PDA

View Full Version : Any good position battles in August?

soonerfan28
7/11/2008, 05:58 PM
I was just curious if anybody thought we would have any good position battles this fall? I know Trent Williams and Braxton are going to battle for the starting RT, but will probably both play. I also thought we would have a good battle at WLB with Box, Lewis and Bryant. Maybe a battle between Sims and Holmes for the FS. Can't really think of anyone else, so if you have anymore let me know. I also noticed that soonersports.com updated the 2008 depth chart on July 9th. I know that we aren't even in August so that depth chart doesn't mean anything.

OK2U
7/11/2008, 06:09 PM
Chaney vs Tennell

Sooner_09
7/11/2008, 07:55 PM
Tennell won't be back until mid-season though right?

Weakside Linebacker is the position I'll be watching

goingoneight
7/11/2008, 08:20 PM
Chaney vs Tennell

Chaney's way out ahead of this one right now, but even these two aren't locked in as 1a and 1b. Tennell's not been as productive, and he's injured.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/11/2008, 08:23 PM
I think a heated battle for QB!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sooner59
7/12/2008, 01:16 AM
Haven't you heard, there is no QB battle. Halzle is our man since Bradford and Jones got busted. J/K!

47straight
7/12/2008, 05:39 PM
Even though English should be back in form, there's enough talent at DE to make sure a lot of people get looks.

JLEW1818
7/12/2008, 05:42 PM
R.J Washington is hungry.

badger
7/12/2008, 05:44 PM
Might be some competition for who gets the ball from Sam Bradford.

Think about it - great TE, great receivers, great running game.

Who gets the ball?!

JLEW1818
7/12/2008, 05:45 PM
I think Chris Brown is one of the most underrated backs in the league.

KantoSooner
7/14/2008, 11:29 AM
Any word on Murray and how his rehab is progressing?

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 11:44 AM
This is from April, don't know how helpful it is.

DeMarco Murray injury "getting a lot better": He says he's stronger, thicker and more muscled -- at least from the waist up. His legs are still unable to carry a full workload. "I've got another couple months before I can really start sprinting hard, hard," he said. "But it's getting a lot better. I don't feel any pain in my knee, so rehab's going great for me so far." (Tulsa World)

KantoSooner
7/14/2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I vaguely remembered that one, and I'm pretty confident his strength and straight line speed will be intact. but I blew my knee out skiing a couple of years go and I'm still goosey when taking lateral stress on it. I'm fearful he may have lost some cutting ability.

Collier11
7/14/2008, 01:25 PM
I have heard that RJ is pushing for PT and that Box may beat out Reynolds for MLB if Box cant be out Lewis for OLB

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 01:42 PM
I have heard that RJ is pushing for PT and that Box may beat out Reynolds for MLB if Box cant be out Lewis for OLB

Very interesting please keep us updated.

REMINDER

College Football Live airs in seven days. July 21.

Collier11
7/14/2008, 02:15 PM
Itll be interesting to see if Bryant and Sims can move into the two deep

Blitzkrieg
7/14/2008, 03:44 PM
missionary versus cowgirl -always a tough fight.

soonerfan28
7/14/2008, 03:56 PM
I thought Sims wouldn't be here until August and he may have to contribute on special teams first. The guy is electric with the ball in his hands.

soonerfan28
7/14/2008, 04:00 PM

Any chance that will happen?

Collier11
7/14/2008, 04:20 PM
Any chance that will happen?

FWIW, it was on the sports animal about a week ago and Al was talking about Reynolds and how he just cant get any speed back and is a 5.0 guy now. There is a big time battle between lewis and box for olb and if lewis holds on they will move box to mlb and he will compete against reynolds as a 4.6 guy

soonerfan28
7/14/2008, 04:36 PM
Posted twice

badger
7/14/2008, 04:39 PM
Poor Reynolds. He was such a top recruit out of high school and never really clicked here. He's constantly dogged by fans but coaches do nothing but defend him.

I hope he has a career year, just to shut people up.

soonerfan28
7/14/2008, 04:40 PM
I was just on soonersports.com and they had Alan Davis starting ahead of Frank Alexander at DE and they had Adrian Taylor starting ahead of Granger, but that may be part of the five finger discount thing. Here's the link.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 05:25 PM
ya i seen that too.

soonerfan28
7/14/2008, 05:45 PM
Maybe Reynolds can put 50 lbs on and play DT. Does he have a RS I don't feel like looking. Nevermind,. He used his RS in 2006 after the knee injury. I hope he can start and be a factor, but if not then we have to do what's best for the team, but it just seems like J White's situation.

MojoRisen
7/14/2008, 07:47 PM
Reynolds is going to be good in the middle, You don't need 4-6 speed to play in the middle. Lofton ran a 48 -49 and crushed...

I think you need to fill gaps and I think Reynolds is the guy to beat at that position. He has better instincts than most and that makes a big difference over 1 tenth of a second in the 40 or even 2 tenths.

The guy started last year and will only be better this year...

Crow is listed 1 on the depth chart over Box and lewis third team...

Collier11
7/14/2008, 08:04 PM
Reynolds is going to be good in the middle, You don't need 4-6 speed to play in the middle. Lofton ran a 48 -49 and crushed...

I think you need to fill gaps and I think Reynolds is the guy to beat at that position. He has better instincts than most and that makes a big difference over 1 tenth of a second in the 40 or even 2 tenths.

The guy started last year and will only be better this year...

Crow is listed 1 on the depth chart over Box and lewis third team...

Not my opinion, I was just passing along what the coaches had told Al FWIW

soonerfan28
7/14/2008, 08:19 PM
I can't see Crow starting. I think it will be Lewis.

Dan Thompson
7/14/2008, 09:40 PM
Is Loadhold(sp) the best we have at Left OT? IMHO, too many fast DE get past/around him on pass defense.

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 01:12 AM
The best thing Load has for him is intimidating. Don't get me wrong the dude is a football man. But seriously how much does his size help him, mentally? Load is the man. I just see him being better in the NFL if anybody can agree with me there, prlly not. I just see him being better in the NFL then College, that probably makes no sense to anybody, but thats what I think. I guess save this post and talk to me in 5 years, lol .

Regardless our O-Line is one of the top in the country, and our d-line is too. Anything below a national title appearance is a huge disappointment. Sorry guys i'm just ready for the season so I can get in a routine. I just want to win so bad.

FYI, We've been in the last 2 Orange bowl national title games.

Oh and this year is the Orange bowl title

Collier11
7/15/2008, 08:55 AM
Is Loadhold(sp) the best we have at Left OT? IMHO, too many fast DE get past/around him on pass defense.

He is a potential AA, yes he is the best we have

illinisooner
7/15/2008, 10:14 AM
True, the Load can be beat by good speed rushers off the end, but that's nothing a tight end or blocking back can't fix.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 10:17 AM
Then he needs to work on footwork and getting out of his stance quicker, which is why he jumped offsides more last year.

NormanPride
7/15/2008, 10:59 AM
Good competition at the SAM between Lewis and Bryant I hear. Bryant is a JUCO guy that came in around the first of June, and has been doing well in the summer. I would be shocked to no end if Reynolds didn't start. He's the field general out there, and Venables trusts him with his gameplan.

The corner spots are open as well as the safety spot opposite Lendy. Looks to be between Proctor, Sims, and Carter there. Carter has been here a few years but just hasn't been able to start due to senior players being ahead of him. Sims is a JUCO kid with a lot of speed that won't be here until August, I think. Proctor is apparently a freak of nature and trains regularly with Chuck Norris. FWIW.

soonerfan28
7/15/2008, 11:03 AM
Where is Nic Harris? Have they moved him to LB?