7/12/2008, 06:37 PM
Sucks.

For reals.

OUHOMER
7/12/2008, 06:38 PM
Sounds real bad , what ever it is?

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 06:45 PM
Have a friend that had/has it. He does not talk at all fondly about it.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 06:48 PM
Sounds real bad , what ever it is?

Well, the doc didn't do a great job of explaining it, but based on what I can tell from Google, it's an inflammation of the upper intestine caused by a blockage.

All I know is that about every 10 minutes I get a shooting pain right where you'd normally feel it if you hadn't pooped for about a month.

But I don't have to poop.

Edit: and I have to be at work, because nobody else is availble to do some stuff that has to be done.

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 06:49 PM
It sounds wonderful. :eek:

The most common symptom of diverticulitis is abdominal pain. The most common sign is tenderness around the left side of the lower abdomen. If infection is the cause, then nausea, vomiting, feeling hot while having no fever, cramping, and constipation may occur as well. The severity of symptoms depends on the extent of the infection and complications. Diverticulitis worsens throughout the day, as it starts as small pains and slowly turns into vomiting and sharp pains.

olevetonahill
7/12/2008, 06:55 PM
Sounds like it would be the ****s to have.

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 07:03 PM
Just wait to the chronic fatigue comes on from it.

yermom
7/12/2008, 07:35 PM
i've always heard of this, but never looked it up.

doesn't sound fun

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 07:37 PM
Guy I knew that had it was supposed to lay down for at least an hour after lunch so as not to possibly aggravate it...or maybe he was just trying to pull a fast one.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/12/2008, 07:39 PM
There are antibiotics for it, I know. You had better heed your doc, or it will turn you into a chronic conservative.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 07:40 PM
Heh. We don't want that.

Yeah, I've got a couple of bottles of antibiotics I'm working through. It's actually gotten better over the last 24 hours since I've been taking them, but it's still giving me problems.

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 08:20 PM
Heh. We don't want that.

Yeah, I've got a couple of bottles of antibiotics I'm working through. It's actually gotten better over the last 24 hours since I've been taking them, but it's still giving me problems.

When you go poop and wipe nothing but blood get to the ER. Diverticulitus just doesn't go away either. It stays with you for life.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 08:22 PM
Fun. I'll keep that in mind.

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 08:24 PM
BTW, what did they give you besides Flagyl? Cipro?

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 08:25 PM
You got it. Sounds like you have some experience with this.

This will be my second go-'round with chronic intestinal problems. Yay!

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 08:29 PM
You got it. Sounds like you have some experience with this.

This will be my second go-'round with chronic intestinal problems. Yay!

Like I said before... get used to living with it or have the surgery. I lived on antibiotics for a year treating the stuff.

Good luck.

Sooner24
7/12/2008, 08:30 PM
Heh. We don't want that.

Fiber, Fiber, Fiber!!!

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 08:31 PM
Fiber, Fiber, Fiber!!!

Change lifestyle and diet as well.

Hot Rod
7/12/2008, 08:33 PM
Hate to have the word given to me in a spelling bee as much in real life.

Sooner24
7/12/2008, 08:34 PM
Maybe Mike could enter the Iditarod.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 08:48 PM
Like I said before... get used to living with it or have the surgery. I lived on antibiotics for a year treating the stuff.

Good luck.

You sure it's always chronic? What I've looked at online says that it can be acute as well.

I dunno-my doc didn't really say a whole lot about it, just that he thought that's what it might be after taking some blood and urine, and if it was it was just in the early stages.

All I know is that my stomach has hurt off and on for a week.

Sooner24
7/12/2008, 08:55 PM
You sure it's always chronic? What I've looked at online says that it can be acute as well.

I dunno-my doc didn't really say a whole lot about it, just that he thought that's what it might be after taking some blood and urine, and if it was it was just in the early stages.

You didn't get scoped?

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 08:58 PM
Nope. Well, not this time at least. I got 'scoped when I turned 30 and everything was as clean as a whistle.

Boarder
7/12/2008, 09:27 PM
Fiber adds bulk to the feces, making bowel movements easier. This is especially true for insoluble fibers. When enough fiber is consumed, the stool is large and soft because many types of plant fibers attract water. The larger size stimulates the intestinal muscles, which aids elimination. Consequently, less pressure is necessary to expel feces.
When too little fiber is eaten, the opposite can occur: the stool may be small and hard. Constipation may result, which can force one to exert excessive pressure in the large intestine during defecation. The high pressure can force parts of the large intestine wall to pop out from the surrounding bands of muscle, forming small pouches called diverticula. Multiple diverticula may be present and are asymptomatic in 80% of affected people; that is, they're not noticeable. If the diverticula become inflamed it becomes diverticulitis. Intake of fiber should then be reduced to limit further bacterial activity. Once the inflammation subsides, a high-fiber diet, along with regular physical activity, is advised to ease bowel movements and reduce the risk of a future attack.

Eat insoluble fiber once it chills out. Whole grains, brown rice, skins on fruit, etc. And exercise.

I'm taking Intro to Nutrition and remembered that name, diverticulits.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 09:29 PM
I ate me a bunch of cabbage tonight. I should be fibered up.

Sooner24
7/12/2008, 09:30 PM
Fiber adds bulk to the feces, making bowel movements easier. This is especially true for insoluble fibers. When enough fiber is consumed, the stool is large and soft because many types of plant fibers attract water. The larger size stimulates the intestinal muscles, which aids elimination. Consequently, less pressure is necessary to expel feces.
When too little fiber is eaten, the opposite can occur: the stool may be small and hard. Constipation may result, which can force one to exert excessive pressure in the large intestine during defecation. The high pressure can force parts of the large intestine wall to pop out from the surrounding bands of muscle, forming small pouches called diverticula. Multiple diverticula may be present and are asymptomatic in 80% of affected people; that is, they're not noticeable. If the diverticula become inflamed it becomes diverticulitis. Intake of fiber should then be reduced to limit further bacterial activity. Once the inflammation subsides, a high-fiber diet, along with regular physical activity, is advised to ease bowel movements and reduce the risk of a future attack.

Eat insoluble fiber once it chills out. Whole grains, brown rice, skins on fruit, etc. And exercise.

I'm taking Intro to Nutrition and remembered that name, diverticulits.

You've had way too much time on your hands since the big fire. :eek:

Flagstaffsooner
7/12/2008, 10:25 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Mike. Its Gods way of telling you to stop being such a galwdamned liberal.;)

en4cer
7/12/2008, 10:45 PM
I suggest the 10 day Master Cleanse. I did it. If you can get past the saltwater flush you got it whipped.

bluedogok
7/12/2008, 10:48 PM
That sucks Mike, my dad went through that four years ago, a partner in my former architecture firm went through it as well in his 40's. My dad had the surgery for the large intestine resection, then had the pain a day after getting home and they found another problem in the small intestine which necessitated another surgery and longer hospital stay. That surgery required the used of a colostomy bag for six months. He has recovered well and maintained his diet and has not had the problem since.

Good luck with the treatment.

7/12/2008, 11:50 PM
That sucks Mike, my dad went through that four years ago, a partner in my former architecture firm went through it as well in his 40's. My dad had the surgery for the large intestine resection, then had the pain a day after getting home and they found another problem in the small intestine which necessitated another surgery and longer hospital stay. That surgery required the used of a colostomy bag for six months. He has recovered well and maintained his diet and has not had the problem since.

AAAAARRRGH!!! Quick, throw me some potato skins and a bag of celery!

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the wellwishes folks.

OKC-SLC
7/13/2008, 07:43 AM

It's not typically chronic; rather, one usually gets one or more acute episode such as what you sound like you're experiencing. Usually left lower quadrant pain, fever, etc. Once someone's had a couple acute episodes, discussion of removing that segment of colon should be undertaken because of the risk of perforation, fistulization (abnormal connections between the colon and surrounding organs including skin), abscess, etc. which increases as a person's number of acute episodes increases.

There is some chronic pain which can occur with diverticula which can mimic some of the symptoms of acute inflammation (diverticulitis), but this is usually lacking the fever, severity, nausea, etc.

As far as a colonoscopy--it's contraindicated when you're actively inflamed--the pressure of the procedure can tear/perforate your colon.

Get better, you liberal bastage.

;)

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the wellwishes folks.

I don't think I wished you well.

But since I'm trying my new Berry Tramel Message Board techniques out...

Get well soon Mike. :D

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks!

The anti-biotics seem to be working. I actually got a good night's sleep last night (just woke up-I never sleep in this late) for the first time in a week without being woken up by pain. I had a pretty good headache going on I think from dehydration, but watering up solved that.

No stomach pain so far this morning.

Medical science for the win!

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 02:48 PM
It's not typically chronic; rather, one usually gets one or more acute episode such as what you sound like you're experiencing. Usually left lower quadrant pain, fever, etc. Once someone's had a couple acute episodes, discussion of removing that segment of colon should be undertaken because of the risk of perforation, fistulization (abnormal connections between the colon and surrounding organs including skin), abscess, etc. which increases as a person's number of acute episodes increases.

There is some chronic pain which can occur with diverticula which can mimic some of the symptoms of acute inflammation (diverticulitis), but this is usually lacking the fever, severity, nausea, etc.

As far as a colonoscopy--it's contraindicated when you're actively inflamed--the pressure of the procedure can tear/perforate your colon.

Get better, you liberal bastage.

;)

OK, so from here on out (once everything's healed up) it's Metamucil every night before bed.

7/13/2008, 03:28 PM
OK, so from here on out (once everything's healed up) it's Metamucil every night before bed.and a Sal Hepatica sandwich for lunch, EVERY day.:eek:

OKC-SLC
7/13/2008, 08:04 PM
OK, so from here on out (once everything's healed up) it's Metamucil every night before bed.

Truth be told, if westerners actually did that, I'd be out of business. Americans eat FAR too little fiber.

Diverticula are very common here and very rare in the far east. But when you put an Asian in the west (not unlike AK, I'd suspect), they get diverticula just like us 'Mericans.

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 08:06 PM
I had never heard of Diverticulitus until I was diagnosed with it and both the wife and I are in the medical profession.

One you have it, especially in a severe case, you'll never forget the name.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 09:07 PM
Truth be told, if westerners actually did that, I'd be out of business. Americans eat FAR too little fiber.

Diverticula are very common here and very rare in the far east. But when you put an Asian in the west (not unlike AK, I'd suspect), they get diverticula just like us 'Mericans.

One thing I found out from my little brother (hey, time to brag again-he's in his third year of residency in internal medicine at Brigham & Women's in Boston-one of Harvard's teaching hospitals) today is that diverticulitis presents left lower quad pain in caucasians and africans, but right lower quad pain in asians-as their sigmoid section is on the opposite side. Weird.

7/13/2008, 10:44 PM
One thing I found out from my little brother (hey, time to brag again-he's in his third year of residency in internal medicine at Brigham & Women's in Boston-one of Harvard's teaching hospitals) today is that diverticulitis presents left lower quad pain in caucasians and africans, but right lower quad pain in asians-as their sigmoid section is on the opposite side. Weird.Didja ask him if it's on a continuum from right to left in mixed-race folks with Asian blood? BTW, how/why did Brigham arrange that setup?

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 10:54 PM
He did not. I assume it's an either-or gene combination where the gene for having the sigmoid section on the right is more prevalent in the asian population. I know there's an either-or gene combination that will put your heart on the right side.

Don't know how and why B&W went with that setup, but I assume there's a tradeoff for being a teaching hospital-probably some significant tax savings or federal grants or something.

7/13/2008, 11:09 PM
Don't know how and why B&W went with that setup, but I assume there's a tradeoff for being a teaching hospital-probably some significant tax savings or federal grants or something.If it's just one man and a bunch of women? Kool! Watch for RLIMC and the Swedish Bikini Team in a city near you, soon.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 11:12 PM
If it's just one man and a bunch of women? Kool! Watch for RLIMC and the Swedish Bikini Team in a city near you, soon.

Heh. No, the name comes from a consolidation of three hospitals-Brigham, Boston Free Women's Clinic, and another that got hosed in the naming deal.

RADsooner
7/14/2008, 12:05 AM
I do CT, and I see alot of people with it, and alot in the ER too