PDA

View Full Version : If the HIPPIEFEST comes to your city

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/12/2008, 01:39 AM
DON'T MISS IT!!! The tour played here in Phoenix tonight.
Killer show! 4 hrs of bands playing their best stuff, and every one of them still sounded great:
Jonathan Edwards, Badfinger, Janis Ian, The Turtles, Cream(Jack Bruce brought down the house), Eric Burdon and the Animals

SicEmBaylor
7/12/2008, 02:07 AM
America haters. The lot of 'em. ;)

OULenexaman
7/12/2008, 02:20 AM
I saw Dave Mason tonight...at the Itasca Fest in the NW burbs in Chitown...does that count??

Cream??...Jack Bruce was the bass player...wonder who played with him?? Probably not EC or the drummer who I can't think of at the moment...which I should know...OLD age sucks...

OULenexaman
7/12/2008, 02:23 AM
Carmen Appice maybe??

swardboy
7/12/2008, 05:47 AM
Ginger Baker.....no, really.

7/12/2008, 09:26 AM
Cream??...Jack Bruce was the bass player...wonder who played with him?? Probably not EC or the drummer who I can't think of at the moment...which I should know...OLD age sucks...Bruce was/is the lead singer with Cream, as well. Srsly, the guy was incredible. The other guys playing with him I didn't know, but he is a fabulous singer and guitarist. Sunshine of Your Love was done better than I would have ever imagined. All the performers played great. He*l, even Janis Ian was excellent!

OklaPony
7/12/2008, 09:33 AM
Ginger Baker.....no, really.

Yup, GB it is!

Reminds of one of my all-time favorite jokes:

Q. What do Ginger Baker and strong coffee have in common?
A. They both suck without cream.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 09:33 AM
i wouldn't call any of those "hippie bands". British Invasion types mostly and Cream a blues band.

was the show sponsored by the local "oldies" radio station?

i thought most of Badfinger committed suicide. some really tragic stuff.

7/12/2008, 09:42 AM
i wouldn't call any of those "hippie bands". British Invasion types mostly and Cream a blues band.

was the show sponsored by the local "oldies" radio station?

i thought most of Badfinger committed suicide. some really tragic stuff.They had a good crowd, but the venue wasn't a sellout. I think their marketing could improve, especially by calling it something other than "Hippiefest". I believe the Badfinger singer was the original lead singer, but haven't yet googled it. The show is a tour, going to maybe 30 cities this summer. I believe the lineup changes some from town to town. The Turtles are American, as well as Jonathan Edwards and Janis Ian. The rest are Brits.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 10:34 AM
what i mean by british invasion-types are post-beatles American bands of the mid-60's....not their actual nationality. that's pretty conventional usage when it comes to rock music history.

the turtles are a stupid band: i'll take the zombies anyday:

s5Rqk2rG9s4

7/12/2008, 10:44 AM
what i mean by british invasion-types are post-beatles American bands of the mid-60's....not their actual nationality. that's pretty conventional usage when it comes to rock music history.

the turtles are a stupid band: i'll take the zombies anyday:

s5Rqk2rG9s4I had never before heard of any non-Brits referred to as British Invasion types. You take the Zombies. I'll take Christina Aguilera.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 11:00 AM
I had never before heard of any non-Brits referred to as British Invasion types. You take the Zombies. I'll take Christina Aguilera.

i mean Brit Invasion heavily influenced bands. the turtles are one.

better wear your raincoat.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 11:07 AM
Bill Favor: Aguilara: you take her, wear one (raincoat). dig?

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 11:11 AM
I remember finding out about you....

6rFSYg7--bI&feature=related

Didn't Badfinger get screwed over for the royalties of the song "Without You"?

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 11:30 AM
I remember finding out about you....

6rFSYg7--bI&feature=related

Didn't Badfinger get screwed over for the royalties of the song "Without You"?

something like that. they wrote a few great pop songs, and McCartney produced them. it's some terrible shizz the end of badfinger

OklaPony
7/12/2008, 12:22 PM
No Matter What was my fave from them.

OULenexaman
7/12/2008, 02:11 PM
I thought George Harrison produced Badfinger??....man did brain I fart on Ginger Baker or what.....what's up King....Dave Mason was great last night....dude looks pretty old....was wearing a SOX cap...which is just wrong up in the NW burbs of Chicago....

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 02:27 PM
No Matter What was my fave from them.

me too. Day after Day is good too. i think it's McCartney.

whaddup Lenexa, sooneron gave it to you the other day....sf ain't like it was in the old days, we have a more serious brand of knucklehead than "inna day".

you still cranking that Tower of Power?

7/12/2008, 02:57 PM
Bill Favor: Aguilara: you take her, wear one (raincoat). dig?I did. She said to thank you for your suggestion, but signed me up for flood insurance, instead.

7/12/2008, 05:17 PM
King C, the guy who is what's left of Badfinger, and who sang the BF songs last night was Joey Mulland. I knew basically nothing of the group's history, and therefore didn't know about all the changes it had over time. He represented very well, and I still am not sure who the lead singers were on their recorded hits. Shirley you know, eh?

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 05:37 PM
I thought George Harrison produced Badfinger??....man did brain I fart on Ginger Baker or what.....what's up King....Dave Mason was great last night....dude looks pretty old....was wearing a SOX cap...which is just wrong up in the NW burbs of Chicago....

according to wiki, GH produced BF. but they were on Apple.

i was wrong before.

OULenexaman
7/15/2008, 11:24 AM
WOO HOOO!! I still have some cells left!!:D

C&CDean
7/15/2008, 04:04 PM
The Turtles did not suck. Many people don't know that The Mothers of Invention were The Turtles. Zappa does some stuff on Live at the Fillmore about their one hit (Happy Together) hitting the chart......with a bullet.

Good stuff.

C&CDean
7/15/2008, 04:05 PM
Of course Zappa is dead, and probably so are the rest of the original band members so yeah, I guess you could say The Turtles suck.

7/15/2008, 04:50 PM
The Turtles did not suck. Many people don't know that The Mothers of Invention were The Turtles. Zappa does some stuff on Live at the Fillmore about their one hit (Happy Together) hitting the chart......with a bullet.

Good stuff.Except, the Turtles had 4 or 5 hits, and sang them all last friday. Their lead singer is a guy named "Eddie", although that's not his real name. Google it. Turtles Flo and Eddie were actually the MC's of the entire Hippiefest show, as well

Animal Mother
7/15/2008, 05:54 PM

Good stuff.

Flo and Eddie ("Phlorescent Leech and Eddie," Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan) sang with Zappa for quite sometime. "Fillmore East" is my favorite of their work together. Zappa just flat peaked when it was live. Studio stuff was great but live was another dimension.
Dean listens to Zappa. I am duly impressed. (like you give a rat’s azz!!). I may even vote for McCain now.

"What Kind of Girl Do You Think We Are???!!!"

I know I'm out of control but me and FZ go way back to junior high in the 70s.
Music guaranteed to make your parents want to disown you back then.

7/15/2008, 06:23 PM
I saw Zappa live in Dallas in the mid '70's. I was plenty wasted for that show, but it was superb, nevertheless. Frank played the guitar like a madman, and all those weird sounds that came out of that band were truly AMAZING!!!

OklaPony
7/16/2008, 09:41 PM
Dean listens to Zappa. I am duly impressed. (like you give a rat’s azz!!)...
Wouldn't that be a Hot Rats azz?

:D