much as the next guy, but I'm not totally on board with the idea that we'd win if we faced USC *and* Auburn.

No, 22 men on the field for their "team". And I say we still win by 3 TD's. ;)

King Crimson
7/14/2008, 08:14 AM

it's like 3 dimensional chess on Star Trek.

Miko
7/14/2008, 08:19 AM

It's like an allstar game. They all wear matching jerseys, but wear their own helmets, some aub, some sc.

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 09:51 AM

Your right Redsticksooner

KantoSooner
7/14/2008, 10:16 AM
Friend, jlew, we're friends here. I fear overconfidence, like you. But, frankly, at OU, that's going to be a coaching challenge pretty much every year. I like our chances this season and would argue our case on paper. But the games take place in an environment of mass chance. No way at this stage to do anything other than chest pounding.
only a little while left to go......

Bourbon St Sooner
7/14/2008, 04:43 PM
Really, it sucks that players can read this crap. The fact of the matter is that too many of them buy into it.

I don't disagree with you oda, but the fact is that every top team has to deal with the same thing and champions figure out a way to keep their focus and win games (or luck into championship games like leslie last year).

We need to learn from our mistakes and quit repeating them, because we've repeated that 2001 aggie game at least once every year since.

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2008, 04:46 PM
I'm damn sick and tired of the over blown preseason predictions of who will be playing in the national championship game and the crappy back-slapping that goes on among some as a result.
Really, it sucks that players can read this crap. The fact of the matter is that too many of them buy into it. And I can prove it:

OU v. Colorado 2007.

Pre-season hype is an issue for all elite teams, so the playing field is even in that regard. But I must differ on my pet peeve game of '07 (since I live here in Boulder). That was a coaching disaster - not a player problem. The offensive game plan was terrible and that loss ultimately kept us out of the BCS final (we would have been forgiving for TT). We tried to just steam-roll CU with pure muscle. That is about the only game plan that CU could stand up to. CU had a decent D-line and Dizon was a tackling machine at LB. But they had no answer to isolating talented skill players in space and OU had plenty of those last year. And the old rule about a tired defense in the 4th quarter counts at least 5x up here at 5300' of altitude. Go look at how many plays we ran in the 2nd half of that game vs. the CU offense. Mizzou showcased their talent against CU and blew them off the field. We should have done the same. Grrrr, I get mad just thinking about it.

Ironically, I think the 2 interceptions cost us that game. Not Sam's picks - the picks our defense provided. It gave us 2 quick scores which in turn kept us in the same game plan that already wasn't working. I know CU didn't plan it that way, but it was like getting hustled at pool.

silverwheels
7/14/2008, 04:58 PM
I don't see either team making it.

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 05:09 PM
Pre-season hype is an issue for all elite teams, so the playing field is even in that regard. But I must differ on my pet peeve game of '07 (since I live here in Boulder). That was a coaching disaster - not a player problem. The offensive game plan was terrible and that loss ultimately kept us out of the BCS final (we would have been forgiving for TT). We tried to just steam-roll CU with pure muscle. That is about the only game plan that CU could stand up to. CU had a decent D-line and Dizon was a tackling machine at LB. But they had no answer to isolating talented skill players in space and OU had plenty of those last year. And the old rule about a tired defense in the 4th quarter counts at least 5x up here at 5300' of altitude. Go look at how many plays we ran in the 2nd half of that game vs. the CU offense. Mizzou showcased their talent against CU and blew them off the field. We should have done the same. Grrrr, I get mad just thinking about it.

Ironically, I think the 2 interceptions cost us that game. Not Sam's picks - the picks our defense provided. It gave us 2 quick scores which in turn kept us in the same game plan that already wasn't working. I know CU didn't plan it that way, but it was like getting hustled at pool.

Dropped Punt return too? Thats a mental mistake.

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2008, 05:24 PM
Dropped Punt return too? Thats a mental mistake.

I agree that was a bad player decision that was magnified by the last second defeat. But we should have won by 3-4 scores if we had leveraged our talent advantage. That should have been clean-up time at that point of the game. Take away the 14 pts. CU handed us on turnovers and we scored 10 pts against a mediocre team.

As to the subject at hand. I vote "yes" to an OU/Georgia BCS title game :)

r5TPsooner
7/14/2008, 06:10 PM
I'm a OU homer but I have serious reservations about this team. We lost our best WR, best LB, and our best RB is coming back from a nasty injury. IMHO, nothing is written in stone with regards to wins and losses.

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 06:16 PM
Your right, but other teams lost players too.

SoonerKnight
7/14/2008, 06:50 PM
Last year's lost to CU was one of the worst mainly because I had to listen to a bunch of crap from bandwagoners and eat humble pie. However, I think this years offense will be better than last years. More talent to spread the ball too. Also it seems that players that have talent but no drive can kill a game for us. If we have guys that want the win as much as they want to get paid in the NFL we will do fine.

AzianSooner
7/16/2008, 12:37 AM
Let the best offense in the world goes to the NC game.