PDA

View Full Version : Obama wants your kids to speak spanish.

Hot Rod
7/10/2008, 08:21 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZprtPat1Vk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZprtPat1Vk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OKLA21FAN
7/10/2008, 08:28 AM
being bi-lingual is such a terrible thing :gary:

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 09:13 AM
They're better off learning Mandarin so they can communicate with our new Chinese overlords.

Octavian
7/10/2008, 09:37 AM
It's embarrassing...it's embarrasing when, uhh, Europeans come over here. They all speak English. They speak French. They speak German.

And then we go over to Europe....and all's we can say is "merci beaucoup."

good gawd :rolleyes:

Weerz all jist so sorry, Mista Obama. Weer jist a buncha simpul Amerukanz, Mista Obama.

We sho hope you aint tew awfuls imbarassd uv alls us Amerikunz. We sho hoap wez will make yuze and yurz wife proud to be wun uv us wun day. Weez uh gonna sho yu how smart we iz by votin fore ya...thin yuz will no weze reely is smart and guud peepulz.

At least his logos and slogans sho is purty.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8503/lockhart3pb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

stoopified
7/10/2008, 10:23 AM
I have no problem withrequiring foreign language in school,my objection starts when you are TOLD what that second languaage should be.I have heard some school districts in Oklahoma REQUIRE Spanish to graduate.That is wrong on many levels.

sooneron
7/10/2008, 10:27 AM
I have no problem withrequiring foreign language in school,my objection starts when you are TOLD what that second languaage should be.I have heard some school districts in Oklahoma REQUIRE Spanish to graduate.That is wrong on many levels.

That is wrong. I Agree with Klatt, we need Mandarin for the guys holding the USA's pink slip.
The problem is with the education system set up so that the kids are nothing but a bunch of test takers, they can't speak whatever language they just took. My sis (a soph at OU next year) took something like 3 years of Spanish at Stratford HS. She couldn't clep out of Spanish 1 at OU. None of the languages being taught today applies to it being conversational, imo.
FWIW, she got all Bs and maybe one A whilst taking it in HS.

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 10:43 AM

It's not like French or German are going to do you much good in this part of the world. Or even the tiny part of the world where they do speak French and German.

NormanPride
7/10/2008, 10:47 AM
good gawd :rolleyes:

Weerz all jist so sorry, Mista Obama. Weer jist a buncha simpul Amerukanz, Mista Obama.

We sho hope you aint tew awfuls imbarassd uv alls us Amerikunz. We sho hoap wez will make yuze and yurz wife proud to be wun uv us wun day. Weez uh gonna sho yu how smart we iz by votin fore ya...thin yuz will no weze reely is smart and guud peepulz.

At least his logos and slogans sho is purty.

I would think being able to see ones flaws would be a good thing for a president. If you think our amazingly ethnocentric worldview is helping us, I have news for you.

Frozen Sooner
7/10/2008, 10:52 AM
I would think being able to see ones flaws would be a good thing for a president. If you think our amazingly ethnocentric worldview is helping us, I have news for you.

Octavian=Bitter Hillary Guy. Don't worry about him, he'll be OK-he's a good guy for all that. The Auntie Mamie talk is a bit surprising, though.

badger
7/10/2008, 10:55 AM
Maybe Obama really is talking down to us :D

Then again, I am pretty short to begin with ;)

Hamhock
7/10/2008, 10:58 AM
I, too, want my kids to speak spanish.

pergdaddy
7/10/2008, 10:59 AM
Based on people I have run into in my short lifetime, maybe we should concentrate on students mastering the English language first, don't you think?

I have no problem with requiring a second language in school, you should have a choice though. Bi-lingual is good and i agree that maybe some form of the Chinese language should be learned for when they take over our mainland and shuttle us off to prison camps all over the Pacific. Wait. Uh, nevermind.

I guess the way I look at it is, I wouldn't go to Germany and pizz and moan and make a big deal about the country of Germany not being able to understand English. I'm sure alot do, but they won't all speak English or know it. I guess I'm ignorant, but I think English in some degree should be required. Heck, Andris Biedrins, a Russian for the Warriors in the NBA, taught himself English so that he could better interact with people in the Bay area.

That is all.

Hamhock
7/10/2008, 10:59 AM
That is wrong. I Agree with Klatt, we need Mandarin for the guys holding the USA's pink slip.
The problem is with the education system set up so that the kids are nothing but a bunch of test takers, they can't speak whatever language they just took. My sis (a soph at OU next year) took something like 3 years of Spanish at Stratford HS. She couldn't clep out of Spanish 1 at OU. None of the languages being taught today applies to it being conversational, imo.
FWIW, she got all Bs and maybe one A whilst taking it in HS.

it's called outcome based education and it's ruining us.

we're teaching our kids to advance to the next grade. we need to teach them how to learn/think/reason.

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 11:04 AM
Bi-lingual is good and i agree that maybe some form of the Chinese language should be learned for when they take over our mainland and shuttle us off to prison camps all over the Pacific.

They don't need to do that. They'll just essentially put us under house arrest and turn the US into a prison camp. Except instead of doing hard labor we'll be doing conspicuous consumption to keep the Chinese economy afloat. Wait a minute....

sooneron
7/10/2008, 11:07 AM
it's called outcome based education and it's ruining us.

we're teaching our kids to advance to the next grade. we need to teach them how to learn/think/reason.

Yes, but that is another thread.

I agree that English is completely mangled by today's yoots.

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 11:12 AM
Learning a foreign language does give you a better grasp of your native tongue, by and large. But then IM/SMS/Facebook/MySpace comes along and destroys it. OMFG!

GrapevineSooner
7/10/2008, 11:26 AM
Generally speaking, it's not a bad idea for KIDS to pick up a second language. Studies show that, if you're going to learn a second language, tis better to learn it early than later in life.

The only things I object to are:

* Along the lines of what mdklatt said, it makes more sense for somebody in Europe to learn French and German because France is right across the English Channel and Germany is just a stone's throw away.

And most of the smaller countries over there that don't have their own natualized language speak either English, French, or German.

* In the United States, it's not really a de facto requirement to speak a second language unless you live on the border with Quebec or down south near Mexico.

Bone
7/10/2008, 11:41 AM

Ditto. Requiring a foreign language is fine. Forcing a specific language is wrong. The sticking point here is that many small school districts will only be able to afford / find one foreign language teacher which will effectively force a specific language on a lot of students.

Soonrboy
7/10/2008, 11:41 AM
The reason that most schools only offer Spanish is because of funding and staffing, especially if you go to a small school. There aren't enough people to teach German or French. Finding a Spanish teacher is usually much easier. Plus you have to have so many credits of a foreign language to graduate.

Big Red Ron
7/10/2008, 11:47 AM
I took Italian because I was born there, it should be a choice as to what your kids learn.

What Mr. Obama doesn't account for is that English is the international language for business.

Also, Europe is so small that they have to learn different languages. It'd be like if Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and Colorado all spoke different languages, well then of course we'd learn those languages.

Obama is really starting to bore me. I thought he was "different" and offered something "new." Sounds like just good ol' fashion liberalism to me.

Bone
7/10/2008, 12:02 PM
Liberalism is a disease.

Soonrboy
7/10/2008, 12:08 PM
So is ignorance.

Bone
7/10/2008, 12:10 PM
So is ignorance.

Agreed.

Big Red Ron
7/10/2008, 12:46 PM
So is ignorance.One goes hand in hand with the other.

OULenexaman
7/10/2008, 12:46 PM
if Jesse cuts his nuts off Obama will create a whole new language...Nonutslish...he speaks it now once in a while...

Octavian
7/10/2008, 12:55 PM
If you think our amazingly ethnocentric worldview is helping us, I have news for you.

you forgot incredibly myopic....astoundingly narrow minded...and profoundly xenophobic

here's an English writing lesson: employing "ly" adverbs prior to an adjective weakens the sentence by overstating the case.

Journalists and social science majors love to employ them...and, not coincidentally, most are incredibly poor writers.

Now if I could just type all of that in Spanish so I could please Barack Obama...if only...we'd both be stupendously content.

Octavian
7/10/2008, 12:57 PM
Octavian=Bitter Hillary Guy. Don't worry about him, he'll be OK-he's a good guy for all that. The Auntie Mamie talk is a bit surprising, though.

;)

RacerX
7/10/2008, 12:57 PM
They're better off learning Mandarin so they can communicate with our new Chinese overlords.

yep

Okla-homey
7/10/2008, 01:30 PM
Also, Europe is so small that they have to learn different languages. It'd be like if Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and Colorado all spoke different languages, well then of course we'd learn those languages.

I dunno about that. I know a few folks who speak Muscogee (Creek) fluently and who don't know a word of Osage or Cherokee.;)

BillyBall
7/10/2008, 02:07 PM
I'm all for our kids learning another language, problem is that many of them can barely grasp English.

Scott D
7/10/2008, 04:12 PM
I just spent a day in a pharmacy that plays Al Jazeera tv news all day. The reporters on that channel speak better english than most Americans I know.

Makes me glad about my high school having so many military students. We had language options. Spanish, French, German, Japanese, and they added Italian, Russian, and Chinese (Mandarin) as after school language classes.

Sooner_Havok
7/10/2008, 04:23 PM
From elementary school to high school I had to take spanish. In high school the strongly recommended you chose from either spanish or french. In college I was forced to take a foreign language...Oh-see-YOH biatches!

Animal Mother
7/10/2008, 04:53 PM
Obama will be president, so get used to it. They're filming another "Tales From The Crypt' movie and McCain is slated to be the Crypt Keeper once again.He'll be too busy to campaign effectively.

Thanks DC

Harry Beanbag
7/10/2008, 06:10 PM
Our kids wouldn't have to worry about speaking Spanish if we SECURED THE ****ING BORDER!

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 06:14 PM
Our kids wouldn't have to worry about speaking Spanish if we SECURED THE ****ING BORDER!

:D

def_lazer_fc
7/10/2008, 09:51 PM

thats funny. spanish was pushed as a good language to learn long ago and i never heard anyone bitching about the borders then.:rolleyes:

maybe we can just build a huge dome over the us and keep all the bad stuff out.

MR2-Sooner86
7/10/2008, 10:07 PM
thats funny. spanish was pushed as a good language to learn long ago and i never heard anyone bitching about the borders then.:rolleyes:

Spanish a good language to learn? Call me crazy but if I had a choice I'd say Latin would be a much better language to learn than Spanish.

Besides Spanish is easy to learn. You just pick up anything now and under the English text is the Spanish translation.

SouthFortySooner
7/10/2008, 10:15 PM
Here in southeast OK we have many more issues which brand us as backward to worry too much about our inability to speak spanish. :rolleyes:

def_lazer_fc
7/10/2008, 10:22 PM
Besides Spanish is easy to learn. You just pick up anything now and under the English text is the Spanish translation.

too bad life doesn't come with subtitles.

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 10:58 PM
Learning Spanish is one thing, that Obama thinks we're all a bunch of dumasses, I'm not so OK with.

Big Red Ron
7/10/2008, 11:19 PM
Learning Spanish is one thing, that Obama thinks we're all a bunch of dumasses, I'm not so OK with.bingo

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 11:26 PM
bingo

Exactly, I didn't hear his actual words until this evening, but he's one condescending MFer. :mad:

CORNholio
7/10/2008, 11:37 PM
It's all just tied to the secret NAFTA plan. If we are all gonna be one country someday we had better get to learning each others languages.

Big Red Ron
7/10/2008, 11:45 PM
It's all just tied to the secret NAFTA plan. If we are all gonna be one country someday we had better get to learning each others languages.BS; they want "in," they need to accommodate the Americans and Canadians, English is the international language of business anyway.

BTW, the scenario you illustrated, will not ever happen.

Blue
7/10/2008, 11:51 PM
Never say never. If the dollar becomes worthless, we won't have a choice.

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 11:53 PM
**** him . I want My grankids learning cajun coonass talk .

Harry Beanbag
7/11/2008, 07:20 AM

maybe we can just build a huge dome over the us and keep all the bad stuff out.

Nothing wrong with Spanish, I took three years in high school. If you plan to immigrate to this country, legally or not, you need to assimilate to the standards and traditions of the United States. Many of our current crop of immigrants are stubbornly not doing that and expect the United States to change its ways. But you either totally missed my point or don't see anything wrong with unchecked immigration in the first place, so whatever.

Harry Beanbag
7/11/2008, 07:26 AM
Exactly, I didn't hear his actual words until this evening, but he's one condescending MFer. :mad:

And possibly the world's biggest hypocrite, not a desirable combination for leader of the free world.

yermom
7/11/2008, 07:52 AM
I'm all for our kids learning another language, problem is that many of them can barely grasp English.

surprisingly (hi Octavian) learning another language helps with that

there are much worse things than having kids learn more.

Chinese is probably a good choice, but Spanish is more practical. and easier.

it didn't sound like he was talking about mandates in school, but the reality is that the Spanish speaking population is growing, and no matter who is President, i don't really see that changing. if your kids already speak Spanish they would be better off if/when we become more bilingual as a country

learning another language early on in life is a lot easier than later, and makes learning others easier as well

so when they need to learn Chinese, they will be better off :D

85Sooner
7/11/2008, 08:38 AM
Mandarin Chinese, working on it with rosetta stone now. Guess I'll be ready for the olympics huh:)

SanJoaquinSooner
7/11/2008, 09:28 AM

Last year, my wife taught Spanish in an after-school program at our children's elementary school. The majority of students who signed up for the class were of Asian descent.

Frozen Sooner
7/11/2008, 09:29 AM
Man, what a jerk to say that instead of worrying about other people, you should take care of your own people. I wonder where he could have gotten such a sentiment.

JohnnyMack
7/11/2008, 10:02 AM
When my wife and I went to France we went over both having a limited, but well intended French vocabulary. Every time we encountered someone we made the effort to initiate the conversation in French. The person we were talking to almost always realized (not too difficult :)) we were Americans and spoke to us in English. It seems the people who most often encounter difficulties and end up complaining about how rude other nations are, are the ones who don't make any effort to look at the world from any other perspective.

Yay ethnocentrism!

mdklatt
7/11/2008, 10:09 AM
It seems the people who most often encounter difficulties and end up complaining about how rude other nations are, are the ones who don't make any effort to look at the world from any other perspective.

:les: YOU'RE BEING CONDESCENDING!

trey
7/11/2008, 10:27 AM
Nothing wrong with Spanish, I took three years in high school. If you plan to immigrate to this country, legally or not, you need to assimilate to the standards and traditions of the United States. Many of our current crop of immigrants are stubbornly not doing that and expect the United States to change its ways. But you either totally missed my point or don't see anything wrong with unchecked immigration in the first place, so whatever.

I disagree with your statement "you need to assimilate to standards and traditions of the US". Spanish speaking people don't need to do that at all. There is spanish radio, tv, newspapers, and in spanish speaking communities every business owner hires spanish speaking people. what incentive do they have to speak english? i live in california and soon english speakers will be the minority. i can be stubborn and say "this is america, speak english", to which their reply would be chinga te' (eff u) or i can encourage my kids to speak spanish and stay ahead of the game. so to speak.

John Kochtoston
7/11/2008, 10:30 AM
When my wife and I went to France we went over both having a limited, but well intended French vocabulary. Every time we encountered someone we made the effort to initiate the conversation in French. The person we were talking to almost always realized (not too difficult :)) we were Americans and spoke to us in English. It seems the people who most often encounter difficulties and end up complaining about how rude other nations are, are the ones who don't make any effort to look at the world from any other perspective.

Yay ethnocentrism!

Swap "French" for "German" (yeah, I know), I had a remarkably similar experience.

SleestakSooner
7/11/2008, 10:43 AM
Now encouraging people to learn a second language is being a condescending elitist?

Perhaps ignorance is bliss for some of you, but when you find yourselves running south of the border to buy gas and exchange your greenbacks for dineros you might wish you had learned to habla amigo.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/11/2008, 11:41 AM
Accommodating immigrants isn't the reason one should desire for one's kids to learn a second language.

5.4% of the world speaks English as a first language, and another 2.8% speak English as a second language in varying degrees of proficiency. The remaining 91.8% of the world's consumers do not speak English.

It's a matter of acquiring skills to position oneself for more opportunities in life.

Scott D
7/11/2008, 01:15 PM
I for one will be content when I finish learning both Swedish and Gaelic. Especially when I move to Sweden....forever!

Curly Bill
7/11/2008, 02:17 PM
Now encouraging people to learn a second language is being a condescending elitist?

No, it's more the way this arrogant, elitist, ivory tower, arugula eating, nancy-boy, talks down to us bitter, gun owning, Bible clingers that makes him a condescending elitist.

JohnnyMack
7/11/2008, 02:44 PM
No, it's more the way this arrogant, elitist, ivory tower, arugula eating, nancy-boy, talks down to us bitter, gun owning, Bible clingers that makes him a condescending elitist.

As opposed to the down to earth John McCain, right? Got yourself convinced he's a normal guy do ya?

CORNholio
7/11/2008, 04:22 PM
As opposed to the down to earth John McCain, right? Got yourself convinced he's a normal guy do ya?

Guy was a POW. POW's are not really known for being condescending, elitist, closet racists. Usually takes a pretty humble unselfish kind of person to make it through that kind of thing, so no I wouldn't say McCain is normal but better than normal.

mdklatt
7/11/2008, 04:36 PM
Usually takes a pretty humble unselfish kind of person to make it through that kind of thing, so no I wouldn't say McCain is normal but better than normal.

I don't know how unselfish it is to cheat on your wife and then dump her for your younger, richer mistress. Or how humble it is to call your second wife a ****. POW or not, McCain is no saint. I think he's a lot more ruthless than people give him credit for. He certainly has anger management issues, but not as bad as he used to be. Or maybe he's just better at hiding it now.

OULenexaman
7/11/2008, 04:44 PM
What Obama is hiding is what you should fear...

Sooner_Havok
7/11/2008, 04:47 PM
What Obama is hiding is what you should fear...

His Islamo-fascist background? Nah, I am cool with that. Got an 'E' hanging on my wall so I will be prepared for his presidency. Also, I have all my guns boxed up ready to be sent to him.

Curly Bill
7/11/2008, 06:03 PM

Not really, but when compared to Obama? Then hell yeah.

Harry Beanbag
7/11/2008, 06:56 PM
I disagree with your statement "you need to assimilate to standards and traditions of the US". Spanish speaking people don't need to do that at all. There is spanish radio, tv, newspapers, and in spanish speaking communities every business owner hires spanish speaking people. what incentive do they have to speak english? i live in california and soon english speakers will be the minority. i can be stubborn and say "this is america, speak english", to which their reply would be chinga te' (eff u) or i can encourage my kids to speak spanish and stay ahead of the game. so to speak.

Well yeah, that's the problem. Millions upon millions of immigrants have assimilated into this country over the last 200+ years, what makes these people different?

Harry Beanbag
7/11/2008, 06:58 PM
What does McCain have to do with this discussion. Deflection is a defensive tactic, no?