PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Eating place question

Sooner_Havok
7/11/2008, 05:10 PM
So my and mai lady's anniversary is coming up and I want to take her to a fancy eating place. Right now I have it narrowed down to Nonna's and the Mantel. Any thoughts?

yermom
7/11/2008, 05:14 PM
i wasn't all that impressed with Nonna's

i remember thinking if i came back, it would be for dessert

Sooner_Havok
7/11/2008, 05:17 PM

Just looking at the menu I am not to impressed with Nonna's. They have fewer items at higher prices.

mdklatt
7/11/2008, 05:18 PM

FWIW, that's what everybody says about that fondue place, too.

Bone
7/11/2008, 05:18 PM

Ditto.

You should check out Whispering Pines. It is located around 72nd Ave SE and Highway 9. We have eaten there 3-4 times and the food has been great every time.

Also check out "The Melting Pot" in bricktown. It isn't real fancy, but it is unique and intimate.

Bone
7/11/2008, 05:19 PM

The Melting Pot = "that fondue place"

Sooner_Havok
7/11/2008, 05:21 PM
Ditto.

You should check out Whispering Pines. It is located around 72nd Ave SE and Highway 9. We have eaten there 3-4 times and the food has been great every time.

Also check out "The Melting Pot" in bricktown. It isn't real fancy, but it is unique and intimate.

What kind of food do they do?

Sooner_Havok
7/11/2008, 05:24 PM

She had mentioned wanting to go there. She wants something "different" this year. In the past we have been to the Wilds, Mahogany, Killkenny's in Tulsa, Royal Bavaria, and Shoguns. So something off beat would be nice

mdklatt
7/11/2008, 05:26 PM
She had mentioned wanting to go there. She wants something "different" this year. In the past we have been to the Wilds, Mahogany, Killkenny's in Tulsa, Royal Bavaria, and Shoguns. So something off beat would be nice

That's a lot of anniversaries. It's time to nut up and pop the question already. ;)

Bone
7/11/2008, 05:29 PM
Whispering Pines serves traditional French fare... duck breast, rack of lamb, steaks, coq-au-vin, beef wellington. Their menu changes from time to time, I'm not sure how often. There are usually only about 7-8 entrees available I think. The service (We've always had David as our waiter.) is excellent. The atmosphere is very relaxed and pretty intimate.

Sooner_Havok
7/11/2008, 05:30 PM
That's a lot of anniversaries. It's time to nut up and pop the question already. ;)

She is actually pizzed cause she knows I am, and worse of all, she knows when :D I told her once both of us are done with college. I graduated, and she is up this year.

yermom
7/11/2008, 05:30 PM
Whispering Pines serves traditional French fare... duck breast, rack of lamb, steaks, coq-au-vin, beef wellington. Their menu changes from time to time, I'm not sure how often. There are usually only about 7-8 entrees available I think. The service (We've always had David as our waiter.) is excellent. The atmosphere is very relaxed and pretty intimate.

$$$?

they going to kick me out wearing jorts and Crocs?

Sooner_Havok
7/11/2008, 05:32 PM

Would dinner for 2 be under $200?

Bone
7/11/2008, 08:05 PM
Would dinner for 2 be under $200?

Oh ya. You can get a great meal and wine for around $150 including a generous tip.

Hamhock
7/12/2008, 08:45 AM
somebody (BRJ?) recommended Red Prime last time I was trying to get the wife to put out. I was not disappointed. (in the steak)

King Crimson
7/12/2008, 08:53 AM
somebody (BRJ?) recommended Red Prime last time I was trying to get the wife to put out. I was not disappointed. (in the steak)

jeez. :confused: :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/12/2008, 11:21 AM
So my and mai lady's anniversary is coming up and I want to take her to a fancy eating place. Right now I have it narrowed down to Nonna's and the Mantel. Any thoughts?I would go to Mickey Mantle's before I went to either of those places.

StoopTroup
7/12/2008, 11:29 AM
She is actually pizzed cause she knows I am, and worse of all, she knows when :D I told her once both of us are done with college. I graduated, and she is up this year.

So...

Are all of us invited to the weddin'? :D :pop:

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 11:59 AM
So my and mai lady's anniversary is coming up and I want to take her to a fancy eating place. Right now I have it narrowed down to Nonna's and the Mantel. Any thoughts?

The Mantel was average at best. Been there twice, both times I walked away unimpressed. I'd rather eat at Zio's or the Spaghetti Warehouse.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/12/2008, 12:52 PM
McDowell's.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/McDowellsFacade.jpg

Get the Big Mick.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 04:44 PM

A for real LOL.

SPEK :D

Hamhock
7/23/2008, 09:58 AM

did the Skirvin/Red Prime tour again.

had the sugar/sea salt crusted filet. it was awesome.

frankensooner
7/23/2008, 10:06 AM
The Melting Pot is a great place to waste 3 hours. It was pretty tasty, especially the desserts, but it takes a long time. We had a very intimate table towards the back of the place. Good for holding hands and stealing a kiss! Make a reservation and tell them you want one of the private tables in the back!

TheHumanAlphabet
7/23/2008, 10:08 AM
Take it from me, you want to impress - Go to The Coach House. Alternatively take her to the Skirvin Park Avenue Grill or Mickey Mantel's. Coach House by far the best place we have eaten in OKC.

Do not under any circumstance go to Red Prime ! ;) !!

Hamhock
7/23/2008, 10:13 AM
Take it from me, you want to impress - Go to The Coach House. Alternatively take her to the Skirvin Park Avenue Grill or Mickey Mantel's. Coach House by far the best place we have eaten in OKC.

Do not under any circumstance go to Red Prime ! ;) !!

We can agree to disagree. Mickey Mantel's is an attempt (and failure) at Mahogany. At least Red Prime is doing its own thing. I've eaten at both in the last 30 days. No comparison, IMO.

I'll try the Coach House next time I'm in town.

StoopTroup
7/23/2008, 10:15 AM
Toby Keith's....you'll never forget it. :D

frankensooner
7/23/2008, 10:21 AM
If you go to Toby Keith's be sure to get the corn. MMMMM that there is good eatin'. I feel like a little kid at his tables. Were they designed for giants?

StoopTroup
7/23/2008, 10:25 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm......lol.

Jimminy Crimson
7/23/2008, 10:59 AM
I'm hungry.

I could go for a steak from anyplace mentioned in this thread besides McDowell's.

Sooner_Havok
7/23/2008, 01:06 PM
The Melting Pot is a great place to waste 3 hours. It was pretty tasty, especially the desserts, but it takes a long time. We had a very intimate table towards the back of the place. Good for holding hands and stealing a kiss! Make a reservation and tell them you want one of the private tables in the back!

Actually have done that already ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
7/26/2008, 07:20 AM
We can agree to disagree. Mickey Mantel's is an attempt (and failure) at Mahogany. At least Red Prime is doing its own thing. I've eaten at both in the last 30 days. No comparison, IMO.

I'll try the Coach House next time I'm in town.

I respect your opinion. The meal the Mrs. and I had at Mantel's was far superior than what we had at Red Prime. Don't know about you, but if you order a Wagyu beef steak dry aged, it should generally be plain and not doctored up. I understand their gimick, I don't think it was pulled off the night the Mrs. and I visited. The Park Avenue Grill and the Skirvin were excellent visits.

Not living in Oklahoma, I don't know anything about Mahagony. Is it still around?

If you like Continental cuisine that uses locally fresh ingredients, you will not be disappointed in The Coach House - IMO.

BigRedJed
7/26/2008, 09:57 AM
This thread is full of wrong and confusion, but the thing that is perhaps most easily debated is that "Mickey Mantel's (SIC) is an attempt (and failure) at Mahogany." Mickey Mantle's predated Mahogany in OKC by years, and was also open long before the original Mahogany in Tulsa.

If anything, MM's is a different spin on Kirby's, which started in Dallas and now has several Texas locations. MM's is part of the same family of restaurants, much as Mahogany is connected to Toby Keith's, Charleston's, and one of my favorite places, Red Rock Canyon Grill. Red Prime is in the Good Egg group, which also includes Cheever's and Iron Starr BBQ.

Also, I think a number of people confuse Mickey Mantle's and The Mantel, two places in Bricktown with separate ownership and very different menus/vibes.

BigRedJed
7/26/2008, 10:14 AM
I think Nonna's is a great place from a "romantic setting" standpoint, but I would go to a number of other places first if I were specifically looking for a steak. Their pasta dishes, chicken and other itemes are top shelf, though.

Red Prime is another "romantic setting" place, as is the aforementioned Coach House. Red Prime would be my pick of all of those places if I was hungry for steak, though. I say Red Prime and Mickey Mantle's are the best places for steak, specifically, in OKC. Both of them lack pretension, too, if that's a deciding factor. Especially MM's. Don't wear shorts, but jeans and a nice shirt are good either place. Wear slacks and a jacket or a suit if you go to the Coach House. I'd probably go a bit more formal to Nonna's, too.

The Park Avenue Grill is a great setting, and you can always move your date to a beautiful room upstairs, but they're still finding their way as a restaurant, IMO. Soleil in the Colcord never found its way. Save your money. Beautiful hotel, great club downstairs, pretty restaurant, mediocre food, lousy service. Beware.