PDA

View Full Version : So the acolyte was wearing flip-flop in church this morning.

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 12:14 PM
It annoyed me the whole time today. While I don't want to put all the blame on the acolyte because he could have been a last second replacement, but wearing the acolyte robes with flip-flops just seemed wrong to me.

yermom
7/13/2008, 12:17 PM
were they dress up flip flops?

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 12:20 PM
were they dress up flip flops?

They were beat up Adidas ones. I'm guessing he was a last minuet replacement, but it was still annoyed the hell out of me.

oklaclarinet
7/13/2008, 12:26 PM
Oh goodness, I know something like this has caused many a riff in churches. At the church in which I grew up, there was a major point of contention because one kid was wearing tennis shoes while being an acolyte, and his parents and the person in charge of the acolytes got really upset at each other over it.

I think that if the kid was scheduled to be acolyte, he or she should be wearing appropriate footwear, because I was always taught that you dress nice for church in order to present the best you have to offer to God. However, the "come as you are" casual is a big thing right now, and I think many churches are just happy to have people there.

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 12:51 PM
I was cautioned today. I'm an usher and one of the older ladies had a soap bubble set that was an extra from a birthday party. She gave it to me to give to my Son. I was standing next to the baptismal fountain after Church and our Deacon asked if I was gonna put them in it.

Why would they ever think I would do something like that?

Seriously....it wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

I think I'm gonna wear flip-flops next time I'm reading before the congregation. :D

Boarder
7/13/2008, 01:44 PM
Jesus = Robe and sandals

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 01:45 PM
Jesus = Robe and sandals

Beat me to it.

Boarder
7/13/2008, 01:46 PM
[not Jesus]I'd love to heal you, Mr Blind Guy but it's Sunday and you're just not dressed appropriately. Sorry.[/not Jesus]

People who think bad things about the way people are dressed in church should be ashamed of themselves.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 01:48 PM
You could probably find pretty good Biblical justification for stripping down as soon as you take communion.

Stitch Face
7/13/2008, 01:55 PM
annoyed the hell out of me.

So he was doing you a religious service

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 01:56 PM
Jesus = Robe and sandals

Jesus was an Asics Man. I thought everyone knew that.

47straight
7/13/2008, 01:56 PM
My father often related the following story:

A young man went to his father to ask for a car. The young man had followed the fashion of the times, wearing his hair long, growing a beard, refusing to wear shoes and instead wore birkenstock sandals everywhere. The young man often bothered his father for things and the father in turn often chided him for his appearance.

After asking for a new car, the young man said, "Dad, I don't see what the problem is. Jesus wore sandals and had long hair and a beard!"

The dad replied: "Yes, indeed. He also walked or rode a donkey everywhere he went."

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 01:59 PM
Also, fire and open toed shoes is a bad combination.

I was mostly annoyed because of the contrast between nice robe and falling apart sandals. Things like that annoy me, whether they are in church or elsewhere. I like consistency in outfits. If you are going to go half nice, go all nice.

Kels
7/13/2008, 03:50 PM
Become a Baptist. We don't have acolytes.

;)

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 03:57 PM
Become a Baptist. We don't have acolytes.

;)

Just another area where Baptist's are wrong. Everything that needed to be fixed was done the first time by Martin Luther.

Jimminy Crimson
7/13/2008, 03:59 PM
I don't have a problem with what people wear to church, it's just that if you're a reader/alter server/etc, dress the part.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/13/2008, 04:00 PM
At least he wasn't wearing Crocs. ;)

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 04:10 PM
Just another area where Baptist's are wrong. Everything that needed to be fixed was done the first time by Martin Luther.

:pop:

Oh boy...

Nothing like a good Baptists are wrong thread.

Locked in 1, 2, 3....

I think I'm gonna go listen to Van Morrison's Moondance.

badger
7/13/2008, 04:25 PM
Obligatory "Not everyone can afford new, fancy sandals," "All are welcome in church regardless of dress, you should come as you are," "Perhaps he has an explanation for wearing sandals, such as a broken toe," "Judge not, lest ye be judged," "Adidas is the brand of Christianity" etc

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 06:10 PM
Lets break this one out in here....

Gay US bishop fights exclusion from meeting

LONDON - The first openly gay U.S. Episcopal bishop was barred from a once-a-decade Anglican meeting so he wouldn't become a focus of the global event.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080713/ap_on_re_eu/britain_bishop

This is what happens once you start letting flip-flops in Church. :D

Viking Kitten
7/13/2008, 07:38 PM
I don't have much of a dog in this hunt, except to say that when we do attend my mom's (United Methodist) church from time to time, I'm a little taken aback at how casual the dress is anymore. Not that I'm judging anybody, it's just not how I expect church clothes to look like.

Okay, there was one time I judged somebody a little. It was Easter and this chick was sporting a lacy black bra underneath her backless pink sundress. A little skanky for church. More than that, it looked like crap. It looked like crap when SJP tried it on SaTC, it looked even crappier on a plumpish tattooed lady in Mustang, Oklahoma.

Whet
7/13/2008, 07:44 PM
what is an acolyte and why does it matter what the person wears?

Soonrboy
7/13/2008, 07:53 PM
We are too busy looking to see what the cross dresser is wearing. We sat behind him once and had to tell him that his skirt was half unzipped.

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 07:55 PM

The Junior High Kid who lights the candles on the alter. He/She sits up front with formal robes during the service. Hence why the battered flip-flops looked out of place.

sooneron
7/13/2008, 09:25 PM
I was an acolyte for 6 years. Never wore sandals or sneakers.

oklaclarinet
7/13/2008, 09:28 PM

Acolyte, from the Greek word akolouthos, meaning helper. The basic function of an acolyte is to assist the pastor in various ways in the service. In some churches they light the altar candles at the beginning of the service. In others, they do that plus process with a cross, remove and return the offering plates to the altar, uncover the altar railing for communion, or any other task that is needed for the order of the service. I've seen acolytes as young as third grade, and most retire by the time they reach junior high or high school. Some churches (possibly, but not necissarily, due to a lack of children in the congregation) use adults as acolytes.

Since the acolytes are considered to be leaders of the service along with the pastor, the liturgist, and the choir, it would be appropriate for them to be dressed in a similar manner. If the pastor of that particular church preaches in shorts and flip-flops, then it would be appropriate for the acolyte to dress the same. However, if all the other worship leaders have robes with dress clothes (including dress shoes) on underneath, it would look out of place if the acolyte did not follow suit.

Stitch Face
7/13/2008, 09:56 PM
I killed three acolytes in Tiamat's temple last night.

Then I was slain by an elf.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/13/2008, 10:27 PM
I don't have much of a dog in this hunt, except to say that when we do attend my mom's (United Methodist) church from time to time, I'm a little taken aback at how casual the dress is anymore. Not that I'm judging anybody, it's just not how I expect church clothes to look like.

Okay, there was one time I judged somebody a little. It was Easter and this chick was sporting a lacy black bra underneath her backless pink sundress. A little skanky for church. More than that, it looked like crap. It looked like crap when SJP tried it on SaTC, it looked even crappier on a plumpish tattooed lady in Mustang, Oklahoma.I wonder if she was the drunk chick I saw at Baker's Street on Friday with Jeremiah 29:11 tattooed across her back.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/14/2008, 01:56 AM
IMO - flip flops - "hate 'em" are appropriate for the beach, the pool, or beating around the neighborhood, not anywhere else and certainly not at church when you are performing as a celebrant. Again, IMO.

SoonerAtKU
7/14/2008, 06:53 AM
Yet another in the long list of minor annoyances that could be removed by not attending church.

;)

sooneron
7/14/2008, 08:44 AM
Acolyte, from the Greek word akolouthos, meaning helper. The basic function of an acolyte is to assist the pastor in various ways in the service. In some churches they light the altar candles at the beginning of the service. In others, they do that plus process with a cross, remove and return the offering plates to the altar, uncover the altar railing for communion, or any other task that is needed for the order of the service. I've seen acolytes as young as third grade, and most retire by the time they reach junior high or high school. Some churches (possibly, but not necissarily, due to a lack of children in the congregation) use adults as acolytes.

Since the acolytes are considered to be leaders of the service along with the pastor, the liturgist, and the choir, it would be appropriate for them to be dressed in a similar manner. If the pastor of that particular church preaches in shorts and flip-flops, then it would be appropriate for the acolyte to dress the same. However, if all the other worship leaders have robes with dress clothes (including dress shoes) on underneath, it would look out of place if the acolyte did not follow suit.

For some reason, our church didn't allow kids to be acolytes until 6th grade.
You start off as a candle bearer in the procession/recession. Then you get to be a flag bearer - US/Church , then you get to be 2nd Cross bearer and when you are the captain, you are first cross- the big poobah.

I was at church pretty much every Sunday from 6th grade on to 12th. I can recite the entire service, both rites.

Animal Mother
7/14/2008, 11:44 AM
Freakin' Commie!!

Probably didn't wear a flag pin either!!!

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 12:06 PM
BTW...my kid wore flip flops Sunday.

His Mom dressed him and took him to Church.

I rode the bike.

It was nice and relaxing. :D