PDA

View Full Version : Favre asks Packers for unconditional release....

Salt City Sooner
7/11/2008, 03:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

JohnnyMack
7/11/2008, 03:23 PM
This is getting stupid. He's making a HUGE mistake.

Scott D
7/11/2008, 03:48 PM
This is Kasey Casem with a long distance dedication. This is from Ted in Green Bay, to a long time icon in the Green Bay area.

It says Dear Kasey, for over 15 years we had the pleasure of having Brett be the Quarterback for our beloved Packers. However, a few months ago Brett decided he wanted to retire..then in the past few days he began harassing me with texts wanting to come back. So Kasey, could you play Motley Crue's "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)!" for Brett. And let him know that it's how we as a franchise feel about him and what he should do with his career. Thanks

Ted Thompson
00t8TbYizI0

badger
7/11/2008, 03:53 PM
A better song, sorry:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6B8JayH6NQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6B8JayH6NQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(but admittedly a much sheedier video)

I'm kind of already bummed that NP's outta town this weekend, so get back to me later when we see which team he goes to. If he goes to OKC's NBA team, we might have reason to cheer. If he goes to, say, the Minnesota Vikings, somebody kill me now.

KC//CRIMSON
7/11/2008, 04:49 PM
Packers say: No, but you can come back and ride the pine if you want.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678?MSNHPHMA

BudSooner
7/11/2008, 05:13 PM
Awesome, take a seat bitch!

yermom
7/11/2008, 05:18 PM
that's a pretty expensive benchwarmer

sooner2b09
7/11/2008, 05:23 PM
AH! NO!

Curly Bill
7/11/2008, 07:15 PM
I think maybe the Packers have hurt his feelers.

badger
7/11/2008, 07:24 PM
I would have thought he would have learned from Reggie White (rest his soul). For those of you that don't remember, he had a great Super Bowl winning career in Green Bay. He had the record for sacks and all in the Super Bowl and he has his jersey (NOT number, mind you) retired before he died.

Of course, when he initially retired, he retired in Green Bay. Then, "God spoke" to him and he came back to play for Carolina. He had an unproductive last season.

It's one thing to play forever for your first or primary team. It's another to play forever just to play. Goodbye legacy. Well, at least he made a lot of money.

Curly Bill
7/11/2008, 07:28 PM
...but he's Brett Favre.

olevetonahill
7/11/2008, 09:45 PM
How Did Joe Montana do when He came back ?

RacerX
7/11/2008, 10:20 PM
Come on Vikings!

Scott D
7/12/2008, 12:02 PM
How Did Joe Montana do when He came back ?

Joe didn't retire, he just didn't remain with the 49ers.

The sad thing with Favre now, is that it seems like he's trying to beat Michael Jordan's amount of retirements. Not exactly a record I'd want. ;)

olevetonahill
7/12/2008, 12:22 PM
Joe didn't retire, he just didn't remain with the 49ers.

The sad thing with Favre now, is that it seems like he's trying to beat Michael Jordan's amount of retirements. Not exactly a record I'd want. ;)

I couldnt remember, I thot he did to make way fer thay other dood.

tulsaoilerfan
7/12/2008, 05:30 PM
According to what i have heard, he didn't want to retire, but the Packers forced his hand, and he regretted it from the time he did it

Big Red Ron
7/12/2008, 06:25 PM
They said he was more than welcome to backup Aaron Rogers.

Wow, I'm starting to think this isn't going to work out well for the PACK.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 06:25 PM
I couldnt remember, I thot he did to make way fer thay other dood.

The 49ers front office told Joe that Steve Young was going to be the starter the next year and that they couldn't pay him starter money to ride the bench (Joe was in a free agent year.) So he went to KC, where they paid him starter money. Did pretty well there, too, taking KC to the playoffs.

The 49ers made the right move, though, as Young was arguably the best QB in the league with the possible exception of Aikman those next few years.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 06:32 PM
My fault-Montana was still under contract but had lost his job to Young due to being injured the majority of the 1991 season and Young performing well as the QB of the future. Montana requested and was granted a trade.

Scott D
7/12/2008, 06:32 PM
According to what i have heard, he didn't want to retire, but the Packers forced his hand, and he regretted it from the time he did it

can't blame the Packers for that imo. How many years of his indecisiveness should they weather, disrupting their plans in regards to drafting and free agency?

snp
7/12/2008, 07:06 PM
I wish that drama queen would go away already. So sick and tired hearing about what he might do.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 07:06 PM
I wish that drama queen would go away already. So sick and tired hearing about what he might do.

yep

olevetonahill
7/12/2008, 07:09 PM
My fault-Montana was still under contract but had lost his job to Young due to being injured the majority of the 1991 season and Young performing well as the QB of the future. Montana requested and was granted a trade.

Thanks I couldnt remember the details.

r5TPsooner
7/12/2008, 07:17 PM
If I were the Green Bay GM I'd tell him to enjoy hunting and fishing this fall.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks I couldnt remember the details.

Apparently neither could I. :D

Which is odd, as my dad is a big 49ers fan.

I know, I know, having two NFL teams is lame, but since dad used to go to games at Kezar Stadium when he was really little, then went to every Charger game the first year they moved from San Diego, I figure our NFL loyalties are at least honest.

Plus, when dad went to San Diego State, Don Coryell was the coach-and when he got his Master's at Oregon, Dan Fouts was the QB. :D

soonerfan28
7/12/2008, 07:31 PM
I heard that they will take him back as a backup, but that seems a little ****ed up considering what he's done while there. I understand you don't want a guy who is going to consider retirement ever year cause that gets a little old after a few years (the last 4), but the fans want him back in Green Bay, so the Packers organization should listen to the fans. It isn't like Rogers is going to lead that team with Favre on the roster.

Sooner24
7/12/2008, 07:55 PM
I think Brett has soiled is reputation big time on this deal.

Shneeg11
7/12/2008, 10:02 PM

Agreed, I think Green Bay is making the correct move

soonerfan28
7/12/2008, 10:06 PM
Just curious how he has soiled his reputation? The guy has doesn't anything wrong other then retire and change his mind. People make it sound like he was cutting cocaine in the back of an SUV or having illegal dogfights. If they don't want him then let him go and he won't be your problem.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 10:11 PM
He looks somewhat like the spoiled brat because he thinks the Packer world should revolve around him.

Ash
7/12/2008, 10:13 PM
Just curious how he has soiled his reputation? The guy has doesn't nothing wrong other then retire and change his mind. People make it sound like he was cutting cocaine in the back of an SUV or having illegal dogfights. If they don't want him then let him go and he won't be your problem.

As more of the story comes out, we find out he's been playing this game with the Packers for a few years now. He finally decided to actually retire. They finally decided to try and move forward. They also didn't tell him he would be the backup...at least according to the latest reports, they told him he'd have his roster spot and the position would be an open competition.

bluedogok
7/12/2008, 10:18 PM
If the Packers really want to move forward, then grant him his outright release. That is really what he is asking for, he knows his Packer days are over since they couldn't wait to get him out of the building. Let him play his last couple of years (or maybe year behind a bad line) somewhere else, then the Packers don't have to deal with him. Holding onto him to keep him from going to Chicago or Minnesota is just petty.

Ash
7/12/2008, 10:24 PM
It would be foolish to let your Hall of Fame player go to a division rival.

That's an Al Davis type of move - Marcus Allen.

Curly Bill
7/12/2008, 10:24 PM
Holding onto him to keep him from going to Chicago or Minnesota is just petty.

...and smart. Why would they want to possibly aid their competition?

goingoneight
7/12/2008, 10:51 PM
Fave-er is/was a great player... but if not fopr last year's miracle run, which was majorly due to the whole team being good. Rodgers looked pretty damn good against a great Dallas team. My point: Green Bay should tell him what they've told him. There are plenty of quarterbacks who enentually ride the pine behind a young gunner in the league. GB is trying to move forward, and this would be very hard to do as Favre gets older and his game begins to suffer.

In BF's defense... nobody wants a career like his to end with an intercepton. Nobody. It's his pride on the line. Think about OUr own Jason White... one of the greatest college QBs of all time, but a stinker in his final game is how people always think of him. Question is: if BF comes back, is he the BF version 2007 or the BF version 2006? One's a legendary player an entire fanbase is begging to retire, one is a guy an entire fanbase loves and shrieks everytime he takes a hit.

I certainly understand GB wanting to move on with Rodgers. Look at how Switzer went out at OU. He was pissed at OU for a few years, but eventually realized how much time and effort he put into the football program an now he's King again. I know this is off-topic, but IMO we would have been fried by the media if we rehired the King.

badger
7/12/2008, 11:41 PM
Ron, we already had an agonizing thread on this agonizing topic over at general sports :(

I think you all just like torturing the Packer fan :mad:

Scott D
7/13/2008, 10:04 AM
If the Packers really want to move forward, then grant him his outright release. That is really what he is asking for, he knows his Packer days are over since they couldn't wait to get him out of the building. Let him play his last couple of years (or maybe year behind a bad line) somewhere else, then the Packers don't have to deal with him. Holding onto him to keep him from going to Chicago or Minnesota is just petty.

Why should they give him his release? Rather than play his pathetic "will I or won't I retire" game all summer, they asked him what he planned to do. They insisted he make a decision back when they could then address things around that decision. He decided to retire, story ends there. He wants to come back, he's got a signed contract that he will get paid from. Hell, even Johnny Unitas finished his career as a backup because he hung around too long.

Socrefbek
7/13/2008, 10:20 AM
I heard that they will take him back as a backup, but that seems a little ****ed up considering what he's done while there. I understand you don't want a guy who is going to consider retirement ever year cause that gets a little old after a few years (the last 4), but the fans want him back in Green Bay, so the Packers organization should listen to the fans. It isn't like Rogers is going to lead that team with Favre on the roster.

I forgot who said it but there was a GM who correctly stated ... "If you start listening to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with the fans." :texan:

birddog
7/13/2008, 11:36 AM

yessir, a guy who has the respect of fans all over the country and now he's forcing them to throw their hands in the air in frustration.

r5TPsooner
7/13/2008, 11:40 AM
I'm a Packers fan so let me get that outta the way 1st. 2nd, I think that the Packers did the right thing. Favre told the franchise that he was moving on, so they did like wise in the draft.

If Favre wants to come back, let him. Make the QB spot an open competition and go from there.

IMHO, it seems that Brett wants to have his cake and eat it too. He also seems to want out of Green Bay which is a bad move on his part. Personally, how can you let a player of his worth just do as they please in regards to picking and choosing when and where they play.

Personally, I think that he's hurting his reputation and the Green Bay franchise as well.

Retire or compete with Rodgers for the starting position.

tulsaoilerfan
7/13/2008, 12:00 PM
As a Dallas fan this story makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

sooner518
7/13/2008, 06:04 PM
Im just tired of hearing about it every other day on ESPN.

Animal Mother
7/14/2008, 12:11 PM
They said he was more than welcome to backup Aaron Rogers.

Wow, I'm starting to think this isn't going to work out well for the PACK.

Yawn

stoops the eternal pimp
7/15/2008, 12:46 PM
as a lifetime non Favre fan I say let him come back and play...then he can do his whiny cry retirement speech again except this time the sports world will roll their eyes and the 2 people in attendance will do the coughing bulls*** routine that should have been done at the last time...

badger
7/15/2008, 02:02 PM
as a lifetime non Favre fan I say let him come back and play...then he can do his whiny cry retirement speech again except this time the sports world will roll their eyes and the 2 people in attendance will do the coughing bulls*** routine that should have been done at the last time...

I think I have just become a lifelong non-eternal pimp fan :mad:

;)

stoops the eternal pimp
7/15/2008, 03:25 PM
I think I have just become a lifelong non-eternal pimp fan :mad:

;)

success! not in you not being a fan of mine but was just hoping to get somewhat of a rise out of ya....

badger
7/15/2008, 03:27 PM
success! not in you not being a fan of mine but was just hoping to get somewhat of a rise out of ya....

You got no such rise out of me... except in sarcasm.

snp
7/15/2008, 03:30 PM
Im just tired of hearing about it every other day on ESPN.

Complain to ESPN (http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html)

JLEW1818
7/15/2008, 03:46 PM
I wish ESPN was just allowed to talk about College football, ohh my!!

r5TPsooner
7/16/2008, 07:19 AM
I just saw the Favre interview on Fox and all that I can say is that this makes Favre look very bad. He comes across as a whiney, spoiled, millionaire QB who isn't getting his way, so he runs to the press like a big ole baby to start a war of words.

As a Packers fan and as a Favre fan, he should either honor his retirement or come back to the Packers and compete for the job.

$12 million a year to hold a clip board ain't all that bad Bret! Plus, who is gonna give enough to the Packers in a trade for a player who can't decide if he wants to play or retire year in and year out? Not only that, he has maybe 2-3 years left in the tank tops.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/16/2008, 08:39 AM
You got no such rise out of me... except in sarcasm.

doh!:D

JohnnyMack
8/4/2008, 09:31 AM
OK so he's back. He played chicken with the Packers front office and won. Favre has insinuated that he was pressured into retiring and never fully felt comfortable with the decision. Maybe the head office did pressure him, maybe they didn't wanna pay the $12 million he was due and thought they had enough infrastructure around the QB position so that Aaron Rodgers could be brought along in the next couple of years and help keep them under the cap. At the end of the day I'm glad that Favre didn't accept the $20 million marketing deal to stay retired, that would have destroyed his credibility in my eyes.

I wonder how long Aaron Rodgers spent jamming pins into his Brett Favre voodoo doll last night?

Phantasm
8/4/2008, 09:44 AM
Favre to the Bears! That would be the best!!

Big Red Ron
8/5/2008, 04:09 PM
God, please let him go the the Vikings and help AD win the MVP award!!

soonersn20xx
8/5/2008, 04:14 PM
Not a packer fan or a favre fan, but as a football fan in general.....I would like to see him play for the vikings. It would makes things very interesting.

r5TPsooner
8/5/2008, 07:36 PM
If the Packers had any class at all they'd release him. They've lost my respect as a fan on the handling of this matter. If he's so washed up, how come you're afraid that he'll kick your *** on Monday nite in a Vikings uniform? If he wants to play let him. If you don't want him, cut him loose.

What a pathetic franchise they've become and I'm a Packers fan!

r5TPsooner
8/5/2008, 07:36 PM
A better song, sorry:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6B8JayH6NQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6B8JayH6NQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(but admittedly a much sheedier video)

I'm kind of already bummed that NP's outta town this weekend, so get back to me later when we see which team he goes to. If he goes to OKC's NBA team, we might have reason to cheer. If he goes to, say, the Minnesota Vikings, somebody kill me now.

Double Fail.

olevetonahill
8/6/2008, 02:28 AM
If I owned the Pack
Id say Here yer Chance you Either Lead or get the **** outta the way >
Nuff said

olevetonahill
8/6/2008, 02:36 AM
Another Point
Id say Brett either Compete fer the Jorb ride the Pine or YOU can Buy out the Contract
Just sayin:D

Salt City Sooner
8/6/2008, 10:50 PM
Sportcenter's saying Farve's a New York Jet.

tulsaoilerfan
8/6/2008, 10:55 PM
Hallelujah, our long national nightmare is over!!!

Salt City Sooner
8/6/2008, 11:07 PM
Fox Sports article: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8381934

Sooner_09
8/6/2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome to New York Favre, now hurry up and beat them damn Pats!

olevetonahill
8/7/2008, 12:42 AM
Brett has been Traded Read all about it .
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-brettfavre&prov=ap&type=lgns

Fraggle145
8/7/2008, 01:20 AM
**** ya. The Jets are my NFL team...

8/7/2008, 01:26 AM
cha- cha-.... cha.... choooooo..... chooang...cha... phbhbhbhbhbh.

olevetonahill
8/7/2008, 02:00 AM
bet they trade him LOL

Salt City Sooner
8/7/2008, 11:31 AM
If they do, it won't be to the Vikings. I just saw on ESPN News that one of the stipulations of the deal is that if the Jets trade him to Minnesota, they owe Green Bay THREE first round draft picks.

JohnnyMack
8/7/2008, 11:34 AM
Green Bay management just didn't want to pay Favre's salary. Period. They wanted to start the rebuilding process around Rodgers and have convinced themselves that Favre is merely a cog. At this point I hope Green Bay goes 7 - 9 or 8 - 8 (although as bad as Chicago & Detroit will be, that's going to be hard).

tommieharris91
8/7/2008, 11:43 AM
This damn trade is all over CNBC now. :mad:

I dunno about the NFC North now, other than it will be fairly weak overall. Minnesota is the best team, but there is enough talent at Green Bay to take the division still. Chicago is going to have a really weak offense. There isn't much at RB, even less at WR, and Rex Grossman is a picks machine. The OL is still good (not great, but good). Detroit could surprise if they found some defense.

JohnnyMack
8/7/2008, 11:58 AM
Minn. 11 - 5
GB 9 - 7
Detroit 7 - 9
Chi. 6 - 10

Something like that.

soonersn20xx
8/7/2008, 12:25 PM
Lovie Smith should be fired, how incompetent must you be to not address the lack of a quality QB after 3 years.

Scott D
8/7/2008, 04:37 PM
Lovie Smith should be fired, how incompetent must you be to not address the lack of a quality QB after 3 years.

but it's the same issue they had before he took over. I'd say the problem is in the ownership and front office. Hell, they didn't even want to pay Jim McMahon when he was there.

r5TPsooner
8/7/2008, 04:49 PM
As a packer fan I always thought as a franchise they were different than most.

After the way that they handled the Favre thing, not so much.

I hope that the Jest trade him to Atlanta (or someone of that nature) then they trade him to the Vikes or Bears.

That would be some funny ****.

Also, Mike McCarthy is an even bigger tool than Bill Belechick and that's saying a lot.

olevetonahill
8/7/2008, 05:00 PM
As a packer fan I always thought as a franchise they were different than most.

After the way that they handled the Favre thing, not so much.

I hope that the Jest trade him to Atlanta (or someone of that nature) then they trade him to the Vikes or Bears.

Also, Mike McCarthy is an even bigger tool than Bill Belechick and that's saying a lot.

What Im thinking Bro

JohnnyMack
8/7/2008, 05:21 PM

Almost as funny as watching Goodell anally rape all the offending teams.

soonersn20xx
8/7/2008, 05:26 PM

I was thinking that too, it would serve them right in trying to avoid having to play Favre with a new team. But I'm sure the contract with the 3 1st round draft penalty clause would still be in effect even if a multiple trade deal like that took place.

As far as football fans are concerned, I think we were cheated by the fact he wasn't allowed to go play for the vikings. So screw Green Bay, I hope they suck for many years to come.

tulsaoilerfan
8/7/2008, 06:56 PM
FYI, Pennington was released today and Favre named the starter