PDA

View Full Version : Crooked X - The Next Hanson?

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2008, 02:42 PM
Let's hope not. The next Silverchair sounds much better.:cool:

The Straight Story About Crooked X

By day, they're just mild-mannered students at Coweta Junior High, right outside of Tulsa.

But at night, these unassuming 13-year-olds morph into one of the hottest young – and we do mean young – bands in their part of the country.

It's not accurate to say the band Crooked X has been around for "a while" – after all, that would put them on stage when they were barely out of elementary school.
But they are fairly seasoned vets have been playing the club circuit in and around the Midwest, where they have a following.

Crooked X is comprised of Forrest (Guitar, Lead Vocals), Jesse (Guitar, Vocals), Boomer (Drummer, Vocals) and Josh (Bass Guitar, Vocals).

"Some people come up to our parents while we're playing and say, how old are they, 16, 17? And they'd say, no, they're 13. People are, like, WHAT??," Forrest told CBS News special correspondent Adam Kontras (of Adam and the Egos, hosts of Living Room Live).

And the boys credit their parents with contributing to the success of the group: "My dad, ANY of the parents, if it wasn't for them, if we wouldn't have a strong group behind us like our parents...
we wouldn't be anywhere we are today," said Jesse.

Earlier this year they took a chance and submitted a tape to the kid's edition of The Early Show's Living Room Live competition, where they were the runners-up.

More importantly, their exposure on The Early Show caught the attention of two Los Angeles-based music pros, Doc McGhee and Spencer Proffer, who signed Crooked X to a multi-media contract.

Their Early Show appearance was the thing that got them signed, said McGhee, who has helped the careers of groups like KISS, Bon Jovi and Motley Crue. "That's how we found out about [the band] … After watching [their tape], we went, 'This is as good as it gets.'"

As for their plans for the boys, "I think, first and foremost, we need to create a media vehicle, which is a television show," said Proffer. "We really want to see [who] the guys are, not fictional, but factual, reality-based … That becomes the anchor, a record deal will follow, clearly. A merchandising deal, an agency deal …"

"I am totally excited," said Forrest. "I'm full of adrenaline right now. I can't quit jittering. I mean, like they all said, there's only one word that can put this all together and it's 'awesome'!"

"I think this is awesome," said Boomer. "It's just happening too quick for me. I'm still trying to realize what's going on right now."

"He's still in Coweta," said Josh.

"I'm still in Coweta, man!" responded Boomer.

Video Interview: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/22/earlyshow/leisure/main2969893.shtml

P_W4BGMuxd4

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=83011690

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 03:08 PM
FREAKING AWESOME!

OKLAHOMA > austin

Did you notice the "Crooked X" on his shoes?

Very cool.

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2008, 03:14 PM
Read where they did some Euro shows opening for Kiss, and now they're doing Rocklahoma and then opening some shows for Ted Nugent, plus playing in Sturgis.

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 03:19 PM
The Wife just saw the CBS interview and says "Hey that's Monty and Jody French! Jody was in my Class and Monty was one class ahead of me at Haskell HS!"

Good for them she says.

Looks like they have some great kids.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 03:24 PM
just goes to show how easy it is to master today's image/sound of "rock star". all the tropes have been done, the postures performed.

that the song itself is about it, is kind of brilliant.

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 03:32 PM
Just bought me a T-Shirt and a CD.

tulsaoilerfan
7/12/2008, 05:27 PM
I heard them on KMOD a couple of years ago; they played Friday Morning Live and were EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

badger
7/12/2008, 05:42 PM
They performed at Rocklahoma this weekend.

Widescreen
7/12/2008, 06:47 PM
The drummer's wearing a Malcolm Kelly jersey. Heh.

Rhino
7/12/2008, 10:38 PM
Crooked X Hangs with Lita Ford, Bret Michaels (http://www.oklahomarock.com/blog/?p=1088)

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 10:41 PM
Crooked X Hangs with Lita Ford, Bret Michaels (http://www.oklahomarock.com/blog/?p=1088)

that's enough "rock" royalty for most of the knuckleheads on here, and Mike Rich.

:texan:

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 11:08 PM

Back in the day I would have loved to hang with Lita Ford. :D

Haven't seen her lately so I don't know about these days.

Widescreen
7/12/2008, 11:18 PM
Kiss Me Deadly has to be one of the worst songs ever written. Seriously.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 11:23 PM
Kiss Me Deadly has to be one of the worst songs ever written. Seriously.

Yep, but it wasn't her music I liked, nor was it what most folks liked about her...IMO

StoopTroup
7/24/2008, 12:38 PM
I got the T-shirt and CD yesterday in the mail.

The Rock-n-roll Dream song isn't the best song on the album IMO.

Matter of fact it might be one of the bottom two IMO.

These kids rock. I like em.

That is all.

bri
7/24/2008, 01:11 PM
Crooked X - The Next Hanson?

Who knows? QT just announced that they're sponsoring a free all-day music fest at the River West Festival Grounds to celebrate their 50th anniversary, and both Hanson and Crooked X are on the bill. Ooh, maybe they'll jam together!

And yes, Leon Russell is headlining. Because it's required by law. :D

soonermix
7/24/2008, 03:18 PM
call me back when they start to play mmm bop gawd i love that song:rolleyes: :P

walkoffsooner
7/24/2008, 03:31 PM
Not bad hope they make it.

StoopTroup
7/24/2008, 04:47 PM
I'll have to go now. Is Leon on some sort of life support? I saw him years back at one of those picnics and he looked like he might die at any second.

As far as Crooked X goes....I like Procrastinator,Death of me and Lost Central.

Who knows? QT just announced that they're sponsoring a free all-day music fest at the River West Festival Grounds to celebrate their 50th anniversary, and both Hanson and Crooked X are on the bill. Ooh, maybe they'll jam together!

And yes, Leon Russell is headlining. Because it's required by law. :D

bri
7/24/2008, 05:14 PM
I think Leon actually died years ago and was replaced with a keyboard-playing gorilla from the Rock-A-Fire Explosion that they just painted gray.

SoonerFanatik
7/25/2008, 02:13 AM
Hanson? Are you talking Mmmm Bop Hanson?

Pricetag
7/25/2008, 09:25 AM
Are they changing their image? I always thought that their music was good, but too much like what their parents probably listened to in their younger years. That goes for their image, too. I can appreciate it, but I thought it probably wouldn't be ideal for their long-term success.

Partial Qualifier
7/25/2008, 09:49 AM
dude, that's awesome

where the hell is Coweta?

Widescreen
7/25/2008, 10:50 AM
dude, that's awesome

where the hell is Coweta?

Just east of Broken Arrow.If you're heading east on the BA expressway, just keep going 3 or 4 more miles and you're there.

StoopTroup
7/25/2008, 10:59 AM
Are they changing their image? I always thought that their music was good, but too much like what their parents probably listened to in their younger years. That goes for their image, too. I can appreciate it, but I thought it probably wouldn't be ideal for their long-term success.

That's a good point.

The Wife emailed them...haven't heard back as of yet. We might never for that matter.

As they have those LA guys trying to bring them into a TV show...

Who knows what can happen with the music.

They may make boocoo bucks with a TV Deal and then the music gets picked for them to keep the brand alive. I hope they get to be Kids and continue to write about their experiences. The Wife seems to think the Parent's will keep things grounded and they won't fall into the wrong hands.

I hope they continue to ROCK!