PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets lose Najera to Nets

bluedogok
7/11/2008, 08:33 PM
Good luck Eduardo, maybe you will get some more minutes.
Most of the fans replies on the various articles are very complementary of him and wander why the Nuggets would let him go.

Rocky Mountain News - Nuggets lose Najera to Nets (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/11/nuggets-lose-najera-nets/)
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Originally published 12:11 p.m., July 11, 2008
Updated 01:43 p.m., July 11, 2008

Eduardo Najera is bound for New Jersey.

The free-agent forward agreed to terms Friday to sign with the Nets, and leave the Nuggets after 3 ½ seasons. The deal is worth about $12 million over four years.

“I’m in a good position right now,’’ Najera told the Rocky Mountain News. “I feel really good about it.’’

The Nets announced they have reached agreements in principle with Najera as well as free-agent swingman Jarvis Hayes. The agreements are contingent on both players passing physicals.

“We are very pleased to add two veterans like Eduardo and Jarvis to our roster,’’ Nets president Rod Thorn said in a statement. “Both are solid, competitive NBA players who will add versatility and depth to both our frontcourt and backcourt rotations.’’

Najera said he “definitely’’ will accept New Jersey’s offer.

Najera was in Orlando, Fla., where the Nets are playing in summer league, on Thursday and Friday to meet with Thorn, Nets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe and coach Lawrence Frank. Vandeweghe, New Jersey’s general manager, was Denver’s general manager from 2001-06, and traded for Najera in February 2005.

Friday is Najera’s 32nd birthday. He called the offer a “great’’ gift.

The Nuggets had at least initial interest in keeping Najera, and coach George Karl called him twice during the first week of free agency. However, the Nuggets are deep into the luxury tax and any contract would have cost them double.

“They could have made some moves (to clear money),’’ said Najera, who said he hasn’t heard much from the Nuggets in recent days and they never made an offer.

Najera said last summer he offered to not opt out of the final year of his contract (paying $4.95 million) and sign a four-year deal that would have paid him a lesser salary last season.

“I offered to save them some money,’’ Najera said of last season. “But, for some reason, it didn’t work out.’’

Najera called it bittersweet leaving Denver.

“Definitely,’’ he said. “I spent four years of my life there. I got to know a whole lot of people. Obviously, you get attached.’’

Najera expects his contract to be front-loaded. One reason is the Nets are trying to carve out a good bit of salary-cap room in 2010, when they are expected to go after likely free agent LeBron James.

Curly Bill
7/11/2008, 08:42 PM
In Denver Najera was a defensive player on an offensive team...

...in other words his skills did not fit with their philosophy.

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 01:42 AM
In Denver Najera was a defensive player on an offensive team...

...in other words his skills did not fit with their philosophy.

i think it has to do more with Eddie getting into his "last contract" type situation and getting older. the Nuggets are strapped for cash. Eddie's hurt a lot. and they already pay out the nose for Nene who is also hurt a lot.

i watch the Nugs 2-3 times a week here in Colorado. i don't think it's a "philosophical" thing. the Nuggets are a bad D team. it has more to do with the players on the floor than a philosophy.

Eddie had some really good years in Denver, so i don't buy the "bad fit" suggestion. He was money three years ago when the Nugs went nuts after the all-star break. he started most of those games when Camby was hurt. He and AI were about the only one's on the team who seemed to give a **** many nights.

i'll miss Eddie, but props to him.

the_ouskull
7/13/2008, 06:27 PM
Eddie's never been a great, or even really a good NBA-caliber player, but he's going to give 100% effort all of the time, he's going to be hard-nosed defense, and he's not afraid to get in the paint and mix it up with people that are often 6+ inches taller and that also outweigh him by a great deal. He's tough, tough, tough, and, because of that, he and his family will never have to wonder where their next meal is coming from... That's a good security to have in life.

I wonder from whom he learned how to play basketball that way... Surely it wasn't Kelvin Sampson, 'cause to hear the stories told around here, he wasn't a good coach at all. Boring. Can't develop players...

Idiots.

the_ouskull

sooneron
7/13/2008, 09:16 PM
Wow, I may have to go to a few Nets games this year. Tickets are cheap. Real cheap by the all star break. :D