Just saying.

:D

olevetonahill
7/12/2008, 07:33 PM
I cant remember the last time I was in a wally shack

Okla-homey
7/12/2008, 07:38 PM
I cant remember the last time I was in a wally shack

Mrs Homey has declared she will never again set foot in one after what happened to her today.

She rolled her buggy all over the grocery part and had a whole bill of groceries.

Rolls up to check-out, you know one of the flippin' 68 registers.

Three checkers working. On a Saturday afternoon. You know, when working women buy groceries. Overhead announcements by management for "all cashiers report to the front," etc., etc.

In short, afer about 20 minutes in line, she said "f-it" and walked out leaving the buggy just sitting there in line.

She's done with Wally-world. srsly.

olevetonahill
7/12/2008, 07:43 PM
Dont blame her. Ive left 2 carts full of shat there And I wont go back.

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2008, 07:48 PM
Mrs Homey has declared she will never again set foot in one after what happened to her today.

Whew! Good thing Target is going in right next door to you.

And don't forget, Obama loves him some Target!

Okla-homey
7/12/2008, 07:49 PM
Dont blame her. Ive left 2 carts full of shat there And I wont go back.

You would think they would understand that they need to have enough help to make sure folks can pay for their stuff. Is that so hard?

Heck, maybe they orta offer the blue vests 20 bucks an hour. Or more. I'm no bidness expert but if folks are gettin' PO'ed because your outfit ain't customer friendly, aren't you p1ssing away a lot of potential profits?

Maybe they should just go whole hawg and import checkers from China and let them live in the back of the store, you know, with all the inventory. They could ride over on the same ships that bring the crap.;)

olevetonahill
7/12/2008, 07:51 PM
Naw they would Need to sleep in the attic . save that room in the back for more junk .

bri
7/12/2008, 08:14 PM
Good point. Everyone loves junk in the back. Or something.

BOOTY, BOOTY, BOOTY, BOOTY, BOOTY, ROCKIN' EVERYWHERE!!!

47straight
7/12/2008, 10:39 PM
I thought one of the great ironies of Wall-E is that there is going to be about several hundred million dollars worth of DVD's, toys, sheets, shirts, books, and other sheer crap that is going to be sold with Wall-E on it.

If Wall-E the movie had been really witty, he would have found some other Disney or Pixar-licensed junk to compact. That would have been funny!

GrapevineSooner
7/12/2008, 10:49 PM

She rolled her buggy all over the grocery part and had a whole bill of groceries.

Three checkers working. On a Saturday afternoon. You know, when working women buy groceries. Overhead announcements by management for "all cashiers report to the front," etc., etc.

In short, afer about 20 minutes in line, she said "f-it" and walked out leaving the buggy just sitting there in line.

What Wal-Mart is good for in price, they make up for with lousy customer service.

One time on a Sunday night, we were at a Wal-Mart that was busy as hell. No problem. We'll just go through the self check out lane as most stores keep their's opened until 10:00.

But not at bassackwards Wal-Mart. This one closed their's down at 9:00 forcing two checkers to do all the work to check out about 15 people.. Meanwhile, four people at the customer service stand were just picking their noses. So my wife says something about making themselves useful.

What do these morons do?

Tell her, 'what do you want us to do about it?'

So I fire back, 'well, your job for one.'

BTW, I hear you F'ing hill billies have gotten a lot of rain this year, particularly in Green Country. I'm at my dad's house near Okay (just outside of Tulsa) and as I'm typing this, sheets of rain are hitting the window to the right of me.

badger
7/13/2008, 12:01 AM
For those of us in retail, we know why place like the Walmarts don't have more cashiers.

1- Cashiers are usually summertime temporary workers that leave after a few months.

2- Cashiers are usually the newest employees.

3- If you stay at Walmart longer, you don't want to be a cashier - you want to be a floor person, or a loader, or a stocker, or even a manager of sorts.

4- If you work at retail longer, your goal is to do the least work possible and that involves helping the least customers possible.

5- If you are not a cashier, you do not want to help cashiers and you do not want to become a cashier. You want to hide when lines form, or you're never going to leave that stupid cash register for the next eight hours.

6- Cashiers hear all the customer complaints, have to do the most work and are the least rewarded and least appreciated workers in the store. Cashiers quit quickly.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why there is 15 people in your line and no new check-out lines opening. If you worked in retail, you would understand.

Next time you get indignant at a checkout line on how long you had to wait or anything else wrong in the store, remember your tired cashier had the least to do with your problems. Smile at them, be friendly and make their tough job easier. I still remember my dreaded days as cashier - fortunately, it got me to my OU degree. No more cashiering ever again.

Mjcpr
7/13/2008, 12:07 AM
BTW, I hear you F'ing hill billies have gotten a lot of rain this year, particularly in Green Country. I'm at my dad's house near Okay (just outside of Tulsa) and as I'm typing this, sheets of rain are hitting the window to the right of me.

Okay is just outside of Tulsa?

:confused:

Tulsa_Fireman
7/13/2008, 12:12 AM
They could ride over on the same ships that bring the crap.

A-Focking-men.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/13/2008, 12:41 AM
For those of us in retail, we know why place like the Walmarts don't have more cashiers.

1- Cashiers are usually summertime temporary workers that leave after a few months.

3- If you stay at Walmart longer, you don't want to be a cashier - you want to be a floor person, or a loader, or a stocker, or even a manager of sorts.

4- If you work at retail longer, your goal is to do the least work possible and that involves helping the least customers possible.

5- If you are not a cashier, you do not want to help cashiers and you do not want to become a cashier. You want to hide when lines form, or you're never going to leave that stupid cash register for the next eight hours.

6- Cashiers hear all the customer complaints, have to do the most work and are the least rewarded and least appreciated workers in the store. Cashiers quit quickly.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why there is 15 people in your line and no new check-out lines opening. If you worked in retail, you would understand.

Next time you get indignant at a checkout line on how long you had to wait or anything else wrong in the store, remember your tired cashier had the least to do with your problems. Smile at them, be friendly and make their tough job easier. I still remember my dreaded days as cashier - fortunately, it got me to my OU degree. No more cashiering ever again.Hear that, Wally world haters? Cashier has always seemed like a fairly crummy job to me, too, but it is surprising to me how little attention is paid by management to having fast checkouts at most retail stores, not just Walmart.

olevetonahill
7/13/2008, 12:45 AM
If walton family would HIRE MO cashers then No one would have a reason to Bitch at the cashers
just sayin .

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 12:46 AM

I did that at Super Target the other day. Shopping with three kids and having to wait for a cashier is teh succ.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 12:48 AM

Next time you get indignant at a checkout line on how long you had to wait or anything else wrong in the store, remember your tired cashier had the least to do with your problems. Smile at them, be friendly and make their tough job easier. I still remember my dreaded days as cashier - fortunately, it got me to my OU degree. No more cashiering ever again.

Also remember that:

7-The manager likely DID schedule enough people, but may have had people quit or call in sick on him.

I had four people out at my branch on the 3rd this month, which is traditionally a really busy day ('cause there's no ATMs at the lake, apparently.) Two of them were people I granted vacation to for a family reunion in Oklahoma City and a wedding in Souix Falls, and the other two were attending a funeral of one of their best friends. Gee, sir, I'm really sorry that you had to wait in line for 15 minutes. I'll make sure to tell my staff to not have their friends die when it's inconvenient for you. Guess what? You complaining about it just slows the line down for everyone else.

That being said, I do try to make sure I have as many tellers around for peak hours as I can. Sometimes **** just happens though.

yermom
7/13/2008, 01:52 AM
yeah, **** just happens 50% of the time you are in Wal-Mart

yeah, we get it, it's no money out of your pocket if i have to wait 30 minutes to check out, i understand

part of this is why i like to go there late at night, and part of that is why i go there at all since ****ing Target closes at 10PM

Okla-homey
7/13/2008, 06:29 AM
Also remember that:

7-The manager likely DID schedule enough people, but may have had people quit or call in sick on him.

I had four people out at my branch on the 3rd this month, which is traditionally a really busy day ('cause there's no ATMs at the lake, apparently.) Two of them were people I granted vacation to for a family reunion in Oklahoma City and a wedding in Souix Falls, and the other two were attending a funeral of one of their best friends. Gee, sir, I'm really sorry that you had to wait in line for 15 minutes. I'll make sure to tell my staff to not have their friends die when it's inconvenient for you. Guess what? You complaining about it just slows the line down for everyone else.

That being said, I do try to make sure I have as many tellers around for peak hours as I can. Sometimes **** just happens though.

I asked a red vest once why its so hard to man the check-out stations. This was at the neighborhood Wally in Bixby. She said, "cuz nobody wants to work. We advertise for the job, but the only applicants we get are high school kids or people who have problems like criminal records and stuff."

I then asked, "if the fast-food industry stays afloat on high school kids, why can't Wally?" She replied, "I guess you need to ask Bentonville that question."

I still don't get it. Seems to me, even in an economy with very high employment like here, there must be people willing to stand at a check-out and "boop-boop" your stuff across the scanner for $10-15 bucks an hour.

Also, what would be wrong with just having a policy that every new employee starts out on a register and remains authorized, nay, required to step in when it gets crowded even if they have been promoted out of it?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/13/2008, 09:35 AM
Also, what would be wrong with just having a policy that every new employee starts out on a register and remains authorized, nay, required to step in when it gets crowded even if they have been promoted out of it?This seems the logical way to run a business to me, too. A no-brainer policy.

badger
7/13/2008, 10:18 AM
Wally doesn't pay $10-$15, except in high market areas (Nevada, California, etc). Most areas Wally pays less than other minimum wagin' jobs.

I've worked shifts with the calling in curse, where everyone takes the day off except me and a few others, thus the line's 10 deep and there are still others thumbing their noses out of management's view.

Retail is, very much, gone too far for Bentonville et al to keep an eye on everything. Bentonville only sees their margins thinning, so they say "lay off some people" or "let's have a hiring freeze" and they don't realize that the most flux at personnel is at the up front part. The first workers to go are the hard working, stand-all-day-and-listen-to-your-complaining cashiers.

One lady once told me while I stood in line for self checkout that I was taking away someone's job by using it. No, I'm not. The person's already left and it was me. If I was working cashier and people went to me instead of the five open self checkers, I would probably have another migraine.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 01:31 PM
I asked a red vest once why its so hard to man the check-out stations. This was at the neighborhood Wally in Bixby. She said, "cuz nobody wants to work. We advertise for the job, but the only applicants we get are high school kids or people who have problems like criminal records and stuff."

Can't speak to that. I can say that sometimes it can be hard to find people who are qualified, but I'm looking for a few more qualifications than Wal-Mart is I think.

I then asked, "if the fast-food industry stays afloat on high school kids, why can't Wally?" She replied, "I guess you need to ask Bentonville that question."

I still don't get it. Seems to me, even in an economy with very high employment like here, there must be people willing to stand at a check-out and "boop-boop" your stuff across the scanner for $10-15 bucks an hour.

Also, what would be wrong with just having a policy that every new employee starts out on a register and remains authorized, nay, required to step in when it gets crowded even if they have been promoted out of it?

Nothing wrong with the first part-in fact, if you don't have banking experience, you start as a teller almost 100% of the time with us.

The problem with having everyone jump on a register even if they've been promoted out of it is you strip the store of anyone who can help anyone find anything-and then Mrs. Homey gets pissy and leaves because she can't find potato chips. There's more to good customer service than just getting people through a line quickly (though it is an important part.) That being said-dude, I can't tell you how often I jump in and run a teller drawer if I'm not busy and there's a line.

All I'm saying is that sometimes there's more going on than meets the eye. I'm not defending Wal-Mart by any means-I don't go in there if I can ever help it. I'm just saying, as a person who manages a customer-facing department, that sometimes **** outside of your control happens and you just have to make the best of it.

Boarder
7/13/2008, 01:42 PM

If that were true they'd have to close in the winter.

So, get to work. You applied for and got the job, work!

And that's Wal Mart's fault because you won't work?

Again, Wal Mart's fault your lazy butt won't get to work?

Same thing as 4. You need to be fired. Wal Mart is so desperate they'll hire your lazy hiding butt and you don't appreciate it.

To do what, go to another cashier job? If people would again, stop being lazy and work they'd advance past the cashier job.

I totally understand that you can't find help because the American public is by and large a bunch of lazy turds who want to do as little as possible for the most money.

replied

I don't go to Wal Mart anymore, btw. It has nothing to do with the cashiers.

royalfan5
7/13/2008, 01:54 PM
I haven't been to Wal-Mart in over a year. I don't miss it in the least. The shopping experience at Target and Shopko is so far ahead of Wal-mart that it is worth the extra couple of bucks(if that). Nothing to do with the cashiers either.

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 02:05 PM
I think folks with Criminal Records should be hired by Walmart.

After working there problem free for 5 years...they should have their record expunged, be allowed to buy a gun in the sporting goods dept and then go vote.

tommieharris91
7/13/2008, 02:06 PM

Because if you are busy manning a register, you can't other things like supervise other workers, supervise other workers in other departments, make sure the shelves are stocked, etc. I really think a lot of places should just go to automated checkouts. Especially considering that, if what badger says is true, they are underpaid, and Wal-mart should bump up their pay if they are having trouble hiring workers.

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 02:10 PM
I just can't imagine how grueling it must be having to scan things for 8-10 hours a day.

Viking Kitten
7/13/2008, 02:21 PM
Man, I hate that place with an unholy passion. The only time I ever step foot in there is when it's time for school supply shopping, because for some weird reason that's the only place that stocks enough of what's on the lists. I always wind up there anyway because Target will be out of number 2 pencils or something.

What I don't understand is people who gripe about Wal-Mart and then you find out they still go there on a regular basis. Why? Why do they do this? There are plenty of grocery stores with comparable prices. Any big box store will get you the same prices on all the other stuff. Like RF5 says, go to Target if you want a nice shopping experience just looking at crap to buy for your house or whatever.

I don't know one single person who says they actually like Wal-Mart and yet the place stays open. I don't get it.

As far as working there goes, I was an employee for about six weeks in 1991. I soon realized it blows to work there so I found another job. Apparently it's gotten even worse since then. It's a lot of thankless work for very low pay. So unless you live in some podunk town where Wally World is the only employer, why in the hell would anyone choose to work there?

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 02:23 PM
I like to go there buy three or four full carts of stuff and then immediately take it all back for a refund.

tommieharris91
7/13/2008, 02:24 PM
Because you're either a convicted felon or you can't speak English.

yermom
7/13/2008, 02:26 PM
I just can't imagine how grueling it must be having to scan things for 8-10 hours a day.

i don't think anyone said it was hard, they said it sucked :D

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 02:27 PM
The employee discount?

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 02:27 PM
i don't think anyone said it was hard, they said it sucked :D

I didn't say it was hard...I said it must be grueling. :D

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 02:46 PM
I didn't say it was hard...I said it must be grueling. :D

I imagine the scanning isn't that tough.

The dealing with Wal-Mart customers 8 hours per day must be rough, though.

GrapevineSooner
7/13/2008, 04:38 PM
Okay is just outside of Tulsa?

:confused:

outside meaning 45 minutes.

;)

badger
7/13/2008, 04:38 PM
I imagine the scanning isn't that tough.

The dealing with Wal-Mart customers 8 hours per day must be rough, though.

Standing on concrete/floor that long with only a few breaks is a strain also. I had to do the gel insole thing with the shoes after a few days of foot hell.

Oh, and Boarder, I was never the lazy one. I don't think my co-workers were lazy either, but they had no motivation to work harder. Think Office Space movie. About the only motivation they had was sympathy for the poor cashier doing all the work - and that only goes so far.

Most of these people in these jobs for very long have had tough lives, from what I could tell during my times at retail. And I know it's not anyone's fault here, so don't go that route. There was a retiree (needed extra money) who couldn't stand for very long that worked in hardware - he was usually back in the break room sitting down for most of his shift because of his standing difficulties. There were many single moms up front at customer service - women never get the good jobs in retail, it seems, but just cashiering. There was the divorced father of two who was paying most of his check to child support (he was the one that told me on a payday that I should never get married and never have kids - well, I already failed in one aspect). There were people there who had financial futures ruined, career downturns and family emergencies. Most people were struggling to make ends meet in some way or another. Nobody, aside from store managers and aspiring store managers, were there for the career or for the love of the job. They were just there to get paid.

I think most people complain about retail service, about restaurant service, etc. have no idea what its like to be stuck in a dead-end minimum wagin' job. In these sour economic times, I'm sure that the crunch for these workers is just getting worse. However, I'm sure the Walton family heirs are still as billionaireous as ever and are not concerned about how long you wait in long. If you choose to shop elsewhere (and we know you won't no matter how much you complain), they will make up the differences in layoffs and hiring freezes... oh yeah, and not paying more than $7/hour. Circle of life

Boarder
7/13/2008, 05:59 PM
Friend of mine started at Wal Mart as a stockboy. He worked his butt off, did cashier work, worked late, unloaded trucks, did whatever they asked. He's now a Supercenter manager and makes 6 figures. And he's not a genius or even a college graduate. He worked his butt off and didn't whine that, "boo hoo, I have to scan some stuff and these customers are mean."

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 06:33 PM
That's one guy though Boarder.

I've met a few guys that did that exact same thing your buddy did.

I don't know of a one of them I'd let run a business of mine.

I don't know one of them I'd go to work for either.

Glad to hear there might be at least one good guy running a Wally World.

That might be a start.

Boarder
7/13/2008, 06:36 PM
I still don't shop there, I just am saying it's possible to work hard and make a really nice living at the wally.

47straight
7/13/2008, 09:59 PM
Friend of mine started at Wal Mart as a stockboy. He worked his butt off, did cashier work, worked late, unloaded trucks, did whatever they asked. He's now a Supercenter manager and makes 6 figures. And he's not a genius or even a college graduate. He worked his butt off and didn't whine that, "boo hoo, I have to scan some stuff and these customers are mean."

I know one too, except my friend got to move up even from supercenters and now is a regional boss for the pharmacies. He thinks he has it made, just has to keep recruiting pharmacists to work for him. He says it is worlds easier when your employees have advanced degrees and make 100k themselves, compared to when he had to motivate $10 an hour dudes.

Well, duh, I said! It's the QuickTrip Principle!

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 07:55 AM
We saw the Movie last night...

The Kids said it was sad.

It's not as sad as having to work at a Walle World...

Wall-e has it better IMO. :D

badger
7/21/2008, 09:43 AM
Well, duh, I said! It's the QuickTrip Principle!

I love QT because of the employees. Can you enlighten me on the QT principle?

It seems like a lot of movies have been depressing lately. I kind of wanted to see Wall-E, but I don't need more doomsday depression after seeing Dark Knight. I mean, at least warn us ahead of time that you're going to feel sad afterwards. Don't try to fool us moviegoers into thinking that its a kid flick through your tie-in promotions in Fruity Pebbles and McDonalds! :mad:

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 09:50 AM
The Future Droid "Eva" does pullout Wall-E's motherboard and reprogram his Harddrive. It's somewhat arousing because they hold hands afterwards.

47straight
7/21/2008, 01:16 PM
I love QT because of the employees. Can you enlighten me on the QT principle?

QT pays its employees very high relative wages and health benefits for being "just" a convenience store clerk. Most of their managers have college degrees, and they pay them accordingly, but managers have to spend some fairly lengthy amount of time working the register and stocking the shelves as trainees.

The result is that your average QT employee is very motivated to do all the little things that make you and me like going there. Like being really fast, helpful, not stealing crap from the store and making sure the store is clean and well-stocked.

Another thing to notice when you go into QT - you are always looked in the eye and greeted. Studies have shown that this alone is immensely effective at deterring shoplifting. If you know someone noticed you and knows you are there, you are much less likely to steal something than if the zombie behind the counter didn't even get up from his stool watching springer and having a smoke. Of course it makes the non-criminal element feel welcome, which is also a plus.

So, I call it the "QT principle." Overpay your employees and then expect a lot higher performance out of them. Everyone wins.

StoopTroup
7/21/2008, 01:37 PM
So, I call it the "QT principle." Overpay your employees and then expect a lot higher performance out of them. Everyone wins.

It's also been an anti-union technique however Wally World doesn't think it should apply to them as they have created a world of fantasy and fun to work in.

tommieharris91
7/21/2008, 01:41 PM
I believe the "overpay your workers" part is pretty anti-union. If you pay people above the going rate for their time, they won't strike. This isn't too tough to figure out.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2008, 01:50 PM
Another thing to notice when you go into QT - you are always looked in the eye and greeted. Studies have shown that this alone is immensely effective at deterring shoplifting. If you know someone noticed you and knows you are there, you are much less likely to steal something than if the zombie behind the counter didn't even get up from his stool watching springer and having a smoke. Of course it makes the non-criminal element feel welcome, which is also a plus.

I will vouch for this being an excellent crime deterrent. It's something we teach our employees and constantly harp on-if someone's coming in to rob the place, the fact that an employee has looked them in the eye and greeted them-thus, likely to be able to identify them or describe them-rattles the hell out of 'em and will cause many robbers to turn around and leave.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2008, 01:51 PM
I believe the "overpay your workers" part is pretty anti-union. If you pay people above the going rate for their time, they won't strike. This isn't too tough to figure out.

Well, yeah. If the rank and file are happy with their work conditions, then unions don't have a foothold-or a reason to exist.