PDA

View Full Version : A true bedlam story

shaun4411
7/13/2008, 01:58 PM
The first Bedlam game was held at Island Park in Guthrie, Oklahoma. It was a cold, and very windy day with the temperatures well below the freezing mark. At one moment in the game when the Oklahoma A&M Aggies were punting, the wind carried the ball backwards behind the kicker. If the Oklahoma A&M squad recovered the ball it would be a touchback and if the University of Oklahoma squad recovered it, it would be a touchdown. The ball kept going backwards and rolled down a hill into the half-frozen creek. Since a touchdown was at stake, members of both teams dove into the icy waters to recover the ball. A member of the OU team came out with the ball and downed it for a touchdown, eventually winning the game 75-0.

Thus was the beginning of Bedlam.

tulsaoilerfan
7/13/2008, 02:00 PM
That pretty much set the tone for the Aggie history, didn't it? Thanks for sharing, but i think most of the OU fans have heard this story before.

sooneriniowa
7/13/2008, 02:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OU-OSU_Series;)

tommieharris91
7/13/2008, 02:37 PM
:stunned: Ther r othr sportz!! :stunned:

BoomerSoonerGoOU
7/13/2008, 02:54 PM

We r a basketball school!

O... wait. Goons owns us in that, too.

shaun4411
7/13/2008, 03:22 PM
cause they cheated.

goingoneight
7/13/2008, 03:25 PM
... with their fancy teeth stuff.

badger
7/13/2008, 04:22 PM

http://www.mywrestlingroom.com/images/catalog/live/imageLibrary/009125d5986449919447d155962cda43M.jpg
Does this orange jumpsuit make my butt look big? ;)

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 04:50 PM
Quit Badgering the witless. :D ;)

badger
7/13/2008, 04:54 PM
When will Nike start selling replica Oklahoma State wrestling suits? They already sell Oklahoma fairweather-fan-cheatin'-gooner football jerseys! Nike should start selling wrestling gear, because we have won a lot of national championships!

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 05:22 PM
...and tejas swim thongs.

Jacie
7/15/2008, 06:11 AM
Any Sooner who has attended one of the games, doesn't matter if were in Norman or Stoolwater, has a story that only empahsizes the fact that there is truth behind aggie jokes.

Stoolwater 1973: Walking around the stadium before the game. This is how they scalp tickets . . . "I got five free tickets together, five free." Another "scalper" had ten free tickets together. Needless to say, my roomie and I didn't have to pay to see the Sooners that day. At one point during the game a young lady behind me asked if I had to stand and sing Boomer Sooner after "every" touchdown as I was blocking her view of OUr team's celebration. Same game, at the start of the second half, OU is kicking off to aggie, the two deep men come onto the field and stand at the goal line waiting for the ball. Then one of em notices that the players in front of them are wearing white jerseys with red numbers on the back, oops! They had the hundred yard trot to the other end of the field.

Stoolwater 1983: With Oklahoma behind in the fourth quarter and desparate to recover an onside kick for one final possession, the ball caromes off an aggie player's helmet and a Sooner recovers the ball, OU goes on to win the game.

sooner94
7/15/2008, 03:07 PM
That 1983 game was an incredible comeback by OU. That was true Sooner Magic.

Wasn't there a miscommunication on that kick-off? I think Switzer wanted the on-sides but the kicker tried to kick it deep. The ball was really moving when it hit the OSU guy in the helmet.

Jimmie Johnson was almost in tears during his press conference.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/15/2008, 03:09 PM
That 1983 game was an incredible comeback by OU. That was true Sooner Magic.

Wasn't there a miscommunication on that kick-off? I think Switzer wanted the on-sides but the kicker tried to kick it deep. The ball was really moving when it hit the OSU guy in the helmet.

Jimmie Johnson was almost in tears during his press conference.

Other way around. Barry changed it to a deep kick and it got kicked short.

badger
7/15/2008, 03:53 PM
Let us reflect back on the last few years, shall we?

Oklahoma 2004: Reveling off two straight years of victories (but forgetting about the year before) Pokes try to claim supremacy in the state of Oklahoma (I guess they forgot those dark ages where the question was if they were going to lose, but how much they would lose by). Dusty Dvoracek lines up to block the OSU game winner yelling that this single kick is for the Big 12 championship and that to miss it would to loss the conference. Wide. OU wins. Poke student section, ready to rush the field, does not rush the field.

2005 Oklahoma: OSU remembers the "no more than two in a row" rule valid since 1995 and has high hopes... that are immediately crushed by any Poke fans that made the trip to Norman.

2006 Oklahoma: A jump! ...and a miss! A sulkin' QB is benched on the final Poke drive to the endzone to make way for Zac Robinson, whose awful game ending throw begins his legacy of overratedness.

2007 Oklahoma: Bradford sets the all-time froshie TD record... and the Poke relish in not giving up 50 points to OU. Instead, they gave up 49.

CobraKai
7/16/2008, 12:09 PM
The first OU-OSU game was held at Island Park in Guthrie, Oklahoma. It was a cold, and very windy day with the temperatures well below the freezing mark. At one moment in the game when the Oklahoma A&M Aggies were punting, the wind carried the ball backwards behind the kicker. If the Oklahoma A&M squad recovered the ball it would be a touchback and if the University of Oklahoma squad recovered it, it would be a touchdown. The ball kept going backwards and rolled down a hill into the half-frozen creek. Since a touchdown was at stake, members of both teams dove into the icy waters to recover the ball. A member of the OU team came out with the ball and downed it for a touchdown, eventually winning the game 75-0.

Thus was the beginning of OU-OSU.

So some dude risked hypothermia to make sure that the final score was 75-0 and not just 70-0? Those are the kinds of players we need!

birddog
7/16/2008, 12:43 PM
So some dude risked hypothermia to make sure that the final score was 75-0 and not just 70-0? Those are the kinds of players we need!

just as the aggie players jumped in to keep the score respectable.

Seamus
7/16/2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.mywrestlingroom.com/images/catalog/live/imageLibrary/009125d5986449919447d155962cda43M.jpg
Does this orange jumpsuit make my butt look big?*

(*Translated from the original Bovine.)

OUTrumpet
7/16/2008, 01:39 PM
Let us reflect back on the last few years, shall we?

Oklahoma 2004: Reveling off two straight years of victories (but forgetting about the year before) Pokes try to claim supremacy in the state of Oklahoma (I guess they forgot those dark ages where the question was if they were going to lose, but how much they would lose by). Dusty Dvoracek lines up to block the OSU game winner yelling that this single kick is for the Big 12 championship and that to miss it would to loss the conference. Wide. OU wins. Poke student section, ready to rush the field, does not rush the field.

Dusty was off the team before the Oregon game in 04 badger, I think you're thinking of Dan Cody :p And did that ball even go all the way through the end zone?

badger
7/16/2008, 02:47 PM
Dusty was off the team before the Oregon game in 04 badger, I think you're thinking of Dan Cody :p And did that ball even go all the way through the end zone?

Was it Dan? I wasn't on the field, so I couldn't hear :D

However, I did watch the ball sail and know it wasn't anywhere close to being a field goal. You could hear the hearts of thousands of Pokes breaking at that moment. Most of the wussy chicks around me couldn't watch and had to wait for the crowd reaction to know whether our season was doomed or not :rolleyes:

In any event, the "PLAY ANOTHER SONG" guy gave up his sign and left after that play.

BoomerGirl34
7/16/2008, 09:32 PM
Does this orange jumpsuit make my butt look big? ;)

Bender: I have such a deep admiration for guys who role around on the floor with other guys.
Andrew: You'd never miss it. You don't have any goals.
Bender: Oh, but I do. I want to be just like you. I figure all I need is a lobotomy and some tights.
Brian: You wear tights?
Andrew: No, I do not wear tights. I wear the required uniform.
Brian: Tights.
Andrew: Shut up!

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5130/bc5ee2.jpg