PDA

View Full Version : MK finally signs w/ Redskins

hgarmorer
7/12/2008, 09:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483884

bosworthsteroidmafia
7/12/2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, a 4 year deal worth only 3.36 million? Seems like the whole 40-time fiasco really cost him.

sooner59
7/12/2008, 11:21 AM
I bet now he is questioning his decision not to come back his senior year. But oh well, he got a 4 year deal for $3.36 Million, and he realized his dream to make it to the NFL. His goal needs to be to become a premiere receiver in the next 4 years. If he does, his next contract will be very nice.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 11:45 AM
I bet now he is questioning his decision not to come back his senior year. But oh well, he got a 4 year deal for $3.36 Million, and he realized his dream to make it to the NFL. His goal needs to be to become a premiere receiver in the next 4 years. If he does, his next contract will be very nice.

all things being equal, i'd rather have Lofton back.

Blitzkrieg
7/12/2008, 11:57 AM
Seeing the way he handled the whole 40 time thing made me glad he is gone. We had waaaaaaaay to many individuals the last two years, see the results in the last two fiesta bowls.

We need another Mark Clayton type to step up. Clayton wasn't highly regarded but he sure could play!

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 12:01 PM
all things being equal, i'd rather have Lofton back.

Werd

JLEW1818
7/12/2008, 03:10 PM
I think Owens could be a Clayton.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 03:35 PM
We had waaaaaaaay to many individuals the last two years, see the results in the last two fiesta bowls.

that's bull**** about the 06-07 team. so we lost to Boise with a team that overachieved all year without AD. our number was up. i don't think "individual play" cost us then. the lack of "individual play" got us there.

badger
7/12/2008, 03:46 PM
MK was probably sick of college ball. No money, a lot of classes and a lot of expectations. To college players, the NFL probably seems like paid vacation.

JLEW1818
7/12/2008, 05:03 PM
MK was probably sick of college ball. No money, a lot of classes and a lot of expectations. To college players, the NFL probably seems like paid vacation.

I agree

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 05:06 PM
Wish I could have left college a year early for a measly $3.36 million.

soonerfan28
7/12/2008, 07:34 PM
How many do you would think would stay around had Maurice Clarett won his case.

BoulderSooner79
7/12/2008, 09:28 PM

I don't think it would have made a big difference. It's not like hoops - most kids bodies are not ready for the NFL much earlier than 22yrs. There would be a few freaks of nature like AD and probably a few more losers like Clarett that are dreamin' and wouldn't even be drafted.

soonerfan28
7/12/2008, 10:01 PM
I think kids are coming out of high school even better prepared then they used to be. It would just be a matter of just getting used to the speed of the NFL.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 10:03 PM
I think kids are coming out of high school even better prepared then they used to be. It would just be a matter of just getting used to the speed of the NFL.

They ain't coming out of high school prepared for the NFL, no way now how.

It would be a very very select few, like perhaps an AD.

soonerguild
7/12/2008, 11:00 PM
They ain't coming out of high school prepared for the NFL, no way now how.

It would be a very very select few, like perhaps an AD.

agreed. plus the nfl is probably the most difficult to pick up mentally as well. Baseball is pretty much the same, pretty much. Basketball is more difficult as a pro but the curve is not near as steap as it is in the nfl. most kids need to get used to a college system before trying to pick up an nfl system. plus don't forget professional football players are the scarest group of people around, most if not all 18 year olds wouldn't make it through training camp.

badger
7/12/2008, 11:45 PM

There are a lot more positions for players to jump to in the NFL compared with the NBA. In the NBA, there's like a dozen players, whereas in the NFL, there's about 65 (plus all the ones that get a chance up until cutting days, and even a few that make practice squads).

The other side is that basketball is played across the world and in a lot more minor leagues than football. If you wanna play football, it's here or Canada. No other options. At least with basketball, if you can't be good enough here, there's many, many places to go.

I think that players would jump quicker if they could. The likes of some running backs, receivers, and even OMG TIM TEBOW would be able to play with the pros. However, whether or not they'd make an NFL roster is an entirely different story.

I still think MK was on college burnout and just wanted to go get his bling or whatever. Players have a lot more push at the pro level, without the need to maintain eligibility in your BS ballroom dancing courses, the constant ramen meals and pretending you're getting a degree. Like I said, the NFL probably seems like a paid vacation to MK compared to college.

goingoneight
7/13/2008, 01:13 PM
Kelly has yet to play a down for Washington. That's why he doesn't have some sickening multimillion dollar contract. Add insult to injury (literally in MK's case), he's on a team that already features other star receivers.

He's still without question the best pro-style receiver in the class. Period. If he tears it up like AD, Tommie and TRRW did in his first few years, he'll get a nice raise. Until then, I beg you to walk around Norman and survey 100 people and ask them if they'd like to leave school early and make over $3 million for doing it.

badger
7/14/2008, 10:18 AM
Until then, I beg you to walk around Norman and survey 100 people and ask them if they'd like to leave school early and make over $3 million for doing it.

I'm not faulting him for doing it, but of course, you should probably expand the question:

I beg you to walk around Norman and survey 100 people and ask them if they'd like to leave school early and make over $3 million for doing it, knowing that if they stayed for one more year, there is a very good chance $3 million would become $30 million, but also a slight chance $3 million could become $300,000.

If MK is a top 10 pick, he gets his contract and endorsements (the top receivers always do, because they're the flashiest players in football, next to QB). Thus, $3 million becomes $30 million at least. However, an injury might relegate him to a later round with a minimum contract of $300,000, but that is not as likely as his earning potential going up.

Based on how people act on gameshows where they start with nothing but have the potential to receive even more by taking a chance, I would say that half would go for the higher dollar, while half would take what's in front of them now.

Thus... I can't fault MK for doing what others have already done many times over.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/14/2008, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Blitzkrieg;2334772]Seeing the way he handled the whole 40 time thing made me glad he is gone. We had waaaaaaaay to many individuals the last two years, see the results in the last two fiesta bowls.

You hit the nail on the head!

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 01:23 AM
You know whats good about this year. Zero of our WR are going to be 1st rounders. So do you know what they will do? Bust their butt the entire season and try to win it all and get drafted. Our O-line is a different story, Duke and the load will still have to show scouts something. Exspecially Load, he needs to show nfl scouts that he is the real deal, BECAUSE HE WAS NOT LAST YEAR. By him working his hardest its going to help our team. I just hope that our team cares enough to win it all. In my opinion the month lay off is what kills us, but sure every team can say that. As for DM, if he wants the money this year, he better be rushing above 110 yards every game, and be electrifying. Nic Harris is a good Db, and so is Lendy. But honestly they still need to prove themselves this year. And I think Nic is one of the most loyal players we have on this team. I'm not trying to sound like I know it all, but I've talked to him before and he seems down to earth.

People like to say that M kelly was only caring about the NFL last year. You know what I don't know?

All I want this year is going into bowl season with zero injuries and players that want to win the game AS MUCH AS WE DO, and more than going to the nfl. Don't get me wrong that is hard to find.