PDA

View Full Version : Just back from a ride

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 06:12 PM
Wife and I went out to see my Bro and his Wife.

The storm was moving in as we went out there so we didn't stay long.

We're Home now and this sounded like a good tune to play...:D

:gary:

WJhW26He-24&feature=related

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 06:17 PM
I'm starting to get the hankering to buy me another Harley. I had a 2003 Springer, but alas sold it when the new Mustangs came out to get one of those (the GT version, it was sweet). Anway, I now have neither of them, but a new Harley might be nice. Something along the lines of a Heritage Softail Classic.

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 06:23 PM
To ride to work...

I'd by me a rocker next time or another VROD....

After riding a few miles now with the Wifey...

I'm thinking a FLT Road King might be better for a longer haul.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 06:26 PM
I'm thinking along the lines of the Heritage Softail because of the practicality -- windscreen and bags already on it. The Springer was sweet, but not as practical...if a Harley can be such a thing.

On the Springer it just seemed like the wind was always trying to rip my head off, especially if I had a helmet on, and with no bags to carry anything...

OUHOMER
7/12/2008, 06:29 PM
To ride to work...

I'd by me a rocker next time or another VROD....

After riding a few miles now with the Wifey...

I'm thinking a FLT Road King might be better for a longer haul.

My wife and i went for a ride today. left Mustang north to Yukon, old 66 thru El reno. head to Roman nose state park. Stayed for a about 2 hours than hit the road. got a few rains drops but not bad.
I think road king or Goldwing

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 06:31 PM
The ride I had today on the VROD was pretty intense.

We came back on Hwy 169 into Tulsa. :eek:

We had to go Home and get the car so she could get the kiddies.

OUHOMER
7/12/2008, 06:35 PM
I ride a cheap Suzuki C50T. But not a bad bike for riding around town and short trips.

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 06:39 PM
I ride a cheap Suzuki C50T. But not a bad bike for riding around town and short trips.

I'm not one of those folks who say you have to ride a Harley.

This is my first one.

I can see why many folks get way into the "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" thing though.

I am very happy with the decision to finally go Harley.

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 06:40 PM
Check out this animal....lol

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/rahul_bruno66/Bike_2.jpg

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 06:44 PM
Yowza, that thing's mean lookin.

bluedogok
7/12/2008, 11:11 PM
If we had some decent weather I might ride more but summer becomes my winter, especially this summer. We have already had more than out annual average of 100 degree days this year. Here in the middle of July we have already had 32 days of 100+ temps with more forecast all next week. I haven't even fired up my bike in a month. My I'M READY TO MOVE TO COLORADO season started much earlier this year.

I still have no desire for a Harley or cruiser of any kind, forward controls just seem foreign to me and my back doesn't like the seating position. If I were to think about one, it would be the Triumph Rocket III, I test rode one and it is incredible, but it is still a cruiser seating position. The only H-D that I would like is the XR750 or the new clone of it they have in Europe, that is a cool looking bike.

We did get out today in my wife's Escape and look at some lots on the north side of Lake Travis. Instead of thinking about a new bike I am thinking about a fun car or sailboat.....but that changes weekly :D

OUHOMER
7/13/2008, 06:52 PM
After yesterdays ride, I think I have the wife ready to move up. I am thinking Goldwing.

with all the comfort features.

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 06:55 PM
Sweet.

OUHOMER
7/13/2008, 07:00 PM
I plan on taking her on more rides this summer. Even longer rides, this will help make the point, she needs a better seat, a nice stereo, etc..

You know I am only doing this for her.

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 07:02 PM
Oh yeah...

We do it all for teh womenz....:D

bluedogok
7/13/2008, 07:18 PM
Well, a friend of mine here bought a Goldwing for his wife and was told that is the last bike that he can sell. When he bought the Goldwing he also had a 2008 BMW R1200GS and a 2007 H-D Sportster with the black motor (Nightster?). He has since bought a Yamaha FJR1300 I think replacing the GS (his third GS) with it.

StoopTroup
7/13/2008, 07:20 PM
Chics dig bikers :D

OUHOMER
7/13/2008, 07:26 PM
Well, a friend of mine here bought a Goldwing for his wife and was told that is the last bike that he can sell. When he bought the Goldwing he also had a 2008 BMW R1200GS and a 2007 H-D Sportster with the black motor (Nightster?). He has since bought a Yamaha FJR1300 I think replacing the GS (his third GS) with it.

Somebody has some extra cash:eek:

OUHOMER
7/13/2008, 07:30 PM
My wifes uncle just bought a 2001 HD Heritage softtail. sweet bike, but he is only5'6" with boots. It has some tall handle bars on it. He has had it 3 weeks and has dropped it twice. One when he was pulling into his drive way. He waved at the neighbors and the thing fell over. No damage except to his pride. Now he is too scared to driver the damn bike.

bluedogok
7/13/2008, 08:02 PM
Too big of a bike for him, Softails are huge and for someone that small it is hard to get the right amount of leverage with those stupid ape hangers. He needs to change the handlebars.

Has he ridden much? If not, he needs a smaller bike or if he wants to stay with H-D a Sportster which is more suited for someone shorter and with bars that can be easier to handle.

My friend has been through about 25 motorcycles in the 5 years that I have known him, mostly he traded used bikes and bought them cash and has traded them pretty well. A few he had some issues with like some BMW final drive and the Yamaha FZ1 ticking issues. He just has ADD when it comes to motorcycles.

Kels
7/13/2008, 08:03 PM
My Magna has been great in Denver this summer. Goin' for a ride to Deckers tomorrow.

It's hard to beat the reliability of a Honda, IMO.

bluedogok
7/13/2008, 08:47 PM
We hauled the bike up to Denver two summers ago, my friend and his wife who live there both ride so we did Deckers, Mount Evans and up to Idaho Springs. Even though it was 100 while we were up there it felt like a cool from with the lack of humidity up there compared to the 105 temps + 50-60% humidity we came from here. It was 65 degrees at the top of Mount Evans. My Triumph handled the thin air of Mount Evans even two-up better than my friend carb'd Blackbird and his wifes small Honda, FI is a wonderful thing.

Nothing Honda makes appeals to me anymore, they have really let the American market lag, too focused on cruiser models for my liking. I do like a few of their offerings overseas like the Varadero (http://honda.co.uk/motorcycles/DispatcherServlet?hidActionDetail=viewproductdetai l&hidAction=Lookup&hidProductID=93&hidSelectedProductCode=XL1000V+ABS+Varadero&hidProductName=XL1000V+ABS+Varadero&hidMSGID=1&hidMSGCode=ADVENTURE&hidMSGName=Adventure&hidBannerPath=%2FmcStatic%2Fen%2Fpicture%2Fproduct %2FXL1000V+ABS+Varadero%2Fprd_main_Banner.jpg&hidHomePath=%2Fjsp%2FmsgADVENTUREHome.jsp). I was considering a Blackbird when I bought my Sprint, now everything I like is Euro bikes, the only Big 4 bike that I would even think about is a Yamaha FJR1300.

OUHOMER
7/13/2008, 08:55 PM
Too big of a bike for him, Softails are huge and for someone that small it is hard to get the right amount of leverage with those stupid ape hangers. He needs to change the handlebars.

he has not ridden in 30 plus years. he was talked into it by some friends of his. I think I have talked him into at least adjusting the bars 3 inches lower. But I think he needs to get new bars.

We will see..:confused:

apusooner
7/13/2008, 11:07 PM
im in the market for a bike and ive had my eye on the yamaha v star. ive never been on anything but a dirtbike. anyone know anything about them?

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 11:09 PM
Man, I really wished I lived somewhere a motorcycle was even sort of practical. I'd get rid of the car in a minute.

bluedogok
7/14/2008, 06:57 PM
Most that I have known with the V-Stars have liked them pretty well, a few even have some sportbike components like the brakes off an R1. IF I was looking at cruisers, it would definitely be worth a look but the "giving birth" forward control position does bad things to my back. So I am just not comfortable on them but I think the V-Stars are some of the best looking of the Big 4 cruisers.

StoopTroup
7/14/2008, 09:16 PM
I originally was looking at V-Stars before buying my VROD.

Since I bought used I thought I got a great deal on the VROD as I got lots of extras. IE: Custom saddlebags, windshield, custom Wide VROD seat, 3 oil filters, a new air filter, the original pipes and seat, battery charger....

If I had bought new I would still be putting together the bike I really was looking for in the first place.

I'm very glad I was patient and looked around.