PDA

View Full Version : Baby kitten / attack kitten

Chuck Bao
7/12/2008, 11:53 PM
This is my first attempt at raising a baby cat, so I need help and suggestions.

Baby Kitten Cat will turn one year next month. Khun Nope and I are planning the birthday party, but that’s not my question.

My question is about Baby Kitten Cat’s tendency to bite and scratch and be really, really naughty. Khun Nope says Baby Cat is demon possessed and has suggested that we give him up.

I’m not at that desperation point, just yet.

But, I’m getting close to that point as I was told yesterday morning that Baby Cat attacks the maid and the maid is scared to clean the apartment and that isn’t a good thing since the maid is employed by the apartment building management and I’m not supposed to have a pet.

Before you offer your suggestions, I’ve bought every cat toy in cat toy store land. Despite all these play things, Baby Cat’s favourite play thing is a roll of toilet paper. And, that’s pretty much a blessing in getting Baby Cat focused on something besides my feet and hands.

I do not reward Baby Cat for biting. I do not play with cat in inappropriate ways. In fact, I spank that cat. But, the cat purrs when I spank it and that isn’t something like I would expect.

Baby Cat’s favourite spot is under my chair while I’m working on my computer and he bites and scratches any foot or leg or hand or arm that is made available. It is pretty embarrassing the number of bandaids on my hands and finger.

I’ve tried to stop that, but the cat bows up and I can’t believe that Baby Cat actually thinks he has a chance of winning in a fight with me.

He may be demon possessed, but he is my cat and I did rescue him and his sister from a dumpster about 11 months ago. I will continue to try my best.

Anyone have any good cat rescue stories?

Tulsa_Fireman
7/12/2008, 11:55 PM
Put him in the kumite.

http://a300.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/7/l_6459d75643fa7df1c643d9bf15302ce3.jpg

badger
7/13/2008, 12:06 AM
For the scratching, your best bet is to get a scratching post and your cat will get its scratchies out on it. Also, remember to clip the cat's nails. They can get sharp. There really is no way to teach a cat not to scratch, because it's natural. Just give it a place to scratch other than your skin and it will.

For the biting, it has to cut its teeth, so it might be doing it on you, eh? Baby kitty probably thinks its just playing with you - your feet/toes are easy targets, because cats, by nature, pounce at anything that moves. If it isn't too difficult, tire the kitty out of its playfulness with a string, a laser (it's super effective!) or another fetch toy. If it's tired of playing, it won't play with the feets, and therefore, no bite.

My guess is your baby kitty just needs some playtime, hence its weird tendency to purr when you spank it (Baby kitty: "Ooo! Are we playing a game?!"), or maybe it is just a very happy cat.

NP and I are both cat people, so keep the board updated!

Tulsa_Fireman
7/13/2008, 12:10 AM
Shoot it.

That should cure the scratching.

olevetonahill
7/13/2008, 12:13 AM
Badger Hit it
Either that or you gota a S&M cat :D

Tulsa_Fireman
7/13/2008, 12:15 AM
That's hawt.

olevetonahill
7/13/2008, 12:17 AM
Aint there a Chink resturant you can drop her off to ?

Tulsa_Fireman
7/13/2008, 12:19 AM
Send it to the Olympics!

They're not gonna serve dog, so that's gotta open up the menu.

olevetonahill
7/13/2008, 12:28 AM
Send it to the Olympics!

They're not gonna serve dog, so that's gotta open up the menu.

good point

Chuck Bao
7/13/2008, 12:28 AM
This is something I shouldn't admit to, but I'm not the best in the common sense department.

Yesterday, Khun Nope and I had the following conversation.

Nope: If petrol prices rise any further, I'm buying a horse.

Me: Have you ever ridden a horse before?

Nope: No, but I bet I can.

Me: Do you know how much it costs to feed a horse?

Nope: No.

Me: Would you eat the horse?

Nope: Maybe.

olevetonahill
7/13/2008, 12:31 AM
This is something I shouldn't admit to, but I'm not the best in the common sense department.

Sounds Logical to me
Hell I know I would
My kid gave away a 1500 Lb Horse I said Why? he said he couldnt afford to feed her
I said why didnt YOU eat her ?

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 12:38 AM
The cat will stop biting on his own after he grows up a bit. Both of mine did the same thing when they were little. A year is a bit long for that to go on, though.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/13/2008, 12:43 AM
Chuck,

1. Declaw...works wonders...but then you will have an indoor cat, not a problem for you I would bet.

2. When the cat starts in on the "I'm the boos attitude" Mrs. THA picks up our 2-year old cat by the scruff of the neck and holds him up till he calms down. She will also pin him against the furniture he is resting on to show him she is boss. He generally calms down shortly after this.

3. Spay or neuter. big help on the male kitties.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/13/2008, 12:45 AM
4. Paint a white stripe down its back and throw it in the neighbor's bathtub with him in it while screaming, "SKUUUUUUUUUUUUUNK!"

Flagstaffsooner
7/13/2008, 12:47 AM
Spray bottle with water.

Curly Bill
7/13/2008, 12:58 AM
Spray bottle with water.

I've heard of this one as well...

...and it's gentler then my preferred method of givin them a boot in the ***.

LoyalFan
7/13/2008, 03:32 AM
Chuck,

1. Declaw...works wonders...but then you will have an indoor cat, not a problem for you I would bet.

NO! If YOU experienced declawing you'd vote NO too!
Have you ever watched the procedure?

Plus, if the cat ever sneaks out and is attacked, he can neither fight nor flee up a tree.

Pay no attention to the Alphabet behind the curtain!

LF

Preservation Parcels
7/13/2008, 07:11 AM
A veterinarian friend of ours said that having at least eight weeks with the mother is a big key to a well-behaved pet. Apparently, kittens and puppies learn the "Don't bite/scratch/spit" lesson during the 7th and 8th weeks.

Then, when the kitten first arrives at your home, set it up in a small area with a litter box on one end of the room and food and water on the other end. Add a cozy place to sleep. A bathroom or laundry room can work well. Play with the kitten in that room and gradually expand its domain. Just like a child, giving him lots of attention early on will make him secure and less dependent on you later.

If he plays too rough or tries to bite or scratch, pick him up by the scruff of the neck, look him in the eyes, and say "no". It sends an immediate message that he needs to stop because you say so and you're the boss, but it doesn't hurt him. He will try to avert his eyes, but he will get it eventually.

A water bottle works great to train him to stay off furniture and counters or to stop him in his tracks.

Just as with children, consistency is the key. It's seven times harder to re-learn a habit than to learn it right from the beginning. He will accelerate his bad behavior to test you before he starts to behave.

Good luck!

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 09:19 AM
If the above advice don't work...

You might try something different...

AkMkGOpAF4s

TheHumanAlphabet
7/13/2008, 06:44 PM

Plus, if the cat ever sneaks out and is attacked, he can neither fight nor flee up a tree.

LF

Understand your sentiment. I also understand the fact that you are basically removing one knuckle joint. I would rather trim nails, but then I am not home and Mrs. THA didn't want to fight the claws. She had the overriding opinion. If you know that the cat will only be an indoor cat, it may be an option, pending your opinion of the "mutulation" issue, otherwwise, I wouldn't declaw.

Chuck Bao
7/13/2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I'm not for declawing the cat for now. Maybe as Mike mentioned that Baby Cat grows out of the attack demon-possessed mode.

I also can't rule out the possibility that Baby will eventually go back to living in the provinces. We are planning to move into our own digs in a couple of months, so maybe that won't be necessary.

I do know that I have had my middle finger shredded twice over the last week. Both times, I was reaching for something on the table and the cat was hiding under the table on the chair.

I gave that cat my middle finger!!!

That ****er!

badger
7/13/2008, 09:08 PM
I agree - declawing really hurts the animal and you feel extremely sad with them for days - they don't act the same for awhile and will always have trouble climbing and walking later in life.

For the alternative kitty discipline...

1- Squirt bottle. Cats generally dislike water and will run in the opposite direction of the water. After awhile, just showing the cat the bottle during misbehaving moments gets it to shape up... or at least run away.

2- Double sided tape. Have a place you don't want your cat climbing, scratching, whatever? Cats hate sticky. Sticky feels weird against their paws. Thus, placing double sided sticky tape on kitchen counters, furniture, and maybe even your feet when it wants to pounce at it, will discourage such behavior.

3- Mother kitty carry. This is something NP does. When it acts up, simply grab it by the back of its neck, a la mother cat style. For those of you wondering if this is cruel, remember that this is how mother cats carry their kittens around. The kitty's natural reaction to such a carry is to go limp and take the carrying like the little brat it is.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 09:16 PM
Declawing can also lead to some pretty serious back problems later in life for the cat, according to the vets I've talked to.

Method 1 works, but I don't use it because I have way too much stereo equipment around, which is what they're usually climbing on.

Method 2...my cats end up eating the tape. They're odd.

Method 3 works well. Absolutely. Shows 'em who the boss is.

AlbqSooner
7/14/2008, 07:49 AM

Get a horse. Put the cat with the horse. Cat will learn VERY quickly not to scratch or bite appendages.;)

soonerbrat
7/14/2008, 08:36 AM
Spray bottle with water.

that was my suggestion..it's a great training tool for kitties. attacking the maid is a problem though if you're not there. you may have to give kitty some benadryl when you know the maid is coming.

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 09:21 AM
Cats with back problems....

The main reason for a cat having a back problem around my house would be because my dog chewed his spine out.

Curly Bill
7/14/2008, 09:26 AM
The main reason for a cat having a back problem around my house would be because my dog chewed his spine out.

Just another reason that dogs are teh awesome. ;)

badger
7/14/2008, 09:59 AM
This thread is still worthless. I cannot give any more cat advice until I see the cat. When do you plan on showing us the monster you're dealing with? How can we help you deal with said monster if you don't post said monster's monsterific image?

C&CDean
7/14/2008, 10:00 AM
Does Nope have any good stir fry recipes?

Hamhock
7/14/2008, 10:06 AM
Does Nope have any good stir fry recipes?

nope.

AggieTool
7/14/2008, 10:59 AM

LF

Hmmmmm......

$$$$ in destroyed furniture or claws...

Sorry, claws gotta go. (Otherwise claws and attached kitty go too).;)

And if kitty gets out, claws won't help against traffic or a determined K-9.:O

NormanPride
7/14/2008, 11:18 AM
I actually had a cat once that could whip a dog's *** without its claws. She'd ball up her paw like a fist and beat the hell out of the dog. It was awesome.

C&CDean
7/14/2008, 12:57 PM
I actually had a cat once that could whip a dog's *** without its claws. She'd ball up her paw like a fist and beat the hell out of the dog. It was awesome.

With all due respect, I had a Norwegian Elkhound named Schultz that would have dispatched your badass kitty in about 3 seconds. I've never seen a dog that could kill a cat so quick.

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 12:59 PM
I have seen a couple of cats that could put a dog off with a scratch across their nose but usually they got way to used to running dogs off that eventually they ended up at a Vet or dead.

Chuck Bao
7/14/2008, 05:22 PM
This thread is still worthless. I cannot give any more cat advice until I see the cat. When do you plan on showing us the monster you're dealing with? How can we help you deal with said monster if you don't post said monster's monsterific image?

I don't have any recent pics because Baby Cat has NOT BEEN CUTE. I'm am going to have to work on that trying to hold the cat by the scruff of the neck while taking photos. It takes some skill, I guess.

This is the latest (9 months old) and Baby Cat seems almost serene in this pic with Nope's mom. Nope's Mom adopted the cat and then gave him back to us five months later.

I serioulsy don't think the cat likes Thai food. He will not eat congealed chicken blood. Some country cat, he is NOT.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/khunmaeandmeow2resized.jpg